Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,750 members, 7,802,298 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program (7281 Views)

I’m Shocked, Says Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki...... / Dear Dr Bukola Saraki,(This is definitely NOT the CHANGE we voted for!) / Bukola Saraki Is The Senate President Of The 8th NASS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by kolayusuf: 7:32am On Aug 23, 2010
Kwara State governor, Dr. Abubabakar Bukola Saraki on Thursday (August 19, 2010) commissioned a Dairy Development Program at Shonga in the Edu local government area of the state. The aim of the program is to make the products of the Shonga dairy consortium more accessible to members of the the public.The program is a joint project between the Kwara State government, WAMCO Campina Friesland (makers of Peak, Three Crowns, and Friso brands of milk), and the Shonga dairy consortium.

Under the program, the Shonga dairy consortium will supply WAMCO Campina Friesland with fresh milk for production purposes. This will be the first fresh milk collection initiative of WAMCO Campina Friesland in 35 years of operation. The Shonga dairy consortium currently has one of the largest dairy farms in the country. It has 850 milking cows, and is capable of producing 60,000 liters of fresh milk per day.

According to the The Managing Director of Friesland Campina WAMCO, Mr. Bob Steetskamp, the program was made possible by the commitment of Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, whom he met at a meeting of stakeholders in the Nigerian agricultural sector about 6 months ago. He revealed the that the meeting was a turning point for WAMCO, which decided to embark on the Dairy Development Programme speedily. He expressed the readiness of WAMCO to explore all opportunities to ensure the success of dairy development in Nigeria. He however called on the Federal Government to provide moral and material support to overcome bureaucratic problems among others.

Dr. Bukola Saraki being conducted around Shonga dairy farm

Jersey cows at the Shonga dairy farm

Part of the Shonga milk processing factory

Speaking at the event, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki said the commisioning of the Dairy Development Program further goes to show the commitment of his administration to its commercial agricultural project. According to him, "with the commissioning today, it will further prove to the people that we mean business." Indeed the Kwara State Government under Dr. Bukola Saraki has been unflagging in its commitment to its commercial agriculture project, leaving nothing to chance in order to ensure its success.

Dr. Saraki said that his administration wanted to demonstrate to the whole country that its policies and programs were achievable. He also called on the Federal government to follow suit by creating an enabling atmosphere to encourage firms to come and invest in the country. He observed with dismay the low quality of milk available for sale in the Nigerian market. He pointed out that the modern milk factory of the Shonga dairy consortium produces ultra-high temperarure (UHT) milk, which is of high quality.

Mr. Jacob Ajekigbe, the chairman of the board of directors (WAMCO) also spoke at the event. He commended the hpst communities for their cooperation and expressed the willingness of WAMCO wo carry the partnership to the next level.
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by vanitty: 12:51pm On Aug 23, 2010
Good progress
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by spearman(m): 1:40pm On Aug 23, 2010
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by trublu1(f): 1:48pm On Aug 23, 2010
I think this is an excellent partnership. It will be very good for the local area
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by seyibrown(f): 1:55pm On Aug 23, 2010
smiley
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by Becomrich0: 2:17pm On Aug 23, 2010
Stop telling them lies spearman. bayelsa state is the richest state. While Oyo state and lagos state are the poorest. I dont know where you people got the figures from.

Look you means it based on per head from the federal govt. Bayelsa state get N8333 for every person from the federal govt, while oyo state get N180 , while lagos get about N181 , Ogun state get N255.

Bayelsa state N8333 per head (person)
oyo state get N180 per head (person)
lagos get about N181 per head (person)
Ogun state get N255 per head (person)
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by HamidO1(m): 2:28pm On Aug 23, 2010
After makin us 1 of the poorest states in the country. na wa o
spearman:

Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp)
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:11 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rank State GDP (PPP$)

1 Lagos State 33,679,258,023

2 Rivers State 21,073,410,422

3 Delta State 16,749,250,544

4 Oyo State 16,121,670,484

5 Imo State 14,212,637,486

6 Kano State 12,393,103,864

7 Edo State 11,888,446,884

8 Akwa Ibom State 11,179,887,963

9 Ogun State 10,470,415,017

10 Kaduna State 10,334,763,785

11 Cross River State 9,292,059,207

12 Abia State 8,687,442,705

13 Ondo State 8,414,302,623

14 Osun State 7,280,597,521

15 Benue State 6,864,209,262

16 Anambra State 6,764,219,562

17 Katsina State 6,022,655,197

18 Niger State 6,002,007,080

19 Borno State 5,175,165,142

20 Plateau State 5,154,059,937

21 Sokoto State 4,818,615,261

22 Bauchi State 4,713,858,180

23 Kogi State 4,642,794,262

24 Adamawa State 4,582,045,246

25 Enugu State 4,396,590,769

26 Bayelsa State 4,337,065,923

27 Zamfara State 4,123,829,498

[b]28 Kwara State 3,841,827,534 lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

29 Taraba State 3,397,790,217

30 Kebbi State 3,290,847,166

31 Nassarawa State 3,022,828,885

32 Jigawa State 2,988,014,405

33 Ekiti State 2,848,372,512

34 Ebonyi State 2,732,472,739

35 Gombe State 2,500,467,306

36 Yobe State 2,011,499,081

- Federal Capital Territory 5,010,968,012

Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by Harzan(m): 2:37pm On Aug 23, 2010
I cant help but  cry for my dear state as dis politicians ar drivin tins, 
Dis folish gov'nor tot he has done somtin worth our already dead economy!

God bless Nigeria
God bless Kwara State!

cry                            cry                                   cry
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by DisGuy: 3:01pm On Aug 23, 2010
Hamid O:

After makin us 1 of the poorest states in the country. na wa o

How did he make kwara one of the poorest? what was the position of kwara before?
Was kwara rich before? I dont know why people are getting carried away by that list
if anything the list should be compared with developments in the states 2010what was it like before and what is it like now?

most of the state up the list have huge population and natural resources = oil
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by oludashmi(f): 3:04pm On Aug 23, 2010
Good move towards better economy only if they will be truthful to the finance derived from the lovely project.
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by xtri: 3:29pm On Aug 23, 2010
what is the benefits of all these to average citizens
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by DisGuy: 3:41pm On Aug 23, 2010
xtri:

what is the benefits of all these to average citizens
Employments, Very cheap food prices and a quiet industrialization of the state with the oncoming of food processing plants
generally results of agricultural projects are very long term, one of the main reason governors/businessmen in nigeria dont go into it
they want money now now!!!
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by Akanbiedu(m): 3:42pm On Aug 23, 2010
Harzan:

I cant help but  cry for my dear state as dis politicians ar drivin tins, 
Dis folish gov'nor tot he has done somtin worth our already dead economy!

God bless Nigeria
God bless Kwara State!

cry                            cry                                   cry

? I bet you would have preferred he did nothing. Afterall, governors that do nothing enjoy their peace more.
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by mynameisoy: 3:51pm On Aug 23, 2010
I was listening to Top radio last weekend and heard this song, Maya by DMSquared, I didnt know who he was and decided to check up on him online. Actually he seems to be a hot deal cos he was on Notjust ok, Bella Naija and a few other sites, does anyone know more about him? here are the links

Not just ok
www.notjustok.com/2010/08/20/dmsquared-maya/
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by xtri: 3:57pm On Aug 23, 2010
is it today we ve been hearing of developmental program if u like let this people be deceiving u not me
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by Harzan(m): 4:39pm On Aug 23, 2010
mynameisoy:

I was listening to Top radio last weekend and heard this song, Maya by DMSquared, I didnt know who he was and decided to check up on him online. Actually he seems to be a hot deal cos he was on Notjust ok, Bella Naija and a few other sites, does anyone know more about him? here are the links

Not just ok
www.notjustok.com/2010/08/20/dmsquared-maya/

U AR SICK!
Dont U kno ur way to d musik threads! Were!!!

Dis Guy:

Employments, Very cheap food prices and a quiet industrialization of the state with the oncoming of food processing plants
generally results of agricultural projects are very long term, one of the main reason governors/businessmen in nigeria dont go into it
they want money now now!!!

@Dis guy, i know U no base for ilorin, so lipsrsealed!
For all what he did with d Shonga Scam, do U know d price of food stuff in kwara,
pls stop typing wat u know nothin abt! Is dat clear
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by DisGuy: 5:09pm On Aug 23, 2010
Harzan:

U AR SICK!
Dont U kno your way to d musik threads! Were!!!

@Dis guy, i know U no base for ilorin, so  lipsrsealed!
For all what he did with d Shonga Scam, do U know d price of food stuff in kwara,
you are not making sense- is that clear? that's typical primary school phrase
If im not based in kwara i can still make my observation based on others and general trend from previous years
If you want to start a debate please do state your opinion about ongoings in context with other state and nigeria generally
if you put your points across like normal being I'll take you point but if you are just going to tell me i don't live there so i don't know then piss off!

I dont have to live in Moscow to know its cold there
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by kolayusuf: 5:30pm On Aug 23, 2010

@Dis guy, i know U no base for ilorin, so  Lips sealed!
pls stop typing wat u know nothin abt! Is dat clear Huh

@ Harzan: What you fail to understand is that cheap food prices, is one of the later benefits of a project such as Shonga Farms. This is a commercial agricultural project, meaning that for the purposes of marketing, it will initially be targeted at outfits that require extremely large quantities of the produce, most usually outfits that will add value to these products before taking them to market.

Agriculture is a long-term business as someone earlier said. If you are looking for the immediate benefits, then look at the transformation of the surrounding community in terms of infrastructure - roads, electricity, telecommunications, employment, knowledge transfer. Also look at the amount that is coming to the state coffers in terms of taxation. VAT alone is 5%. This means on a 10million naira transaction VAT will be N500,000. Kwara State posted 1billion IGR in the first quarter of this year - where do you think the money is coming from? You may say 1billion IGR is small,  but as far back as 2005, we could not even make up to N3billion in an entire year. I know that in Shonga people used to travel to other villages to be able to make phone calls - they no longer have to do so, farm workers are sourced from the local community, Shonga is now being connected to the power injection substation constructed there. The whole project has changed the economy of Shonga tremendously.

If you are looking at projects, which deliver products to the local market presently, you should be looking at something like Duku Lade rice project, which produces the rice popularly called "rice Bukky", which is sold locally.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by Akanbiedu(m): 5:54pm On Aug 23, 2010
Harzan:

@Dis guy, i know U no base for ilorin, so lipsrsealed!

Like food should be FREE by now?

kola_yusuf:

@ Harzan: What you fail to understand is that cheap food prices, is one of the later benefits of a project such as Shonga Farms. This is a commercial agricultural project, meaning that for the purposes of marketing, it will initially be targeted at outfits that require extremely large quantities of the produce, most usually outfits that will add value to these products before taking them to market.

Agriculture is a long-term business as someone earlier said. If you are looking for the immediate benefits, then look at the transformation of the surrounding community in terms of infrastructure - roads, electricity, telecommunications, employment, knowledge transfer. Also look at the amount that is coming to the state coffers in terms of taxation. VAT alone is 5%. This means on a 10million naira transaction VAT will be N500,000. Kwara State posted 1billion IGR in the first quarter of this year - where do you think the money is coming from? You may say 1billion IGR is small,  but as far back as 2005, we could not even make up to N3billion in an entire year. I know that in Shonga people used to travel to other villages to be able to make phone calls - they no longer have to do so, farm workers are sourced from the local community, Shonga is now being connected to the power injection substation constructed there. The whole project has changed the economy of Shonga tremendously.

If you are looking at projects, which deliver products to the local market presently, you should be looking at something like Duku Lade rice project, which produces the rice popularly called "rice Bukky", which is sold locally.

Thank you. Many Nigerians still think the purpose of having government is to make everything FREE. What about the economic activities stimulated?
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by malali: 5:59pm On Aug 23, 2010
I HOPE THEY HAVE TIGHT SECURITIES FOR THE COWS
AS THE GHOST OF SOCIETE GENERAL STILL LIVES IN KWARA

MAKE ALL THE COW NO GO MISS FOR NIGHT grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by Becomrich0: 6:41pm On Aug 23, 2010
olusola saraki childhood friend is call jimoh.
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by Princek12(m): 6:56pm On Aug 23, 2010
Great job, governor. If Fashola were the one who did something similar to this, he would have been criticized by some people here for not prioritizing.
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by Nobody: 7:31pm On Aug 23, 2010
In all honesty, If this project is true and properly managed, Kwara will be the richest state in no time. Nigeria has paid it's dues. I just came back from a conference today (I'm a good sneaker in my sneakers with my favour bar snickers),  I just wanted to hear the conference was all about cause it said, Africa and the New World Order conference on a plasma screen in Manhattan (ain't telling the building) (My holiday is over cry cry).  Anyways, the main purpose was preparing African nations "that has paid there dues" for the new world industrialization.

All I could pick up was these guys will put us in the 60s and 80s in tech while they move on if we don't develop ourselves. The conference had  reps from different countries in Europe and all they seemed to be saying was investing in African nations with "ally potentials". The only blck man in the conference was some dude like me (mixed) so I thought these guys are thinking business not Africa. They proposed public private partnership to give their investments in Africa a stronghold,  It seems these guys are scared of losing their investments to uprisings (anyone will).

Then I saw this thread and others I saw as I came back and to me it seems what those guys were talking about has already started and it's going on. In my visits to Kwara state (Ilorin, Oron, Omu Raron, Lafigi, Ofa), I thought these people are naturally agrarians. So the government investing in stuffs like this one here, It seems close to home!!
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by kenoalords(m): 7:35pm On Aug 23, 2010
Visit http://gbosa.com for events across Nigeria, you can register to post your own events, parties, album launch, shows etc. You can also rate events, comment, show interest and get update on upcoming events, Be sure to check out http://gbosa.com, send an email to [email]keno@gbosa.com[/email] for more information,
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by naijacutee(f): 7:39pm On Aug 23, 2010
This is a welcome development, as the expectation is that anything reducing our dependence on imported food in Nigeria will ultimately lead to cheaper food on the average Nigerians table (And more money in the pocket). This is an area I'm very interested in, and which I have spent a lot of time thinking about. Obviously things are improving all over the country, and Governor Saraki is obviously positioning Kwara State to be the potential food basket of the nation. I respect his foresight. However, I have one small observation with regards to the feasibility of the dairy production business structure. If the plant is producing UHT milk, how valuable would this be to the average Nigerian (compared with dried milk), seeing that electricity in our country is erractic at its best? Will the average Nigerian be appreciate UHT (as it is not fresh) milk over dried milk? What are your views? In this thread (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-209096.0.html) most people voted Peak milk as their choice over Cowbell. Where do people think UHT liquid milk (of whatever brand) will stand in this picture?
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by DisGuy: 7:45pm On Aug 23, 2010
naijacutee:

This is a welcome development, as the expectation is that anything reducing our dependence on imported food in Nigeria will ultimately lead to cheaper food on the average Nigerians table (And more money in the pocket). This is an area I'm very interested in, and which I have spent a lot of time thinking about. Obviously things are improving all over the country, and Governor Saraki is obviously positioning Kwara State to be the potential food basket of the nation. I respect his foresight. However, I have one small observation with regards to the feasibility of the dairy production business structure. If the plant is producing UHT milk, how valuable would this be to the average Nigerian (compared with dried milk), seeing that electricity in our country is erractic at its best? Will the average Nigerian be appreciate UHT (as it is not fresh) milk over dried milk? What are your views? In this thread (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-209096.0.html) most people voted Peak milk as their choice over Cowbell. Where do people think UHT liquid milk (of whatever brand) will stand in this picture?

Fresh milk is mainly targeted as Industry- food processing companies, hotels and ice-cream/yoghurt making companies and fresh milk is used for WARA cheesy
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by tlops(m): 7:54pm On Aug 23, 2010
fresh milk are also sold ton end users directly!!
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by bisolaoni: 8:11pm On Aug 23, 2010
Allow me to digress a bit. The investment in commercial agriculture is a medium to long-term investment. The kinds of investments that empower communities economically take years to yield the result. Any good student of development will know that it is a long and torturous road down which only visionary leaders can lead their people. For instance the Euro-Tunnel project in Europe was projected to take at least 10 years to break even. Having said that, such projects are not without incidental benefits. Someone has mentioned the issue of value added tax. I also want to point out the impact on the host community. The Shonga that I know was an agrarian community. The only traders in the area were Yoruba people from Ogbomoso, or Ibo people from the east. The natives did not indulge in any kind of trading at all. If they wanted to make a phone call, they had to travel to neighbouring villages. However as we speak today, they have mobile telephone services in their community, new roads have been constructed, they are employed on the Shonga farms and dairy. When you are approach Shonga today, the first indication you get is a stream of motor cycles, which shows that money is entering the economy of the agrarian society. The females are starting to do petty trading where previously they did not have the resources for such. Recently, the directive was given for the Shonga community to be connected to the power injection substation at Shonga, which will give the community reliable electricity.

I think as with any other sound project, the Shonga project is actually touching lives in a practical and visible way. At least the people of Shonga will agree.

Dr. Bukola Saraki giving the directive for Shonga to be connected to power substation

The Shonga power substation
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by Harzan(m): 9:23pm On Aug 23, 2010
@Dis guy, Akanbi-edu + kola yusuf:
OK, i cant shout!!!

Ans this pls:
The Shonga farm of a thing is owned by who?
Kwara state Govt or d Sarakites.
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by naijacutee(f): 9:29pm On Aug 23, 2010
Dis Guy:

Fresh milk is mainly targeted as Industry- food processing companies, hotels and ice-cream/yoghurt making companies and fresh milk is used for WARA  cheesy

Thanks for pointing that out - I should have read the first paragraph properly! I got slightly analytical when I saw "members of the public". . .
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by kolayusuf: 10:13pm On Aug 23, 2010
Harzan: @Dis guy, Akanbi-edu + kola yusuf:
OK, i cant shout!!!

Ans this pls:
The Shonga farm of a thing is owned by who?
Kwara state Govt or d Sarakites.

The ownership structure of the Shonga Farms is public knowledge, but many people do not take the trouble to find out. The financing of the Shonga Farms is handled by Shonga Farm Holdings, which consists of the Kwara State government and 5 banks, namely Intercontinental Bank Plc, Guaranty Bank Plc, FinBank Plc, Platinum-Habib Bank Plc, Unity Bank Plc. Shonga Farm Holdings owns 60% of each farm in project (there are 13 farms in the project at present). The banks own 75% equity in Shonga Farm Holdings, while Kwara State holds 25%. If you do the maths, this gives Kwara State 15% equity in each farm. So it breaks down like this.

OWNERSHIP STRUCTURE
1. Kwara State Government - 15%
2. New Nigerian Farmers - 40%
3. The Banks (Intercontinental, Guaranty, FinBank, Platinum-Habib and Unity) - 45%

You can see the following sources for more information.
Shonga Farm Holdings
The Kwara Shonga Agric Project
Re: Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program by Harzan(m): 10:39pm On Aug 23, 2010
^^^
O.K oooh, tanx for ya research work, here i quit!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Plateau Governor Visits Suntai In Germany / President Buhari's Victory Is Affirmation Of Confidence. - King Of Morocco / Benjamin Kalu: Why We Increased 2021 Budget To ₦13.588 Trillion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.