Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,766 members, 7,806,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs (14760 Views)

Kachikwu Replaces Alison-Madueke As OPEC President / Buhari And Service Chiefs In Crucial Meeting / Acting Police IG, Solomon Arase, Senior To Outgoing Police Boss, Suleiman Abba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by larrylyric(m): 4:29pm On Sep 08, 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan has changed the leadership of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Police Force with the appointment of new service chiefs and an acting Inspector General of Police.

The newly appointed service chiefs are: O.O Peterin, Air Marshal, - chief of defence staff; O. A. Ihejirika, Major General, - chief of army staff; O.S Ibrahim, Rear Admiral, chief of naval staff; and M.D Umar, Air Vice Marshal, - chief of air staff.

The president has also appointed Hafiz A. Ringim as the acting Inspector General of Police, and Ita Ekpeyong as the new director general of the State Security Services (SSS).

The new appointments were contained in a statement by the special adviser to the president on media and publicity, Ima Niboro, which explained that "the appointment is with immediate effect, subject to the confirmation of the National Assembly, subject to the Armed Forces Act, section 18(cap a20 laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 2004)."

According to the statement, the president thanked the outgoing service chiefs, whose tenures it claimed "expired in August", for their outstanding stewardship, loyalty, and defence of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The president also thanked the outgoing Inspector General, Ogbonnaya Onovo, and outgoing DG SSS, Mr. A.A Gadzama, for their dedication to service of the fatherland and wished them well in their future endeavours.

Mr. Onovo has come under severe criticism over the increasing spate of kidnapping across the country, particularly in the south-east region.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5616656-146/jonathan_replaces_police_boss_and_service.csp
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 08, 2010
Long Overdue, Onovo was a total blunder, that's what happens when you put mediocrity and term it zoning
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by brilantio: 4:43pm On Sep 08, 2010
Wow!! Oustanding!!!.
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 08, 2010
uncomfirmed reports just coming in confirm that the former IGP has been kidnapped

will update as more info becomes available
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 08, 2010
about bloody time!

good riddance to fat rubbish

oya, arrest the court contempting mofo!!
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Parnassuss(m): 4:49pm On Sep 08, 2010
Hey this can't be right, i have it good authority that the new chief is an Igbo fellow, complicated name I can't remember but he is from the regular 19th course.
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by cyril10(m): 4:51pm On Sep 08, 2010
Good riddance to bad rubbish, Jonathan has finally woken up from slumber. More action please.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by untainted: 4:58pm On Sep 08, 2010
Wow, Strategic!

Parnassuss:

Hey this can't be right, i have it good authority that the new chief is an Igbo fellow, complicated name I can't remember but he is from the regular 19th course.

How do you mean please?
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by violent(m): 4:59pm On Sep 08, 2010
hehe. . .the beginning of Onovo's travails,

I have long awaited the time a corporal will say "Oga, you are under arrest for court contempt, co-operate now before i slap you o"
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Pukkah: 5:06pm On Sep 08, 2010
Onovo never really proved himself as a competent cop. We won't miss him. But was he not given a national award/honours recently?
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 08, 2010
What IBB, Buhari and co refused to give to the Ibos since the end of civil war, now GEJ has done. Iboman is the new chief of Army staff. Nigerian is really in a new era making progress and moving away from long years of decay, anarchy, sectionalism and backwardness. We say NO! to any coup plotter, military dictator or old breed politician to draw the Nation 30years backward again as president. 2011 election will be the threshold of avalanche of a new crop of leadership to help shape the country for the 21st century. Already GEJ has demonstrated he is one of such leaders the Lord has for Nigeria, a visionary, humble, sincere, non-occultic and amiable leader who from all purposes is an epitome of good governance and responsible leadership. Let's support GEJ's effort for the New Nigerian Project!
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Pukkah: 5:11pm On Sep 08, 2010
Onovo! The man who disobeyed four court injunctions to appear before a court. Is it him that will now answer to that case or the acting IG?
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by baslone: 5:15pm On Sep 08, 2010
macfarland:

What IBB, Buhari and co refused to give to the Ibos since the end of civil war, now GEJ has done. Iboman is the new chief of Army staff.

. . . .but IBB has promised the region next presidency after him!!!
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by delegiwa(m): 5:18pm On Sep 08, 2010
macfarland:

What IBB, Buhari and co refused to give to the Ibos since the end of civil war, now GEJ has done. Iboman is the new chief of Army staff. Nigerian is really in a new era making progress and moving away from long years of decay, anarchy, sectionalism and backwardness. We say NO! to any coup plotter, military dictator or old breed politician to draw the Nation 30years backward again as president. 2011 election will be the threshold of avalanche of a new crop of leadership to help shape the country for the 21st century. Already GEJ has demonstrated he is one of such leaders the Lord has for Nigeria, a visionary, humble, sincere, non-occultic and amiable leader who from all purposes is an epitome of good governance and responsible leadership. Let's support GEJ's effort for the New Nigerian Project!

Nwanne, so na because of just one post na im GEJ become dey messiah abi?  Nwanne, hapu ihe edere na motor banye na motor oh.
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by komando1: 5:26pm On Sep 08, 2010
Delegiwa na asu Igbo!
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 08, 2010
Fantastic news, especially because we'll see the back of that insufferable Arrow called Dambazau - the erstwhile Chief of Army Staff who had the idiotic effrontry to authorize the mobilization of soldiers without the knowledge or permission of the (then) Acting President! It's cheery news that an Igboman has FINALLY mounted that exalted seat. The south-east get their due, while the north retains two service chief positions and the IGP to boot. I see this as a masterstroke by GEJ in light of the ethnic politricks that would play out in the months ahead.
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 08, 2010
@Baslone,
So you are one of those IBB will fool and keep on fooling forever to think that He (IBB) is the Nigerian electorate that will decide who wins elections whereby an Iboman will be made President in 2015? Please my dear show yourself as a new generational icon that cannot be decieve by old cargo like IBB.

By the way u said he promised and my dear that was just a promised! IBB everyone know is a maradona and has the character of not keeping to promised. GEJ has given the IBO nation a position in the Army which they have never smelled since the grousome demised of Aguiyi Ironsi. Ibos should thank him for that and hope for the best in the coming days. A brea.st in the mouth, they say, is better than 10 million brea.st in bra, no matter how huge the brea.st and the ti.ts maybe!
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by delegiwa(m): 5:33pm On Sep 08, 2010
komando.:

Delegiwa na asu Igbo!

Komando na enweghi egbe, grin
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by desgiezd(m): 5:34pm On Sep 08, 2010
baslone:

. . . .but IBB has promised the region next presidency after him!!!

I feel like laughing through my anus if I only I could!

Does IBB own Nigeria?
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by ayoola2002(m): 5:35pm On Sep 08, 2010
Good news. He should be probe and detain immediately for;
1) Disobeying  
    court order,
2) Insecurity of
   the country
   during service
   and,
3) Fraud.
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by nearest(m): 5:44pm On Sep 08, 2010
This news is confusing, is it that there's no Lt General in the nigerian army that a major general is now the chief of army staff?
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Guyman02: 5:47pm On Sep 08, 2010
Strategic move by GEJ to get the support of the South East by giving them a position that all the Northern rulers refused them. IBB who refused to make any Igboman a Chief of Army Staff during his tenure is offering them 2015 Presidency. My people a bird at hand na him better pass.

Good riddance to that yansh hole Danbazau who has terrorised the people of Jos. I hope Gen Maina is also removed as GOC of Jos to give room for genuine reconcilliation among the various religious and ethnic groups in Plateau State!
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by gogo123: 5:51pm On Sep 08, 2010
babasoty:

Long Overdue, Onovo was a total blunder, that's what happens when you put mediocrity and term it zoning

IF ONOVO WAS INCOMPETENT AND ALL THAT THEN WHAT WILL YOU CALL SMITH,EHINDERO AND THE OTHER CONVICTED  CRIMINAL BALOGUN, THESE PEOPLE NNA WAO FOR UNNA, YOU ARE ALL AFTER HIM LIKE THIS BECAUSE HE IS IBO
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by reindeer: 5:53pm On Sep 08, 2010
Great news!
A position that so many competent igbo men never had finally has come to them, i think finally we will have some forward motion in the military.
I hope he will give a good account of himself and prove that the igbophobia in the military all these years were unfounded.
Long live the south-east jare!!
Now GJ has just shown he has some cojones after all. cheesy
BUt sha, he should watch his back, those dimwit nothern fatcats wont like this.
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by omojand: 5:55pm On Sep 08, 2010
Commendable, kudos to GEJ. He has my full support.

However, I still think the police force needs an outsider (or a member of the lower
ranks) to turn things around. Everyone above AIG in Nigeria is currupt. They will not
make a difference.

Bring in transformational leaders like Ribadu.
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by Felixv: 5:57pm On Sep 08, 2010
kai, wen is waziri going, she really needs a rest from all her inaction and shouting

f
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by kokoye(m): 5:58pm On Sep 08, 2010
delegiwa:

Komando na enweghi egbe, grin

wa wo Komando . . .?  odikwa come collect kondo!

grin
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by untainted: 6:02pm On Sep 08, 2010
nearest:

This news is confusing, is it that there's no Lt General in the nigerian army that a major general is now the chief of army staff?

You are a poor student of history. Maybe you need to take a look at the pattern
of promotions 'service wide' since before Obasanjo became military president at
the death of Murtala.
If you have the patience, you could go to 1966. No offence intended.
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by OAM4J: 6:02pm On Sep 08, 2010
This is a welcome development.
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by onyengbu1(m): 6:10pm On Sep 08, 2010
delegiwa:

Komando na enweghi egbe,  grin

^^^ that is quite hilarious. grin

@post, even though I have also wanted an igbo person to be an army chief, this move by GEJ is simply a move to counteract IBB's igbo-will-take-over-in-2015 rubbish.

Who even cares if an igbo man is the president. I dont know why some people desperately need that. As long as we are in charge of the economy and cash flow, others can entertain themselves with ruler-ship.  If not for anything, for sake of power balance.

Igbo person being there is not the most important thing but a good igbo person, unlike the  Onovo disgrace.
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by onyengbu1(m): 6:12pm On Sep 08, 2010
nearest:

Who is more senior a Lt. General or a Major General?
Re: Jonathan Replaces Police Boss And Service Chiefs by untainted: 6:16pm On Sep 08, 2010
onye_ngbu:

Who is more senior a Lt. General or a Major General?

Lt. General is senior Sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Court Gives Bailiff Five Days Ultimatum To Serve Subpoena On Jonathan / Defections: APC Accepting Fifth Columnists - Reno Omokri / Chris Isiguzo Thugs Hit Pregnant Journalist On Her Womb, NUJ Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.