Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,011 members, 7,806,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? (3872 Views)

The Need To Employ Step Back 5 X 5 before undertaking any task in your workplace / ?interview Question: "Why Should We Employ You?" / Would Nigerians Employ A Virtual Office Assistant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by greatfiso(m): 1:24pm On Apr 26, 2007
Greetings to all Nairaland users and the graceful owner of the land.

am about to start a biz in about a week from now, and i have this lady i once worked with and who am presntly dating. though she is still working with that same company, but she desire to change for some reasons.
Remeber i've seen her work , i like her attitude to work and i know she just a staff i really want, but am emotionally involved with her!
if you where in my shoes will you employ your girl friend who seriously need to change job?
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Leadmyster(m): 1:51pm On Apr 26, 2007
I'll probably not. There may be exceptions and she may be good for the firm but trust me it would be bad for the relationship in the long run

imagine you she knows everything that happens to u at work

imagine the other workers hating on her cos she's the boss' girl

imagine how u get to see her all the time, even see others flirting with her

imagine you want to promote her and others think youre doing a "Wolfowitz" ?

Imagine if u had to fire your girl for gross misconduct
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Seun(m): 1:56pm On Apr 26, 2007
If the business is solely and 100% yours, then you will have no problems if she is a competent worker.
However, your girlfriend will have a big problem because you will sack her whenever you decide to break up.

So go ahead and hire her, since you have nothing to lose. It's up to her to accept the risky proposal or refuse it.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by elainemia(f): 2:44pm On Apr 26, 2007
@ Seun

i don't agree with you.

@Leadmyster

i agree with you a 100% cos i've been in such shoes once.i know what it cost me, no matter how nice and friendly i tried to be with my co workers i could never die the beef some of them had for me(especially the females).if one makes a mistake and you try to do some corrections, they'll be like, Hey!what makes you think i don't know what i am doing or are you the boss here or what?!
After a while, i opted out myself so that peace could reign and my boyfriend's business could move on.
My being there caused a lot of strife.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by caringchi(f): 4:25pm On Apr 26, 2007
@seun, i disagree with u. u advised him based on the fact u think he has nothing 2 lose. u are wrong there cos he has a lot 2 lose
dont forget other employees attitude 2 them especially the lady though i can see u dont care about the lady but that cannot be overlooked
pls dont risk it dear, unless she is your wife, atleast other workers will respect and appreciate her more
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by esilove(m): 4:40pm On Apr 26, 2007
hi Greatfiso my right hand man

If you confirm that she is seriously in love with you, you can go ahead to employ.
To me, i will not try it because girls of nawadays are funny in the sense that she might claim to love you while she did not.
Don't be suprise that with time when she will relent in the job you will find it difficult to sack.

Some greedy girls will want to take over this business in future.

Well, i believe you are a real man , just think about it and do what you think is right.

But don't do what you will regret in future.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by desertboom(m): 5:10pm On Apr 26, 2007
Imagine, u see her almost all the time even when u don't want her to see u,  any of the co-workers that spend much time in ur office becomes problem, u might not have the will power to correct her misconduct or even sack her, there must always be problem either between the co-workers or u.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by tasiana(m): 5:21pm On Apr 26, 2007
@ Seun
So u advocate use and dump
O ma she oo!
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Angeljay(f): 5:33pm On Apr 26, 2007
Well guys, I honestly think everyone has got a point, but it all depends on where you are coming from. Since you own the company, really what your employees say, don't really matter, 'cos most are based on jealousy and of course if she is doing a nice job for you, you don't have to risk that just to satisfy other employees.
From another point of view, you must really define the relationship before you go ahead and employ her, if you know it is going to lead no where, I think you better consider it seriously. If you intend to marry her and she desires so too, the better. All you have to do is look for an aspect she is good at and give her to manage. In doing so she won't have much interference with people from other depts. and she will try to keep up so that the company, from where she is supposedly benefiting from, will thrive. Insist on her adherance to the company's objectives, rules and also, always look into her dept. objectively, i.e without biase. This is quite difficult, which is why it is important you know this girl very well and understand her temperaments. You must also be very disciplined, else things may get out of control at the long run.
Just consider it properly and please think of what every party stands to gain, not just you as Seun advised.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Soundmind(m): 6:22pm On Apr 26, 2007
My friend,
DONT TRY IT, I did it when i opened a shop, i was transfered out of where the shop is and under one year, i closed the shop. The shop worth N450k when i opened it, in one year, the value has come down to less than 50k. The shop could not even pay for its rent again. My girlfriend was pretending she is doing well while she was not. If i querry any of her action, she get offended and we start querreling. Some of what she took from the shop was not paid for. If you do so, you will lose either of them or both in about 15 months. You may at the end lose your respect as well.
If you have initiated marriage process is a different thing but since it is a girl friend, PLS DONT
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 26, 2007
Angeljay:

Well guys, I honestly think everyone has got a point, but it all depends on where you are coming from. Since you own the company, really what your employees say, don't really matter, 'because most are based on jealousy and of course if she is doing a nice job for you, you don't have to risk that just to satisfy other employees.
From another point of view, you must really define the relationship before you go ahead and employ her, if you know it is going to lead no where, I think you better consider it seriously. If you intend to marry her and she desires so too, the better. All you have to do is look for an aspect she is good at and give her to manage. In doing so she won't have much interference with people from other depts. and she will try to keep up so that the company, from where she is supposedly benefiting from, will thrive. Insist on her adherance to the company's objectives, rules and also, always look into her dept. objectively, i.e without biase. This is quite difficult, which is why it is important you know this girl very well and understand her temperaments. You must also be very disciplined, else things may get out of control at the long run.
Just consider it properly and please think of what every party stands to gain, not just you as Seun advised.

There is only one party.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Nobody: 12:36am On Apr 27, 2007
If the man's girlfriend is a proven thief,I don't advise him to employ her if he plans on making a profit.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Damy(m): 1:16am On Apr 27, 2007
dont
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by spoilt(f): 4:23am On Apr 27, 2007
no. dont even try to go there!
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by prosper(m): 5:14am On Apr 27, 2007
I would have said get an employment contract BUT
Where the heart is no paper singed by man can hold water,

She may appear good on her current job now, BUT
you must remember the circumstances will change if she's working for you.

what's all the story about, simply don't or you'll lose her and your business.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:21am On Apr 27, 2007
think before you take an action there is a big difference between working in a private company owned by some one you got no business with except as an employee, and there is a difference working in a company owned by her BOYFRIEND. two different things,so don't expect the same result. also consider long run. undecided
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by agnesoseka: 8:43am On Apr 27, 2007
its not rily wise to employ ur girlfriend.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by jidody(m): 10:09am On Apr 27, 2007
It is okay to employ her so long as you can keep romance out of the work environment. That will demand a lot of discipline from the 2 of you. I know a married couple that run a flourishing IT firm, what amazed me with their professional conduct was that it took me a long time to know they were actually a couple.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by adeboo(f): 10:15am On Apr 27, 2007
Its never a good idea to employ people you date or family.

However if she has the experience you need and if you have worked with er before and it was lucrative, then maybe you should give it a try.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by efuah(f): 10:52am On Apr 27, 2007
[/quote][quote author=jidody link=topic=50782.msg1072994#msg1072994 date=1177664955]
It is okay to employ her so long as you can keep romance out of the work environment. That will demand a lot of discipline from the 2 of you. I know a married couple that run a flourishing IT firm, what amazed me with their professional conduct was that it took me a long time to know they were actually a couple.

that's good.
discipline and being professional is what is needed!
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by biozy(m): 12:34pm On Apr 27, 2007
of course not,well why should i hav me and my babe in the same organisation,that is room for too much much monitoring.na jealousy go ruin the organisation
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by naijafan(m): 12:48pm On Apr 27, 2007
nope
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by opuro(m): 1:05pm On Apr 27, 2007
Dpends on the size of D buisness. If she will ave to report to u directly I will say dont . Otherwise no problem.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by pisces20: 1:23pm On Apr 27, 2007
My guy it's not advisable.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by tatajega(m): 1:57pm On Apr 27, 2007
Of course yes but only under strict agreement terms, which must include termination of contract if there be any long lasting disagreement.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Umy: 2:16pm On Apr 27, 2007
I don't think is healthy for your company, find her another job if you really love her and be happy with your self & your coy wink wink
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Dynast(m): 2:34pm On Apr 27, 2007
Try it not guy
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by BlackMamba(m): 2:39pm On Apr 27, 2007
Sure, if I need a quickie in between tasks.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Beline(f): 2:51pm On Apr 27, 2007
thou shall not try it until she becometh thy wife
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by One: 3:05pm On Apr 27, 2007
Not a good idea at all.
I was once caught between my boss, the girlfriend and his angry wife. A mutual dislike existed between me and the girlfriend because she felt I had too much influence on my oga (we had worked together for more than 3 years before she came along). The wife hated me as much as the girlfriend becasue she taught I should be reporting back to her on my oga's activities and I refused. I must tell you it was a terrible time. My allegiance was with my oga even though I disagreed with what he was doing. This girl was wild. She fought most of the female staff on the slightest excuse. She had nothing really to do. My oga just created a post for her which amounted to, at most, opening and sealing letters once or twice in the morning for the whole day. The climax came when she started insulting customers (especially female). My oga's wife had to come to the office to physically chase her away. That day, I hid in the toilet to avoid the altercation. The other staffs enjoyed and supported the whole action. They had had enough of the girl. To me, the effect the scene will have or had on our business and image is what mattered.

In summary, if you want your business to go down, add your girlfriend to the staff.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by Melenge: 3:10pm On Apr 27, 2007
Please don't allow that to happen to you because it's very killing.
Re: Can You Employ Your GirlFriend? by tarfaadam(m): 3:48pm On Apr 27, 2007
Seun,
you may be right becouse the your girlfriend can be your change of making money and she can be your downful at thesame time she can generate more customers to you and she can make you rich

when it comes to busines show her is time to mean busines but dont show her that you dont love her becouse chande at a supot to destroyed your buznes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Things Every Accounting Student Should Know About Accounting Software / Please Advice, I Have #900k, What Type Of Business Should I Invest In? / For Your Cloth Designs, Wedding Gowns, Natives E.t.c

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.