Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,906 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

A Nigerian Word That Has The Same Meaning In D 3 Major Tribes Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Nigerian Word That Has The Same Meaning In D 3 Major Tribes Languages (5402 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nigerian Word That Has The Same Meaning In D 3 Major Tribes Languages by TYlicious(f): 6:19pm On Aug 23, 2010
I'd like to know if there is any nigerian word that means the same thing in yoruba,hausa n igbo languages, just curious, and does these languages have a common word too?
Re: A Nigerian Word That Has The Same Meaning In D 3 Major Tribes Languages by ezeagu(m): 11:42pm On Aug 24, 2010
This is very strange, I was thinking about making a very similar, in fact the same thread just now. Okay, all I know in Yoruba and Igbo is Ewu and Ewure and Omo and Umu, they're similar but not the same, I'm not sure of Hausa, the only one who can do this would be someone who speaks three of the languages.
Re: A Nigerian Word That Has The Same Meaning In D 3 Major Tribes Languages by thewife: 12:02am On Aug 25, 2010
onu (igbo) and enu (yoruba) = mouth

sama (hausa) and (somo) yoruba = up/heaven

owu (igbo) and owu (yoruba) = thread

imi (igbo) and imu (yoruba) = nose

gani (hausa) and geni (yoruba) = see

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Word That Has The Same Meaning In D 3 Major Tribes Languages by kodewrita(m): 12:37pm On Aug 25, 2010
the similarity between hausa and yoruba occur because we have been taking words from them for a long time due to trade.

example.

[list]
[li] nama(meat in hausa) and it is the same meaning in Oyo town.[/li]
[li]jimoh(current word for friday) is jumaa in hausa and arabic[/li]
[li]alafia in yoruba is Lafia in hausa[/li]
[li]al-basa(hausa for Onion) is alubosa in yoruba[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]alamisi (thursday) is al-hamis in arabic (hausas use the same word)[/li]
[li]tatase(a form of pepper) is called tatase by yoruba, tatashe by ibo,hausa and urhobo.
[/li]
[li]sama is called sonmon(i wrote the pronounciation anyway). mean the same thing.[/li][/list]
Re: A Nigerian Word That Has The Same Meaning In D 3 Major Tribes Languages by Obiagu1(m): 1:49pm On Aug 26, 2010
Igbo and Hausa have no common or related word(s).

(1) (Reply)

History Of Nupe People Of Niger State - 'briefly' / If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? / Don't You Feel Ashamed When You Kiss Up To Someone Elses Culture More So Than...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.