Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! (2794 Views)

Exam Malpractice: See What This Lady Did To Cheat In An Exam Hall (photo) / Students Who Do These 5 Things Will Succeed Academically - INFOGRAPHIC / Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 8:16pm On Sep 05, 2010
It's interactive. What are the things you do to excel academically??

Let me give you a picture of what I mean. I am good academically (not boasting tho') and there are people I've met who are good too. For those of us who are academically 'tite', our coursemates seem to wonder if we fell from Pluto. Sometimes, they call us 'guru' , 'braindo' , 'attacker' , 'matata' and all other nicknames that depict a genius. Most times , they wonder what we do which they've not done that makes us ahead of them in class. Of course, we read, we study, we jack. Our classmates also read , they study, they jack. Yet we seem to be way ahead of them in this game called academics.

Now this is where d bomb lies.

The difference btw you and d man ahead of you lies in what he knows/does which you don't know or can't do.

Now, if you are or have ever been an academic star before<university, secondary skul> , there were things you did apart from just d general reading, which made you higher than your mates. Let's share those wonderful secrets and help d upcoming generation.

For e.g, we know you read, but how do u read. What approach did you use for various subjects? Of course, you can't use the same approach for calculus to study anatomy. How did you retain what you read faster and better? How did you wrestle marks from ur examiner on ur write-up? What were those personal examination guidelines you sticked to? Come rain or shine? Please feel free to share there info. You might change d academic life of anyone who's reading.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 2:03am On Sep 06, 2010
I start,

There's this reading style I adopted not too long ago and it has affected my grades positively. Whenever I read, I try to write down what I've read in d same manner I read it from d text. If it doesn't stick to memory, I do it in repeated patterns all over my 'rough book'. It has helped me a lot to master definitions that otherwise would seem hard.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 2:13am On Sep 06, 2010
Furthermore, I use codes to represent confusing concepts, just in case I'm asked.
I remember while I was preparing for JAMB-PHYSICS some years ago, I hardly was able to differentiate btw 'shunt' and 'multiplier'. I was confused because sometimes I'd misplace d definition of shunt for multiplier and so on. And you had to define it in terms of magnitude and manner of arrangement.
So this is what I did. I formulated 2 codes for these two 'confusing' concepts and ever since then, I haven't forgotten.
I gave LORIP <LOW RESISTANCE IN PARALLEL> to Shunt and HIRIS<HIGH RESISTANCE IN SERIES> to Multiplier.
Simple huh?
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 2:16am On Sep 06, 2010
I hope there are others too who have good ideas to share. Do well to post too. Thanks.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Eemeekaa(m): 7:30am On Sep 06, 2010
Kadata,i am very happy with this thread of urs i think this is one of those threads we want be seeing not ppl like mr okon who has taken to scamming.Well most of those ur methods r d things i also do n it has also helped me positively.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Eemeekaa(m): 7:30am On Sep 06, 2010
Kadata,i am very happy with this thread of urs i think this is one of those threads we want be seeing not ppl like mr okon who has taken to scamming.Well most of those ur methods r d things i also do n it has also helped me positively.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 9:16am On Sep 06, 2010
@Eemeekaa,
Thanks all the same. I just wish people out there are reading and are ready to contribute as well.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Nobody: 10:04am On Sep 06, 2010
Good thread. This thread will bring al together instead of ui in one section, futa in another, unilorin in this and so on. We need threads like this instead of admission thread that abounds. Kudos
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Nobody: 10:22am On Sep 06, 2010
I started studyin wen i was in primary 3. My dad made me 2 do so. I tot dey were punishing me but thank God dey did. He not only made me 2 study,he tot me a method of studyin which he himself adopted during his university days which help him seriously.The method is this: he will always form ?s for me on each topic we were tot in different subjects. I will answer those ?s and submit over weekend. I continue like this till primary6 but wen i got to sec skul, instead of him forming the ?s i do that myself. I have a daily reading time table and each day as i read my notes, i form ?s but this tym around, i answer them by closing my books and eyes and answer them off hand. If i couldn't answer any ?, I'll go back to my books and read that section again. Wen exam comes,instead of reading bulky notes, i read only the ?s i formed and tried to answer them. If i couldn't,that is wen I'll open my notes and read the portion.That is how i've been doing & it helped me,though its not easy but SELF DISCIPLINE is d key word. Since i started the method, i always find my self in d honours roll till my ss3. I told my classmates about it & dose dat follow d method became threat to me cos we were always struggling for 1st&2nd position. There are other numerous factors that help but cant say them all.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 10:37am On Sep 06, 2010
Yeah @stevetboy, that approach of forming questions for yourself is recommended for SUBJECTIVE EXAMINATIONS. I de use d method squash big time. Kudos 2 u man.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Olami099(m): 10:37am On Sep 06, 2010
Good thread,More grease to ur elbow.This ? is a general knowledge question which every N/L Will have sometin +ve to contribute.A person who wants to be successful in future must undergo dos tins u mentioned above.Mine started like this______
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 06, 2010
We're waiting
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 1:38pm On Sep 06, 2010
@Olami099
We'd love to hear ur stunts, and how you pulled them.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 5:53pm On Sep 06, 2010
There's this stunt I pulled in Mathematics during my first semester.
It's good to read ahead of time and this is my advise to newly admitted.
Now 2 d stunt : It was a sunday, and I was just flipping thru my Maths text. I was about to read Surds when I remembered that an ex-student advised me to read only two sections only. 1> rationalization. 2>square root of surdic quantities. I did just that. Meanwhile, some of my mates were busy reading Addition, subtraction, etc and every crap about surds.
One day we had a suprised Maths test. It took everyone by suprise. I did not prepare for this test, but because I heeded to someone's advise I got 90%. When d scripts was distributed, people were like 'wow!. That guy is a genius'. Hardly did they know that it was a simple advice I heeded that saved me.

Don't underestimate people's advice if you want to make it big. Especially from ur senior colleagues in skul. An advice can save ur energy, save ur time , and save ur ego.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 8:56am On Sep 07, 2010
Seems no one is following!
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by abdurrazaq(m): 9:55am On Sep 07, 2010
Nice Concept. As the poster rightly said, reading is not all that is required to excel academically. I started to study when I was preparing for My JSCE exams. Before then, I don't read, all I need to do is present in class and write notes given by the Teacher. While writing the note I read along and that is it. I rely on what I heard from the teacher in class and what I read (while writing) my notes for all my exams and it never failed me. Even If I forgot anything in an examination, all I need to do was to relax and play back the events in class in my memory when the question at hand was taught and I will get it. That's why I don't miss class for anything.

It was during my SS Class I started to take my studies seriously. All I need to do is to make sure I read and understand all I learnt earlier in the day @ night before going to bed. Quick revision before exams and I'm good to make other students look like they ain't serious cool

Glory be to GOD for his mercies 'cos I know it's not by might or tactics, it's just the blessing of GOD that can't be bought.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 07, 2010
Yeah,its neither by power nor might but by the grace of God. Putting God first also helps!
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 7:09pm On Sep 08, 2010
@steve
God de follow help. I had to dig up this thread again. But why do people find it hard to contribute in Education Section?? It's sickening!!
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 08, 2010
Thats our mentatality in Nigeria. We care only about admission but not on things that really bring wisdom. God help us sha
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 8:06pm On Sep 08, 2010
I pray so too.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by WackyJ1(m): 8:10pm On Sep 08, 2010
I love this thread its given me 3 additional methods.
1)Reading & making notes
2) Reading, forming questions yourself and answering them from your head
3) Using Codes to get confusing concepts
4) Listening to advice from those higher than you.
Kadata i got one question. The method in number seems to be cumbersome, requiring extra notes, and double the time you would have used to just read and there might not be enough time to do it for all subject courses. Any way out?
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 8:19pm On Sep 08, 2010
See, it's quite cumbersome. But there seems to be a connection between ur fingers, eyes and brain. Just can explain! It works. Don't write fast. Just slowly. Inside d exam hall, it might just replay back the way u wrote it. U can still summarize d content without repeating it d way it is. Goodluck.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Ikechukwu09(m): 8:24pm On Sep 08, 2010
@abdulrazac it seems we adopt the same method but i was actually in art class so i needed a lot of reading when i got to SS. but i think combined with the other methods one shuld be good enough for a first class in the uni.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 08, 2010
Ppl Pls dont be selfish,share yours naa! @poster maybe if the topic is kinda captivating and inviting and interesting ppl will share there xperience
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 10:20pm On Sep 08, 2010
Let's hope so.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Ozorhumphery(m): 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2010
MANY Students fail to understand that the main purpose of being in that school is to be academically wise and active, every other thing is a hobby and SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH, ,
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Nobody: 6:57am On Feb 09, 2012
Kadata:

Furthermore, I use codes to represent confusing concepts, just in case I'm asked.
I remember while I was preparing for JAMB-PHYSICS some years ago, I hardly was able to differentiate btw 'shunt' and 'multiplier'. I was confused because sometimes I'd misplace d definition of shunt for multiplier and so on. And you had to define it in terms of magnitude and manner of arrangement.
So this is what I did. I formulated 2 codes for these two 'confusing' concepts and ever since then, I haven't forgotten.
I gave LORIP <LOW RESISTANCE IN PARALLEL> to Shunt and HIRIS<HIGH RESISTANCE IN SERIES> to Multiplier.
Simple huh? 
nice
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by Kadata(m): 11:06am On Feb 09, 2012
I would never have believed that I'd see this thread again. Steve, thanks man- you did some kind of 'resurrection ritual'I would never have believed that I'd see this thread again. Steve, thanks man- you did some kind of 'resurrection ritual'
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by ortopazz(m): 3:26pm On Feb 09, 2012
Kadata seriously I do nid 2 meet u in Tusker republique dint knw ur alrdy a veteran on N.L.

D thread is dope 2.

Am kinda the read and make notes guy cos thatz my tech.b4 begining thz semestar and I hope it paiz.
Re: Edu Hack:things You Do/did To Excel Academically! by fabj1(m): 6:47pm On Aug 01, 2012
@kadata, i used 2 fink i was gud in sec sch due 2 lak of competitn in my class den, misd clases, dnt read bt come out 2nd or 3rd. Till i got in2 d uni nd i discovad i was kiddin, pls help me in cases lyk calculus, and i discova i spend most tym reading theory nd wen d questns come i'ld c places i didnt pay attentn 2. I nid help bro, jst seeing dis thread. Suggestns pls.

(1) (Reply)

Latest World Rankings : OAU Maintains Best University In Nigeria / Free Waec Past Questions - Ict Practicals - 8 Hours To Go! / OAU Flawlessly Defeated In A Mathematics Competition By A Baby University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.