Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni (4036 Views)

Policeman Beaten Up In Oyo State For Allegedly Causing Accident (Photos) / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari / Ekiti Govt Laments Rejection Of Unad Graduates By Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by Kennyblues(m): 9:09am On Aug 26, 2010
Following the crisis which rocked the University of Ado-Ekiti on Monday when Governor Segun Oni and other prominent persons in the state were stoned by irate students, the police in Ekiti State on Wednesday arraigned six students of the university before a Magistrate’s Court on a five-count charge.

The students were arraigned before Magistrate Adesoji Adegboye for an alleged breach of peace, unlawful gathering, unlawful damage to properties, causing injuries while rioting and assault on police officers by stoning.

Although the police arrested 10 students following the crisis and paraded all of them before journalists on Tuesday evening, six of the suspects were arraigned on Wednesday.

Those arraigned were Oluwatuyi Olufemi, 24; Isiaka Muri, 25; Fadoju Olubode, 19; Lawal Oluwaseyi, 18; Oladeinde Kehinde, 24; and Akinsola Busuyi, 24.

The prosecutor told the court that he would call five witnesses to testify in his favour and he gave the names of his witnesses as A.V. Olubodun, B.C. Ogunleye, Gabriel Jacob, Ayomide Ayo-Oluwa and one SUPOL Giwa.

He, however, asked for an adjournment to enable him to study the case file.

Counsel to three of the accused students, Mr. Kayode Akinwunmi, who urged the court to grant his clients bail, said that the suspects had already spent two days in police custody. He promised to produce them on the adjourned date.

Before adjourning the case till October 8th, 2010 for hearing, the magistrate granted the accused persons bail in the sum of N10, 000 each.

The Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of Criminal Investigation Department in Ekiti State, Mr. Suleiman Isa, while parading the suspects before journalists on Tuesday evening, had said that the students damaged no fewer than six vehicles during their protest.

But some of the students interviewed denied being involved in the protest.

UNAD students had on Monday protested the hike in the fees charged fresh students of the university.

The students, who were unable to see the governor in their earlier protests, had used the opportunity of Oni’s visit to the school to register their anger about the new fees.

But the peaceful protest later became chaotic as some students hurled stones at the governor, who had insisted that he would not reverse the fees but would rather give the university authorities the approval to increase the fees by a maximum of 25 per cent every session.
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by mrofficial(m): 11:56am On Aug 26, 2010
Okay
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by googles: 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2010
being arraigned over an unaccomplished mission angry angry

and watever happened to the other 4 ? initially 10 of dem were arrested shey. . .

who cares ? they can drill a bore-hole into his head with stones sef. . . .bloody politician angry
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by Kennyblues(m): 12:10pm On Aug 26, 2010
googles:

and watever happened to the other 4 ? initially 10 of dem were arrested shey. . .

money has been traded for the 4; trust NPF
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by googles: 12:14pm On Aug 26, 2010
And the poor is left to bear the brunt. . . . i hate the way things are done in Nigeria angry
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by UyiIredia(m): 1:07pm On Aug 26, 2010
my heart goes out to the arrested students >>> may God see them thru >>> but why !!! what would make a governor so desensitized to say the things he said
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by seanet02: 1:08pm On Aug 26, 2010
unjust justice
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by lee007(m): 1:30pm On Aug 26, 2010
To the Students arrested for this wrong but well applied model of justice I Salute You!

Sentiments Aside, when Politicians begin to systematically eradicate civility and education in the name of funding same thats the least they can get.

For heaven's sake Ekiti is one of the poorest states in the country, despite the fact that it prides itself as a well educated population. UNAD is the Legacy of some breed of politician who have long gone into extinction and UNAD itself is one of the oldest State Universities in Nigeria who have trained hundreds of thousands of not Only Ekiti Indegines but onigerias from other parts of the country.

Now the Governor thinks the best way to secure funds for the next electoral Fraudcess is to increase school fees by more than 200% shocked shocked absolute Madness.

How then can developement be achieved when young Ekiti indigines who cannot even get admissions to other universities because "They Are Too Smart" afford quality education at thier own backyard with such immoral school fess.

we all know the cost of quality education, but when you see the waste being commiteed by the same non-performing administration in the state, you will but agree with me.

I just hope the students get good legal representation in court, they will work away with some punishment for sure, but a BIG point has been made, Young Nigerians are not fools, we see you spend 'our' Money, we see your children in schools abroad, we know where your wives and concubines shop till they drop, the next gbam! YOU HEAR WILL BE MY STONE HAULED AT YOUR ARMORED TINTED LIMO!!! grin grin grin
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by bobokelly(m): 2:21pm On Aug 26, 2010
I dont blame the governor, he did not win the the soul of ekiti people by election, but with money, foolish governor
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by snowdrops(m): 2:23pm On Aug 26, 2010
stoning someone is assault. despite how horrid the governor might be there is no excuse for violence
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by Nymphnode(m): 3:23pm On Aug 26, 2010
^^^^^
Stoning someone older than you in a Yoruba land is a taboo there's definately no excuse for such an act whatsover
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by seyibrown(f): 3:30pm On Aug 26, 2010
The question is : Are these arraigned students the ones who ACTUALLY STONED the Governor? We know how things work in Nigeria, don't we? There are many people languishing in our jails who know nothing about what they are serving sentences for! Something happens and the police just go and round up some innocent people and before they know it, they are in court with trumped up charges brought against them! And when the police go assaulting innocent students/citizens, who gets punished for it? Unknown police officer, abi!  angry  angry.
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by freshmoney(m): 4:00pm On Aug 26, 2010
I would be happy if they stoned him to death and then finally become Nigerian heroes. After all, killing a NIGERIAN politician will earn me heroism sad sad
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by fxskye: 4:04pm On Aug 26, 2010
lee007:

To the Students arrested for this wrong but well applied model of justice I Salute You!

Sentiments Aside, when Politicians begin to systematically eradicate civility and education in the name of funding same thats the least they can get.

For heaven's sake Ekiti is one of the poorest states in the country, despite the fact that it prides itself as a well educated population. UNAD is the Legacy of some breed of politician who have long gone into extinction and UNAD itself is one of the oldest State Universities in Nigeria who have trained hundreds of thousands of not Only Ekiti Indegines but onigerias from other parts of the country.

Now the Governor thinks the best way to secure funds for the next electoral Fraudcess is to increase school fees by more than 200% :[/b]o shocked absolute Madness.

How then can developement be achieved when young Ekiti indigines who cannot even get admissions to other universities because "They Are Too Smart" afford quality education at thier own backyard with such immoral school fess.

we all know the cost of quality education, but when you see the waste being commiteed by the same non-performing administration in the state, you will but agree with me.

I just hope the students get good legal representation in court, they will work away with some punishment for sure, but a BIG point has been made, Young Nigerians are not fools, we see you spend 'our' Money, we see your children in schools abroad, we know where your wives and concubines shop till they drop, the next gbam! YOU HEAR WILL BE MY STONE HAULED AT YOUR ARMORED TINTED LIMO!!! grin grin grin

But the Gov enjoyed free education during his studentship. Na Wa oo for naija Gov.

[b]Beta Soon 9ja!
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by chelseabmw(m): 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2010
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by seunmsg(m): 4:40pm On Aug 26, 2010
Gov Segun Oni is a product of the free education policy of the old western region, and now, he feels the best way to pay back is to hike the tuition fees by 200%. Stoning is just the least of the nemesis that will soon catch up with him.
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by Smi1(m): 5:42pm On Aug 26, 2010
They should have stoned him to death! anyway whata lucky governor !  cheesy grin cheesy cool
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by Ayowumie(m): 5:49pm On Aug 26, 2010
The structure is corrupt and its stead, we have a systemic failure part of which is the NPF. The students have the right to protest. I read the report, Oni said and i quote "university is a ground for radicalism". So, why are the students arrested when the protest was peaceful at least not until the police started using tear gas.
Apart from this, this report said 10 people were arrested but only 4 arraigned, what happened to the other 4. Have they been extra judicially killed as "usual" or they have been sentenced and condemned without a trial or NPF have collected money as usual.
Tufi a kwa! I would rather die than be a police officer!!!!!!!!
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by medoski(m): 5:50pm On Aug 26, 2010
stupid politicians
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by kelvin55c(m): 7:10pm On Aug 26, 2010
It has been confirmed that OAU has sent there admission status to jamb so you can now check your status now at www.jamb.org ng
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by omolayo1(m): 7:17pm On Aug 26, 2010
@NYMPH NODE AND SNOWDROPS, I DON'T BLAME YOU GUYS because YOU WILL NEVER SAY NO IN ANY FORM IF YOU WERE IN THEIR SHOE.
HOW I WISH IT WAS SMTHING MORE THAN STONE
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by JUO(m): 7:56pm On Aug 26, 2010
:-x
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by PastorOla1: 10:15pm On Aug 26, 2010
May God deliver the six student IJN Amen
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by PastorOla1: 10:35pm On Aug 26, 2010
May God deliver the six student IJN Amen
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 26, 2010
I can never stop loving my state. If only they can afford a gun.
God's own state.

This is why Ekitis in Diaspora finds it hard to invest in their own states. Thieving bastardize Oni. May he, his children, his children's children and their children suffer for the current affair of my state. I doubt they'll ever find peace.
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 26, 2010
Nymph node:

^^^^^
Stoning someone older than you in a Yoruba land is a taboo there's definately no excuse for such an act whatsover
snowdrops:

stoning someone is assault. despite how horrid the governor might be there is no excuse for violence
Exactly. .stoning him doesnt change anything .
Ileke-IdI:

I can never stop loving my state. If only they can afford a gun.
God's own state.

This is why Ekitis in Diaspora finds it hard to invest in their own states. Thieving bastardize Oni. May he, his children, his children's children and their children suffer for the current affair of my state. I doubt they'll ever find peace.
You can't undo one evil by using evil and i don't subscribe to breaking the laws to achieve any purpose.the student had a good case already but politicizing the issue is totally uncalled for and don't be surprised if the opposition party sponsored the fracas.
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by GBT(m): 12:12am On Aug 27, 2010
who cares ? they can drill a bore-hole into his head with stones sef. . . .bloody politician

Really most time the politicians deserve this or worst than this melted to them![img][/img] angry
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by Ranoscky(m): 7:53am On Aug 27, 2010
Hmmmmm
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by kobikwelu(m): 9:25am On Aug 27, 2010
@ topic

lolllll
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by TeskyMan(m): 9:42am On Aug 27, 2010
Ayowumie:

The structure is corrupt and its stead, we have a systemic failure part of which is the NPF. The students have the right to protest. I read the report, Oni said and i quote "university is a ground for radicalism". So, why are the students arrested when the protest was peaceful at least not until the police started using tear gas.
Apart from this, this report said 10 people were arrested but only 4 arraigned, what happened to the other 4. Have they been extra judicially killed as "usual" or they have been sentenced and condemned without a trial or NPF have collected money as usual.
[size=20pt]Tufi a kwa! I would rather die than be a police officer!!!!!!!![/size]

So do I

Oni deserves the stoning please don't be biased about this issue.
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by anitabest(f): 10:48am On Aug 27, 2010
Church.
Re: Police Arraign Six Unad Students For Allegedly Stoning Oni by Lanrefemi: 10:58am On Aug 27, 2010
Why do the police parade them when they've not even been proving guilty!

I was in university in the 90s during abacha regime, UNAD to be precise. All nigerian students lost 1 or 2years sitting down at home back then because of strikes and political unrest in the country, it's sad that the same old story still continues.

I'm not an advocate of violence, but we have to realise that the students are products of our violent,corrupt and unsettled society, consciously or unconsciously a child will naturally immitate the doings of the society he finds himself.

It will be a case of 'black kettle calling charcoal black' if government prosecutes the students for violence.

A luta Continua  ,  GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2011: Ohanaeze Caucus Okays Jonathan’s Endorsement / Nigerian Discovers New Solar System (asteroid) / Plateau Gov. Blames Fg For Recurring Jos Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.