Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo (3604 Views)

Nigerians React To Martin Onovo's Interview On Channels Today - Video / Ibrahim Coomasie, Son Of Abacha’s Police IG Shows Off Wealth (PHOTOS) / President Buhari Orders Arrest Of Wife’s Younger Brother Over Alleged Extortion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by jensinmi(m): 3:22am On Sep 02, 2010
Court Orders Arrest Of Police IG, Onovo

Justice Olukayode Adeniyi of an Abuja High Court this morning ordered for the arrest and detention of the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ogbonna Onovo for disobeying the order of the court mandating him to release Corporal Onyebuchi Eze who was alleged to have been involved in the kidnap of an unnamed victim.

Corporal Onyebuchi Eze and two others, Mr. Austin Duru and Corporal Kenneth  Chikure were alleged to have been involved in kidnapping and armed robbery at Awka, the Anambra State capital.

They were arrested in October 2009 and have been in detention for over 11 months without being arraigned before any court.

While in detention, Corporal Onyebuchi Eze became critically ill and required urgent medical attention but the police authorities refused him access to medical care.

Following the refusal of the police authorities to allow him access to medical attention, a human rights organisation, Internatoonal Human Right Protection Initiative led by Mr. Samuel Nuradingo approached the Abuja High Court on 12 August, 2010 and secured a court order mandating the police to release Eze on bail to enable him attend to his failing health.

After hearingt the submission made by Mr. Azakemo Oteiku on behalf of the sick accused person, Justice Adeniyi granted an order directing the police to release Eze on bail.

Onovo, against whom the order was made, ignored the court order and refused to release Eze as directed by the court. This led to the issuance of further orders by the presiding judge mandating Onovo to appear before the court in person and show cause why he should not be committed to prison for disobeying the court order.

Again, Onovo failed to show up. Angered by this attitude of Onovo, Justice Adeniyi at the resumed hearing of the case this morning, ordered all law enforcement agencies in the country to effect Onovo’s arrest and commital to prison until he purges himself of the contempt to which he holds the honourable court.

The judge lamented the habitual disdain and disrespect displayed by Onovo in respect of the court orders and decried the incessant cases of fundamental rights violation by the Nigerian Police Force and wondered how much of the police budget was devoted to paying compensation to victims of human rights violation.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/08/30/court-orders-arrest-of-police-ig-onovo/

http://worldnewsvine.com/2010/08/court-orders-arrest-of-nigerias-police-boss/
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by ud4u: 10:52am On Sep 02, 2010
Rule of law in action
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by tkb417(m): 11:08am On Sep 02, 2010
so who will effect the arrest?
another police man or the military people

i dont see how a Policeman will go and arrest the oga patapata with all the security personnel he has
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by matiltomd(f): 11:11am On Sep 02, 2010
This is the headline I look forward to- "Onovo obeys court order", Lol
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 02, 2010
which cell can accommodate that big stomach? cheesy cheesy
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by Kennyblues(m): 11:22am On Sep 02, 2010
Let the show begin
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by oge4real(f): 11:26am On Sep 02, 2010
All these jugdes sef. Looking for attention.
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by SmashingM(f): 11:43am On Sep 02, 2010
oyb:

I wonder'o grin grin
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by oladayo042: 12:06pm On Sep 02, 2010
ud4u:

Rule of law in action
Which rule of law? Since Monday when the judgement was given, have they now arrested him or he has gone into "hiding"?
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 02, 2010
I LOVE this Judge

No one judge before had had the audacity to interprete the law fully when it concerns big-cat office holders before.

its SYMBOLIC,even if Onovo is not arrested,at least he will do something now
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by eayvone: 12:22pm On Sep 02, 2010
How can onebe in the cell for 11months without a hearing in court. I do not think that the law enforement and the Judiciary have done anything right in this matter. At the onset the man should have been granted bail pending when the judgment be pronounced.
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by JUO(m): 12:24pm On Sep 02, 2010
another super story
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by ayoola2002(m): 1:39pm On Sep 02, 2010
Onovo pass law!!
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by Exponental(m): 2:23pm On Sep 02, 2010
tkb417:

so who will effect the arrest?
another police man or the military people

i dont see how a Policeman will go and arrest the oga patapata with all the security personnel he has

Ask TAFA BALOGUN

oyb:

Watch out for Part 2
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by violent(m): 2:24pm On Sep 02, 2010
It should be interesting to see how this will be effected!

For Onovo to be arrested, Police service commission will have to suspend him from the IG position, and a presidential order be issued to the chief of staff, which compels him to direct the sss and other security agents within the country to effect his arrest and subsequent detention.
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by kshow1(m): 3:30pm On Sep 02, 2010
Why do we like wasting time and resources ? who will go and arrest the IG ?
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by kadsil: 3:33pm On Sep 02, 2010
eayvone:

How can onebe in the cell for 11months without a hearing in court. I do not think that the law enforement and the Judiciary have done anything right in this matter. At the onset the man should have been granted bail pending when the judgment be pronounced.
you dey this country at all? or are you just coming to terms with nija home made delicacies,injustice&curruption!
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by alldone(m): 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2010
Who will effect the arrest?

may be the jugde.
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by NIKKnJAZZ(f): 5:07pm On Sep 02, 2010
Gen Gen!
WATCH OUT FOR PART 2 - Who Will Bell the Cat!
To God be the glory!

I love Nigeria's politics, it's like watching a thriller unfold in slow motion.
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by Spyker: 5:26pm On Sep 02, 2010
I am sure Onovo will appeal this one and make a mockery of the court. Let us see what happens.
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by mount1ng(m): 5:40pm On Sep 02, 2010
Which Policeman want to lose his job?
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by Tokotaya: 5:50pm On Sep 02, 2010
Political order made not because it will be enforced, but for its sheer noise value.
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by sirp2007: 6:11pm On Sep 02, 2010
he don happen ;d ;d ;d
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by murabs(m): 7:33pm On Sep 02, 2010
I dont see the possibility. im all ears/eyes
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by larryUG(m): 8:42pm On Sep 02, 2010
Exponental:

Ask TAFA BALOGUN

Watch out for Part 2

tafa balogun's case was diff. he was beefed by OBJ. in onovo's case he doesnt have any issues with GJ.
NOTHING GO HAPPEN cool
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by medjai(m): 10:02pm On Sep 02, 2010
They'll arrest him if they want to. If Tafa Balogun could be arrested, why not Onovo. I dont know why these people have no respect for the law.
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 02, 2010
oge4real:

All these jugdes sef. Looking for attention.
Exactly my opinion. . .why would a judge pass a law that can't be enforced when the IG was not even the direct offender here.this is why i dislike this so called lawyers,they are very arrogant.
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by mensdept: 10:42pm On Sep 02, 2010
Onovo Onovo, first they said you cant be IG because Goodluck wanted SS man, yet they took SS Igbo (Mike Mba Okiro)

Now they say you must go to jail, when Yerima and co are all there eating and drinking
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by Sagamite(m): 12:06am On Sep 03, 2010
larryUG:

tafa balogun's case was diff. he was beefed by OBJ. in onovo's case he doesnt have any issues with GJ.
NOTHING GO HAPPEN cool

Explain which beef Tafa had with OBJ.
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by kolaoloye(m): 10:52am On Sep 03, 2010
This is Nigeria where some people are above the law.
Why is the man,Onovo,not yet in a cell?
Re: Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo by Ajike: 11:55am On Sep 03, 2010
They will get all the boyscout, girlsguide, guguru defence to arrest him

(1) (2) (Reply)

Former Md Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud / Soldier In Forest (photo) / Why Gmb Will Win ~by Aljazeera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.