Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

SA To Resume Zim Deportations - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / SA To Resume Zim Deportations (4044 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA / Dana Air To Resume Flight Operations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SA To Resume Zim Deportations by 14(m): 9:33am On Sep 09, 2010
SOUTH Africa says it is stopping a special dispensation granted to Zimbabweans allowing them to stay in the country even without documents.

Currently, officials are prevented from deporting or arresting undocumented Zimbabwean nationals in South Africa irrespective of their legal status under a moratorium on removals announced in April 2009.

South African government spokesman Themba Maseko said Thursday that from December 31, all Zimbabweans living in South Africa will be treated like any other foreign nationals.

"The decision seeks to ensure that all foreign nationals who reside in South Africa are documented and their presence is regularised. After December 31, all undocumented Zimbabweans will be treated like all others and their deportation will resume," Maseko said.

The decision follows a bilateral agreement between the Ministers of Home Affairs from the two countries. As part of the agreement to suspend free movement, Zimbabwe undertook to issue documents to all its undocumented nationals, Maseko said.

Where this was not possible, the Zimbabweans would be allowed to return home and fetch the necessary papers.
Zimbabweans working, conducting business or studying in South Africa would be issued with a working permit, business permit or a study permit, provided they had valid Zimbabwean documents.

"I would imagine this would also apply to those doing informal work in the country," he added.
There would be "an amnesty" for Zimbabweans who might have obtained South African identity documents fraudulently, on condition that such documents were returned to the home affairs department with immediate effect.

However, this would not mean that they would automatically qualify for regularisation, Maseko said. They would then have to apply for permits that enabled them to legally reside in South Africa.

He added: "We are saying return these [illegal] documents ,  Start making sure that you get your Zimbabwean documents and then when you've got your Zimbabwean documents, then we clarify what is your status in this country and we will then issue you with the relevant permit.

"So if you are in the country illegally and you have a job, you get a work permit. If you don't, you get deported."
There are no definitive figures on how many Zimbabweans are in South Africa, although the International Organisation for Migration estimates the figure to be between 1.5 to 2 million.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the June-to-July soccer World Cup, many Zimbabwean migrants left South Africa, fearing a new wave of attacks on foreigners competing for scarce jobs in Africa’s biggest economy which has a 25 percent unemployment rate.

A series of attacks on foreign workers from other African states killed 62 people in 2008.
The decision to resume deportations of Zimbabweans is however meeting stiff resistance from the refugee rights organisation, PASSOP, which says the move is tantamount to a death sentence.

PASSOP said in a statement that it hoped to meet with the department of home affairs to discuss its unhappiness with the plan and to ensure that the rights of Zimbabweans were protected.

"Failing which, we shall consider what actions could be taken in resistance to the return of the draconian tactics of deportation," it said.

"[These] amount to the refusal of South Africa to provide survival to vulnerable groups, essentially a death sentence."
PASSOP said its initial understanding of the moratorium had been that it was an interim solution while the government provided Zimbabwean nationals with a special exemption under the Immigration Act.

This document had, however, not been distributed or made available to Zimbabwean nationals, and refugee reception centres remained clogged.

"It has been proven that deportation does not work, as the department previously deported in excess of 140,000 people a year at a huge expense," it said. "We disagree with the belief that a sustainable solution has been met in Zimbabwe. We do not believe that the humanitarian crisis has been resolved." - Sapa
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by 14(m): 9:34am On Sep 09, 2010
Zimbabwe seeks SA credit, overdraft facility – Biti

Zimbabwe is seeking R3,25-billion in an overdraft and credit facility from South Africa, Finance Minister Tendai Biti said on Wednesday, as the country battles to reverse the effects of a decade-long political and economic crisis.

A power-sharing government set up last year by bitter rivals President Robert Mugabe and Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai has stabilised an economy ravaged by hyperinflation, which peaked at 500-billion percent in December 2008.

But the government says it needs at least $10-billion for reconstruction.

Biti told business executives in Harare that the government was looking to negotiate with South Africa's government for financial assistance after agreeing terms for a $70-million credit line with Botswana.

The government has so far failed to attract significant funds from Western donors, who are demanding more reforms before providing aid to the unity government.

"In South Africa , there are two facilities that we are negotiating; one is a line of credit of R500-million, one is a revival of an old overdraft facility of R2,75-billion," Biti said, adding that he would soon visit the country for discussions.

"We are also talking to private capital, the banks, and the general understanding is that now that the South African and Zimbabwean BIPPA (bilateral investment promotion and protection agreement) has been ratified by the South African parliament there should be movement and traction on that."

The agreement, which was signed last November, protects investments from expropriation and provides the opportunity for aggrieved investors to seek redress in international courts.

Biti said the government was still struggling to raise revenues in the recovering economy, collecting an average $140 million a month, the bulk of which went on wages for public workers.
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by erico2k2(m): 9:45am On Sep 09, 2010
This is SAD, I thought they where all Southern Africa?, dont they have same as we have in the WEST ECOWAS?
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by 14(m): 9:54am On Sep 09, 2010
erico2k2:

This is SAD, I thought they where all Southern Africa?, dont they have same as we have in the WEST ECOWAS?

This is just for security, SA's security is being compromised because there are undocumented people who are getting away in serious crime. Its dificult to trace them. And you can't just have 2 - 3 million people rouming the streets without any proper ducuments. This fuels Xenophia attacks since the resources are few. SA is spending Billions of Dollars on these people when they use public Hospitals, Schools and etc.
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by philip0906(m): 12:33pm On Sep 09, 2010
1,2:

This is just for security, SA's security is being compromised because there are undocumented people who are getting away in serious crime. Its dificult to trace them. And you can't just have 2 - 3 million people rouming the streets without any proper ducuments. This fuels Xenophia attacks since the resources are few. SA is spending Billions of Dollars on these people when they use public Hospitals, Schools and etc.
well your point would have made sense,if those south africans do not attack innocent and hard working Nigerians,who legally reside there.Infact,its not only Nigerians,including those migrant pakistanis who reside there
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 09, 2010
1,2:

typical south african.crime is crime,whether documrnted or not,whether its a foreigner or not.

more than 80% of crimes committed in SA are perpetrated by citizens of south africa.You guys portray the impression that if all foreigners leave S.A today,then the country would become paradise---there would be no need for police,prisons etc,

wishful thinking

S.A is a crime-ridden,drug-infested society(even before the fall of Apartheid when there was no foreigners) thats why it attracts the sort of foreign criminals it does .If S.A was clean,no criminal would go there
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by RSA(m): 2:44pm On Sep 09, 2010
MrPrsdent:

typical south african.crime is crime,whether documrnted or not,whether its a foreigner or not.

more than 80% of crimes committed in SA are perpetrated by citizens of south africa.You guys portray the impression that if all foreigners leave S.A today,then the country would become paradise---there would be no need for police,prisons etc,

wishful thinking

S.A is a crime-ridden,drug-infested society(even before the fall of Apartheid when there was no foreigners) thats why it attracts the sort of foreign criminals it does .If S.A was clean,no criminal would go there
Although I disagree with with your stats,but for argument sake lets say it is true that 20% of our crime is commited by foreign national,that means for every five crime incident in South Africa one is committed by a foreign national.That is high,for people who applied/begged to come to our country.

And we are not saying crime will dissapear when we have no foreigners in SA,but it will definelty decreases by big numbers,according to you atleast by 20%.we want decent people coming through our borders and ports and the goverment must document this people who arrive in the country,we should know where they stay,work and how they make their money.

I don't know the percentage in Nigeria but I doubt that 20% of your crime problems are committed by foreigners.It is a problem in South Africa,I know it is not in your country.let us  sort out our problems.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Crime-stats-show-drop-in-murders-20100909
http://www.saps.gov.za/statistics/reports/crimestats/2010/crime_stats.htm
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by snowdrops(m): 3:46pm On Sep 09, 2010
the irony is that these xenophobic sentiments is the same whereever you are in the world. Immigrants are taking our jobs, our houses, our women etc. this apparent struggle for sparse resources is most felt in the bottom end of the social ladder ie the working class and impoverished. there you find fierce competition for schools, healthcare, food, welfare, etc.

the cry of nationality and patriotism become deafening. right wing activist would capitalise on the public sentiments ie you would find political parties encouraging or turning a blind eye to immigrant bashing being voted into office. the media would be having a field day in seemingly adding petrol to fire.

same thing whereever you are in the world, from America to Europe, to Asia and Africa.

i was watching a documentary on the ivory coast since the civil war recently. they too are not left out. there is outcry that they have too many immigrants especially in the northern part, and they want them all out. there is a youth movement sponsored by the president who are fighting for the maintenance of an "Ivorian identity".

i guess its the ugly end of human nature to be scared of the unknown and fight to keep the status quo.
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by chelseabmw(m): 5:05pm On Sep 09, 2010
;d ;d ;d
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by morpheus24: 5:14am On Sep 10, 2010
snowdrops:

the irony is that these xenophobic sentiments is the same whereever you are in the world. Immigrants are taking our jobs, our houses, our women etc. this apparent struggle for sparse resources is most felt in the bottom end of the social ladder ie the working class and impoverished. there you find fierce competition for schools, healthcare, food, welfare, etc.

the cry of nationality and patriotism become deafening. right wing activist would capitalise on the public sentiments ie you would find political parties encouraging or turning a blind eye to immigrant bashing being voted into office. the media would be having a field day in seemingly adding petrol to fire.

same thing whereever you are in the world, from America to Europe, to Asia and Africa.

i was watching a documentary on the ivory coast since the civil war recently. they too are not left out. there is outcry that they have too many immigrants especially in the northern part, and they want them all out. there is a youth movement sponsored by the president who are fighting for the maintenance of an "Ivorian identity".

i guess its the ugly end of human nature to be scared of the unknown and fight to keep the status quo.
I couldn't have put it any better myself and I m not even a liberal but i see the trends. let them kick the zimz out, won't change much. The change must come from within and not without.
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by malaika(f): 8:32am On Sep 10, 2010
:/
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by malaza: 9:37am On Sep 10, 2010
I see the terms " Innocent, hard working Nigerians" is being thrown around a lot in this CB, can someone tell me what do those people do? is Selling sweets and snacks at a street corner hard working? can't they sell in their own country? or maybe you guys don't snack as mch as we do. Is begging at the trafic lights/robot hard working?
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by Nobody: 9:38am On Sep 10, 2010
malaika:

Spot on RSA! I support the government in this move. We cannot have 2-3 million people moving around undocumented, this is a recipe for disaster (especially crime & xenophobia attacks - definitely!). This should not be seen as a gov tool to victimise or deport randomly, but rather as an effort to encourage illegal immigrants to legitimise their stay. Nothing wrong with it! [b]They have all been told way in advance to approach the Dept of Home Affairs and go through the necessary process to apply for legal stay. [/b]Anyone who fails to comply should then be prepared for the consequences. That is normal anywhere in the world!

As much as majority of crime in SA is committed by South Africans, that does not mean other external factors should be ignored. It must be a holistic, multi-pronged approach and already the rewards are showing with our recent crime stats released this week.

not so easy

applying is one thing.being granted resident permits is another.though i dont support illegal immigration.
I only abhor blaming foreigners for the crime/unemployment problems in ANY country
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by Nobody: 9:42am On Sep 10, 2010
malaza:

I see the terms " Innocent, hard working Nigerians" is being thrown around a lot in this CB, can someone tell me what do those people do? is Selling sweets and snacks at a street corner hard working? can't they sell in their own country? or maybe you guys don't snack as mch as we do. Is begging at the trafic lights/robot hard working?

in my visits to S.A i havent seen Nigerians begging or selling snacks.every black foreigner in S.A doing what you dont like must not necessarily be a Nigerian.the fact that Nigeria has a huge population doesnt make everyone a Nigerian.

there is a tendency in Africa to label any black foreigner whose nationality you can't readily ascertain a 'Nigerian. its WRONG
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by malaza: 10:11am On Sep 10, 2010
MrPrsdent:

in my visits to S.A i havent seen Nigerians begging or selling snacks.every black foreigner in S.A doing what you dont like must not necessarily be a Nigerian.the fact that Nigeria has a huge population doesnt make everyone a Nigerian.

there is a tendency in Africa to label any black foreigner whose nationality you can't readily ascertain a 'Nigerian. its WRONG

Okay, thanks for that but can you please go ahead and tell what "hard work" are they putting through, the one that we lazy South Aficans can't?
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 10, 2010
malaza:

Okay, thanks for that but can you please go ahead and tell what "hard work" are they putting through, the one that we lazy South Aficans can't?

i never said S.Africans are lazy.maybe someone else.

BUT you have to admit that Nigerians are more aggressive when it comes to bettering themselves,as they grew up in a culture that says anyone can be Bill Gates.
S.Africans on the other hand are more laid back,and the difference on outlook on life,sadly plays itself out when Nigerians are in foreign lands.

especially when most of the Nigerians/foreigners that the average SAfrican comes into contact with(on the streets)  everyday,are not very educated/polished.Look at them the same way you would look at an under-educated S.African who goes to Europe trying to better himself.His behaviour/etiquette and the way he carries himself might not be generally acceptable to middle-class South Africa.

It is the same with some foreigners in your country.We dont all accept what some of them get up to,but this is the modern world with globalization at play
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by philip0906(m): 12:20pm On Sep 10, 2010
malaza:

I said so. . .South Africans r lazy(no offence intended),just d fact. . .
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by malaika(f): 12:52pm On Sep 10, 2010
:/
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by morpheus24: 12:10am On Sep 11, 2010
BURN THEIR QURAN, OOPS SORRY BURN THE ZULU DICTIONARY IN PROTEST

BOOOO!!!! TO SOUTH AFRICA
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by RSA(m): 9:40am On Sep 13, 2010
I have come to realise that South Africa is little more advance than most countries in Africa Nigeria included,and that is the reason why things are working here.

African countries have long way to go.
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by Nobody: 9:51am On Sep 13, 2010
RSA:

I have come to realise that South Africa is little more advance than most countries in Africa Nigeria included,and that is the reason why things are working here.

Say thanks to the Whites.Praise them every morning and night grin

When you land at any airport in South Africa,you wonder where you are.White faces always make up 70-80% of people you see.It is the same when you board an aircraft going to SA or within SA, When will black S.Africans wake up and start competing instead of hating on blacks from other African countries.The people who have pocketed the SA economy are whites and Asians but S.Africans think fellow Africans are their prime problems, Not so my friend
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by RSA(m): 12:25pm On Sep 13, 2010
MrPrsdent:

Say thanks to the Whites.Praise them every morning and night grin

When you land at any airport in South Africa,you wonder where you are.White faces always make up 70-80% of people you see.It is the same when you board an aircraft going to SA or within SA, When will black S.Africans wake up and start competing instead of hating on blacks from other African countries.The people who have pocketed the SA economy are whites and Asians but S.Africans think fellow Africans are their prime problems, Not so my friend

I think you last came to South Africa in the eighties my friend.I am not going to pull my self down to your 'Nigerian level' and defend your factless statement.I also went to Nigeria and all I saw there was just a big smelling slum,everyone look poor there and they all stink like skunks.Now having said that do you think my discription on Nigeria is a true reflection of your country?
Even our most poorest black people in South Africa have a much better better quality of life than your average Nigerian.You people are obssesd with South Africa being run by whites South Africans.

Do you know that almost 80 percent of the world wealth is control by ten percent of the population,South Africa is not immune to this trend,Nigeria have the same dilemma.Although the ten percent in my country is made up of mostly white people(because of our aapartheid history) there is also a significant number of black people in that bracket,but then who care if they are white or black as long as their company improve people quality of life of ordinary South Africa.
Can an average Nigerian sit here and proudly say he own oil in his land?
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 13, 2010
My friend,insults wont deviate from the facts that you guys have been pocketed by whites and Asians. FYI,i visit SA more than 6 times a year,my last visit being 2 weeks ago

The development and good life that you guys are so proud of trickle down to only few blacks.Those living in luxury in SA are non-blacks.period! SAfricans blacks have been conditioned by years of servitude to obey/worship whites.Its evident in the way you guys treat your fellow blacks Africans.

No matter what you say about Nigeria,the wealth of Nigeria is in the hands of indigenous Nigerian people.And the poorest Nigerian doesnt starve or beg for food,unlike some in your country.

Whats my point: SA blacks should direct their xenophobia on those who put them in the ghettoes/slums of SA cities to live like foreigners in their own lands.Those are whites and asians not blacks from African countries. Have a nice day bra!
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by morpheus24: 12:41am On Sep 14, 2010
@ RSA

can you admit your people have a public relations problem with other Africans
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by RSA(m): 10:59am On Sep 14, 2010
MrPrsdent:

My friend,insults wont deviate from the facts that you guys have been pocketed by whites and Asians. FYI,i visit SA more than 6 times a year,my last visit being 2 weeks ago

The development and good life that you guys are so proud of trickle down to only few blacks.Those living in luxury in SA are non-blacks.period! SAfricans blacks have been conditioned by years of servitude to obey/worship whites.Its evident in the way you guys treat your fellow blacks Africans.

No matter what you say about Nigeria,the wealth of Nigeria is in the hands of indigenous Nigerian people.And the poorest Nigerian doesnt starve or beg for food,unlike some in your country.

Whats my point: SA blacks should direct their xenophobia on those who put them in the ghettoes/slums of SA cities to live like foreigners in their own lands.Those are whites and asians not blacks from African countries. Have a nice day bra!

Jealousy tongue Work hard maybe one day your people might reach our stage.But Ifore see a civil war awaitng Nigeria,your country is three in one.That should be your concern,South Africa is not in your league.

morpheus24:

@ RSA

can you admit your people have a public relations problem with other Africans

/

Nigeria have the same issue with other Africans.Go to your neighbouring Ghana if you want prove.
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 14, 2010
RSA:

That should be your concern,South Africa is not in your league.

Of course,Nigeria is not in the league of African nations where Europeans/Asians control 90% of resources

We are in the opposite league.One you have no comprehension of
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by RSA(m): 11:25am On Sep 14, 2010
Please tell me what is it that Nigerians owns in Nigeria?
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by omobadan(m): 12:02pm On Sep 14, 2010
I don't think all these name calling will do us any good. We're doing exactly what we're fighting against. We shouldn't be this negative. Any country has the right to protect its borders. We shouldn't be applying the African sentiments to South Africa's situation. It's always a classic case when foreigners are quite obvious in a country. They're the ones that take the blame. But that shouldn't take away from the fact that South Africa needs to control its borders. Nigerians and South Africans on this forum should stop the name calling. We should be working together for one course - The survival of Africa.
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by noblegas2(m): 6:50pm On Sep 14, 2010
South Africa Seriously! D land of random killings? I wuldnt even advice my worst enemy 2 go dia.
@ RSA, If it hurts U, remove yur country away 4rm d african map! cheesy grin
& waow! I jst read ur signature now.I guess dat says it all abt wu u are!
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by snowdrops(m): 4:11pm On Sep 23, 2010
RSA:

Please tell me what is it that Nigerians owns in Nigeria?
typical minimum wage joke. Na poverty dey worry you grin grin grin
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by snowdrops(m): 4:14pm On Sep 23, 2010
RSA:

Jealousy tongue Work hard maybe one day your people might reach our stage.But Ifore see a civil war awaitng Nigeria,your country is three in one.That should be your concern,South Africa is not in your league.

Nigeria have the same issue with other Africans.Go to your neighbouring Ghana if you want prove.
Now its confirmed that you have a delusional disorder. You fail to reboot your brain each morning you wake up.
You no nothing of history, nothing of Africa's contribution and sacrifices; how you and you parents were rescued from the whitemans torture whip.

Had the rest of black Africa not intervened you guys would be rotting in the gas chambers as we speak.

Go hit your head against the wall maybe it would correct your amnesia.
Re: SA To Resume Zim Deportations by snowdrops(m): 4:20pm On Sep 23, 2010
RSA:

You must feel so good in your little world with statements like this. You think it would give you extra space under your masters, the whitemans, table as you scramble for bread. You and your children will forever remain second class citizens in your country. How sad that must be. At least the rest of Africa will suffer no discrimination in their home land because of the colour of their skin.
If i were you i would tie a rope round my neck and swing from one of the dilapidating bridges in Soweto.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toshmann's Recent Trip To Cleveland (pictures) / Advice For Visiting Nigeria After 15 Years / Meet The Only Survivor From The Ghastly Accident That Killed 17 People..(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.