Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,621 members, 7,801,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others (6265 Views)

What's Your Best Christian Book / What's Your Best Christian Movie? / 10 Of The Best Christian Movies Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Papashira(m): 10:32pm On Apr 29, 2007
Can you just name the best christian book you ever read and that you will which to recommend to others.
you can even discuss what is all about, remain bless in Jesus name.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by ricadelide(m): 1:53pm On Apr 30, 2007
wow, i find it hard to say one particular christian book is my favorite, i guess i've read one too many, lol
However i think i can pick my favorite author, and that would be Watchman Nee.
FOr those who don't know him, he was a Chinese preacher/teacher/evangelist. He died in 1969 after being imprisoned by the communist government for many years. If you seek for a deep relationship with God and revelation of His Word, then i'd really recommend laying hands on his books, i would say its a must for every Christian seeking a deeper experience of God. I've never come across any other author in our day who even comes close in that aspect.

He has so many books to his name and i can't list all here but SOme of his notable titles are; The Normal Christian life, Changed Into His Likeness, How To Study The Bible (excellent book), Love Not The World, The Spiritual Man (which, in my opinion, is his classic work), and so many others.

I'd REALLY recommend him to anyone who has never 'passed through' his books; it would be best to start with the Normal Christian Life and then 'graduate' into the others.

Cheers! And best wishes in our quest to know Him more.

4 Likes

Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by jeshua(m): 2:49pm On May 01, 2007
ricadelide:

wow, i find it hard to say one particular christian book is my favorite, i guess i've read one too many, lol
However i think i can pick my favorite author, and that would be Watchman Nee.
FOr those who don't know him, he was a Chinese preacher/teacher/evangelist. He died in 1969 after being imprisoned by the communist government for many years. If you seek for a deep relationship with God and revelation of His Word, then i'd really recommend laying hands on his books, i would say its a must for every Christian seeking a deeper experience of God. I've never come across any other author in our day who even comes close in that aspect.

He has so many books to his name and i can't list all here but SOme of his notable titles are; The Normal Christian life, Changed Into His Likeness, How To Study The Bible (excellent book), Love Not The World, The Spiritual Man (which, in my opinion, is his classic work), and so many others.

I'd REALLY recommend him to anyone who has never 'passed through' his books; it would be best to start with the Normal Christian Life and then 'graduate' into the others.

Cheers! And best wishes in our quest to know Him more.

I know watchman nee. great author, read some parts in my undergraduates and it humbled me. But have you tried  the books of richard Wumbrand? check this sites that describes them: http://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/bookdisplay.asp?bookid=10802. I have read two of their books;
1. Tortured for Christ
2.In the face of surrender
and I just remembered now
3.Marx and Satan.
Great books I tell you.

But one that has never stopped affecting my life till now is
TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT GUIDANCE  by Bob Mumford. Please get that book it is will forever be your reference note. forget about those who preach to get you high, this books gets you  humbled before God and helps you to understand how spiritual guidance works. if you don't know how to determine the will of God-am not saying marriage but every where read it. I have read books but none like this one.  i have other books in my head too.

Kenneth Again- Annointing
Robert Liardon- Breaking controlling powers(this got me into trouble not problem)
Billy graham- Crusades (you think is about revival but it is about a life commissioned by God but still in contact with the struggles of Life)
Derek prince-blessing or curse you can choose
Hope it was useful. i like your thread.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Consultant(f): 5:01am On May 02, 2007
If you like fiction, I recommend any book written by Francine Rivers. I have read Reedeming Love and Atonement Child and both were awesome.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by ricadelide(m): 6:21pm On May 02, 2007
Consultant:

If you like fiction, I recommend any book written by Francine Rivers. I have read Reedeming Love and Atonement Child and both were awesome.

yeah, i've read some of her books. She does a good job. Talking about Christian fiction, in my opinion, none does it better than Frank Peretti. I've read nearly all his books and they are just awesome.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by naijacutee(f): 8:54pm On May 02, 2007

1.This is more of a Psychology book, but it was written by a Christian author - The spirit-controlled temperament by Tim LaHaye (Left Behind guy). It's such an awesome book, and it painted a picture of myself that I'd never quite seen before. I believe it contains some vital information that represents everyone in one way or the other.

2. Also, there's s book I'm on right now : The case for a Creator - By Lee Strobel. One of the most intellectually stimulating books ever. It presents a case for Intelligent Design using scientific theories such as Evolution, Darwinism, cosmology, astronomy, bio-chemistry, quantum theory, big bang theory, DNA etc.

I swear this book will prompt you to want to gather every science textbook, article and journal you can find and read for yourself to help you decide whether or not everything just "became".

Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by pilgrim1(f): 9:43pm On May 02, 2007
God bless the gentleman who had practically been on his knees for my conversion for over 3 years - and God answered his prayers. I enjoyed reading many books from his sizeable library during those years, and still do. Among the list of authors I've recently relished include:

(1) Watchman Nee:
- The Spiritual Man (3 Volumes)
- The Normal Christian Life
- Love Not The World

(2) Lee Strobel
- Case for Faith
- Case For Christ

(3) Leonard Ravenhill
- Revival Praying
and several of his classics.

(4) Charles R. Swindoll
- (several of his books)

(5) A. W. Tozer
- The Pursuit of God
and several of his classics.

Among those currently being enjoyed are:

* Dr. Ed Murphy - The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare
Quite a volume written in a very easy-to-read style. Dr. Murphy treats this subject from both the OT and NT, and follows through with practical considerations on demonization. Several questions most Christians take for granted are also given sound answers (in my opinion).

* Dr. Robert Morey - The Trinity: Evidences and Issues
How can we understand the Trinity against the backdrop of the especially Muslim accusation that Christianity is synonymous with polytheism? This is one book I would recommend to anyone seeking Biblical answers; particularly as it examines the issues from the original languages and offers answers to some objections people have raised. This is not a book for easy-arm-chair reading; but for a volume of 587 pages, it is worth the attention anyone could pay it for the answers it offers.

1 Like

Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Papashira(m): 10:16pm On May 02, 2007
Kenneth Hagins:
GROWING UP SPIRITUALLY"
HOW TO BE LEAD BY GOD"

when i read "Growing up Spiritually i realised that there's still enough to be done cos it's very simple yet powerful and it teaches how to move to Next level spiritually.

"How to be led by God" it is more than what can be described cos it gives the important of being led by God and of course how to experience His leading expecially Listening to the Inner voice which is Holy Spirit in us and which we have failed to acknowledge.
I will gladly recommend Kenneth Hagin's book cos they are books that are full of experiences as a growing christian and mostly what we dont use to hear in church services today especially our relationship with Holy Spirit.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Rlst84sale(m): 1:57am On May 03, 2007
"Ruling In The Gate" by Joseph Mattera, every Christian should read this book. It is an in depth explanation of God's plan for creation and a blueprint of future practice of Christianity. Please read it with prayer.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by ricadelide(m): 4:35am On May 07, 2007
pilgrim.1:

God bless the gentleman who had practically been on his knees for my conversion for over 3 years - and God answered his prayers.
May God bless him again, there's nothing like allowing God to use one to lead others to Him.

pilgrim.1:

* Dr. Ed Murphy - The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare
Quite a volume written in a very easy-to-read style. Dr. Murphy treats this subject from both the OT and NT, and follows through with practical considerations on demonization. Several questions most Christians take for granted are also given sound answers (in my opinion).
Those are some great books and authors you listed there.
You might also want to try laying your hands on Dr. Rebecca Brown-Yoder's books; Prepare for war, He came to set the captives free, Becoming a vessel unto honour, etc. They are written in a very easy-to-read language, and document first-hand experiences of things in the realm of spiritual warfare. Cheers.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by pilgrim1(f): 8:35am On May 07, 2007
ricadelide:

May God bless him again, there's nothing like allowing God to use one to lead others to Him.

Oh thanks, ricadelide. It is really amazing when I look back and wonder that I could have been so acrid and hateful against Jesus and Christianity. I often hear people say that Christianity is not a religion but a relationship; but it was not until Jesus Christ touched my life in a real way that I knew for sure what that statement means. Today, I'm amazed that one can actually talk to God in prayer and feel His power and presence ina very real way - blessings which religious life previously did not, and could never, bring me.

ricadelide:

Those are some great books and authors you listed there.
You might also want to try laying your hands on Dr. Rebecca Brown-Yoder's books; Prepare for war, He came to set the captives free, Becoming a vessel unto honour, etc. They are written in a very easy-to-read language, and document first-hand experiences of things in the realm of spiritual warfare. Cheers.

Those two features in any book will make a good read for me any day: easy-to-read; and written by authors who had firsthand experiences of their subjects. And God bless you again.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Ndipe(m): 10:21am On May 07, 2007
The Holy Bible
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by pilgrim1(f): 10:51am On May 07, 2007
Lol, everyone knows that the Holy Bible is THE Book of Christianity without superlatives. You can't even call it 'The Best Christian Book' because it stands on its own, if for nothing else but for its stamp divine inspiration. wink
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by jeshua(m): 12:00pm On May 07, 2007
My dad will always say:

[b]H[/b]old
[b]O[/b]n
[b]L[/b]oyally
[b]Y[/b]our

[b]B[/b]est
[b]I[/b]nstruction
[b]B[/b]efore
[b]L[/b]eaving
[b]E[/b]arth

HOLY BIBLE
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by pilgrim1(f): 1:52pm On May 07, 2007
jeshua:

My dad will always say:

[b]H[/b]old
[b]O[/b]n
[b]L[/b]oyally
[b]Y[/b]our

[b]B[/b]est
[b]I[/b]nstruction
[b]B[/b]efore
[b]L[/b]eaving
[b]E[/b]arth

HOLY BIBLE

Awesome! cheesy
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by thesilent1(m): 3:06pm On May 10, 2007
"DON'T BLAME GOD" if you can find it, buy it, steal it, borrow it, copy it, download it, by any means GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will free your life in such a way, you will be shocked at how you lived before
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by jeshua(m): 3:49pm On May 10, 2007
thesilent1:

"DON'T BLAME GOD" if you can find it, buy it, steal it, borrow it, copy it, download it, by any means GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will free your life in such a way, you will be shocked at how you lived before

haba!!! why steal it? That is wrong-tell us the bookshops that will propably have it. You cant use the devils weapon to bring the devil down-stealing is the devils weapon.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Feyisayomi(f): 10:03am On May 11, 2007
For me, anything Max Lucado does it. I love simplicity and depth and his books have it. I especially recommend "Just like Jesus"
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by thesilent1(m): 2:13pm On May 11, 2007
Jeshua,

LOL!! i hope you know i was joking about stealing it but to be honest, knowing what i learnt from it, i will go as far as saying, Yes, steal it!!! lol joke

i doubt you will find it in "normal christian book shops" as there are a lot of sacred cows killed in the book. i am not plugging but you can get it from ebay

Peace!
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by bebe2007(m): 4:26pm On May 11, 2007
I would recommend the LEFT BEHIND SERIES (1-12) its captivating!!! you would not drop it for a minute. Try Frank Peretti's novels too. "THIS PRESENT DARKNESS" and many more

1 Like

Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by donnie(m): 2:48pm On May 12, 2007
The Seven Spirits Of God by Chris Oyakhilome.

The book does more than just tell you about these seven Spirits, it actually brings you into fellowship with what it seeks to intruduce.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by dejia(m): 9:19pm On May 18, 2007
Hellllo!!!!!,
I guess most of us are Nigerians, But why hasnt anybody recommended a book written by a Nigerian Author?

Well i will: Parable of the Dollars By Pastor Sam Adeyemi.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by TellyB(m): 9:28pm On May 18, 2007
dejia:

I guess most of us are Nigerians, But why hasnt anybody recommended a book written by a Nigerian Author?

I thought Chris Oyakhilome is Nigerian?

donnie:

The Seven Spirits Of God by Chris Oyakhilome.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Bobbyaf(m): 7:45pm On May 19, 2007
Two of my all time favourites are  "Steps to Christ" and "Desire of Ages" by E.G.White, you can read them online.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Ndipe(m): 3:51am On May 21, 2007
I really liked Desire of Ages, but the authors were trying to tow the line of Catholicism when they suggested that the brothers of Jesus Christ were actually Joseph's sons from a previous relationship.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Bobbyaf(m): 6:09pm On May 21, 2007
@ Ndipe

I really liked Desire of Ages, but the authors were trying to tow the line of Catholicism when they suggested that the brothers of Jesus Christ were actually Joseph's sons from a previous relationship.

I can't recall seeing that, but can you find that information for me. Thanks!
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Ndipe(m): 10:15am On May 22, 2007
Do you have the book at home? I read it when I lived in Nigeria, so I can't recall the exact page number of the book that refers to the brothers of Jesus Christ as the son of Joseph.

Read this link.

http://www.truthorfables.com/Desire_of_Ages.htm

I culled the above from the internet.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by Papashira(m): 9:31pm On Jun 12, 2007
can someone just tell me about Yongi Cho's "FOURTH DIMENSION"
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by barikade: 9:48pm On Jun 12, 2007
Bobs, can't remember when exactly I read that book by Yonggi Cho. When I go back and browse to refresh my memory, I might post some. smiley
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by KAG: 10:41pm On Jun 12, 2007
Papashira:

can someone just tell me about Yongi Cho's "FOURTH DIMENSION"

From what I remember it's a pretty decent read: good narrative, engaging and informative - especially if you're into the whole Jesus/faith in unseen/prosperity thing.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by KAG: 11:34pm On Jun 12, 2007
Can you just name the best christian book you ever read and that you will which to recommend to others.
you can even discuss what is all about, remain bless in Jesus name.

A few I remember enjoying and would have recommended under different circumstances: The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis; Bunyan's [u]Pilgrim's Progress[/b];. I'll try to remember the names of a few more.

Ones I wouldn't recommend: Rebecca Brown's books.
Re: The Best Christian Book You Ever Read; Recommend It Here To Others by debosky(m): 11:38pm On Jun 12, 2007
why wouldn't you recommend RB's books?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Deep Significance Of The Midnight Hour / What Is The Real Name Of The Islamic God? / The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.