Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,513 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

10 Year Uk Ban - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Year Uk Ban (7355 Views)

Nigerian Students Abroad Protest The Ban On The Use Of Naira ATM Cards. / Uk Visa Refused For Deception And Imposed 10 Year Ban / U.k Visa 10 Year Ban Question For Justwise Urgent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Year Uk Ban by hackneyDiv: 11:06pm On Aug 25, 2010
Can anyone advise, I am british citizen living in Canada now. My hubby used fraudulant documents to apply for UK indefinite at an embassy in the USA about 9 years ago. The embassy advised us that the documents he produced were faked and later we closed the apllication Since then he is now a Canadian citizen and holds a good job there. We have two kids together. We want to visit UK in Dec, will the immigration officers let him enter. we are going for a week
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by 0hsisi: 11:12pm On Aug 25, 2010
hackneyDiv:

Can anyone advise, I am british citizen living in Canada now. My hubby used fraudulant documents to apply for UK indefinite at an embassy in the USA about 9 years ago. The embassy advised us that the documents he produced were faked and later we closed the apllication Since then he is now a Canadian citizen and holds a good job there. We have two kids together. We want to visit UK in Dec, will the immigration officers let him enter. we are going for a week

There is a chance this may hurt him since the system will flag his name with his DOB as a fraudster.
He may be refused entry by immigration.
I'll advise you go without him
Travel a day ahead of him with the kids and fast and pray that his sins not find him out
If you guys go together and he's refused entry,that could affect you too
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by kadman(m): 11:26pm On Aug 25, 2010
His D.O.B might flag him up as the last poster said, but they might overlook / not find it as I'm presuming he is traveling with a Canadian passport ? The best advice is that of the last poster - travel on another day and hope and pray he can enter successfully.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by hackneyDiv: 11:30pm On Aug 25, 2010
So how does it affect me as British citizen. The offense was committed in Feb 2001. Yes he will be travelling on his Canadian passport
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by johnkent(m): 11:57pm On Aug 25, 2010
He has a good chance of entering the UK if you guys all travel together. Since you are a British citizen and his kids re british citizens too, he might be allowed into the country coz of y'all. Thats my 2 cents.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by hackneyDiv: 12:01am On Aug 26, 2010
That is exactly what I was thinking, rather than letting him go it alone, i thought with my passport and that of the kids it might carry a little bit of weight. secondly i thought because it was 9 years ago and I thought then the ban was 5 years. its the new law that gives 10 years
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by kadman(m): 12:36am On Aug 26, 2010
At poster, just noticed you're a Brit citizen,and not Canadian,was worried that you being Canadian you might have some trouble because of your hubby.
In that case johnkent might be right, about you all going together.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by kadman(m): 12:40am On Aug 26, 2010
johnkent:

He has a good chance of entering the UK if you guys all travel together. Since you are a British citizen and his kids re british citizens too, he might be allowed into the country coz of y'all. Thats my 2 cents.

@ JohnKent, we used to chat in the U.S student section, would it be to okay to ask your advice on some stuff. Thanks man
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by 0hsisi: 12:43am On Aug 26, 2010
hackneyDiv:

So how does it affect me as British citizen. The offense was committed in Feb 2001. Yes he will be travelling on his Canadian passport

did you have a hand in the fraudulent documents?
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by hackneyDiv: 12:52am On Aug 26, 2010
On my mothers life no. The look of surprise on my face when the consulate said the documents were fake. ButI have sturck by him through think and thin
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by 0hsisi: 12:56am On Aug 26, 2010
hackneyDiv:

On my mothers life no. The look of surprise on my face when the consulate said the documents were fake. ButI have sturck by him through think and thin

Please don't swear,it's not necessary to do so,I believe you.
So the documents were not fake and they said they were fake?
If so,I wish you guys didn't close the application but protested the allegation.
You made yourselves appear guilty by having it closed.
I know this is not answering your question but maybe you should speak with an attorney in the UK
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by 0hsisi: 12:59am On Aug 26, 2010
I read the first post over again
He did use fake documents
He may have to kiss ever going to the UK goodbye
Crime never pays,I'm sure he's learnt a bitter lesson
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by kadman(m): 1:01am On Aug 26, 2010
0hsisi:

did you have a hand in the fraudulent documents?

Even if she did, that wouldn't stop her from entering her own home country.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by hackneyDiv: 1:15am On Aug 26, 2010
but with the current law the punishment would be 10 years. this was done 9 years ago
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by kadman(m): 1:20am On Aug 26, 2010
hackneyDiv:

but with the current law the punishment would be 10 years. this was done 9 years ago

Ohsisi is just being vicious jare.
On the 5 year ban issue that makes sense, which would mean he would be able to travel now. Wait for other posters who would have advice tomorrow (Nigerian time) or at worst wait till next year when it's 10 years over so either way he would be cleared.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by 0hsisi: 1:21am On Aug 26, 2010
kadman:

Even if she did, that wouldn't stop her from entering her own home country.

Perhaps you don't know that fraud is actually a criminal offence
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by johnkent(m): 6:38am On Aug 26, 2010
Again, we need to know when the 10yrs ban fraudulent document law was signed into law. Most laws are usually not retroactive. if it was after he applied for the visa with fraudulent documents, then he should be okay. Again , thats my 2 cents
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by johnkent(m): 6:41am On Aug 26, 2010
kadman:

@ JohnKent, we used to chat in the U.S student section, would it be to okay to ask your advice on some stuff. Thanks man

U sure can sir

1 Like

Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by dancewith: 7:01am On Aug 26, 2010
hackneyDiv:

You have got nothing to fear at all.

1) The 10 year ban started in 2008 and so does not apply to your hubby.
2) As a spouse and parent of a British citizen, he cannot be deported from the UK as this breaches his right to family life (there are exceptions to this rule but those exceptions does not apply to what your hubby did)
3) If his prints were not taken in 2001, (which I am certain it wasn't as finger printing started in 2008 also) there is a 99% chance they wont even get a match on his previous record, if he is now using a Canadian passport
4) Finally you are worried over nothing. I do not condone what he did, but I have long learnt people do things out of circumstances. For those that are wise, it comes down to one thing: When you loose, don't loose the lesson
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by justwise(m): 8:51am On Aug 26, 2010
hackneyDiv:

You got nothing to worry about dancewith has given u enough to go with.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by kadman(m): 9:07am On Aug 26, 2010
johnkent:

U sure can sir

@ JohnKent

I ended up going to a University in England for my Masters, no I just handed in my dissertation, although my student visa runs till Jan 2011. I want to apply to US for holidays but I am worried I waited to long, and might be denied since I have handed in my dissertation already and also would be using hotel reservations e.t.c, I do have a solid statement of ACC. I have also gotten 2 Schengen visas during my one year which might help. Do you think I should go ahead or not bother with it. Thanks

@OP, sorry for derailing your thread. Anyone's advice is also welcome wink
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by Vicjustice: 9:59am On Aug 26, 2010
hackneyDiv:

Fortunately, the 10 years ban was not in place as at the time he committed that offence, so, that would not be an issue. But however, because of the previous use of deception, he would not be considered eligible to enter into the UK without a visa (he would be in the same category of applicants who hold visa-free passports but have had criminal convictions in any country), therefore, they would need to obtain the UK entry clearance before they can travel to the UK.
   Now, all your husband has to do is to visit the UK embassy and apply for an entry clearance (which i believe would be approved since you stated that he has a job that would guarantee his return to Canada where he holds citizenship). By this measure, he won't be at the risk of wasting his ticket money and other costs to the UK where he would be stopped at the port of entry.

Note: Holding an American or Canadian or even European passport does not entirely mean that you don't need a visa for the UK or any other visa-free country; the rule is, you might still need a visa if you do not meet the entire terms and conditions of the visa waiver which include keeping clean-sheet and not having a questionable history.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by johnkent(m): 3:29pm On Aug 26, 2010
kadman:

@ JohnKent

I ended up going to a University in England for my Masters, no I just handed in my dissertation, although my student visa runs till Jan 2011. I want to apply to US for holidays but I am worried I waited to long, and might be denied since I have handed in my dissertation already and also would be using hotel reservations e.t.c, I do have a solid statement of ACC. I have also gotten 2 Schengen visas during my one year which might help. Do you think I should go ahead or not bother with it. Thanks

Alot of folks including you believe that having traveled to Europe increasing your chance of getting a US visa. NOT. That is not usually the case. US consular officers don't give a damn where u''ve been before.
But to answer your questions, i dont think there's any harm in applying. I hear the US embassy in london is just a stringent as the embassy in Nigeria.
Yes, ur visa expires in Jan 2011 but since u're almost done with school, will you be returning to the UK after ur short stay in the US? The consular officer might see you as an intending immigrant because you just got done with ur masters degree and might be wanting to relocate to the US. You'll have to show strong ties to either Nigeria or the UK.
How long have u been in the UK and during those years, did u ever go back to nigeria?? That would show close ties to nigeria.
Holla.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by kadman(m): 9:37pm On Aug 26, 2010
@ JohnKent,

What I meant by having travelled to Europe during the masters, was to highlight it could show me as a keen traveller e.t.c and also show that I did come back from those trips, but ultimately I didn't ever travel to Nigeria throughout that year and the ties i could show with UK where my masters which I already completed. I also have only been here one year and planned to return to UK after the trip. What do you think ?
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by johnkent(m): 10:26pm On Aug 26, 2010
Like i said, it wouldn't hurt to try. u have a 50/50 chance of getting the visa.
I dont know how UK immigration works but will you still be legal in the UK till jan 2011 even after graduation
Cuz in the US, having a valid visa doesn't mean anything. What matters is the I-94 arrival card.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by Vicjustice: 11:28pm On Aug 26, 2010
johnkent:

Alot of folks including you believe that having traveled to Europe increasing your chance of getting a US visa. NOT. That is not usually the case. US consular officers don't give a damn where u''ve been before.
   I disagree with you about this claim; though, valid or expired European visas in one's passport doesn't automatically guarantee a US visa success, but every advanced country do take travel history into consideration. A citizen of a third world country who has had legitimate travel experience and has not breached the conditions of the visas will definitely earn more credibility compared to a person who is applying to travel abroad for the first time. So, your claim that the USA "does not give a damn" about a person's travel history does not hold water otherwise, there wouldn't have been a TRAVEL HISTORY SECTION in the visa application form.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by kadman(m): 12:36am On Aug 27, 2010
johnkent:

Like i said, it wouldn't hurt to try. u have a 50/50 chance of getting the visa.
I dont know how UK immigration works but will you still be legal in the UK till jan 2011 even after graduation
Cuz in the US, having a valid visa doesn't mean anything. What matters is the I-94 arrival card.
Yes, I still would. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate much. wink

Vicjustice:

I disagree with you about this claim; though, valid or expired European visas in one's passport doesn't automatically guarantee a US visa success, but every advanced country do take travel history into consideration. A citizen of a third world country who has had legitimate travel experience and has not breached the conditions of the visas will definitely earn more credibility compared to a person who is applying to travel abroad for the first time. So, your claim that the USA "does not give a damn" about a person's travel history does not hold water otherwise, there wouldn't have been a TRAVEL HISTORY SECTION in the visa application form.

Vic, what's your take on my issue, any advice ?
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by johnkent(m): 1:20am On Aug 27, 2010
Vicjustice:

Well, I made my assumption based on experience. I've had multiple family member who have visited the Uk several times and 2 of them the US, but they were denied US visa's on multiple occasions. Why, i have no clue.

Just don't assume you'll get a US Visa because you've been to other countries. But on the other hand, having been to the US always gives u an edge when applying for a visa to other countries.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by johnkent(m): 1:22am On Aug 27, 2010
At Kadman, apply for a visa and u just never know.
The most important thing that u'll need is strong ties to the UK. Job, fat bank account, family if any. Its always very hard to show strong ties to a country where u don't live permanently.
Make hotels reservations here in the US but do not purchase any flight ticket. Make the vacation not more than 10days.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by Vicjustice: 8:30am On Aug 27, 2010
johnkent:

Well, I made my assumption based on experience. I've had multiple family member who have visited the Uk several times and 2 of them the US, but they were denied US visa's on multiple occasions. Why, i have no clue.
   Visiting the UK on several occasions is not a guarantee that you'd be issued even a Somalian visa, but it does increase your chance of success for even the toughest of visas.

johnkent:

Just don't assume you'll get a US Visa because you've been to other countries.
   I don't think Kadman assumes that he'd get a US visa by mere snapping his fingers, sure he does know that he needs to meet the requirements which i believe he is capable of based on his UK visa and his travel experience.

johnkent:

But on the other hand, having been to the US always gives u an edge when applying for a visa to other countries.
   Now, this statement shows that you're the one having the conception in your mind and you seem to be making assessments in stereotype, making assumtion that any other country that isn't the USA is inferior to the USA. While you believe that the US visa is the toughest of all, there are people who can get the US visa with ease, but are having tough times getting a visa for China. Mind you, there are numerous Americans being stopped at Europe ports of entry and being deported on daily basis: these are American passport holders how much more those with ordinary visas.
   Now, consider stars like Snoop Dogg who was refused the UK visas on several occasions, also consider Chris Brown who received a UK ban; what about Farouk Abdumutallab whose UK visa was cancelled while he obtained a US visa? Now, think about Dr. Zakir Naik who is banned from the UK (while he holds Canadian 5years multi-entry visa/work permit) before Canada and the U.S follow suit and ban him as well. Please, get your facts right.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by justwise(m): 9:14am On Aug 27, 2010
kadman:

@ JohnKent

Why not apply for Post-Study-Work permit first b4 going for USA visa, that will show stronger tie to the UK than student visa that will expire in 6months time.
Re: 10 Year Uk Ban by johnkent(m): 3:37pm On Aug 27, 2010
Vicjustice:

Now, consider stars like Snoop Dogg who was refused the UK visas on several occasions, also consider Chris Brown who received a UK ban; what about Farouk Abdumutallab whose UK visa was cancelled while he obtained a US visa? Now, think about Dr. Zakir Naik who is banned from the UK (while he holds Canadian 5years multi-entry visa/work permit) before Canada and the U.S follow suit and ban him as well. Please, get your facts right.
Got ur point. Holding a US passport doesn't guarantee entry into any country but the United States. Most of the american's you have mentioned have either felony or misdemeanor convictions which makes them ineligible for the visa waiver program and also visa application denial at a UK consulate.
Farouk wasn't issued a US visa because he had a previous UK visa. if the US really cared about his travel(s) to the UK, they would have tried to figure out why his UK visa was revoked. Like i said, the US doesn't care about your travel history to other European countries and you know why; Alot of folks have been to Europe and never overstayed but do overstay when they arrive the US.

Anyways, lets not via off the point. These are all independent countries and do issue visas at their own discretion. No visa application is guaranteed.
One of these days, Nigeria will make it on the list of countries on the US visa waiver program. I have faith in my fatherland.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help With Psychological Evaluation Form / Thousands Stranded As Olodo Bridge Collapses In Ibadan (Photos) / What Do You Like About USA And Canada?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.