Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen (8954 Views)

Girl Brutalized For Sleeping With Her Married Boss (photos) / How Police Arrested Alleged Cross-border Robbery Gang (photo) / How Police Shooting Led To Traffic Gridlock Along Jalingo-wukari Express Road. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by knotty(m): 11:19am On Aug 28, 2010
http://www.pointblanknews.com/News/os3802.html

On December 12, 2009, I had two projects to execute in connection with my source of livelihood. The first project, the shooting of the musical video of Eugene De Coque, was billed to take place at Beaton Studios, Egbu Road, Owerri. It was scheduled to start at 11.30 a.m. The other project, Uwenja Fashion show 2009, was slated for 6.00 p.m at All Seasons Hotel, Owerri on that fateful day. I was a principal participant in the two events. Indeed, I had already entered into a contractual agreement with the organizers.

At about 10: 45 a.m., I was driving along Okigwe Road on my way to Beaton Studios to fulfill my obligations with respect to the first project when I met a heavy traffic build-up at the Prison Junction. Unfortunately, my car was overheating and I couldn’t risk staying long in the traffic. So, I advanced towards Rochas Plaza, opposite Modotel Hotel via a right lane after pleading with another motorist, who allowed me to join the queue at his back on the left lane leading to Wetheral Road.

As soon as I made the said move above , I noticed that a police constable has spotted me from afar. Immediately, she came towards me. She got to me after passing four other vehicles. When she got to me, she ordered another police constable, Chinenye Nwaigwe, to enter my car and take me to Shell Camp Police Station. I then moved into Wetheral Road and parked at No. 1 of that road.

When Constable Nwaigwe came in, I explained to her that my car was overheating and that if I had not taken the decision to join the left lane, which was flowing freely, the car could have stopped and complicated the already bad traffic situation. Besides, I tried to make her understand that I had an important appointment to keep and that the more she kept me there or insisted that I go to the police station with her, the less likely it was for me to meet up with my appointment. So, I pleaded with her to let me go. When all these failed to persuade her, I then made her to understand that at the point she saw me join the left lane , I was not in the breach of any traffic law.
advertisement

When my explanations and pleas could not make her to rescind her decision on taking me to the police station, I decided to go with her. To my greatest surprise, she started wrestling the steering from me. I exercised patience until I turned back. On reaching FSP Park, I was flagged down by a colleague, Mr. Osuofia. After I explained my situation to him, he decided to phone the Chief Security Officer (CSO), Government House. However, when the CSO called, they refused to pick his call. Also, the Divisional Traffic Officer I (DTO I), Mr. Peter Calvin, New Owerri Police Station, called but they refused to take his call.

At this juncture, they took my car keys from me, flagged a taxi and insisted that I should enter the taxi. On my refusal while they were trying to force me into the taxi, one of the female police constables, Chinenye Nwaigwe hit me on the forehead with her baton. Battered and bloodied, they took me to the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) at Shell Camp Police Station, Mrs. Ogbodo. There, they seized the writing materials of the courageous journalist, Mr. Ejike Ogbonna who accompanied me to the station. Later, on the instructions of the DPO, I was taken to the Federal Medical Centre, Owerri under the watch of Mr. Paul Opurum, a police officer, where I was treated. After the treatment, I was accompanied back to the station by my Lawyer, Barrister Kelechi Onyeakazi.

The DPO merely cautioned the policewomen and had them locked up for two hours. I was at the police station till the evening of that day and got back to my home at 7.55 p.m. As a result of what transpired that day, I missed being part of the musical video shoot of Eugene De Coque and partaking in the Uwenjah Fashion show for which I had already signed the contract. And because I was not part of the Owerri edition, I could not be part of the one held in South Africa as agreed.

Consequently, I lost my financial entitlements in the projects and I paid my hospital bills as the police authorities said they could not pay. Today, I experience excruciating pains occasionally on my forehead as a result of that brutal assault by Constable Chinenye Nwaigwe. So, I am lucky to be a living victim of police brutality, for many have died under such circumstances.
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by knotty(m): 11:28am On Aug 28, 2010
pix

Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by knotty(m): 11:29am On Aug 28, 2010
Fig 3; by the side of the policeman with camera is Mr Ejike Ogbonna, a journalist with National Question and facing the policeman is Mr. Osuofia who flagged me down and who made a call to the Chief Security Officer (CSO) in the Government House, Owerri. The lady behind Ejike is Ms. Oluchi Ezike, the friend with me who witnessed the assault.

Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by Ranoscky(m): 11:58am On Aug 28, 2010
Walai, i don taya for nigerian police anlah!

Na wetin man go do to wype off all dis animals dat called demselfs policemen n policewomen? undecided

Can u imagine a womanpolice 4 dat mata? anlah, i go tress your house n make sure say i disable u! NON-SENSE!!! sad
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by touchmeder: 12:02pm On Aug 28, 2010
where is this one going to lead to now?
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by zenatta: 12:02pm On Aug 28, 2010
knotty hi,
nothing stops you from suing the police precinct involved. Forget the nonsense about Nigeria being above the law. Do it. Do it for the heck of it. Do it for the humiliation you as a Nigerian suffered in the hands of those who are paid to protect you.

when I was much younger and very hot headed I bulldozed people in authority who behaved as if no one would ever dare question them. This was the reason I refused to be a journalist cos I knew deep down that Nigeria was not mature yet and going by your story is still infantile

God save this beautiful country

I am so so sorry for the brutality you suffered in your 'sister's' hand. Thank God for instant camera. Thank God for brilliant Nigerians like you.
I refuse to hate this country
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by pinklady40: 12:03pm On Aug 28, 2010
this is really bad  the nigerian police is something else.
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by tunnytox(m): 12:04pm On Aug 28, 2010
Nigerian Police Force is a failure, anyone who is patient enough to read the Human Right Watch research on the Nigerian Police will be gobsmacked. Its an unbelievable and damning 102 page report on corruption, human rights abuses and extra judicial killings by the Nigerian Police including recommendations on how to change this shameful establishment but which the Nigerian government are not very keen to implement.

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2010/08/17/nigeria-corruption-fueling-police-abuses
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by Reptyle(m): 12:10pm On Aug 28, 2010
I agree with Zenatta. The lady needs to sue. We need to start showing these public officials that there are laws governing our existence and they are not above them.
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by zenatta: 12:17pm On Aug 28, 2010
thanks reptyle

Knotty you may not know it but no one suffers the pangs of the green eyed monster more than the Nigerian women in uniform. You wan try them, ,the police O and those ones in the customs who search you at the airport when you are traveling, any woman in uniform even the air hostesses, useless most of them all.

beware of them if you have anything of value that their ancestry would never boast of!
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 28, 2010
Like i always say '' thankGod she was not shot ''
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by Agibecky: 12:23pm On Aug 28, 2010
This is not the Nigeria for my children.
My children will not grow up in the jungle of barbarians.
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by sessy2(f): 12:30pm On Aug 28, 2010
[/quote][quote author=zenatta link=topic=504749.msg6655020#msg6655020 date=1282994260]
thanks reptyle

Knotty you may not know it but no one suffers the pangs of the green eyed monster more than the Nigerian women in uniform. You wan try them, ,the police O and those ones in the customs who search you at the airport when you are traveling, any woman in uniform even the air hostesses, useless most of them all.

beware of them if you have anything of value that their ancestry would never boast of!
i agree with you.
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by chukxy: 1:11pm On Aug 28, 2010
In as much I am not supporting the police for their brutality on innocent Nigerians;in this particular scenario, I would blame the Beauty Queen
for what happened to her. In her story, she gave excuses or justifications why she should move out from the main traffic to the shortest route.
But what she forgot was that every other person in the traffic at that point in time has a justifiable excuse to obstruct the traffic or take a shortest root. Just imagine everybody doing that at that point in time, is better imagined what chaos would haven taken place at that point in time.

I know quite well that if she had considered the possible challenge she would face to accomplish the task she had at hand on time and made a proper plan, she could have left her house on time, probably she may not have met the traffic jam; even if she met the traffic jam, she could have been patient enough to follow the main traffic and saved herself from this embarrassment.

Anyway I am sorry to what happened to her. It is lesson to her and all of us to imbibe the habit of meeting appointment before schedule so we can always compensate for any eventuality like this.

1 Like

Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by Olumogun: 1:19pm On Aug 28, 2010
Thank God you are alive to talk about this.
Many of your type are gone, killed by "accidental discharge" from policemen rifle.
Others were maimed out of torture for an offence they do not commit, and police will just end it with one term; 'mistaken identity'.
Once again, congratulations.

However, if those in power refuse to do anything about reformation of the Nigerian Police FORCE,
let them know this that one day, it will be the turn of their relation somewhere.

In a civilized and organised society, even Ghana beside us here, by now the DPO, Team (Unit) Leader, the POLICE-BEAST (woman) will be answering serious questions. Again this is going un-noticed by the POLITICAL TERRORISTS who selected themselves to rule this lovely nation - Nigeria.

One thing am so sure of is that one day, a true revolution will rescue this horrible nation from the hand of these men.
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 28, 2010
chukxy:

In as much I am not supporting the police for their brutality on innocent Nigerians;in this particular scenario, I would blame the Beauty Queen
for what happened to her. In her story, she gave excuses or justifications why she should move out from the main traffic to the shortest root.
But what she forgot was that every other person in the traffic at that point in time has a justifiable excuse to obstruct the traffic or take a shortest root. Just imagine everybody doing that at that point in time, is better imagined what chaos would haven taken place at that point in time.

I know quite well that if she had considered the possible challenge she would face to accomplish the task she had at hand on time and made a proper plan, she could have left her house on time, probably she may not have met the traffic jam; even if she met the traffic jam, she could have been patient enough to follow the main traffic and saved herself from this embarrassment.

Anyway I am sorry to what happened to her. It is lesson to her and all of us to imbibe the habit of meeting appointment before schedule so we can always compensate for any eventuality like this.
All that you have blamed her for does NOT warrant being hit on the head with a batton
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by johndavid1(m): 1:29pm On Aug 28, 2010
ibkaye:

All that you have blamed her for does NOT warrant being hit on the head with a batton
yes your right Barton? undecided undecided undecided grin grin grin but this one funny! oh i dey imagine how she go keep her face when dem go nak her the Barton,  undecided undecided undecided grin grin
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by IyaBasira: 1:35pm On Aug 28, 2010
chukxy:

for what happened to her. In her story, she gave excuses or justifications why she should move out from the main traffic to the shortest root.

The word is  ROUTE , not root.
She DID leave early , and if you had read her story properly you would have noticed that she was already driving at 10.45am while the appointment was due to start at 11.30. Also, any Nigerian knows that if something is said to start by 11.30, it will ACTUALLY begin at 12.30.

Jumping lanes is wrong, yes. But if her car was over heating she had a concrete excuse for leaving her lane . Some people jump lanes without better reasons. Even if she did jump her lane, she cannot be blamed for the policewomen's unreasonable behaviour. In her situation you would not have moved to a faster lane? She even asked and we all know some people just butt in in front of your car and you have to wait for them to go in first.
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by seyibrown(f): 1:48pm On Aug 28, 2010
The DPO merely cautioned the policewomen and had them locked up for two hours

I don't think this is how 'assault' on citizens should be dealt with! How heartless that police officer was to do that to an unarmed civillian! The poor lady could have suffered brain damage due to this inhumane act!
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by NAJALYN: 1:58pm On Aug 28, 2010
The beauty queen admitted she pulled over in front of another vehicle because of the problem she had with her car. Even if the female Police was not satisfied with that explanation, did she have to hit her. I believe very stringent measures should be put in place to deal with Policemen/women like the lady in question. By the time up to 5 or more Policemen/women are relieved of their duties for manhandling innocent citizens, others will behave. I dont see why the Police, who are being paid to protect lives cannot handle problems maturedly without violence. It is either they are forcibly taking N5 from someone, or shooting, killing & maiming those they are supposed to protect. I appologize to the beauty queen for that experience. Even if she decides to sue, the issue is belated. And even if she were to sue, it will take 10 years to determine the case. May God urgently save us in this Country & help solve the problems plaguing our Country. NAJALYN
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 28, 2010
john david:

yes your right Barton? undecided undecided undecided grin grin grin but this one funny! oh i dey imagine how she go keep her face when dem go nak her the Barton,  undecided undecided undecided grin grin
It's BATON
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by kaybently: 2:23pm On Aug 28, 2010
This is the height of madess the bas, tard mrs chineye should be hanged to death angry am just short of words
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by zenatta: 2:45pm On Aug 28, 2010
Olumogun:

Thank God you are alive to talk about this.
Once again, congratulation
One thing am so sure of is that one day, a true revolution will rescue this horrible nation from the hand of these men.

yes there will be a revolution, a bad one because when a people are pushed to the wall continuously, but bear it because they are unarmed unprepared and uniformed, one day they risk the little they have to fight back. Its going to happen. People will not always grin and bear it. One day,

NAJALYN:

It is either they are forcibly taking N5 from someone, or shooting, killing & maiming those they are supposed to protect.                         I appologize to the beauty queen for that experience. Even if she decides to sue, the issue is belated. And even if she were to sue, it will take 10 years to determine the case. May God urgently save us in this Country & help solve the problems plaguing our Country.  NAJALYN

the courts would prosecute a wrong done a long time ago, methinks. I don't have ten years to give such an underhand deed, I have here and now and the press, international to boot, and IBB's referedum. Remember the white woman who reported the case of a Nigerian who was selling wild life, a monkey or so along the airport road in Lagos. The Nigerian Television ''carried'' the news, Thats what I need. So great, she got the names of those involved. Like our politicans who behave like agberos in the house, I would like to see the faces of their children Role model, my lastest!
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by zenatta: 2:48pm On Aug 28, 2010
seyibrown:

I don't think this is how 'assault' on citizens should be dealt with! How heartless that police officer was to do that to an unarmed civillian! The poor lady could have suffered brain damage due to this inhumane act!

she should check. I suffer daily for the way this country is treated.
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by tolutara: 2:55pm On Aug 28, 2010
Agibecky:

This is not the Nigeria for my children.
My children will not grow up in the jungle of barbarians.

I love u for this statement. It is so true, My kids can never grow up like this. We are moving back to Africa but certainly not Nigeria,

The cost will be too great. Immediately you step the sole of your feet in that forsaken country, Your mortality rate just increased 50%. Just Sad!!!! cry cry cry cry cry
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by AkoEja: 2:59pm On Aug 28, 2010
You have done something by writing here. I advise you send this to media houses in the country. Ideally, you should sue, but I know its not easy to go through with that decision.
You broke the traffic rules no doubt, but you did not deserve to be brutalised for it. There are already statutory punishments for breaking traffic rules, but not acts of brutality like this. I feel sorry for you, but you need to fight back legally, and seek recompence; not fighting back is what perpetuates acts like this in our society. We Nigerians are sometime just too docile when it comes to fighting for our rights. As Soyinka said "the man dies in all, who keeps silent in the face of tyranny".
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by jokingmary(m): 3:09pm On Aug 28, 2010
Nigerian police for you
The lady should sue the police to court (she should win) and then charge them a lot of money for damages angry
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by mitchella1: 3:12pm On Aug 28, 2010
bleeding bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! d cop needs 2 be hanged!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by mitchella1: 3:21pm On Aug 28, 2010
dd i say naughty, i meant BASTARD!
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by Ranoscky(m): 3:27pm On Aug 28, 2010
^
grin grin grin U never see anything! grin
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by sizzlers(m): 3:36pm On Aug 28, 2010
@ POSTER, dont lose hope u can still win if you want, just sue them u wil be suprise, u gonna recover all the damages they have done to you both financially and otherwise but this time they will be paying you with cash, though it might take long but at the long run u must win, and you lawyer will see to it that those two female police be stripe off of their uniform if possible land in Jail.
Re: How Police Brutalized A Beauty Queen by triistar86: 4:19pm On Aug 28, 2010
AkoEja:

You have done something by writing here. I advise you send this to media houses in the country. Ideally, you should sue, but I know its not easy to go through with that decision.
You broke the traffic rules no doubt, but you did not deserve to be brutalised for it. There are already statutory punishments for breaking traffic rules, but not acts of brutality like this. I feel sorry for you, but you need to fight back legally, and seek recompence; not fighting back is what perpetuates acts like this in our society. We Nigerians are sometime just too docile when it comes to fighting for our rights. As Soyinka said "the man dies in all, who keeps silent in the face of tyranny".

The only reason why It would be concluded that she broke a traffic rule is if she crossed a solid line during the lane change, changing lanes in traffic aint breaking any traffic rules as long as the lane change occurs in permitted areas based on the design of the road. Apparently Nigeria is still an exception to everything in the world even at 50yrs. . . . God bless our country!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests Six Suspected Internet Fraudsters In Uyo / Www.paxful.com Is A Fraud And Scammer Site, The Founder Is A Scammer / Thugs Attack Thunder Blowers Online In Zamfara, Wound Editor, Destroy Tools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.