Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,262 members, 7,807,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami (2578 Views)

Segun Odegbami For FIFA President Promo Photos / Here Are The NFF Presidency Candidates / Is NFF Presidency The Exclusive Right Of The North? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by oladayo042: 8:20am On Aug 25, 2010
Former Green Eagles captain, Segun Odegbami, has dismissed the idea that the presidency of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has been zoned to the north, as laughable.

Odegbami said he is still in the race for the presidency of the federations, and that he will contest in the NFF elections - scheduled to hold on Thursday in Abuja.

There were reports in the media early this week that the a caucus of the NFF Congress, which met at the weekend in Abuja had zoned the presidency to the north effectively ending the ambition of Odegbami and former Nigeria Premier League chairman, Oyuiki Obaseki as well as journalist, Fan Ndubuoke to lead the federation.

“How can anyone say the presidency of the NFF has been zoned to the north? Where did they get that from? Is it written down anywhere in the books? Odegbami asked.

“I think the whole thing is just a joke and I am certainly not taking it seriously. I am still in the race and will not be distracted by such whimsical matter. I am contesting for the presidency of the NFF because I believe that we need to change the way the game is been administered in this country and it will take more such silly rumours to put me off,” he said.

Horse trading

While Odegbami continues to insist on running, his kinsman, Bukola Olopade, who is currently the Commissioner for Sports in Ogun State, has shelved his presidential ambition. His spokesman, Hakeem Ojaleye said the decision was taken in the ‘overall interest of Nigerian football’.

According to sources in the NFF, Olopade stepped down because he was promised the position of Secretary General should any of the northern candidates win the presidency.

Ojaleye said this is far from the truth.

“He has not struck any deal with anybody. He is still young and can still lead Nigerian football in future. Any talk of a deal is totally false,” he said.

FIFA watching

The election, which takes place tomorrow, is still generating controversy with some people calling for to be postponement until after elections are held into the state football association, a move the present NFF leadership headed by Aminu Maigari has continued to resist.

World football governing body, FIFA in response to a mail on Tuesday said it was monitoring the situation.

“One of FIFA’s duties is to ensure the independence of the Member Associations from external interference and to ensure that the football family in each country can have the best possible conditions to develop the game. That is the reason why we directly monitor the situation in each FIFA member association that they comply with their statutes. As such FIFA will also be present as an observer on Thursday when the election in Nigeria will take place to monitor the process and to verify that it is conducted in accordance with the NFF statutes,” said Pekka Odriozola, its acting head of media.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Football/5610634-146/story.csp
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by oladayo042: 8:23am On Aug 25, 2010
Zoning has beclouded our thinking in this country.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by folem: 9:22am On Aug 25, 2010
Odegbami would have had no complaints if NFF President was zoned to South West. NPL Chairman was zoned to the South and he didn't complain either.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by honeric01(m): 10:54am On Aug 25, 2010
folem:

Odegbami would have had no complaints if NFF President was zoned to South West. NPL Chairman was zoned to the South and he didn't complain either.

And who told you it was zoned to the SS? just because those who won it came from SS did not mean it was zoned, can you please stop promoting all these rubbish?

BTW, why is FIFA here to inspect? why Nigeria all the time?
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by folem: 11:07am On Aug 25, 2010
honeric01:

And who told you it was zoned to the SS? just because those who won it came from SS did not mean it was zoned, can you please stop promoting all these rubbish?

Pls mind your language. I will no longer respond to your posts if you are not civil while responding to dissenting opinion.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by honeric01(m): 11:16am On Aug 25, 2010
folem:

Pls mind your language. I will no longer respond to your posts if you are not civil while responding to dissenting opinion.

What is in the language that you want me to mind? the rubbish or the promotion?

You don't have to respond to my post if you can't back up your numerous support on the ongoing disgrace we're seeing, hearing and reading about the NFA and the election. angry
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by proudly9ja(m): 11:53am On Aug 25, 2010
Absolute rubbish! zoning ko, zoning ni.

Let all the contestants contest on a free and level ground and let the best candidate win.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by omofat: 11:56am On Aug 25, 2010
folem:

There's nothing wrong with his language. He said you should promoting rubbish. Called you out on mis-informing the public. Nothng wrong with that.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by Abuna: 12:05pm On Aug 25, 2010
Hello fellow NL, I am back!
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by Dotman01(m): 12:09pm On Aug 25, 2010
Must we zone everythin in naija?. . . .
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by Abuna: 12:21pm On Aug 25, 2010
Dotman01:

Must we zone everythin in naija?. . . .

Shame but that's how the country seems to operate!
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by honeric01(m): 12:29pm On Aug 25, 2010
Abuna:

Shame but that's how the country seems to operate!

This is a wrong mindset, if you and i and all Nigerians (maybe majority) don't allow it, it won't be!
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by Abuna: 12:33pm On Aug 25, 2010
honeric01:

This is a wrong mindset, if you and i and all Nigerians (maybe majority) don't allow it, it won't be!

I haven't said we should allow it but from all indication, that is how the country seems to operate.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by folem: 12:36pm On Aug 25, 2010
omo~fat:

There's nothing wrong with his language. He said you should promoting rubbish. Called you out on mis-informing the public. Nothng wrong with that.
grin grin grin

Mis-informing? really?

Are you that politically naive. Do you think it is a coincidence that only Northerners have been Minister of Sport since 1999? Do you think it is a coincidence that Baribote & Owumi who contested for the NPL Chairman position are from the South replacing Obaseki who is also from the South?

Why do you think only people from the South are contesting the post of NFF Vice President?
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by omofat: 12:40pm On Aug 25, 2010
folem:

grin grin grin

Mis-informing? really?

Are you that politically naive. Do you think it is a coincidence that only Northerners have been Minister of Sport since 1999? Do you think it is a coincidence that Baribote & Owumi who contested for the NPL Chairman position are from the South replacing Obaseki who is also from the South?

Why do you think only people from the South are contesting the post of NFF Vice President?
I wasn't really commenting on the validity of your post to be honest. I was basically saying there's nothing uncivil about honeric's post that you were moaning about.

My position is that all this zonning business is crude and undemocratic. The sooner we're rid of it the better.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by honeric01(m): 12:44pm On Aug 25, 2010
Abuna:

I haven't said we should allow it but from all indication, that is how the country seems to operate.

Well, change is the constant thing in life, so i don't mind a change starting from the sport sector.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by folem: 12:56pm On Aug 25, 2010
omo~fat:

I wasn't really commenting on the validity of your post to be honest. I was basically saying there's nothing uncivil about honeric's post that you were moaning about.

My position is that all this zoning business is crude and undemocratic. The sooner we're rid of it the better.

When you categorically call another person's post as rubbish just because of his/her contrary views then I'm afraid I don't give such people the thumbs up.

Zoning may be crude but it is not undemocratic. There is some form of  zoning in the statutes because 12 board positions are shared equally among the 6 Geo-Political groups.

Cheers!

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100811063996

[size=16pt]Zoning is democratic[/size]

I write to comment on the raging issue of whether zoning of political offices among federating zones or regions is democratic or not.

Democracy or democratic system as a form of government in spite of all its liberalisation allows for certain limitations and restrictions.

For instance, the right to vote or be voted for is restricted to certain age depending on the country in issue. To those deprived, it could be argued that the practice is undemocratic. Why disallow a person of 17 years of age from voting while the person of next age could vote?

In many societies and or institutions, headship is restricted or zoned to pal1icuiar grade or level for certain justifiable reasons. Even in the Nigeria Bar Association, there is unwritten convention to rotate the headship of the Association among members from different zones.

Zoning of political offices in Nigeria is to ensure fairness, justice, national peace and integration. It is through such practice that minority areas could have a shot at the top level through the front door without necessarily entering through the back door. The practice must not only be retained but must be encouraged by all parties.

There is no area or zone in Nigeria which could not boast of good material to rule this country. For instance, Obaship in Yorubaland is restricted to ruling houses and among the ruling houses and there is rotation in order to ensure fairness. Whenever it is the turn of a ruling house to produce an Oba, they look for the best in their house, who will still be screened and must. be acceptable to all.

Although exceptional circumstances could warrant the ruling party in which the incumbent President is a member to review the gentleman‘s agreement, such a situation has not arisen. If the present national government under the headship of a former ASUU member could budget about six to N10 billion to celebrate Nigeria‘s 50th birthday, then there is no justification to dump the zoning arrangement.

For peace and tranquility, let us retain the zoning arrangement. Afterall, between 1999 and 2007, whenever the Senate President was removed, the zone was allowed to produce another person. The last time the Speaker of the House of Representatives was removed, her zone produced another Speaker.

Zoning in Nigeria will not only further the course of democracy and stabilize our nation, it would guarantee that people from both the majority and minority areas have a say and way in governance.

Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by omofat: 1:03pm On Aug 25, 2010
^^^ one day, one day, we will look at each other in nigeria and we will actually see people/human beings and not tribes or geo-political zones.

Might take a while, or maybe as you say, I'm naïve. One can only dream.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by bignaija(m): 1:32pm On Aug 25, 2010
its doesnt matter
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 25, 2010
[/qu
folem:

How many northnerns play the game?How many sucessful teams do they have in the north?Why will you bring zoning to football.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by elseohjay(m): 1:43pm On Aug 25, 2010
Hi Folks,

Just to inform you that he position of the next Super Eagle captain has been zoned to my Local Government. Shikenna!

I weep for my country
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by Iysayah(m): 2:09pm On Aug 25, 2010
@folem, sorry if this sounds insultive 'do you zone in your family?'.
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by 2makesense: 2:25pm On Aug 25, 2010
which one is zoning again? even in NFF? dis ppl just they dull person, shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by Iysayah(m): 2:34pm On Aug 25, 2010
They are going 2 elect Meigari who struggles with his diction, was the Nff Finance Director when money was embezzled and part of the Tea party to South Africa. Zonning indeed! Just welcome to another season of super CHICKEN DISGRACE. Everywhere in the world ex-footballers are brought back to administer the game, but in ma country, gworo-eatin, bot-bellied-running gays know the rule. angry
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by bobokelly(m): 3:00pm On Aug 25, 2010
Nigeria ,until when we stop this ethnics, tribalistics in this country , we can never get forward, you can imagine do we need zoning or no zoning, again as NFF President, or to look for a compitent person who can do the job, NA WA FOR NIGERIA
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by kobikwelu(m): 4:11pm On Aug 25, 2010
am not suprised, inefficient pr!cks

playing politics wif our football
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by btlasisi(m): 5:07pm On Aug 25, 2010
Very soon we will start zoning how we live and possibly who we marry.

Naija i hail oh
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by Abuna: 5:36pm On Aug 25, 2010
btlasisi:

Very soon we will start zoning how we live and possibly who we marry.

Naija i hail oh

No be lie! grin
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 25, 2010
The northerners are so weak in almost everything and always want zoning .Even in the football teams,they always try to put one aboki .
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by enomakos(m): 6:44pm On Aug 25, 2010
this country make me sick
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by oladayo042: 9:08pm On Aug 25, 2010
Verdict
Your gf while in secondary school was from South-South, you then proceed to date a North-West girl while in the university. At work, you had a brief romance with a lady who hails from the South-West. You are therefore zoned to pick your would-be wife from the North-East. grin grin grin
Re: Zoning Nff Presidency Is A Joke, Says Odegbami by honeric01(m): 9:11pm On Aug 25, 2010
I am watching Channels live now and the contestants are talking

NOTHING LIKE ZONING!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Wins 24 Million Naira On Hamabet / Nairabet Site Hacked / Satan, The World React To Messi’s 6th Ballon D’or Win — See Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.