Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,209 members, 7,807,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice (11566 Views)

Shop For Slighty Damaged/repaired Cars From The US / Just Changed My Engine And Its Overheating / I Want To Buy Faulty Or Damaged Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 7:52pm On Sep 12, 2010
I was on my way to lagos xteday on top speed on the last bridge before berger in lagos when suddenly i noticed a cracking sound from the engine, lower the radio and observe it without any light on the dash board, i parked to check what was wrong but couldnt find any, the oil was ok cos i did normal morning checking before i left ijebu ode. I called up my mechanic and he adviced i check the oils and possible leaks but found none. He adviced i managed it to his workshop but i will be a mad man to drive a car with such grounding noise so i had it towed.

He hasnt checked it yet , till monday but the car starts normally, all gear control works fine but with grinding noise, he told me it might be the metal by the crankshaft in one the piston end have fallen off thereby grinding the crankshaft. He is suggesting i get prepared to change the crankshaft and the metals.

What do u think, just an advice to know where to start from when he eventually start working on the car tommorow.

Want to have a simple knowledge of the procedure, Dont want a try and error thing.

TOYOTA CAMRY 1999 V6
NEVER OPEN THE ENGINE BEFORE SINCE BOUGHT 2005.
SERVICED REGULARLY AT 3000 MILES WITH NEW FILTER
HAS 89000+ ON THE mILLEAGE 10,000 OF WHICH WAS BETWEEN JAN TILL DATE.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by 9ijaMan: 8:23pm On Sep 12, 2010
Prep urself for the worst. You may need to change ur entire engine, !
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 12, 2010
When you say "grinding sound", is it more like a rattle, or knocking? Does the oil pressure lamp illuminate with the ignition on, but engine not running?
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by cosemiha(m): 9:00pm On Sep 12, 2010
the mechanic is just right on point, the crankshaft is worn and its metals have to be changed, if the mechanic is good, you dont have anything to worry bout, but if not competent, thats the beginning of your woes, however, its not too bad of a problem,

1 Like

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 12, 2010
If the crankshaft has ground into the main bearings, replacing just the bearings won't be of any use - the crank will most likely have to be reground, which means the metal bearing shells will need to be replaced with the appropriate over-size items.

As the oil has been changed well within the specified intervals, you'll need to find out what caused bearing failure, before just slapping in a new set, else the same problem will occur. I however suspect oil pump failure as the culprit. Surprised your oil lamp didn't illuminate though, unless you didn't notice? Or the bulb / oil pressure switch are faulty?

1 Like

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 1:27am On Sep 13, 2010
@9ijaMan,
Prepare for the worst?, thanks for the comment but re u suprised to know that i am not scared.

@Siena,
its more like a rattle noise, the oil light is not coming on but the engine is still runing as at the last switch but with the attending noise.The oil lamp like the seat belt usually comes up at start of the car but goes off thereafter, i will want to reason with you on the oil pump issue, to be sincere the speed was sudden and wouldnt like to state the exact speed level to avoid comments capable of derailing the thread. Regrounding the Crankshaft?, pls enlighten me on that and how its applicable  to camry 1999 v6 engine. THE BASIC PROBLEM I HAVE WITH OUR MECHANICS IS THAT THEY HARDLY TELL YOU THE POSSIBLE CAUSE LIKE U HAVE ADVICED RATHER THEY KEEP TELLING YOU THE PROBLEM.Thats why i spend time reaserching abt my car online with guys like you to gain more and thereafter adviced him on what to  do. My reason for  staying with him is that he listens, knowing fully well that i research car faults on the internet.

@c_osemiha,
c_osemiha:

the mechanic is just right on point, the crankshaft is worn and its metals have to be changed, if the mechanic is good, you dont have anything to worry bout, but if not competent, thats the beginning of your woes, however, its not too bad of a problem,
woes?, dont think so. Its a mechanical  device and has nothing to do with life,na me buy am no be the car buy me: just a tip of what God has done for me, just that i love the speed of the v6 engine thats why its my travel choice from other cars that i have. cool

The mechanic said the metal might fall off into the oil sump, which might safe some stuffs in there, Dont know what he meant by that.

1 Like

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by KunleA2(m): 5:07am On Sep 13, 2010
The ajagbalura's. grin

Holla.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 13, 2010
seal777:

@Siena,
its more like a rattle noise, the oil light is not coming on but the engine is still runing as at the last switch but with the attending noise.The oil lamp like the seat belt usually comes up at start of the car but goes off thereafter, i will want to reason with you on the oil pump issue, to be sincere the speed was sudden and wouldnt like to state the exact speed level to avoid comments capable of derailing the thread. Regrounding the Crankshaft?, pls enlighten me on that and how its applicable  to camry 1999 v6 engine. THE BASIC PROBLEM I HAVE WITH OUR MECHANICS IS THAT THEY HARDLY TELL YOU THE POSSIBLE CAUSE LIKE U HAVE ADVICED RATHER THEY KEEP TELLING YOU THE PROBLEM.Thats why i spend time reaserching abt my car online with guys like you to gain more and thereafter adviced him on what to  do. My reason for  staying with him is that he listens, knowing fully well that i research car faults on the internet.

Now this rattle - if it gets quieter under load, and worse at low to idle speeds, then the big-end metal bearings are shot. These are the bearings that link the crank to the piston connecting rods.

If the rattle gets worse under load, but quieter at low to idle speeds, then it's the crank main bearings that are worn. These are the bearings that the crank physically runs in, that span the length of the block (from crank pulley to flywheel / flexi plate).

Either way, the crank will need to be reground, at the affected bearings (main or connecting rods). Once bearings fail, they get scored / worn, and in turn, the section of the crank in contack with them, will get scored / worn too. To get the crank smooth once more, it goes through a process, regrinding / machining. This will restore the polished, smooth bearing surfaces / journals. However, it means the journals will now be smaller than they originally were, so the metal bearings of the original size can't be used. Over-size metal bearings will have to be utilized.

This is applicable to pretty much every engine out there. It's worth noting though, that a regrind can't be carried out more than twice. If the crank's been reground twice in the past, that's it. Going any smaller will make the crank less durable, which means the engine will be more likely to self destruct at high loads and / or RPM. Moreover, you can't get 3rd over-size bearing.

Personally, I'd be inclined to go for a replacement engine. The machining process is not done by your mechanic, he / she'll have to dismantle the engine completely, and send the crank off to a machine shop, who will then measure the crank journals, regrind as required, and supply the appropriate over-size metal bearing shells. So, you're looking at a complete engine rebuild - labour, gaskets, bolts / nuts, jointing compound, thread lock and fluids. The cost will most certainly be considerably higher than just sourcing a good used unit, and installing that. Besides, a reground engine, even on the first over-size will have a shorter service life than one with standard internals (standard crank journals).

Best of luck, let's know how you get on. And please, don't drive the car with the rattle - if the wear is in the crank-to-connecting rod bearings (big ends) at high RPM, it's very possible for the rods bearing caps to fail, which would send a piston and rod smashing through the side of the engine block, this will be the end. If the engine's hot enough, and oil goes onto the red-hot exhaust manifold, you could set the car alight.

2 Likes

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 7:08am On Sep 13, 2010
I still say you have an oil pressure issue - either that, or a lump of carbon got trapped between a crank journal, wearing down the metal bearing.

1 Like

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by kuntash: 7:36am On Sep 13, 2010
@ poster, lucky enough you ve gotten to lagos already.

I do not know how competent your mechanic is, but sincerely as for me, if such should happen, I would have to visit Ladipo, and bargain for an excellent engine, its available- perhaps better than your own, even @ the 89k miles. Negotiate with them that what you require is a first grade, they know it, else you can do a test, compression etc, your mechanic once again if good, would know what to do.

the reason is this, when you get unlucky with mechanics that tend to frustrate efforts in repairing - its so painful that you would regret ever taking such a repair decision.

if you have a space in your house - put the old engine there in case you might need anything from it.

all the best!

2 Likes

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 1:10pm On Sep 13, 2010
@siena, @ kuntash: thumbs up to you guys.

Thanks a lot for the extensive insight, well appreciated.

i am by this statements begining to consider an engine replacement than an engine rebuild, it will be most painful to have an engine rebuild with all the attending cost you mentioned and thereafter realise i have not achieve the best of operations cryfor the car which practically have been a travel car in whom i am well pleased cool.

I am currently at my mechanic workshop to have him check first hand what the problem is, i will surely get back to you guys in couple of hours to share my experience with you as per the affected parts in the engine, meanwhile i am runing my office from my mechanic workshop for the meantime.

This happen to be my first ever experience as far as car engine problems are concern, never had such experience with other cars, think is time to wear my experience cap now first hand grin.

Keep the ideas coming and the spirit of nairaland flying.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 10:16pm On Sep 13, 2010
Just what we were talking abt, without detecting the fault or performing a prior test on the car to determine the cause of the griding noise, my mechanic had my engine dropped completely.

He is yet to loose anypart thereoff when i got there,said he will be doing that tommorrow and i have promised to be there with him while he does that to be sure what he is doing. I pray he is not tyrying to play pranks on me.

1 Like

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 13, 2010
Keep your beady eye on that mechanic.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by ATH: 3:50am On Sep 14, 2010
Naija Mechanics!
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by kuntash: 7:24am On Sep 14, 2010
pls do this, go on ur own and negotiate a complete engine- (1st grade) seek for guarantee if possible, they always give though, but try to get an extended one, then the seller would know what to give u. (note, you are doing this without the mechanic's knowledge), if possible deposit smthn for the seller, (between 1-5k naira)

Then get the feedback on the mechanic on what he plans to do on the engine b4 removing any bolt or nut from the engine, , then lets have the jist here for a review,

give and take, new engine or former, your car should be ready this week if your budget is intact.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 1:23pm On Sep 14, 2010
@siena,

U re the bomb, its an oil pressure issue, the metals are totally worn out which affected the 4th and 6th cylinder, worning out the crankshaft in those two points.
Sprinkles and pieces of metal spread around the engine block and the oil sump and two of piston ends are affected also.

Sprikle of oil was notices in the air flow meter area by the suggesting an oil shortage at intervals,The first advice i was given is rather than changing the parts, to have what they called a half engine change,with just the top end to attach to it but my brother suggest a full engine change as siena,9ijaman and co has said.

I am looking at a complete engine change to avoid future need for unwaranted repairs but i can tell you its a scary sight looking at those engine parts as they were being loosed.

Its money spending time, so let me check my account balance. grin

1 Like

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 14, 2010
Spending time, yes. But congrats. One thing is to be confronted with and solving a problem, but the better part is to be able to identify the cause of the problem which is what as happened in your case. I stumbled on this thread by curiosity and I must say that for a long time it has been the most interesting for me on the auto forum of NL. This is because everybody that has contributed on this thread has been quite informative, expressive and mature. I sincerely wish this attitude is replicated generally in the forum. Hey, seal777 that's not to say I want to be in your shoes for now!
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 2:24pm On Sep 14, 2010
If you have noticed, i always post any issue with my car on nairaland, to get informed and get others aware to avoid such experience if possible.

I wish every nairalander will do such having gone through the experience, come share such with the house. I have cars, not looking to buy another one yet, the reason why i come on nairaland is to get infos on peoples experience.

I was aware of this problem before it happened but my observation didnt make any meaning to my mechanic, hence this proplem. I had told him the oil level goes down without smoking, the air flow connected to the throttle body gets soak with oil after trips but he wouldnt see anything wrong in it, i noticed a cracking noise though very minimal in the engine on the passenger side but he wouldnt listen and since i cant do it myself, i will have to rely on my mechanic.

Its a pity that technology and simple reasoning has eluded our local mechanics and its costing us a whole lot of money,time and stress.

I am a bit disadvanged on this issue cos i bought the car fairly used and dont have information on the maintainance practice on the car, i saw lots while the mechanic was loosing the engine parts, its an eye sore.

God help us as we journey with our cars.

1 Like

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 6:26pm On Sep 14, 2010
Having seen all the pieces of the engine and overview of my dear car in a shadow of itself sad, i came back home, get some food to eat  cooland got a 3hr deserved rest grin.

Just woken up now and still expecting further educative insight from my guys in the house.

Its guinness time 6:45pm and my great friend UDEME  grin is waiting to see me, Let me go have a nice time at the club: if my car deserves a new engine, i deserve a plate of cat fish and some bottles of beer to push it down. DONT YOU GUYS THINK SO?. cool

@siena & @kuntash, @c_osemiha and @9ijaMan,wish you guys could join me at the club. grin

5 Likes

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by bigfather(m): 6:52pm On Sep 14, 2010
seal777:

Having seen all the pieces of the engine and overview of my dear car in a shadow of itself sad, i came back home, get some food to eat cooland got a 3hr deserved rest grin.

Just woken up now and still expecting further educative insight from my guys in the house.

Its Guinness time 6:45pm and my great friend UDEME grin is waiting to see me, Let me go have a nice time at the club: if my car deserves a new engine, i deserve a plate of cat fish and some bottles of beer to push it down. DONT YOU GUYS THINK SO?. cool

@siena & @kuntash, @c_osemiha and @9ijaMan,wish you guys could join me at the club. grin

Nice one bro. But am a bit scared o. I use the same model with same engine but I've never had any course to regret ever driving the car. Though i seldom use the car anyway,except when am travelling and that happens once in every 3mths. Anyway, a tokunbo V6 engine will cost about 70-80k . Good luck bro . smiley
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by adanny01(m): 11:42pm On Sep 14, 2010
This is the best thread i've followed in the past 1 yr in the Auto section. Educative!
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 11:48pm On Sep 14, 2010
i am happy to be a living example.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 11:52pm On Sep 14, 2010
I AM HAPPY TO BE A LIVING EXAMPLE. OTHER V6 USERS SHOULD TAKE NOTE.

Siena , where are u?
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 15, 2010
So, as it turned out, the response to your caption is: yes, your engine is damaged. Oh-- I forgot to mention: I have a 2006 Maxima, V6! You bet my eyes will remain riveted on that instrument panel looking for the slightest trouble.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 15, 2010
I'm here, Seal.

It's worth noting, oil pressure issues aren't restricted to V6 engines. It's more to do with oil change frequency, oil grade and general health of an engine. Also, an oil pump could fail, at low speeds, you'll know before any damage is done, the hydraulic tappets will begin to rattle, as they become starved of oil. Shutting down immediately will save your engine.

Seal, your oil pressure switch must have failed, if the warning lamp didn't illuminate.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 7:32am On Sep 15, 2010
An oil warning light indicates low oil pressure, not low oil level!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Piedpiper(m): 7:59am On Sep 15, 2010
Yes Siena , but when the oil level is quite low then you most likely will have a low pressure in the line and the lights will come on. Though by then your mechanic might be singing to the bank except you drive a benz or a beamer. Those cars can take a beating at whatever age. grin
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by 9ijaMan: 10:02am On Sep 15, 2010
seal777:

@ Seal777,
I'm afraid I do not drink beer, but will very much appreciate the cat fish pepper soup! I wish you all the luck in your search for a new engine.

Piedpiper:

Yes Siena , but when the oil level is quite low then you most likely will have a low pressure in the line and the lights will come on. Though by then your mechanic might be singing to the bank except you drive a benz or a beamer. Those cars can take a beating at whatever age. grin

@ Piedpiper,
You are damn right on that. I have a 6 cylinder 1994 Mercedes Benz C-class (I bought it used in 2005), and it still does 220km/hr if you have the heart for it. I did a general bodywork/repairs about 3 year ago and it's almost due for another round of bodywork/repairs. The engine is still as good as new despite some initial hicups with overheating.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 15, 2010
Piedpiper:

Yeah, I had a somewhat experience with my 528i beamer not long ago. It allowed me to take the necessary steps (just a little engine oil top) before sending me to the mechs;the warning light disappeared soon afterward
9ijaMan:

I have a 6 cylinder 1994 Mercedes Benz C-class (I bought it used in 2005), and it still does 220km/hr if you have the heart for it.
.)
220km/hr!. Yeah, 9ijaMan you must really have a LARGE heart.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by GoldCircle: 1:08pm On Sep 15, 2010
wished all threads were as interesting and educative as this!
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 1:24pm On Sep 15, 2010
I am in the market sourcing for a replacement engine, so my fellow engineers grin( ummm, i am going beyond my boundry) in the house should give me sometime while i do this and come back to the house with a full report.

In the mean time,  full discussions and sharing of related experience is welcome in the house.

God bless us all.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by axeman85(m): 1:31pm On Sep 15, 2010
Back inn the days. had a 1996 or 86 corolla. just finished servicing it and took it to ibadan the following day, on my way back started hearing sounds. but managed to drive it to isolo at my mechanics only to find out that the engine is knocked. without showing any signs of low oil pressure or anything. undecided

True with the benz i had the opportunity of driving a 1996 vboot benz wago which belongs to a friend and that car is something else. infact its perfect condition and you will tink its still tokunbo. radiator was dry and i didnt even notice all i could see was the car kept jerking and switching off itself. parket, radiator cooled down. refilled with water. started and zoomed off. back to business.

@seal

enjoy your engine shopping. its always fun moving round ladipo or is it owode you went to. and be careful ooo. you can even ask them to test the engine for you or start it, if possible. all the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Need To Duplicate,programme Or Replace Faulty Keys(locksmith) / Honda Babyboy(2000/01) And 2003 Toyota Corolla / 2018 Model Range Rover Velar P380 Toks Fully Loaded Selling Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.