Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) (3263 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience / Tips for car owners and those who are looking for a car! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by layi(m): 5:52pm On Jan 13, 2006
Petrol/Diesel prices keep rising! Here are some tips to help you conserve petrol and save money as we approach summer gas prices.

1. Keep your car tuned up. Cars in poor running condition use more petrol.

2. Plan trips well to avoid unnecessary driving.

3. When you run your air conditioner you get much worse PMS mileage. Use your air conditioner sparingly. If you have a lower setting, use it. Turn it on until the car gets cool, then turn it off and let the fan circulate the cool air. Never run your air conditioner with your windows open!

4. Keep your windows closed when traveling at high speeds. Open windows cause additional drag and lower your gas mileage. At high speeds, an open window can use more gas than many air conditioners (especially if they are on a low setting).

5. Check your tire pressure. Over-inflated tires can actually reduce your fuel efficiency, so don't overfill.

6. If at all possible, change your work start time to avoid gridlock. Stop and go traffic hurts your PMS mileage.

7. Take unneeded items out of the car. You don't need to carry snow chains around with you in the summertime. Just make sure to put them back in when winter comes around.

8. Try not to idle your engine for long periods of time. If you are stuck in traffic (common in Lagos) and you don't think you are going to go anywhere in the next five minutes, you may want to turn your car off.

9. You no longer need to warm your car up for long periods of time, especially new cars. New cars are made to run when cold.

10. Don't travel at fast speeds in low gears unless you need the compression to slow down.

11. Try to drive the speed limit. Just try. there are temptations when u r in a 'not-so-law-abiding' country like Nigeria but...try.

12. Try to accelerate slowly when leaving the stop light. It's not a competition with the driver in the lane next to you. The fastest person through the intersection just gets to spend more on petrol.

13. No need to buy the highest priced petrol. Most cars are built to run on regular unleaded.

14. Revving the engine needlessly wastes gasoline (vroom vooom vom). Lots of us are guilty of that especially if u want mama nkechi and the kids to always know u are back. There is no need to rev before you turn your vehicle off.

15. If at all possible, go on foot if u want to see someone half a mile away from ur home. I am not Ijebu o.

16. When the price is sky high, don't fill up. Wait for the price to go down before you fill up your tank. Filling up your tank when the price is peaking lets gas companies know that you are willing to pay ridiculous prices for PMS. Na wetin dey kill us. If its doesnt as usual..at least u've protested in a way

17. And last, the biggest and most important step towards saving money on gas is always try to purchase vehicles that get good gas mileage. The difference between 20 miles-per-gallon and 40 miles-per-gallon is huge.
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Hunter(m): 1:47pm On Mar 04, 2006
I know someone at school's parents who own a Chrysler something or other that manages 6 MPG horay cheesy
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by dwizzle: 2:23pm On Mar 04, 2006
ol boy, u be nigerian? all this things wey u write down no fit work for lagos o!
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Ka: 3:52pm On Mar 04, 2006
7. Take unneeded items out of the car. You don't need to carry snow chains around with you in the summertime. Just make sure to put them back in when winter comes around.
Summertime? Snow chains? Winter? In Nigeria?
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Seun(m): 4:05pm On Mar 04, 2006
[sigh] cut and paste operation. THere's nothing wrong with indicating the source of stuff.
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Hunter(m): 11:11pm On Mar 04, 2006
Also travelling in low gears at high speeds is fun,

VROOM cheesy
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by gigitte(f): 5:19am On Mar 05, 2006
also fill up your tank in the morning, petrol is denser, so you get more
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Hunter(m): 10:40am On Mar 06, 2006
I'm not sure how much credence that tip has in nigeria, I'm not sure it gets cold enough to make a differnece (I can't say i've ever really noticed a difference here)
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by gigitte(f): 9:13pm On Mar 06, 2006
dunno but in abuja sha my body noticed a big difference, not sure if the petrol does
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by layi(m): 1:03pm On Mar 07, 2006
@Seun
, and what diff would the source make to you and ur car?
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Seun(m): 5:53pm On Mar 07, 2006
It will put us on the right side of the law and good conscience. Would you like someone copying your stuff without attribution? This is called plaigarism.

1 Like

Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by tipsy289(m): 9:13pm On Mar 07, 2006
Hmmn, true but not 2 sure if everythin will work in nigeria,for no 16, price no go drop,its ur biz if u dont fill,trust these companies
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by tamia(f): 6:15am On Mar 08, 2006
wait!!!!!!!!! petrol is the same as gas right?
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by layi(m): 2:50pm On Mar 09, 2006
Seun:

[sigh] cut and paste operation. THere's nothing wrong with indicating the source of stuff.

Seun:

It will put us on the right side of the law and good conscience. Would you like someone copying your stuff without attribution? This is called plaigarism.

Lil Bro. Half knowledge is dangerous. Go learn more about plagiarism. Its not just grammer that can be used sporadically to boost your linguistic ego.
Plagiarism is copy (without crediting) intelectual property, but what kind of properties are termed IP under law?
If this is plagiarism, then all the jokes in your jokes section are plagiarised. In fact you are gulty as well.
I agree, it'll be 'nicer' if I add a source but my dear i know you're just a sorry devourer waitin to prey at any opportunity. It don't bother me a bit. U r good at accusing than praising. keep it up. Not ready to argue though but just thot it nice to chip in a word.
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Seun(m): 5:08am On Mar 17, 2006
All because you can't say "sorry".
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Blackbuddy: 3:19pm On Apr 05, 2006
Layi, you know Seun is right. "Copying and pasting" is bad enough, the least you could have done was at least credit the source so other people could look it up and share in any other piece of knowledge available. Calling Seun "Lil Bro" wasn't polite and unnecesary. I'm sure you are a much more civil person. Just say something nice.
PS. And credit the source of the article you "copied and pasted".
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by hotangel2(f): 9:24pm On Apr 05, 2006
tamia:

wait!!!!!!!!! petrol is the same as gas right?

yes hun.
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by buraimoh(m): 3:59pm On Jul 24, 2006
I believe Petrol Consumption depend on the grade of the Vehicle I.e Compare new vehicle with Tokunbo
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Oracle(m): 2:43am On Sep 28, 2006
Now boyz (seun and layi) how many cars do both of you have?
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Nobody: 5:55am On Aug 02, 2007
@seun
i agree with you on your main point, the issue is that people will always want to turn defence into attack. what you asked him to do is simple, even genuis does it!, "ackowlwdge your source", period, so why try to pick a quarrel?. sometimes nairaland can be so annoying, but we are somehow stucked and sucked into it!
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by st1(m): 8:54am On Aug 02, 2007
How many of unna get car? wey unna they yan dust so.
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by layi(m): 3:25am On Aug 03, 2007
Plagiarism or not. I resent correction from 'him', Thats all.
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Kashif(m): 12:51pm On Aug 03, 2007
I disagree that over-inflated tyres could reduce mileage. It is infact, the opposite. Under-inflation causes the tyres to have broader contact with the road which leads to increased friction uncecessary traction. Note that your engine will have to labour more to get things going. Abi no bi so?
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Aporo: 7:25pm On Aug 03, 2007
Peeps,

The question Seun could have asked before taking a stand on the fact of plagiarism was whether the write up was "copy and paste" or otherwise. That was not asked and i dare say that only Layi can confirm that fact.

I agree with Layi though that we need to have in sight what contextually amounts to plagiarism.

In my view, it is possible that Layi actually improved on the content, tweaked it and presented in a totally different form.

He could also have sourced additional materials and or facts in addition to the original material (if that is the case)!

Or even collate different materials and facts from different sources in which case the end product will likely not be plagiarism.

Objectivity in the premises is likely to lend more strength to Layi's position than it would to Seun. It would have been a different scenario if Seun asked questions before concluding on the fact of plagiarism.
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Seun(m): 7:29pm On Aug 03, 2007
You're arguing about the wrong thing, mate. It's definitely a cut and paste job. Come back to the real world.
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Seun(m): 7:31pm On Aug 03, 2007
http://www.frugalfun.com/18-tips-to-save-money-on-gas.html

http://copyscape.com/view.php?o=74372&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.frugalfun.com%2F18-tips-to-save-money-on-gas.html&t=1186165934&s=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nairaland.com%2Fnigeria%2Ftopic-5064.0.html&w=27&c=1
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Aporo: 7:34pm On Aug 03, 2007
Seun,

Thank you for the subtle derogation in advising me to use my perception.

Without using it however (since that is your almighty verdict) i dare say that only Layi can confirm in the circumstances if the write up was "cut and paste" or otherwise.

You should be more open to adverse views seun even if you will not agree with them! I hope you will not tell me to use my brains this time around!
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Seun(m): 7:41pm On Aug 03, 2007
You can use the website www.copyscape.com to check. I checked before posting. Anyway, thanks for the attention.
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Aporo: 7:42pm On Aug 03, 2007
I just checked the link and i think you should have introduced it much earlier on this thread.

I don't dispute facts especially the ones that speak for themselves. I will not be using my "perception" to ignore such evidence in the circumstances.

Layi, it's up to you to defend yourself!!!

Thank you Seun for speed and resourcefulness!!
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 03, 2007
@seun,
i like the subtle way you have ignored St 1 or whatever he calls himself, you should go a bit further by removing such post. i know many people won't like this idea, but it's a better way to tell people that if they can't contribute constructively to a topic, they should just keep quiet!
Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by ell77(f): 7:26pm On Aug 12, 2007
CHOOSING YOUR CAR WISELY IS A GOOD IDEA! Many people have cottoned on to the 'fuel efficient car' idea!

For sale . . . the exceptional . . . Mazda Millenia

The Millenia has been praised for its exceptional fit and finish, and the Millenia S is the only car sold in America to feature the Miller-cycle engine, a supercharged piston power plant that is much more fuel efficient than its 210-horsepower rating might suggest. The Millenia competes in the very crowded near-luxury segment and considered by many to be a luxury car in its own right, where its flowing lines set it apart from the competition.

This SILVER car is available for sale in Lagos and is priced at an amazing NGN 900,000 (less than a third of its real cost in the USA)! This is indeed fantastic value for money and I promise you, it will be a struggle to find a better offer elsewhere for such a prestigious car. Still, astonishinly there may be some possibilities for minor price negotiations upon viewing this car.

For more details and to arrange to view this luxurious auto, please contact me on ell7heaven@yahoo.co.uk and enter into your email the subject title MAZDA MILLENIA. Or alternatively, post your details on this thread. More details will be added shortly, in the mean time a sample picture of the type of car is included below (not actual photo - this will come shortly).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Re: How To Save Money On Fuel (car Owners) by Ivvie: 7:35pm On Nov 17, 2007
@Poster

American cars run warm.  You'll have to warm up to a certain temperature before selecting gear.  Usually when the idle drops to 800-900rpm.  Euro cars run cool but still need to warm up before taking off to allow components expand.  Neglecting this will cause wear and tear because the gases cooled when the ignition is turned off is acidic.

Cars built for higher octane will run only on higher octane.  Using a lower octane for a heat engine specified for higher is monetarily not economical.  You fuel wouldn't burn completely and above all, experience lower gas mileage or fueling up more frequent than it's calculated frequency.  Premium octane burns slowly/cool while the regular or lower octane burns hot/faster.  Cross matching from higher to lower octane will resort to engine knocks and pings.  You won't want that happening in your luxury vehicle.  Some cars (Volvo S70) will give you a check engine light with a vacuum leak error.

wrt traffic:  You are better off letting your engine remain idle at traffic than cranking your vehicle everytime traffic picks pace.  You waste a lot of gasoline and battery power when cranking your vehicle.  On the other hand, it isn't normal to leave your vehicle running at idle.  It's termed cylinder washout.  An hour of idle engine run is approx. 120 miles put on the engine and wear stress.  Gasoline doesn't burn appropriately at this condition as well. 

The truth is that you cannot save gasoline beyond the capacity it is designed for. A gas guzzler will always be a fuel hog. Buying a smaller engine will only consume gas directly proportional to the size of a bigger engine.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latest Cars In Town / 02/03 Camry Aka Big 4notin Bushings/linkage Noise / How To Spot A 'kazeem' (kazeem's Top Fixes)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.