Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,708 members, 7,802,136 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Help: Can I Get A Job Without NYSC Certificate? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Help: Can I Get A Job Without NYSC Certificate? (11472 Views)

Photo: Lost But Found NYSC Certificate / Job Without NYSC / How Do You Know An Authentic Nysc Certificate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Can I Get A Job Without NYSC Certificate? by Mcfemad(m): 1:59pm On Aug 26, 2010
Hi Nairalanders, am an HND who was fortunate to get a job immediately after completion of my studies. I felt we would not be going for service since i graduated from a monotechnic, however, i was moblized for NYSC Batch A 2010, i attended the orientation course after taking 3 weeks leave of my Job. Some people told me the 3weeks orientation is the most important of the one year manadatory scheme,so i can come home afterward, nevertheless i tried the process of redeployment which did not work out. I came back home to face my Job after the camp, i was able to make a deal with one of the officials to cover as a Ghost Corper. As God would have it, the authorities have changed hand in my Local government, hence the need for me to become a full corper till february. i have missed two months clearnce now, cos i could not take a time out of work and travel that distance. I work directly with my boss, so i cant sneaked out of office. I have tried to make some connections, but all Zero.

Now, am confused, i enjoyed the work am doing, i hope to move further very soon, am thinking of forgetting the NYSC issue, but am scared if the NYSC certificate will not constitute nuisance/disturb/ affect my career advancement.

PLS HELP ME OUT, WHAT CAN I DO NOW?
Re: Help: Can I Get A Job Without NYSC Certificate? by marjo: 5:19pm On Aug 31, 2010
You cant get a job with any serious organisation without an NYSC certificate. The only way people dont serve is they are 30 as at time of call up and then they need to get an NYSC clearance certificate which states exemption on age grounds. Besides, no one knows the future, your lack of a certificate could be a stumbling block in future ( even nigerians abroad come back toservie).

If this job is so fantastic, you could defer your NYSC ( i dont know how possible this is but you could find out), do your best on your job and make yourself so indispensable that when you tell them you have to go, they just may be able to hold the job down for you. With internet and laptops, you wont be incommunicado and if its work you can do via PC, it may work. Such arrangements mainly work in small to medium sized companies. You could even suggest unpaid time away if you are that desperate.

I met a guy who worked in a multinational that does not give study leave. because he was so good they gave him 18 months study leave to do his masters ( without pay though) along with a rider that he could come back to his job at the end of his course !!!

Try my suggestions, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

1 Like

Re: Help: Can I Get A Job Without NYSC Certificate? by Ihategirls(m): 6:37pm On Aug 31, 2010
Marjo is right. Any serious company will employ you without an NYSC certificate. By the way it is not all companies that request for an NYSC certificate from their applicants.
Re: Help: Can I Get A Job Without NYSC Certificate? by DisGuy: 3:30am On Sep 01, 2010
your lack of a certificate could be a stumbling block in future ( even nigerians abroad come back toservie).

I believe they just say this to everyone for some reason; the excuse is you can get a government job in teh future bla blah blah

Cant you get exemption certificate based on health or something, or keep deferring it till you are almost 30 then when you apply they'll give you an exemption certificate

tell them you are allergic to cow dung
Re: Help: Can I Get A Job Without NYSC Certificate? by Mcfemad(m): 10:52am On Sep 01, 2010
thanks all. i will sort myself out

(1) (Reply)

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? / Gifts You Will Like To Receive As An Outgoing Corper! / Corpers Lodge In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.