Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,786 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? (7640 Views)

15 Funny Childhood Nostalgic Photos That Will Make You Feel Old. / How Do You Feel When Your Husband Spends Most Of His Time Glued To His Phone? / Polygamy: Men: How Do You Tell Your Wife,you've Gotten A New Wife. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 11, 2010
Do daughters cause divorces?

Married couples raising girls are more likely to split up than those raising boys. What's the explanation?
posted on September 10, 2010, at 1:45 PM

There are new theories as to why couples with daughters are more likely to divorce.

There are new theories as to why couples with daughters are more likely to divorce. Photo: Corbis SEE ALL 99 PHOTOS

Economists noticed in 2003 that married couples with daughters have a greater chance of getting divorced than those with sons. And among pregnant unmarried couples, those having boys are more likely to tie the knot. For years, researchers assumed boys made marriages last, but a new theory flips that around: What if daughters are better at breaking up bad marriages? Here's a guide to the puzzling daughter-divorce conundrum:

What are the numbers?
Eonomists Gordon Dahl (University of Rochester) and Enrico Moretti (UCLA) analyzed three million U.S. birth and marriage records, and found that married couples with one daughter are almost 5 percent more likely to split up, versus those with one son. And the effect grew more pronounced with more offspring: parents of three girls are about 10 percent more likely to divorce than those with three boys. The numbers were even starker in other countries.

How did the researchers explain it?
The (male) economists focused on why boys might be an asset to marriages. Some of the theories, as laid out by Steven Landsburg in Slate: Men value sons more and are therefore more likely to stick around (or commit to sticking around) with a boy in the house; sons are more apt to fall apart emotionally when a father leaves, preventing him from doing so; or parents are held together by the belief that a boy needs a male role model in the house. "If you want to stay married," Landsburg concludes, "three of the most ominous words you'll ever hear are 'It's a girl.'"

http://theweek.com/article/index/206949/do-daughters-cause-divorces

Why do men (mostly nigerian men) dont really feel glad when they give birth to a girl?
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by Sissy3(f): 10:06am On Sep 11, 2010
BS

how do daughters "cause" divorces?

very useless claim and useless punk azz "researchers". shior

whats next? parents with boys are more likely to have a heart attack?
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by zayhal(f): 11:56am On Sep 11, 2010
The post is just nonsensical.

And who told you men aren't happy to have female children? You live in the past, man.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by tpiah: 8:57pm On Sep 11, 2010
mel gibson- 6 sons, 1 daughter. Divorced.

Clinton- 1 daughter.

George Bush- 2 daughters

Obama- 2 daughters.

I guess this is the poster's main point:

Why do men (mostly nigerian men) dont really feel glad when they give birth to a girl?
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by honeric01(m): 9:55pm On Sep 11, 2010
^^^^

And you failed to list single homes with daughters in that same O' le America?

well, i don't believe in any research, things like this have to do with the individual.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by peacettw: 11:35pm On Sep 11, 2010
Well, there might be some truth in it. Just been realistic.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by Sissy3(f): 12:46am On Sep 12, 2010
peacettw:

Well, there might be some truth in it. Just been realistic.

and we are drying to hear how so?
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by Nobody: 12:49am On Sep 12, 2010
that's odd considering i would be just fine with 3 daughters. I know a few guys like that too. This is the 21st century, we now know women could be just as successful as boys too.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by tpiah: 2:58am On Sep 12, 2010
honeric01:

^^^^

And you failed to list single homes with daughters in that same O' le America?

and you've never heard of single homes with sons anywhere?

you people should emancipate your minds, seriously.

My point is the OP is WRONG.

period.

unless he's talking about nigeria.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by honeric01(m): 9:34am On Sep 12, 2010
tpiah:

and you've never heard of single homes with sons anywhere?

you people should emancipate your minds, seriously.

My point is the OP is WRONG.

period.

unless he's talking about nigeria.

And you didn't read where i included the individual part abi? i am not here for any gender war, it could be true, there's nothing in this world that is wrong, it could be wrong to you but right to others.

All the same, it's an individual thing, if you are not meant to be with your partner, it just won't happen even if you give birth to 100 sons or 200 daughters.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by whiteroses(f): 4:25pm On Sep 13, 2010
what do we have here another bored researchers seeking attention to validate their organization perhaps? wake me up when they are over tongue
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 13, 2010
I think the articles explanation meaning that boys are assets might be wrong. Remember the famous oedipus complex, Fathers are actually known to be much closer to their daughters, than their sons. Inspite of all the male ego lineage boasts.I know am much much closer to my mother than my pop. Its only the african iheritance system that places value on males, if not for that, daughters will always have the upper hand in families, most of which are headed by the fathers.

On the other hand such relationship can easily drive a wedge between the husband and the wife as the husband tends to give preference to the daughter even over the mother. If not well managed, one may end up with a family in two camps. Fathers and daughters vs mothers and sons. The wife is the person very likely to react to the daughter taking over her position as the husband will already be used to such loss of position.

Women usually shift a huge chunk of the attention men use to get to the children once they start giving birth. So the Oedipus thing will only be a second time the man is finding himself loosing the usual attention.

JUST MY THEORY, DO NOT TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY!
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by Abrantie: 4:43pm On Sep 13, 2010
They are talking about divorce in Western countries. This doesn't apply to Africans.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by r231(m): 4:52pm On Sep 13, 2010
Abrantie:

They are talking about divorce in Western countries. This doesn't apply to Africans.
hehehehe grin grin cheesy
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by tpiah: 4:53pm On Sep 13, 2010
honeric01:

And you didn't read where i included the individual part abi? i am not here for any gender war, it could be true, there's nothing in this world that is wrong, it could be wrong to you but right to others.

All the same, it's an individual thing, if you are not meant to be with your partner, it just won't happen even if you give birth to 100 sons or 200 daughters.

so are you afraid to address the op?
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by GeorgeD1(m): 4:57pm On Sep 13, 2010
this allegation is unfounded.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 13, 2010
The Researcher is right. When a man remembers he has a son he is likely to stick around, cuz in his subconciousness he knows this small man can become an headache tomorrow if he dares mess his mother up or blunt to his responsibilities needed of him as a father.

Finally men don't play with sons, cuz they carry their family names from generation to generation.

Don't ever compare a man to a woman, women were made solely because there was a man!
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by tpiah: 5:00pm On Sep 13, 2010
Ranks007:

The Researcher is right.

^^IN NIGERIA you mean.

stop acting like an illiterate.

its annoying.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 13, 2010
tpiah:

^^IN NIGERIA you mean.

stop acting like an illiterate.

its annoying.

Worldwide, grin

its annoying.

It's life
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by dayokanu(m): 5:22pm On Sep 13, 2010
I am glad this research was done by western researchers with Western men used as case studies.

If it were to be a Nigerian based observation the women folks among us would have labelled Naija men as something else.

While growing up In Nigeria, the culture kind of values male child more, They are of the opinion that the male child keeps the family name, While the female get married and leave.

I knew a man who kept pumping his wife just to have male kids, they ended up with 7 daughters and no son, The only time he had boys they died at 2yrs and the other at childbirth.

Sex of the child has been a reason for many breakups in Nigerian families

This study now shows that Foreign men now think the same thing. Maybe this would change as women are now showing they can be very important economically in the west atimes more than the men
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by marcus1234: 5:36pm On Sep 13, 2010
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by snowdrops(m): 5:38pm On Sep 13, 2010
tpiah:

mel gibson- 6 sons, 1 daughter. Divorced.

Clinton- 1 daughter.

George Bush- 2 daughters

Obama- 2 daughters.

the study concluded that married couples with dauthers are more likely to divorce, not all married couples with daughters will divorce. its obvious that you never read the article article properly before commenting.

if this research were to be done in nigeria i wont be surprised if it produced similar if not more significant results.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by tpiah: 5:39pm On Sep 13, 2010
dayokanu:

I am glad this research was done by western researchers with Western men used as case studies.

If it were to be a Nigerian based observation the women folks among us would have labelled Naija men as something else.

While growing up In Nigeria, the culture kind of values male child more, They are of the opinion that the male child keeps the family name, While the female get married and leave.

I knew a man who kept pumping his wife just to have male kids, they ended up with 7 daughters and no son, The only time he had boys they died at 2yrs and the other at childbirth.

Sex of the child has been a reason for many breakups in Nigerian families

This study now shows that Foreign men now think the same thing. Maybe this would change as women are now showing they can be very important economically in the west atimes more than the men

^^

So just because someone posts some jargon of questionable origin you must swallow it hook line and sinker because the authors seem to be white?

wonders will never cease.

abeg, if you're a nigerian man worried about having daughters, just say so.  Not like it's a secret for goodness sake?

everybody knows african men see females as second class citizens?
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by tpiah: 5:40pm On Sep 13, 2010
snowdrops:

did the study sat all married couple with daughters divorce. its obvious that you never read the article before jumping to post bs.

if this research were to be done in nigeria i wont be surprised if it produced similar if not more significant results.

and your point's supposed to be?

your own bullsh!t thinks having sons is an automatic guarantee a couple wont divorce?

ode ni e.

gosh!! you people reason like illiterates.

just face the nigerian situation and quit thinking everyone shares your mindset!
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by tpiah: 5:44pm On Sep 13, 2010
na so una dey bring curse on una selves with all this anti-black women balderdash.

why is common sense so uncommon?

abi is this an offshoot of you know what aka dan dauda movement.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by snowdrops(m): 5:45pm On Sep 13, 2010
tpiah:

and your point's supposed to be?

your bullsh!t thinks having sons is an automatic guarantee a couple wont divorce?

ode ni e.
look here tpiah,

please read the article again before commenting. the researchers followed up 3 million cohorts. that is a huge sample size, and if you normally read medical journals at all it tells you it gives the study good power and reduces the chances of type 2 error.
these people were followed up in time, and they drew conclusion that there is a significant probability that having female children than male children with divorce rate.

by no means can we conclude that it applies to all marriages with daughters, but it is an interesting conclusion.

i am sure the researchers would have controlled for what we call confounders, those are factors that can make it look like daughters in families lead to divorce but whereas they are actually the reasons.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by sulad82i(m): 5:54pm On Sep 13, 2010
tpiah:

[size=15pt]mel gibson- 6 sons, 1 daughter. Divorced[/size]. grin grin grin
LMFAO at this comment

Clinton- 1 daughter.

George Bush- 2 daughters

Obama- 2 daughters.

Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by toosoon(m): 5:57pm On Sep 13, 2010
It even leads to having multiple spouses especially in Royal homesundecided
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by tpiah: 5:59pm On Sep 13, 2010
snowdrops:

look here tpiah,

please read the article again before commenting. the researchers followed up 3 million cohorts. that is a huge sample size, and if you normally read medical journals at all it tells you it gives the study good power and reduces the chances of type 2 error.
these people were followed up in time, and they drew conclusion that there is a significant probability that having female children than male children with divorce rate.

by no means can we conclude that it applies to all marriages with daughters, but it is an interesting conclusion.

i am sure the researchers would have controlled for what we call confounders, those are factors that can make it look like daughters in families lead to divorce but whereas they are actually the reasons.

^^on the contrary, YOU need to read the article in full instead of the short misleading excerpt the op posted.

check the last paragraph.
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by georgee(m): 6:08pm On Sep 13, 2010
Been praying to GOD to have a baby girl when my fiancee and i finally get married, i dont really wanna have a boy, they are troublesome wink
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by snowdrops(m): 6:28pm On Sep 13, 2010
tpiah:

^^on the contrary, YOU need to read the article in full instead of the short misleading excerpt the op posted.

check the last paragraph.
i have read the article, have even gone through the various links. On closer check it looks like a case control study.
And what about the last paragraph?
Re: Men How Do You Feel When You Hear "it's A Girl"? by dayokanu(m): 6:34pm On Sep 13, 2010
tpiah:

^^
So just because someone posts some jargon of questionable origin you must swallow it hook line and sinker because the authors seem to be white?
everybody knows african men see females as second class citizens?

What about Western men that the survey was all about? Did you question that the survey took place at all or that the researchers are Nigerian men disguising as Whites?

tpiah:

just face the nigerian situation and quit thinking everyone shares your mindset!

But the result of the survey seems to suggest that other races share the African man mindset.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

View This Elegant 3 Bedroom Bungalow Architectural Design/building Plan / Should A Working Couple Split The Bills? / Baby Crying At Birth. WHY?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.