Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,350 members, 7,780,942 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:58 AM

Osaze Odemwingie hits back at 'racist' Russian fans - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Osaze Odemwingie hits back at 'racist' Russian fans (1797 Views)

Does Osaze Odemwingie Deserve A Call-up? / Woman Defrauds Osaze Of £70000 / Osaze Odemwingie Lashes Out At Keshi And NFF Over AFCON 2013 Exclusion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osaze Odemwingie hits back at 'racist' Russian fans by yommyuk: 5:24am On Aug 28, 2010

Re: Osaze Odemwingie hits back at 'racist' Russian fans by honeric01(m): 7:24pm On Aug 28, 2010
Osaze Odemwingie hits back at 'racist' Russian fans

Nigeria striker Osaze Odemwingie has hit out at fans of his former club in Russia, following apparently racist banners targeted at him last weekend.

Photographs showed Lokomotiv Moscow fans celebrating the sale of Odemwingie to West Bromwich Albion.

One (above) included the image of a banana and read "Thanks West Brom".

"It's a minority group but it's really sad - I have a good relationship with the club but this is a big disgrace," Odemwingie told BBC Sport.

The 29-year-old explained that black players are regularly subjected to insults in the Russian league but said the authorities do not act.

"Some fans treated me well at the club - only a group of supporters have shown how narrow minded they are to the world," Odemwingie said.

"Coloured players feel the open racism there and I recall a game against CSKA Moscow when their fans started the sick noises - I wouldn't have any of it and gave it back to them.

"This was widely publicised because photographers had shots of my protest but still nothing was done to curb it.

"Sadly, it's a picture of a minority group in Russia - it really makes you feel sick but that is what it is.

"You can't totally condemn the league or the people but I am a stronger individual, focusing on my career with Nigeria and West Brom now."

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has promised to write a protest letter to Fifa calling for disciplinary action to be taken following the incident.

"We condemn this act of racism aimed at Osaze Odemwingie, hence we are preparing a letter to Fifa to discipline racist incidents in accordance with the Fifa statutes and the Fifa disciplinary code," NFF spokesman Robinson Okosun told BBC Sport.
Re: Osaze Odemwingie hits back at 'racist' Russian fans by daylae(m): 10:54pm On Aug 28, 2010
They don't see blacks more often,especially successful black men around them,living above their own gauge; That's why they're crying their miserable lives out.
Re: Osaze Odemwingie hits back at 'racist' Russian fans by DisGuy: 2:55am On Aug 29, 2010
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has promised to write a protest [/b]letter to Fifa calling for disciplinary action to be taken following the incident.

"We condemn this act of racism aimed at Osaze Odemwingie, hence [b]we are preparing a letter to Fifa [/b]to discipline racist incidents in accordance with the Fifa statutes and the Fifa disciplinary code," NFF spokesman Robinson Okosun told BBC Sport.

by the looks of it, the letter will be ready in another [b]three weeks
!! they are setting up a committee for the letter
Re: Osaze Odemwingie hits back at 'racist' Russian fans by tpiah: 10:43pm On Aug 29, 2010
i think he should try to ignore them, if possible. Since he's no longer there.

the situation seems to be spinning out of control.

the NFF should go ahead and write the letter maybe.
Re: Osaze Odemwingie hits back at 'racist' Russian fans by slimes(m): 12:21am On Aug 31, 2010
tpiah:

the NFF should go ahead and write the letter maybe.
Letter writing committee grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Arsenal Are Title Contenders- Conte / Southampton Vs Man Utd Team News / Pictures: Ghana president splashes $100,000 on players for trashing Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.