Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,878 members, 7,802,831 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then (22059 Views)

If All Our Parents Used To Take First Position, Who Takes The Other Positions? / Lies We Have Told Our Parents / Nice Vs Rugged Man, Who Was Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Ranoscky(m): 4:37pm On Sep 21, 2010
kokoye:

I remember when I passed my common entrance exam back in the 80s
shocked shocked shocked

'80s .?.?.?.?.?.? shocked. . .WONDERFUL !!!!!

I stil dey drink breasteminus dat tym! undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 4:41pm On Sep 21, 2010
I had open and liberal parents! Lucky me smiley
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2010
jay bee:

^^
Your dad a teacher/lecturer?

My dad was once a lecturer before he started working at a bank.

mydreamz:

when me and my dad are argueing about something, though he is wrong, am suppose to keep quiet for him, cos elders are always right.
and if i push it too much, i get the whip,

kmt

Argue with my dad Yeparipa, thats probably the end of your life.

Even when my dad is talking, Your hands must be beside you and you must never meet his gaze, Meaning you must always look down like you are taking orders from a Military man. and you must respond Yes dad or Yes sir!!!

Any deviation from these rules can land you a quick slap.

One day I ran away from school to watch Africa 95 Nigeria vs Mali. I wasnt expecting to meet my dad at home but I did, He came back from work early. He discovered that i ran home for the match and made me back the TV reading my books while the game was on. Any attempt to turn my neck to catch a glimpse na straight slap

1 Like

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2010
Here's hoping no one will raise their kids in this manner, surely everyone has grown up now, and can see their way wasn't necessarily the best way. I'm sure if they knew another way they'd have parented differently.

Here's hoping for more open and extremely parenting smiley
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by kokoye(m): 4:48pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ranoscky:

shocked shocked shocked

'80s .?.?.?.?.?.? shocked. . .WONDERFUL !!!!!

I stil dey drink breasteminus dat tym! undecided

1983 to be specific. yea
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by jaybee3(m): 4:50pm On Sep 21, 2010
@DK
That wasn't hard to figure out. It's always a competition with learned parents. One must outdo them or else one is tagged as simply not good enough.
I am sure you had be ripping the positives right about now.  tongue tongue

Chei you went through a lot oh. LMAO to the backing the TV and reading whilst the match is still on.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Orilee9ice(m): 4:51pm On Sep 21, 2010
, another thing back then was them going to IJEBU for one occasion or the other, they usually go on a Friday evening and come back on Sunday morning, i rememebr this particular party we were supposed to go to right in front of our house but b'cos they were travelling we didnt bother telling him about it, as if he knew, What did he do, he left my mum back in Ijebu and came home just as we were dressing up to go to the party, can u imagine  all dressed up to parteeeeeeeee, the whole house smelling of his aftershave.and to crown it all went and sat outside on the balcony all night, looking at the house party in front of us, probably saying, let me see how these kids will pass me and go to that party, needless to say we didnt go anywhere that night, were forced to enjoy the music and fun of the party which we could hear loud and clear, from our bedroom, it wasnt funny Man!, and we had invited so many of our college friends to the party as well, (we laugh about it now!)
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by jerryice(m): 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2010
Used to be a passer by,

But this i must comment on.

my dad takes alcoholic alot,  was a very painful  and sad experience with him,

thats why am scared of taking anything alcoholic or too strong for me.

hehe grin grin grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bawomolo(m): 5:02pm On Sep 21, 2010
And oh, they never talked about se.x education in my house. Never ever. Infact, that word doesnt exist. That's totally wrong!

the topic of sex is forbidding in most nigerian homes.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Ranoscky(m): 5:03pm On Sep 21, 2010
If my Dad venture come's back home before me or any of my siblings ehn, undecided . . shege damburu ba!

Infact, let me put it dis way, if my fada com's back b4 any of us, my Mum & Dad must have a quarell that night, b'cos. . .

My Mum can never sit down and watch my dad beat that person 'MERCILESSLY'
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 5:04pm On Sep 21, 2010
jay bee:

@DK
That wasn't hard to figure out. It's always a competition with learned parents. One must outdo them or else one is tagged as simply not good enough.
I am sure you had be ripping the positives right about now.  tongue tongue

Chei you went through a lot oh. LMAO to the backing the TV and reading whilst the match is still on.

It was harder for me because I was the first born and a boy. My dad concentrated on me. A lot of things i couldnt get away with My bro(the last born 9yrs younger got away with)

E.g I went home sometime and i saw my brother in high school using chain to school. I was like did my dad see this on your neck? he said He doesnt care.

You know the kind of pressure usually on first born and sons. Its like a mantra in Yoruba land that your first born must be the best and a model.

I know one woman whose first child was kind of useless, The woman would lament everyday, pray endlessly in church that "How can the first fruit of my womb turn out this way"

She made it sound like she would have cared that much if it was any other of her kids as long as it wasnt her first born.

Summarily, I grew up in a Garrison
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 5:05pm On Sep 21, 2010
bawomolo:

the topic of sex is forbidding in most nigerian homes.

You are not even allowed to call their names. You can only say Male organ or female organ Not even their biological names
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bawomolo(m): 5:05pm On Sep 21, 2010
^^^

damn you lived a tough life. lets get dayo a e-hug. so that's where your agbero energy on the arsenal thread come from  grin

would you raise your kids differently?

1 Like

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bawomolo(m): 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2010
jerryice:

Used to be a passer by,

But this i must comment on.

my dad takes alcoholic alot,   was a very painful  and sad experience with him,

thats why am scared of taking anything alcoholic or too strong for me.

hehe grin grin grin

my pops used to be one until the diabetes and heart disease kicked in.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by jaybee3(m): 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2010
bawomolo:

^^^

damn you lived a tough life. lets get dayo a e-hug. so that's why your agbero energy on the arsenal thread come from  grin

would you raise your kids differently?
Very good question.
Discipline is needed IMO but excess should be checked at all times
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by TYTAN(m): 5:09pm On Sep 21, 2010
When you start having your own kids , you will surely understand why your parents did what they had to do back then. Dad and Mum you are the greatest
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bawomolo(m): 5:10pm On Sep 21, 2010
TYTAN:

When you start having your own kids , you will surely understand why your parents did what they had to do back then. Dad and Mum you are the greatest

the point of this thread is no one is perfect. nothing wrong is learning from your parent's mistakes.

1 Like

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Orilee9ice(m): 5:11pm On Sep 21, 2010
Summarily, I grew up in a Garrison
@ DK no wonder, abajoooooooooh!, i can understand u now, eyaaaaaaaaa! hence all your "ipata outbursts" on some threads on NL, ashee u went thro all this when u were going up cheesy cheesy cheesy, and i thot my dad was strict, but in my case , we soon tamed him!, WE WERE ALWAYS ONE STEP AHEAD OF HIM,
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 5:11pm On Sep 21, 2010
One thing is I would discipline my kids, But I dont think I can ever beat/flog.

Even my younger ones they cant remember the last time I beat anyone of them,

I remember in 1991 around the CENSUS time, My sister made me angry and I threw a live chicken at her.Trust her she cried till my dad came back home and I was beaten for it
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 5:15pm On Sep 21, 2010
Orilee9ice:

@ DK no wonder, abajoooooooooh!, i can understand u now, eyaaaaaaaaa! hence all your "ipata outbursts" on some threads on NL, ashee u went thro all this when u were going up cheesy cheesy cheesy, and i thot my dad was strict, but in my case , we soon tamed him!, WE WERE ALWAYS ONE STEP AHEAD OF HIM,

I was the main focus cos 2 girls followed me and they were meek, My bro was 9yrs younger and was a baby while I was growing up.

I was the rebel in the house. and my dad was up to the task. That was the main reason I never chose UNILAG or UI cos I wont like my parents just strolling into my hostel room to embarrass me.

And my mom she no dey fear to enter anywhere
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by spikedcylinder: 5:16pm On Sep 21, 2010
dayokanu:

One thing is I would discipline my kids, But I dont think I can ever beat/flog.

Even my younger ones they cant remember the last time I beat anyone of them,

I remember in 1991 around the CENSUS time, My sister made me angry and I threw a live chicken at her.Trust her she cried till my dad came back home and I was beaten for it

LWKMD!!!! grin
What was the chicken supposed to do? Peck her ears off? grin grin cheesy
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 21, 2010
Dad: Who is that?

Me: My friend . . .

Dad: What? In my house? what do you know the word 'friend' means?

Me: *looking totally confused*

Dad: I asked you a question . . . what do you know about friendship?

Me: But dad, she's my friend in school . .

Dad: And so what? Your friendship should end is school oh, I don't want her in my house, do you hear me (shouting), I dont want her in my house! Infact tell her your daddy said he doesn't want her to be your friend! Do you hear me? When you grow up, you can start making friends . . Infact, tell her to go homw now!

Me: But dad I'm 15, can't I . .

Dad: My friend shut up! I said, NO FRIENDS and that's final!

Me:  cry  cry  cry  cry

I dont know sha, but for some reason, having friends was a no-no for us when we where growing up. No wonder I always pick the wrong friends now!  undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 21, 2010
kokoye:

1983 to be specific. yea

You wrote common entrance in 1983? Wow! undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bawomolo(m): 5:21pm On Sep 21, 2010
no wonder this board has an hostile feel.

naija sure grooms anti-social people  grin

lol@attacking someone with a live chicken
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by spikedcylinder: 5:23pm On Sep 21, 2010
bawomolo:

lol@attacking someone with a live chicken

I fear too. grin grin grin grin
But then again, Dayo is not well and everyone knows that. grin grin cheesy
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 5:25pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ujujoan:

Dad: Who is that?

Me: My friend . . .

Dad: What? In my house? what do you know the word 'friend' means?

Me: *looking totally confused*

Dad: I asked you a question . . . what do you know about friendship?

Me: But dad, she's my friend in school . .

Dad: And so what? Your friendship should end is school oh, I don't want her in my house, do you hear me (shouting), I dont want her in my house! Infact tell her your daddy said he doesn't want her to be your friend! Do you hear me? When you grow up, you can start making friends . . Infact, tell her to go homw now!

Me: But dad I'm 15, can't I . .

Dad: My friend shut up! I said, NO FRIENDS and that's final!

Me:  cry  cry  cry  cry

I dont know sha, but for some reason, having friends was a no-no for us when we where growing up. No wonder I always pick the wrong friends now!  undecided

Sorry to hear that. Did they ever give a reason for this action. Wonder if it is possible to ask them today?
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 21, 2010
dayokanu:

You are not even allowed to call their names. You can only say Male organ or female organ Not even their biological names

grin grin grin

@topic
Putting the fear of 'herself' in me. grin Won't correct you without being insultive and making you look silly. I remember a scenario like this, mum says Stilly get me my bag. You go to her room and you find a thousand handbags there, you begin to ask yourself which bag is it? You begin to fight with your mind whether you should ask her or not, because with asking her you would get something like 'are you crazy'? Didn't you see the handbag I use more often than the rest? This is somebody that has carried like 5 handbags in a week.  undecided God help you, you bring the wrong one. undecided

My dad was more reasonable and doesn't need anger management classes. grin kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 5:26pm On Sep 21, 2010
spikedcylinder:

LWKMD!!!! grin
What was the chicken supposed to do? Peck her ears off? grin grin cheesy

My sister would scream at anything, even cockroach, if she sees a roach in the room she wont sleep there.

She cant even touch a chicken unless its frozen. When we kill chicken she can remove the feathers or cut into pieces until its in the fridge
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 21, 2010
I always take my tea with a lot of sugar,
I remember mom was talking about my excessive intake of sugar this particular day while we were all having our breakfast of bread and tea
when my stupid mouth just bursted out "THE ONLY SUGAR IN MY TEA" And I was just 8yr old
I dint know what made me say that, but bhoy dint I get thrashed. "OUCH"

1 Like

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by jerryice(m): 5:29pm On Sep 21, 2010
yea @ bawomolo    diabetes  kicked in too. that why he had to stop,
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 5:29pm On Sep 21, 2010
Man, there were some angry parents! Child protection services would have visited so many families , and taken the kids away.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by spikedcylinder: 5:30pm On Sep 21, 2010
dayokanu:

My sister would scream at anything, even cockroach, if she sees a roach in the room she wont sleep there.

She cant even touch a chicken unless its frozen. When we kill chicken she can remove the feathers or cut into pieces until its in the fridge

I was sacred of everything then too. Till now sef, all living animals scare the bejezuz outta me but I can't imagine my then very naughty brother throwing a live bird at me.
We will kill ourselves dia that day. grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

What Lessons Have You Learnt In 2020? / Man Narrates What Happened After He Was Wrongly Accused At A Bus Stop (Vid) / Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.