Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking (3131 Views)

Reasons Why The FG Should Not Create SEDC / Multiple Accident Cause By Abuja Anti-Hawking Task Force (pics) / Do Not Create Ministry Of Northern Affair, But Cancel Ministry Of Niger Delta. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by bkbabe97y(m): 9:44pm On Sep 02, 2010
God did not create the universe, says Hawking

Buzz up!

Email
Print
By Michael Holden – Thu Sep 2, 9:08 am ET
LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.
In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.
"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."
Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes, cosmology and quantum gravity.
Since 1974, the scientist has worked on marrying the two cornerstones of modern physics -- Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which concerns gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum theory, which covers subatomic particles.
His latest comments suggest he has broken away from previous views he has expressed on religion. Previously, he wrote that the laws of physics meant it was simply not necessary to believe that God had intervened in the Big Bang.
He wrote in A Brief History , "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."
In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.
"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions -- the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.
Hawking, who is only able to speak through a computer-generated voice synthesizer, has a neuro muscular dystrophy that has progressed over the years and left him almost completely paralyzed.
He began suffering the disease in his early 20s but went on to establish himself as one of the world's leading scientific authorities, and has also made guest appearances in "Star Trek" and the cartoons "Futurama" and "The Simpsons."
Last year he announced he was stepping down as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a position once held by Newton and one he had held since 1979.
"The Grand Design" is due to go on sale next week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by slap1(m): 9:50pm On Sep 02, 2010
Ok. I've heard.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by phantom(m): 9:52pm On Sep 02, 2010
thank you
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 02, 2010
Atheist. . .i'm not surprised
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 10:18pm On Sep 02, 2010
He wants to sell his book. Godless soul
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by slap1(m): 10:21pm On Sep 02, 2010
If a Nigerian scholar had presented this we would have cursed and accused him or her of advancing some regional interests, but now we are maintaining some decorum and neutrality. Good for us!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 02, 2010
slap1:

If a Nigerian scholar had presented this we would have cursed and accused him or her of advancing some regional interests, but now we are maintaining some decorum and neutrality. Good for us!
Nigerians are mostly religious,so just few would have come up with such nonsense.anyways God has dealt with the prof already,he's paralyzed
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by AndreUweh(m): 10:31pm On Sep 02, 2010
This is just an atheist plan to undermine God. Let it keep coming, the churches are not shaken by all this revelations. Hawkins and co believes with science, religion has no role in our modern society.
How wrong they are.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 02, 2010
I don't think it's possible to undermine,he can only confuse people with his theory
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Elwins: 11:12pm On Sep 02, 2010
angryThe proffesor is just fulfilling the bible. The Holy Bible says at the last day, knowledge shall increase, and people shall come with the theory that says there is no God.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by komando1: 4:52am On Sep 03, 2010
@ OP
After 5 hours only 1 page. Dude your so irrlevant.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Afam4eva(m): 5:06am On Sep 03, 2010
satan also created hell. Hawk your silly book to hell Mr Hawkins.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by slap1(m): 5:38am On Sep 03, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Nigerians are mostly religious,so just few would have come up with such nonsense.anyways God has dealt with the prof already,he's paralyzed
I don't think God did that, too. Probably the big bang, lol.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by slap1(m): 5:43am On Sep 03, 2010
komando.:

@ OP
After 5 hours only 1 page. Dude your so irrlevant.
Are u spoiling for a cyber-war with bk/babe? Are u ready?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by bkbabe97y(m): 5:56am On Sep 03, 2010
slap1:

Are u spoiling for a cyber-war with bk/babe? Are u ready?

Lol. I retired bigger imbeci*les than this monkey! I chose to ignore him mostly cus it aint even worth it! Fool replies his ownself. . . . it'll be like slapboxing the hell outta severely, undergrown, kwashiorkored and malnourished Biafran kid; why waste the effort?!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by MandingoII(m): 6:36am On Sep 03, 2010
if there IS A GOD, then why is nigeria and 80% of africa impoverished?

besides, you mofo's just started believing in christ in the late 1800's when European missionaries introduced it to you.

Then they took your land and colonized you.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by slap1(m): 7:23am On Sep 03, 2010
^^^ what a cheap way to look for publicity. believe what you will, dude, nobody is joining issues with you!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by rasputinn(m): 7:26am On Sep 03, 2010
Prof Haw--who?

Little wonder he is the way he is
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by rasputinn(m): 7:35am On Sep 03, 2010
[img][/img]

This man really needs to be pitied,if after suffering all his life as a vegetable,never able to do anything on his own without being assisted by man or machine,he'll still lose his soul,it's a pity

Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by rasputinn(m): 7:36am On Sep 03, 2010
[img][/img]

Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Afam4eva(m): 7:39am On Sep 03, 2010
Creep. na waoo.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Jakumo(m): 7:43am On Sep 03, 2010
MandingoII:

if there IS A GOD, then why is nigeria and 80% of africa impoverished?
besides, you mofo's just started believing in christ in the late 1800's when European missionaries introduced it to you.
Then they took your land and colonized you.

Ha ha no chit.  With the sheer number of churches and mosques every ten yards in Nigeria, I'd say God already has a branch office there in the world's fraud and ritual murder capital.  With that in mind, I also wonder why there is so much squalor in God's field office.

How come God is content with Nigeria's foul open sewers, festering garbage dumps that take over streets and highways, road surfaces cratered like the surface of the moon and corpses left to rot in the African sun, all in a land inhabited by some of the most determined, imaginative and resourceful embezzlers, extortionists, bandits and career confidence tricksters one could ever have the misfortune of encountering.

I always imagined God's branch office to look more, well, heavenly, but then what the hell do I know ?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 03, 2010
rasputinn:

[img][/img]

This man really needs to be pitied,if after suffering all his life as a vegetable,never able to do anything on his own without being assisted by man or machine,he'll still lose his soul,it's a pity
Pls dnt pity the useless man
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Vindy: 8:25am On Sep 03, 2010
I dnt read tins like this, because I knw tat I'm not a product of some mistake.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by texazzpete(m): 8:43am On Sep 03, 2010
rasputinn:

Prof Haw--who?

Please don't expose your ignorance here. You and I may not agree with what he says or believes in, but Prof Hawkins is more famous that you will ever be, far more famous than even our much vaunted Wole Soyinka.

~Bluetooth:

anyways God has dealt with the prof already,he's paralyzed

Yep. just like God dealt all the good hands to people like Pastor Bimbo Odukoya and all the bad cards to atheists like Bill Gates. Oh, wait,
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by texazzpete(m): 8:46am On Sep 03, 2010
One more thing.

WHY THE HELL IS THIS IN THE POLITICS SECTION?!

Nairaland has to be the worst moderated forum i've been on.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by blinx4real(m): 9:14am On Sep 03, 2010
bk.babe97y:

God did not create the universe, says Hawking

Buzz up!

Email
Print
By Michael Holden – Thu Sep 2, 9:08 am ET
LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.
In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.
"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."
Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes, cosmology and quantum gravity.
Since 1974, the scientist has worked on marrying the two cornerstones of modern physics -- Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which concerns gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum theory, which covers subatomic particles.
His latest comments suggest he has broken away from previous views he has expressed on religion. Previously, he wrote that the laws of physics meant it was simply not necessary to believe that God had intervened in the Big Bang.
He wrote in A Brief History , "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."
In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.
"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions -- the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.
Hawking, who is only able to speak through a computer-generated voice synthesizer, has a neuro muscular dystrophy that has progressed over the years and left him almost completely paralyzed.
He began suffering the disease in his early 20s but went on to establish himself as one of the world's leading scientific authorities, and has also made guest appearances in "Star Trek" and the cartoons "Futurama" and "The Simpsons."
Last year he announced he was stepping down as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a position once held by Newton and one he had held since 1979.
"The Grand Design" is due to go on sale next week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking

Many frustrated individuals have been saying the same thing for a long time, how come its now big news just because Stephen Hawkings says so??
If Stephen Hawkings told you your mother was a frog, would that make it correct? foolishness in high places

PS: Pls move this to the religious section, ASAP
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 03, 2010
blinx4real:

Many frustrated individuals have been saying the same thing for a long time, how come its now big news just because Stephen Hawkings says so??
If Stephen Hawkings told you your mother was a frog, would that make it correct? foolishness in high places

PS: Pls move this to the religious section, ASAP
Why the noise now ? Just because someone has an opposing view to what a paralyzed doctor scientifically made up makes such person foolish ,Abeg carry your wahala comot for here jo,na me do you ?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by blinx4real(m): 9:44am On Sep 03, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Why the noise now ? Just because someone has an opposing view to what a paralyzed doctor scientifically made up makes such person foolish ,Abeg carry your wahala comot for here jo,na me do you ?

The same way I wont force my faith on anyone is the same way Mr Hawkings and the western agnostic media shouldn't force their beliefs on anyone!! Chikena!
Hawkings is making the same mistake that the Catholic church made for years by rejecting scientific facts and replacing it with their own preconcieved beliefs. A knowledgeable scientist does nto rule out any option, be it God or the auto-igniting big bang, all possibilities should be explored with sufficient open mindedness to a conclusive point.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Kx: 9:50am On Sep 03, 2010
In his condition and age, one would expect that dis fella should be getting close to his creator
instead he is busy saying thrash.
With all the scholarly accolades from physics and so, has he been able to create a living rat,let alone human being?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 03, 2010
blinx4real:

The same way I wont force my faith on anyone is the same way Mr Hawkings and the western agnostic media shouldn't force their beliefs on anyone!! Chikena!
Hawkings is making the same mistake that the Catholic church made for years by rejecting scientific facts and replacing it with their own preconcieved beliefs. A knowledgeable scientist does nto rule out any option, be it God or the auto-igniting big bang, all possibilities should be explored with sufficient open mindedness to a conclusive point.
It's not compulsory to believe in God but coming out to claim rubbish insults the intelligence of those that believe God exists and he was responsible for creating the universe and all in it.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 03, 2010
Kx:

In his condition and age, one would expect that dis fella should be getting close to his creator
instead he is busy saying thrash.
With all the scholarly accolades from physics and so, has he been able to create a living rat,let alone human being?
You dey mind him ? Charles darwin started the human issue and i think this guy should have learn from him because darwin must be living as either a virus or bacteria somewhere.what i'm expecting them to come up with is why human gets OLD and DIE.infact why do we die ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states / EFCC Pays N34.4m To Families Of Dead Officers / FEC Approves $1.3b For Construction Of Lekki Deep Sea Port

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.