Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,868 members, 7,802,799 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism (4615 Views)

My Fellow Agnostic And Atheist, What If We Got It All Wrong? / Charms As Defense Against Gunfire, An Agnostic Viewpoint. / To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by DeepSight(m): 1:27pm On Aug 30, 2010
I am an Agnostic Deist (note: Not Atheist).

The above is a quote from Sagamite.

This very much interests me as I describe myself as Deist as well.

@ Sagamite - let's discuss the meaning and implications of agnostic deism?

Do you not feel that there are somethings that may be discerned about God - even while God remains a mystery?
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by ilosiwaju: 3:09pm On Aug 30, 2010
That's really an interesting description DS, agnostic deism. I usually view agnosticism as the trump card for atheists who really appreciate that there is a great mystery with the god thing. Deism in my own view, skipping the big words is a stance that obviously is not a yahweh or allah follower but at the same time not entirely dismissive of the god idea as well as observe the mysteries involved unlike atheism which is sure god is a negative.
While i join you in waiting for sagamite, i'll like you to refresh me on your own version of deism in a few and clear sentences. Hope you'll oblige.
How you dey?
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by Krayola(m): 3:59pm On Aug 30, 2010
haha @deepsight and ilosiwaju. . . how body?

This is deepsight's version of deism

1= 1+1 ∴ 1+1+1. . . . = ∞
Therefore the oneness of infinity is the one. . . the key to the matrix. wink
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by madlady(f): 4:42pm On Aug 30, 2010
ilosiwaju:

That's really an interesting description DS, agnostic deism. I usually view agnosticism as the trump card for atheists who really appreciate that there is a great mystery with the god thing. Deism in my own view, skipping the big words is a stance that obviously is not a yahweh or allah follower but at the same time not entirely dismissive of the god idea as well as observe the mysteries involved unlike atheism which is sure god is a negative.
While i join you in waiting for sagamite,

i'll like you to refresh me on your own version of deism in a few and clear sentences.

Hope you'll oblige.

I hope he does, it should make great reading. cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by DeepSight(m): 4:43pm On Aug 30, 2010
@ Krayola, ha ha! Representational mathematics is representative of a logical process only! In other words - I do not believe God to be numbers! I have only used numbers as a representational process, thanks!

@Ilosiwju - For me it is sufficient to know that there is logically a source of all things: all existence. I call that source God. If the source brought matter into existence, then it could not itself be matter. Thus the source is intangible or immaterial. If the source brought finite things into existence, then it could not itself be finite. The source thus is infinite or eternal. It thus seems logical to me to suppose the existence of a source of all things which is both intangible and eternal. This I call "God."

Beyond that, all that could concern man is the purpose of this life - to decipher that purpose and live accordingly. In this, religious dogma is of very little use to me, and for this reason I find it entirely unnecessary to clutter my mind with specific pieces of dogma - who is a prophet, who died for sin, we must believe this, we must believe that. . .its all a freaking rat race and I don't need to be part of it.

1 Like

Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by Sagamite(m): 8:00pm On Aug 31, 2010
Deep Sight:

The above is a quote from Sagamite.

This very much interests me as I describe myself as Deist as well.

@ Sagamite - let's discuss the meaning and implications of agnostic deism?

Do you not feel that there are somethings that may be discerned about God - even while God remains a mystery?

Hey,

I have just been notified about this thread.

My position of Agnostic Deism is the source of my iconoclasism about religion.

The meaning of my Agnostic Deism is that I observe the world I live in, I can spot the marvelous intricacy of things on Earth from the living things (e.g. ecosystems, immune system etc) and non-living (e.g. weather, natural resources etc) that works in such an intelligent systemic way to suggest there is some intentional intelligence in their design and functionality. Hence my belief that there is at least one God and hence my Deism beliefs.

I maintain that my belief is there is at least one God. It could be one or it could be more. I don't know, will never know, cannot know, am not bother to know and could not care less about knowing. Hence I am Agnotistic.

I do not believe anybody in the past, present or future knows anything about God or what it wants, hence I do not believe in any of the so-called scriptures and can pick holes in most in seconds because it is written by medieval people, who despite good intelligence had blatant limited knowledge and display some immense ignorance of their times that betrays their argument that they were writing for God.

I believe there is at least one God but I can not prove it, so I will not force my belief/opinion on anybody about that God or what he wants.

Furthermore, I don't believe in all those rubbish about God interfering in day to day lives or the other famous one of destiny. Most that believe in such are just demonstrating their application of superstition to anything they do not understand and that bothers them and wish there is some kind of influence (be it supernatural) in controlling it. I believe the only force baring on your fate in life is Existentialism.

Basically, grab hold of your life and do the best you can irrespective of the inevitable clashes with other's lives as you go on. There will be some situations that will be beyond your control, and no amount of prayers will change that.

Lets for a second say God does actually interfere in lives. If that is the case, I dare say there should be a reversal of roles on judgement day to account why he lets some unbelievable atrocities take place.

I bet some religious goonie somewhere, living in his/her deluded world of what they have been fed without independent thought, would have his jaw dropping and cringing at the thought of my incredible "blasphemy" because (s)he is sure (s)he "knows" what God wants and what offends God. Rubbish! undecided

1 Like

Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by DeepSight(m): 10:42am On Sep 01, 2010
Sagamite:

Hey,

I have just been notified about this thread.

Howdie, Ol' chap?

The meaning of my Agnostic Deism is that I observe the world I live in, I can spot the marvelous intricacy of things on Earth from the living things (e.g. ecosystems, immune system etc) and non-living (e.g. weather, natural resources etc) that works in such an intelligent systemic way to suggest their is some intentional intelligence in their design and functionality. Hence my belief that their is at least one God and Deism.

I entirely agree. Not just the living world about us: but also the very quality of sentience is such that no sincerely rational person could deny the strong suggestion of a supervening factor: which we call God.

The other day a bird laid an egg on my window sill. I had the priviledge over the next few weeks of watching the birds come and go as they took turns sitting on the egg. One day the egg cracked: and I also had the priviledge of seeing the baby bird, and watching it everyday as it grew in leaps and bounds and took to flight less than ten days afterwards. I can only say it was awe inspiring.

Now that is the least of the wonders about us. The human brain being perhaps amongst the most staggering. The universe itself - the most staggering. So indeed I do agree that there is something - however it may be described - which is quite beyond us and which is teh source of the wonder about us. We call that thing God.

I maintain that my belief is their is at least one God. It could be one or it could be more. I don't know, will never know, cannot know, am not bother to know and could not care less about knowing. Hence I am Agnotistic.

But if there are other gods, then the question will remain - from whence? Surely all things must have one primordial and eternal source?

For me: it is that one ultimate source that i recognise as God. What do you think?

I do not believe anybody in the past, present or future knows anything about God or what it wants, hence I do not believe in any of the so-called scriptures and can pick holes in most in seconds because it is written by medieval people, who despite good intelligence had blatant limited knowledge and display some immense ignorance of their times that betrays their argument that they were writing for God.

This is entirely true.

I am particularly pleased with your use of the word "it." Not that God is to me an inanimate thing - but that just seems to be teh correct pronoun for referring to that which is ineffable, and cannot be qualified otherwise.

I believe there is at least one God but I can not prove it, so I will not force my belief/opinion on anybody about that God or what he wants.

I believe there is abundant rational proof for the existence of God - neverheless I agree that it is simply pointless trying to prove this to anyone - especially because most people have made up their minds already and would reject even the most compelling proof or argument.

Furthermore, I don't believe in all those rubbish about God interfering in day to day lives or the other famous one of destiny. Most that believe in such are just demonstrating their application of superstition to anything they do not understand and that bothers them and wish there is some kind of influence (be it supernatural) in controlling it. I believe the only force baring on your fate in life is Existentialism.

I see with this. However do you believe that even if God does not interfere, there are divine laws which guide creation?

For example: the laws of gravity, magnetism, attraction of homogenuous species, karma. etc?

Finally I need to ask you a few questions regarding the spiritual aspect of your agnostic deism?

1. Do you believe in a spiritual/ immaterial part to man - the soul?

2. Do you believe in life after physical death?

3. Do you believe in worlds beyond this world?

Thanks so much for your time.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by Sagamite(m): 11:01am On Sep 01, 2010
Deep Sight:

But if there are other gods, then the question will remain - from whence? Surely all things must have one primordial and eternal source?

For me: it is that one ultimate source that i recognise as God. What do you think?

Bruv,

If we go the route of ultimate source then we risk entering an infinity loop.

How did this ultimate source itself come about?

When you say "Surely all things must have one primordial and eternal source?", I think naturally, our known known is corrupting our attempt to understand this unknown. You are feeding in what you already know to rationalise what you don't know. I do not know if the rules of the known will be the same for the unknown.

Personally, I don't bother my little brain  cheesy with this unknown unknown as I don't think it is possible to know and nobody knows and can ever know.

Deep Sight:

I see with this. However do you believe that even if God does not interfere, there are divine laws which guide creation?

For example: the laws of gravity, magnetism, attraction of homogenuous species, karma. etc?

Yep, definitely.

There appears to be a framework. There is an intentional and uber-intelligent set of rules that apply.

Deep Sight:

Finally I need to ask you a few questions regarding the spiritual aspect of your agnostic deism?

1. Do you believe in a spiritual/ immaterial part to man - the soul?

2. Do you believe in life after physical death?

3. Do you believe in worlds beyond this world?

Thanks so much for your time.

1. Maybe, I am not too sure. It is really hard to know. The question is that: "Is the soul not just the brain as we see it"? That is, is it not our thinking that creates an out-of-body entity we call "soul"?

2. Nope! I, personally o grin, did not see life before birth. I am convinced there will be none after death. My philosophy: "No life before birth, no life after death".

3. That is another unknowable unknown unknown. I tend to just deal with the world I live in and not stress myself on the possibilities of impossibles to know. That is why I look young and stress free.  grin
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by DeepSight(m): 11:30am On Sep 01, 2010
Sagacity!

Sagamite:

Bruv,

If we go the route of ultimate source then we risk entering an infinity loop.

That may or may not be so. Do you not think that somethings are self existent - such that they simply are - simply exist - without requiring a creator. If God is self-existent, then we evade the infinity loop because there would be no need to look beyond God for that which may have caused God. This, I believe is why God is referred to as "the uncaused cause" - namely that God is a cause of all things which is itself self-existent - it does not require a cause.

There are other things which may also be regarded as self-existent - and this may set the tone for a small understanding of God.

One such thing is infinite time or eternity. A state of timelessness.

Such does not require a creator. Such simply is.

How did this ultimate source itself come about?

As I have said above: it would have to be self-existent: something that does not require a cause - such as infinite time, or eternity. It just is.

When you say "Surely all things must have one primordial and eternal source?", I think naturally, our known known is corrupting our attempt to understand this unknown. You are feeding in what you already know to rationalise what you don't know. I do not know if the rules of the known will be the same for the unknown.

Bro, this is actually a fair statement which nobody can dispute. Nevertheless I reflect that this is the only logical alternative to what would otherwise result in the infinity loop you referred to.

There appears to be a framework. There is an intentional and uber-intelligent set of rules that apply.

Absolutely, this is my perception.

1. Maybe, I am not too sure. It is really hard to know. The question is that: "Is the soul not just the brain as we see it"? That is, is it not our thinking that creates an out-of-body entity we call "soul"?

Do you think there are pieces of knowledge or intuition which humans may have, which is not traceable to the physical brain?

Such as a dream about a future event, which plays out in reality in precise detail. This happens to me all the time, and has been the case since I was a child. I know very well that there is no way my brain could have grasped those pieces of information before they actuallu happened.

What do you make of the work of psychics? Do not scoff: psychics across the world are increasingly being deployed by first world police departments and intelligence services. This is a fact.

2. Nope! I, personally o grin, did not see life before birth. I am convinced there will be none after death. My philosophy: "No life before birth, no life after death".

So what then would you say is the purpose of your sojourn on this planet?
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by MyJoe: 11:58am On Sep 01, 2010
Hi Saga

Sagamite:

Sagamite:

Personally, I don't bother my little brain  cheesy with this unknown unknown as I don't think it is possible to know and nobody knows and can ever know.
I see with you on this knowing thing. I know next to nothing, myself. However . . .

How can we know for a fact that nobody knows and can ever know? I understand you have looked at the theses shoved in your face and could rip them apart in seconds. Fine. But what you have had the opportunity of interacting with is probably an infinitesimal part of what is out there. Even your interaction may have been at a superficial level, at best. And that is to say nothing of the biases engendered by the actions and inactions of the pioneers of movements and the salesmen of spiritual goods.

Given the fact of our limited viewpoint, do you find it reasonable to completely dismiss the possibility that God has ever revealed himself, albeit not to you, or in a way you have recognized – yet?
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by Sagamite(m): 1:09pm On Sep 01, 2010
Deep Sight:

That may or may not be so. Do you not think that somethings are self existent - such that they simply are - simply exist - without requiring a creator. If God is self-existent, then we evade the infinity loop because there would be no need to look beyond God for that which may have caused God. This, I believe is why God is referred to as "the uncaused cause" - namely that God is a cause of all things which is itself self-existent - it does not require a cause.

There are other things which may also be regarded as self-existent - and this may set the tone for a small understanding of God.

One such thing is infinite time or eternity. A state of timelessness.

Such does not require a creator. Such simply is.

As I have said above: it would have to be self-existent: something that does not require a cause - such as infinite time, or eternity. It just is.

Uhmm. I have come across that philosophical argumentation of infinite time before by one of my closest friends, but I have forgotten the premise. I remember it being an intelligent concept sha, as it knocked my argument off balance. Abeg refresh my memory on the premise.

That said, I find it hard to believe of things that just existing without a creator. Maybe that is the corruption of my independent thought by my known knowns.

And if there is an uncaused cause, why does it have to be only one? Could it not be multiples?

Deep Sight:

Do you think there are pieces of knowledge or intuition which humans may have, which is not traceable to the physical brain?

Such as a dream about a future event, which plays out in reality in precise detail. This happens to me all the time, and has been the case since I was a child. I know very well that there is no way my brain could have grasped those pieces of information before they actuallu happened.

Yep. I struggle to conceptualise my de ja vus too. I have never really had a dream that came into reality.

This falls into the area of known unknowns for me. For each person, this intuition is different and it is hard to separate between real and dillusions (or even fallacy in some cases by some individuals).

So conclusion is it is a "Maybe".

Deep Sight:

What do you make of the work of psychics? Do not scoff: psychics across the world are increasingly being deployed by first world police departments and intelligence services. This is a fact.

Nah, I will not scoff!

I used to be an Iconoclast on all these belief about juju and the rest until I saw this:

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCK1D9dC3g&p=ADD3FC77CF10DC89&playnext=1&index=11[/flash]

Now, I find it hard to believe that is an illusion!!!

If these guy has the ability to do this, why can some not have in different spheres?

So some may have powers that are unexplained that we do not have or, if we do have, have not been able to discover and harness.

Or maybe I am wrong, and that was just some perfect illusion.

Deep Sight:

So what then would you say is the purpose of your sojourn on this planet?

Ah! This one is the easiest thing you have asked me all day.

I know my purpose in life well well.

I came to Earth to frolic with women.  grin I came to grab as many ikebes (pear, donkey and submarine size) and bosoms (double D, B, C , D, E, double Gs etc) as I can get.  cheesy

Joking! That is what I thought until about 2 and the half years ago when I got bored of all that.  grin

On a more serious note, I ask: "Is it compulsory we have a purpose on earth rather than just live our lives"? "Is this just not one of the religious ideologies thrown to coerce lay-minds to conform to religous beliefs"? "If we must have a purpose in life, then surely every chicken, fish, tolontolo and other animals must have one too. And I doubt they do, apart from just live their lives"?

So, Nah, I don't believe there is any purpose or duties as part of the sojourn on Earth. That is just religious abstraction, otherwise when I was born I would have been clutching a list of my duties or have a programme inserted in my brain like Terminator with my Mission: [Says in robotic way] "Grrrow up and bang girls".  grin
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by Sagamite(m): 1:20pm On Sep 01, 2010
MyJoe:

Hi Saga
I see with you on this knowing thing. I know next to nothing, myself. However . . .

How can we know for a fact that nobody knows and can ever know? I understand you have looked at the theses shoved in your face and could rip them apart in seconds. Fine. But what you have had the opportunity of interacting with is probably an infinitesimal part of what is out there. Even your interaction may have been at a superficial level, at best. And that is to say nothing of the biases engendered by the actions and inactions of the pioneers of movements and the salesmen of spiritual goods.

Given the fact of our limited viewpoint, do you find it reasonable to completely dismiss the possibility that God has ever revealed himself, albeit not to you, or in a way you have recognized – yet?

Hey.

I definitely agree with your infinitesimal and superficial assertion.

I cannot know for a fact if anybody knows or have interacted with God.

My ratiocination is that it is not possible but if anybody is going to tell me that it is, I will need strong irrefutable proof to be convinced. Definitely not going to believe because of oratory and psychological prowess, definitely not going to believe through memes, and definitely I will not believe without proof because I am told there is a harsh punishment for not believing (e.g. Hell fire or cast into insufferable infinity after death).
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by ilosiwaju: 1:56pm On Sep 01, 2010
Let me quip on the psychic part. DS, for the psychic part and their being employed by police departments, though not all psychics set out to deceive people but unfortunately the honest ones among them often think they are tapping into some kind of supernatural power where they are just being good cold readers, psychologists and performers.
You need to watch some Banachek and Derren Brown and even research on cold reading.
Deepsight, in case you dont know, belief in psychic powers will gradually lead you to supernaturals which are stuffs you've claimed you dont subscribe to. When it comes to psychics/magic, its just skills man, skills that can be learnt and perfected over a long time.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by DeepSight(m): 2:02pm On Sep 01, 2010
^^^ Ilosi, respectfully, I doubt that you are well informed on the subject.

Cold reading/ psycology cannot explain talents such as remote viewing, where psychics have been used (and are still being used) by espionage agencies globally. It similarly cannot explain investigations whereat psychics make determinations without meeting any possible suspects at all. There is much more I can mention, but it will be best to simply refer you to the Crime & Investigation Channel.

You will be shocked just how much supposedly scientific governments are relying on the para-normal.

And let me just correct one insinuation/ impression contained in your post: I am NOT a materialist. I do believe in the para-normal - difference is I simply regard it as dealing with perfectly natural laws that we are yet to fully understand.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by ilosiwaju: 2:47pm On Sep 01, 2010
Deep Sight:

^^^ Ilosi, respectfully, I doubt that you are well informed on the subject.

Cold reading/ psycology cannot explain talents such as remote viewing, where psychics have been used (and are still being used) by espionage agencies globally. It similarly cannot explain investigations whereat psychics make determinations without meeting any possible suspects at all. There is much more I can mention, but it will be best to simply refer you to the Crime & Investigation Channel.

You will be shocked just how much supposedly scientific governments are relying on the para-normal.
Wow! Remote viewing is still an outlandish claim and the evidence is still inconclusive. Let me quote Wiseman:

I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven, but begs the question: do we need higher standards of evidence when we study the paranormal? I think we do. (, ) if I said that a UFO had just landed, you'd probably want a lot more evidence. Because remote viewing is such an outlandish claim that will revolutionize [sic] the world, we need overwhelming evidence before we draw any conclusions. Right now we don't have that evidence." Richard Wiseman Daily Mail, January 28, 2008, pp 28–29 [30]

Whether science will suffice as a means of measuring its validity is something i wont talk about now. Scientifically(biology/physiology/psychology) a lie detector is a machine that has helped solve crimes, used by PDs and so on. As gadgetry as this stuffs is plus its scientific magana magana(talk talk), its results are still not admissible in many courts in developed countries. Why? Now compare DNA evidence. See?

I'd like you to clearly explain your own version of belief in the paranormal. Ghosts? Visions? Premonitions? I'd love to hear you deepsight.

On a lighter note, would you cancel your flight(hmmmm. . . .say to ICJ at the hague wink) if a professional psychic has remote-viewed the plane going down? Thats what i mean by validity. wink

Over to you bro.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by DeepSight(m): 3:00pm On Sep 01, 2010
ilosiwaju:

Wow! Remote viewing is still an outlandish claim and the evidence is still inconclusive. Let me quote Wiseman:

The answer lies in your OWN QUOTE:

"I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven" - Wiseman.

What else needs be said? If it is proven by the standards of normal science, is it fair or credible to begin to demand "higher proof? ? ?"

Whether science will suffice as a means of measuring its validity is something i wont talk about now. Scientifically(biology/physiology/psychology) a lie detector is a machine that has helped solve crimes, used by PDs and so on. As gadgetry as this stuffs is plus its scientific magana magana(talk talk), its results are still not admissible in many courts in developed countries. Why? Now compare DNA evidence. See?

Well the reality is that Polygraph Tests are admissible in many courts as well. This is entirely beside teh fact that I personally do not trust them: for they rely on the nervousness of a human being to determine falsehood - and humans can be nervous for a whole lot of reasons other than falsehood.

I'd like you to clearly explain your own version of belief in the paranormal. Ghosts? Visions? Premonitions? I'd love to hear you deepsight.

This will require a whole thread.

On a lighter note, would you cancel your flight(hmmmm. . . .say to ICJ at the hague wink) if a professional psychic has remote-viewed the plane going down? Thats what i mean by validity. wink

Over to you bro.

I can't imagine why you would attempt to discredit something that your own source affirms as passing standard scientific tests of proof. Especially when whole governments have placed reliance on same for purposes of espionage.

The human mind/ spirit are capable of astonishing things. What do you imagine espoinage would look like 500 years from now? How do you suppose those abilities would be developed? Aha.

Do not lightly discountenance movies like the Matrix and the new one - "Inception" - dealing with espionage through dreams.

We don't even know a tenth of what's possible yet mate. Make no assumptions.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by MyJoe: 3:05pm On Sep 01, 2010
Sagamite:

I cannot know for a fact if anybody knows or have interacted with God.
My own views are deistically inclined and I share many of the thoughts you have expressed in this thread. The major difference is that in the above statement I would substitute "do not" for "cannot".
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by MissyB1(m): 4:46pm On Sep 01, 2010
Excuse ma off-topic post. grin

Saga,
Yes, I am.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by DeepSight(m): 5:33pm On Sep 01, 2010
Sagamite:

Uhmm. I have come across that philosophical argumentation of infinite time before by one of my closest friends, but I have forgotten the premise. I remember it being an intelligent concept sha, as it knocked my argument off balance. Abeg refresh my memory on the premise.

Well its as simple as already said really: infinite time is a static reality. It cannot conceivably be caused. Accordingly if we speak of an infinite and eternal entity, such an entity is self-existent and of eternity. Such an entity cannot be said to require a cause as under the cosmological argument it is manifest that only things which begin at a point in time logically require a trigger --  cause.

So this will eliminate the problem of an infinite regress at we are dealing with something that self-exists and requires no precedng cause.

That said, I find it hard to believe of things just existing without a creator. Maybe that is the corruption of my independent thought by my known knowns.

Who created Time. Infact, what is time?

And if there is an uncaused cause, why does it have to be only one? Could it not be multiples?

The uncaused cause is envisaged as the Prime Mover of all existence. The idea of a prime mover is inconsisent with and parallel to the concept of multiple causes.

Nevertheless there are several things that may indeed be said to be uncaused. Eternity is one such. Numbers and infinity are another. My perception is that these uncaused elements are the elements of the Godhead.
Ah! This one is the easiest thing you have asked me all day.

I know my purpose in life well well.

I came to Earth to frolic with women.  grin I came to grab as many ikebes (pear, donkey and submarine size) and bosoms (double D, B, C , D, E, double Gs etc) as I can get.  cheesy

Joking! That is what I thought until about 2 and the half years ago when I got bored of all that.  grin

My brother, i feel you o! I tell you for a long time I had concluded that the highest purpose on earth was punany! The thing is just damn too compelling - especially when it comes clad in waist chains,  six inch stillettos and all that. . .ah, i'd better not get distracted  cool cool cool grin grin grin

On a more serious note, I ask: "Is it compulsory we have a purpose on earth rather than just live our lives"? "Is this just not one of the religious ideologies thrown to coerce lay-minds to conform to religous beliefs"? "If we must have a purpose in life, then surely every chicken, fish, tolontolo and other animals must have one too. And I doubt they do, apart from just live their lives"?

Indeed every creature does have a unique purpose and function within an ecosystem. Its a grand cycle. The predator ensures control on cattle poulations. The control ensures that the grassy plains are not over-grazed. That allows sufficient greenery to be sustained to maintain the rain cycle. That allows the earth to be watered and that gives fresh life. Just a rough example of the grand cycle of things. So everything has its purpose.

What is your purpose.

As a sentient being, can you contemplate or tolerate the prospect of a meaningless existence? Does that not rebel against your most basic nature as a conscious and sentient being?
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by Krayola(m): 5:45pm On Sep 01, 2010
@deepsight. Is there any (as far as u know) documented case of a psychic, or remote viewer helping SOLVE a case? Does the fact that they have been employed really mean anything?
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by DeepSight(m): 5:48pm On Sep 01, 2010
^^^ There are several, I will try dig them up, but really and truly the best source is Crime & Investigation Channel. I have personally watched several such cases on C & I over the last few years. I'll look around and see what I can source, but best of all, if you give me your number (you have my email) I will scour through teh t.v guide and send you pointers to what times to tune in to that channel and you will have your fill of raw evidence.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by MyJoe: 6:17pm On Sep 01, 2010
^^^ Some of them have been put on video cds you can purchase at shops. If I can find some of my old ones I might be able to let you know what to ask for.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by Sagamite(m): 7:47pm On Sep 01, 2010
MyJoe:

My own views are deistically inclined and I share many of the thoughts you have expressed in this thread. The major difference is that in the above statement I would substitute "do not" for "cannot".

Nah, there is no difference.

I stand corrected, na grammar fail me.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by Sagamite(m): 8:21pm On Sep 01, 2010
Deep Sight:

Well its as simple as already said really: infinite time is a static reality. It cannot conceivably be caused. Accordingly if we speak of an infinite and eternal entity, such an entity is self-existent and of eternity. Such an entity cannot be said to require a cause as under the cosmological argument it is manifest that only things which begin at a point in time logically require a trigger --  cause.

So this will eliminate the problem of an infinite regress at we are dealing with something that self-exists and requires no precedng cause.

Yeah, that was the central argumentation that my friend put forth.

If I was to ratiocinate that now, could it not be argued that time is an appendage of existence itself? Surely time starts when existence of matter occurs? Your time starts when you were concieved? Cosmologically, time starts when the elements of the planets and space started? Before that, it was nothing, hence no time?

Deep Sight:

Who created Time. Infact, what is time?

This ties back to my dialectics above. Time is a temporal appendage to existence, hence I would not say it is created. Existence is created, time is just a temporal measure of existence.

Disclaimer: That is my rough theory when being put on the spot, it is not necessarily sound and water-tight under testing.

Deep Sight:

The uncaused cause is envisaged as the Prime Mover of all existence. The idea of a prime mover is inconsisent with and parallel to the concept of multiple causes.

Nevertheless there are several things that may indeed be said to be uncaused. Eternity is one such. Numbers and infinity are another. My perception is that these uncaused elements are the elements of the Godhead.

Why does prime mover have to be singular? Is this not a rule generated from the corruption of our philosophy by our prevalent supernatural power ideology? The insistence that ultimate power is centralised, and can never be distributed?

Deep Sight:

Indeed every creature does have a unique purpose and function within an ecosystem. Its a grand cycle. The predator ensures control on cattle poulations. The control ensures that the grassy plains are not over-grazed. That allows sufficient greenery to be sustained to maintain the rain cycle. That allows the earth to be watered and that gives fresh life. Just a rough example of the grand cycle of things. So everything has its purpose.

What is your purpose.

Ok, if this was your angle then my purpose on Earth is to take my place in the functioning of the ecosystem.

That is why I eat my chicken, fufu, suya and even ponmo to revitalise my ponmo lips.  grin

I mistakenly thought the angle you were exploring was the normally pietistic one of "we are here to worship God to show our appreciation for our existence". [Scoffs] Is existence such a great thing in the first place for most people?

Deep Sight:

As a sentient being, can you contemplate or tolerate the prospect of a meaningless existence? Does that not rebel against your most basic nature as a conscious and sentient being?

In regards to sentiency, as long as I am mostly living the life I want to live when I want to live, then my existence is meaningful and I believe I am serving my purpose on Earth which is to live my life. The forces of existentialism still applies to aid or Arrow what I want to live.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by OAM4J: 11:33pm On Sep 01, 2010
silently subscribing!
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by mamagee3(f): 12:34am On Sep 02, 2010
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by Sagamite(m): 10:30pm On Sep 02, 2010
[size=18pt]Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe[/size]

There is no place for God in theories on the creation of the Universe, Professor Stephen Hawking has said.

He had previously argued belief in a creator was not incompatible with science but in a new book, he concludes the Big Bang was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics.

The Grand Design, part serialised in the Times, says there is no need to invoke God to set the Universe going.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something," he concluded.

'Planetary conditions'

In his new book, an extract of which appears in the Times, Britain's most famous physicist sets out to contest Sir Isaac Newton's belief that the universe must have been designed by God as it could not have sprung out of chaos.

Citing the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting a star other than our Sun, he said: "That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions - the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass - far less remarkable, and far less compelling as evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings."

He adds: "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

The book was co-written by US physicist Leonard Mlodinow and is published on 9 September.

In his 1988 bestseller, A Brief History of Time, Prof Hawking appeared to accept the role of God in the creation of the Universe.

"If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we should know the mind of God," he said.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by yommyuk: 2:24pm On Sep 05, 2010
My take on this matter is simple

Man's attempts to understand the human "soul" will forever exist to the "end of time” This search is often merged with philosophy, theology, anthropology, physiology, etc. In my opinion, there are 2 sides of the coin; "The Supernatural" and the "Natural". The natural is self explanatory because this is the seen world. What we can see physically.

Now I will explore the supernatural by sighting a personal experience. My brother (same father & mother) grew up attending the same church. Never being separated from birth. My brother is a prophet who prophesies. I have known him all my life no doubt. When he goes into a spiritual trance, what comes from his mouth is beyond comprehension. If it was another person, I would have had my doubts. Leave my brother to sing just 3 hymns and see the Holy Spirit take over. Afterwards, ask him of the experience, HE DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE. It is these UNKNOWN manifestations that blows my mind. The things that cannot be explained. Explaining the UNKNOWN UNKNOWNS grin. I can write so many testimonies and experiences I have encountered. So when people start uttering that God does not exist or try to box him into a small corner. It just makes me want to HALLA cry

I won't force my beliefs or faith on anyone. Nay. We live in a free world brethren. cool Thank God for that.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by mazaje(m): 8:06pm On Sep 05, 2010
Agnostic Deism, hmmmm, nice!. . . . . .I like this thread. . . . .
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by yommyuk: 5:48am On Sep 06, 2010
Agnostic Deism, hmmmm, nice!. . . . . .I like this thread. . . . .
Nice
I will call it unfortunate, ridiculous and pitiful undecided

The Christian faith is being challenged and u call that nice? Hmm God forgive u!!!
Do u guys know the meaning of faith at all. Surely not. Even witches and wizards acknowledge the existence of God. Even satan your father acknowledges his existence.

As christians, "Faith" to us is having confidence that what we hope for will actually happen. Giving us assurance about things we CANNOT SEE.
This is not a feel good factor. Nay! Instead Faith to us involves CONFIDENT ACTION in RESPONSE to what God has made known to us by the Holy Spirit. Faith comes into play in a variety of life's circumstances. The results of faith are also various. Some people get rescued, acheive success in life, and get some of what GOD has promised in their lifetimes. Multiple instances. Things that happen beyond ones capability and comprehension.

You may ask me "What does it mean to live by faith?" or is this posting relevant to the topic discussed above. But I put it before you ,We live out our belief "that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him" Those who live by faith take confident action based on what God has revealed about his character, seeking to do his will in all things.

Whose will are u lot advocating? The truth lies within you and that is the "Breath of Life" God gave u without no charge. lipsrsealed
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by mazaje(m): 7:12am On Sep 06, 2010
yommyuk:

Nice
I will call it unfortunate, ridiculous and pitiful undecided

Pity yourself and your blind beliefs in the baseless and ridiculous myths and Jewish folklore that you have been systematically indoctrinated to believe in since childhood and not me.  . .

The Christian faith is being challenged and u call that nice? Hmm God forgive u!!!
Do u guys know the meaning of faith at all. Surely not. Even witches and wizards acknowledge the existence of God. Even satan your father acknowledges his existence.

What the heck is faith apart from believing some set of cleverly packaged lies that were clearly assembled as some form of "truth" ONLY because you have been indoctrinated long enough to accept those lies. . . . .What the heck is satan? Have you ever seen him, how does he looks like?, what language does he speak? The people here are talking about reality and its possibilities while you are busy banding one myth after the other, what has the satan myth got to do with what is being discussed here?. . . . . .Point to the existence of satan of forever shut you mouth. . . . .

As christians, "Faith" to us is having confidence that what we hope for will actually happen. Giving us assurance about things we CANNOT SEE.
This is not a feel good factor. Nay! Instead Faith to us involves CONFIDENT ACTION in RESPONSE to what God has made known to us by the Holy Spirit. Faith comes into play in a variety of life's circumstances. The results of faith are also various. Some people get rescued, acheive success in life, and get some of what GOD has promised in their lifetimes. Multiple instances. Things that happen beyond ones capability and comprehension.

You ONLY believe or have "faith" because you have been indoctrinated and made to believe a set of rules and lifestyle that was invented by other men like you, nothing more, your faith is completely delusional as long as reality is concerned . . .

You may ask me "What does it mean to live by faith?" or is this posting relevant to the topic discussed above. But I put it before you ,We live out our belief "that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him" Those who live by faith take confident action based on what God has revealed about his character, seeking to do his will in all things.

Whose will are u lot advocating? The truth lies within you and that is the "Breath of Life" God gave u without no charge.  lipsrsealed

When did any God personally appear to you and told you that he revealed anything to any body, you just accept the lies that other have told you and have been telling all the time, no?. . . .By the way I don't see the point of worshiping a being that is the product of the human psyche. A personal savior God is an idea that man has created to overcome his fear of death and to avoid the non-being of his ego. A way to escape the reality of today into the expectation of an imaginary everlasting future. That is why I don't believe in the idea of a personal creator God who promises eternal life, because in actuality, doing so is a defense mechanism people use to fool our temporary egos into believing that they can really exist forever in some paradise. I guess I don't believe in your God because I see myself for what I truly am, that is a finite being whose true nature transcends his ego and all it's ideas. I don't need to live in heaven for all eternity because I am living today, and one can't really expect much more than that.
Re: Sagamite, Lets Discuss Agnostic Deism by yommyuk: 11:09am On Sep 06, 2010
Are u happy now? So u are feeling cool eh? All you are doing is letting out steam of frustration.
Lost soul. Satan is waiting for your arse in hell rude boy sad
Store up that steam ok, becos Hell fire is going to be hotter. That thick head of yours which satan has covered with spiritual darkness will burn so tey, mummy and daddy won't be able to help u out. And that tongue that u re using to blaspleme will melt like candle in hell. This is not a curse but a reality check. LOST ONE! cry

As for me, don't worry I am on the right path. cheesy
Not too late bro wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should Pastors In Nigeria Pay Tax? / Prophet Uebert Angel Vs Prophet T.B Joshua / Prophetic Word For You Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.