Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,577 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. (3426 Views)

Two Years Remembrance Of Yar'adua / Alhaji Dahiru Mangal: The Profile Of Yar'adua’s Buddy And Nigeria's Richest Cros / Picture Of Yar'Adua And Goodluck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by dayokanu(m): 8:07am On Apr 30, 2007
I was in Katsina recently and I evaluated the state and what Nigerians should expect from Yar'Adua

A gov who left 7 billion in the coffers of the state while Almajiris flood the street of Katsina is a governor who lacks ideas about how to tackle the problems at hand. What is the use of money in the coffers when Katsina is still one of the most under developed state in Nigeria? It is one of the few states that still boast of cases of wild Polio in Nigeria and are still exporting it to the outside world? Are you still wondering why the state gov, after 8 years still travel abroad to treat constipation?

So Nigeria would have 100billion dollars in reserves and the populace would be suffering no Light, bad roads no amenities and he would claim that he does not steal money

Reminds me of a story of a man who was saving, had a fat bank account and died of hunger
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by lakeside4love(m): 11:34am On Apr 30, 2007
4 years isnt too much nah my brother, At least we just survive one terrible 8 years, Make we wait till 2011, Maybe by then, there wuld be constant Power Supply,
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by DisGuy: 4:44pm On Apr 30, 2007
it would be interesting to know if you lived there 8years ago

atleast now he will have the best and exposed team to work with in the likes of soludo,ribadu,nnedi* an co

ps. one man dont make a country wink
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by stanech: 6:24pm On Apr 30, 2007
Apart from duke yaradua is the second most achieved governor. Pls do your research properly before posting.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by 9ja4eva: 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2007
I didnt hear anything abt him being corrupt or so.He shld prove his critics wrong.Since hes nt d wasteful type then dere is a hardway.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by dayokanu(m): 8:19pm On Apr 30, 2007
Apart from duke yaradua is the second most achieved governor. Please do your research properly before posting

I went to Katsina and I saw what obtains on the street Do you know what is called Almajiri's street urchin I saw loads of them in Katsina
what did Yar'Adua do?
Katsina is among the few nigerian states that still export wild Polio So what are his achievements in the health sector that makes him to travel abroad to treat sneezing?
Who heard anything about Yar'Adua before until PDP decided to bring him out and paint him in bright colors have you ever seen a dummy president before Imagine with all the challenges in Katsina that needs addressing, the best thing for him to do is for him to save money for someone with ideas to come and develop Katsina.
Now that Nigeria needs a lot of fixing from the mess/darkness, badroads, Adedibu and Andy Uba, political killings that OBJ has handed down to us Yar'Adua will now start to save money cos he is bereft of ideas. Does he know about the time value of money?
The 7 billion or whatever that he chose to save in Katsina;think of the development the money would have achieved in 2006/2007 compared to 2009/2010
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by Seun(m): 9:04pm On Apr 30, 2007
The Almajiris are professional beggars. As far as they are concerned, begging is their job. It's not Yar'adua's fault.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by DisGuy: 9:45pm On Apr 30, 2007
why dont you combine the two post on yaradua
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by McKren(m): 11:36am On May 01, 2007
It is not fair to use the Alamajiri's to judge a state governor.
That issue is a case of migration and lack of border controls which the Nigerian state has refused to address because of religous sentiments.
This country is going no where as long as our population continues to increase in exponential order. Their has to be re-orientation of the Nigerian public, in a country where there is no adequate welfare system, people can not continue to cross the borders because we are simply not able to improve their lives.

Some of those Alamajiris have no parents because they were brought from Niger to learn the qur'an, they have no life no love and as soon as there is tension they are the first to pick up arms against southerners.

So the Alamajiris is part of the failure in Nigerian Immigration Services which needs to be overhauled.

From a Katsina state point of view taking a special care of those alamajiris is simply unsustainable because any attempt to do something significant in that regard without adequate migration control will mean more Alamajiris in Katsina which the government can not practically handle.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by jesusfreak(f): 12:16pm On May 01, 2007
shld we observe a clapping ovation for yar'adau just becos he didnt steal govt money?

leadership goes beyond all that. if the man couldnt develop his state while he was govenor, y shd we waste our time over him. will he begin to spring up surprises now that he's president? i think not. what he will do in his position as president is already reflected tru katsina state.

almajiris is a big issue for the hausas, they feel strongly about it and im sure yar'adua being an hausa man would not consider it improper to have children beg for food on the streets.

if he did, y didnt he campaign against the ugly trend?

i already know the kind of president we have and im not expecting him to peform more than his capabilities smiley
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by DisGuy: 1:24pm On May 01, 2007
jesusfreak:

shld we observe a clapping ovation for yar'adau just because he didnt steal govt money?

leadership goes beyond all that. if the man couldnt develop his state while he was govenor, y should we waste our time over him. will he begin to spring up surprises now that he's president? i think not. what he will do in his position as president is already reflected tru katsina state.

i already know the kind of president we have and im not expecting him to peform more than his capabilities smiley

In the nigerian context, yes, you should observe a standing ovation for yaradua 'just because he didnt steal govt money' and also for other governors that achieved something

almajiris is a big issue for the hausas, they feel strongly about it and im sure yar'adua being an hausa man would not consider it improper to have children beg for food on the streets.
Almajris is a big issue for nigerians, I dont know if you watched the documentary on nta about almajiris but ALL of the 'elders' in that programme consider it 'abusing the goodwill of fellow citizens' and pure laziness in most case

i wonder how many governors did that, given the condition of nigeria any govt official that does without putting in place adequate facilities will be a laughing stock- give out 50 okadas, 20 generators and several bags of rice is wasteful!
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by ilawereyahoocom(m): 1:33pm On May 01, 2007
Using Almajiris to judge a governor is like using drug addicts, gun runners, prostitutes etc to judge Presidents who have ruled America till today - Almajiri is a cultural thing - even if you put them in the best of places they will still have the propensity to scamper for food.

You are very biased poster. I went to work in B'Kebbi in the north and every night I told a few of these so called Almajiris to meet me for food just to stop them from eating left overs in restaurants, but you will be amazed that after coming to me for food for the night, they still go around looking for food to eat - left overs - at other eating places all through the night.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by dayokanu(m): 2:19pm On May 02, 2007
It is not fair to use the Alamajiri's to judge a state governor.
That issue is a case of migration and lack of border controls which the Nigerian state has refused to address because of religous sentiments.
This country is going no where as long as our population continues to increase in exponential order. Their has to be re-orientation of the Nigerian public, in a country where there is no adequate welfare system, people can not continue to cross the borders because we are simply not able to improve their lives

SO it is not right to use the living conditions of a country to judge the president's performance?
Most of these Almajiri's are not from Niger as you claim they are fromthe individual northern state. they are children between the ages of 4-14yrs how can ppl in these age range trek all the way to Northern Nigeria and dont mistake them for the arabs that beg on the street of Lagos, Almajiris are negroes they are dark in complexion.

Katsina is among the few nigerian states that still export wild Polio So what are his achievements in the health sector that makes him to travel abroad to treat sneezing?
Who heard anything about Yar'Adua before until PDP decided to bring him out and paint him in bright colors have you ever seen a dummy president before?
Imagine with all the challenges in Katsina that needs addressing, the best thing for him to do is for him to save money for someone with ideas to come and develop Katsina.
Now that Nigeria needs a lot of fixing from the mess/darkness, badroads, Adedibu and Andy Uba, political killings that OBJ has handed down to us Yar'Adua will now start to save money because he is bereft of ideas.
Does he know about the time value of money?
The 7 billion or whatever that he chose to save in Katsina;think of the development the money would have achieved in 2006/2007 compared to 2009/2010
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by bigspif(m): 4:56pm On May 02, 2007
@ dayokanu
I agree on some of your points but you need to get more facts on the others(ie most of Almajiris do come from Niger republic). Yar'adua saved money as you said but its true the state was not cartered for, its also true that health sector is very insufficiently provided (apart from renovating some old buildings, education sector is nothin to write home about (apart from building new blocks of classrooms with no teachers), no sufficient portable water except in GRA and little part of the environs, forget electricity (though thats federal) but the loadshedding over there is just for 1 and half hour and the current is like candle, no industries the live ones are dying, no employment opportunities and the youths and women are not empowered, no good housing scheme for the populace (but roundabouts are built and renovated by the day), killed sports

Some of his credits include,
Saving the state monies that could be used to develop the deficiencies
Roads built around the state and environs
Paying the workforce  as at when due
Refusing to conive with rouge and old politicians in the state
Appointments based on merit
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by dayokanu(m): 5:07pm On May 02, 2007
Seriously I lived in the north for 2 years and I know these  Almajiris are not from Niger Mind you the Almajiri's are different from the curly haired, fair skinned ones we see around begging for money. They are children between the ages of 3 and 14 years very dark skinned. Because of the extreme poverty in the north some parents send their children to Islamic scholars to learn Koran since the Mullah is not a millionaire, the children are left to go outside to community to beg for alms from the people and some people give them cos they see it as if you are helping God's work. These children sleep outside in the rain or shine and woe betide you if you go to and  canteen and take your eyes of your food.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by Seun(m): 5:09pm On May 02, 2007
If Northerners are so poor, they should stop breeding like rabbits. The more you help them, the more they will breed.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by DisGuy: 7:21pm On May 02, 2007
dayokanu:

Seriously I lived in the north for 2 years and I know these Almajiris are not from Niger Mind you the Almajiri's are different from the curly haired, fair skinned ones we see around begging for money. They are children between the ages of 3 and 14 years very dark skinned. Because of the extreme poverty in the north some parents send their children to Islamic scholars to learn Koran since the Mullah is not a millionaire, the children are left to go outside to community to beg for alms from the people and some people give them because they see it as if you are helping God's work. These children sleep outside in the rain or shine and woe betide you if you go to and canteen and take your eyes of your food.

What did other state governor do effectively to curb begging ?
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by adejumobi(m): 4:24pm On May 03, 2007
@ dayokanu
If truely you stayed in the north for 2 year as you said, i think one thing you still have to understand about some of the northerners in high offices is:-
1) they believe in sharing the money rather than execute the projects
2) even when you work but the money do not circulate, you've done nothing
3) you hardly hear that an hausa contractor is drag to court for not executing a contract awarded to him by his state govt.

i will not blame Musa for saving the money rather than sharing the money, because at the end of the day if nothing is done and no money is found in tha state coffer, we will still crucify him and ask for the money.
another thing you should know is the way a country is run is totaly diff. from the way a state is run.
just lets give him a trial and countinue to pray for God's guidiance.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by adejumobi(m): 4:38pm On May 03, 2007
jesusfreak:

shld we observe a clapping ovation for yar'adau just because he didnt steal govt money?

leadership goes beyond all that. if the man couldnt develop his state while he was govenor, y should we waste our time over him. will he begin to spring up surprises now that he's president? i think not. what he will do in his position as president is already reflected tru katsina state.

I want you to mention all the state government that developed their states, you will be suprise that Yar Adua tried more than most of them. Despite not doing anything the state money is nothing to write home about.
I dont know why we encourage corruption and deception, if musa Had put Up a programme on Nigerian TV Showing some of the projects executed every week as most gov did, repeating the same thing in different ways, we wont stop praising him.

In short, as far as am concern out of the three (3) major hausa presidential candidates, he is far better off than the ramaining two ( Atiku and Buhari).
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by adejumobi(m): 4:52pm On May 03, 2007
talking about almajiris, just as we have beggers and children hawking in the streets of lagos, and almost all the states of the federation including FCT and the govs cannot do anything about them, northern states should not be crucified for not been able to curb the flow of almajiris. especially Katsina because of Musa.
we should also bear in mind that these almajiris are not from are not from one northern state, they are from all part of Northern states so it should be the problem of all the state govts from northern part.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by Bankole01(m): 4:57pm On May 03, 2007
If Yar'Adua can shake off the yoke of being type-cast as a weakling and Obasanjo puppet, he may perform well. He recently declared his assets at N500 million whereas he declared N10 million just four years age. This raised a question mark as to how he was able to make that much money in just four years??

Buhari is the only office holder as Head of state and director PTDF who has not been tainted by the corruption stigma and he would make a better fiscal president that Yar'Adua, going as far as instilling accountability in public office.
Yar'Adua will be had pressed to instill discipline, given the albatross (Obasanjo) living in his backyard.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by dayokanu(m): 5:18pm On May 03, 2007
talking about almajiris, just as we have beggers and children hawking in the streets of lagos, and almost all the states of the federation including FCT and the govs cannot do anything about them, northern states should not be crucified for not been able to curb the flow of almajiris. especially Katsina because of Musa.
we should also bear in mind that these almajiris are not from are not from one northern state, they are from all part of Northern states so it should be the problem of all the state govts from northern part.

Have you really seen what Almajiri's are they are so many that you cant compare them to the beggars in Lagos little children in numbers without food or hope.

He recently declared his assets at N500 million whereas he declared N10 million just four years age. This raised a question mark as to how he was able to make that much money in just four years??
This is another expose if true, would tell us about our angel and messiah. I have always wondered what a good man like they described Yar'Adua to be could be looking for in the midst of rogues i.e PDP not knowing that seeemu ni (Dem be the same)
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by Afam(m): 5:23pm On May 03, 2007
Since Yar'adua defeated his candidates (Atiku and/or Buhari) he has declared war on the innocent man for no good reasons.

Now, it is a crime for a governor to save money for the state instead of looting the treasury abi?

Nigerians, what do we really want? Decent people in government or crooks?
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by Dreloaded(f): 5:42pm On May 03, 2007
dayokanu - saving for the future has now become a sin

even if he had 20billion - can that change a peoples culture overnight? the almajiri issue is a complex socio-religious matter, it will take more than 'the govt' to change that.

he has built schools, roads, and is investing in cash crops to diversify the state's economic base. that is more than a pass mark to me, especially when you add the fact that he is not corrupt from available statistics.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by jockey112(m): 5:43pm On May 03, 2007
@ afam
i wonder too o.
first its OBJ travels a lot (2) its third term (3) selective (4) its because AP won lagos and now its because yaradua left too much.

God help us .
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by adejumobi(m): 5:51pm On May 03, 2007
you see, we all comment about what we see or hear, have you ever ask yourself why buhari is so desperate to be president ofcourse we dont know.
what we are saying is that we dont want these military men in civilian garment to return and am certain that there is more to it than meet the eyes.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by DisGuy: 5:53pm On May 03, 2007
dayokanu:

Have you really seen what Almajiri's are they are so many that you can't compare them to the beggars in Lagos little children in numbers without food or hope.
This is another expose if true, would tell us about our angel and messiah. I have always wondered what a good man like they described Yar'Adua to be could be looking for in the midst of rogues i.e PDP not knowing that seeemu ni (Dem be the same)

what is the difference between almajiri and beggars?

Donald duke is part of PDP

when you chop money they complain till you start dashing them contract and motocyle/bicyle
when you are prudent with money by not giving lazy people cash in hand, not paying NTA thisday the sun for unecessary publicity, by not going to UK, USA for cheap awards they complain. If you no chop them go complain shaaa
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by tlops(m): 9:17am On May 04, 2007
seun @
The Almajiris are professional beggars. As far as they are concerned, begging is their job. It's not Yar'adua's fault.

If begging is a professional job, is it a decent job? Yar'adua should have taken stepps to correct that, those guys need education, they need to be cared for. u need to stay in the north to know what this people do,U can be sure they will prefer a better life if offered.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by Seun(m): 12:39pm On May 04, 2007
If begging is a professional job, is it a decent job?
One man's meat is another man's poison. The religion of Islam encourages people to give to beggars, and that's ok.
People should be allowed to do whatever jobs they want to do, provided they are not harming others substantially.

The governor should be judged based on the presence of thieves, murderers, sexual assaulters, kidnappers, etc.

they will prefer a better life if offered.
You will be surprised to learn that most of them would still prefer to beg, because they make a lot of money from it.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by otokx(m): 5:09pm On May 04, 2007
Lets give this man a chance if he is sworn in.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by 9ja4eva: 7:18am On May 05, 2007
Lets really hope he does things differently.
Re: Katsina State After 8 Years Of Yar'adua. by tlops(m): 4:57pm On May 05, 2007
Seun:

One man's meat is another man's poison. The religion of Islam encourages people to give to beggars, and that's ok.
but I am sure it did not say they should be beggars. Why do we have leaders if they can not show us the right ways and ensure we do the right things?

Seun:

The governor should be judged based on the presence of thieves, murderers, sexual assaulters, kidnappers, etc.
You will be surprised to learn that most of them would still prefer to beg, because they make a lot of money from it.

Haba!! Seun . why should  u judge a state by the number of thieves, etc, A Governor should be jugded (my opinion) by the quality of life offered to the people. The quality of life of an average citizen should be a better yard stick.

I think   thieves, murderers, sexual assaulters, kidnappers, etc. are all social misdemeanor of which begging is among.

I think if we jugded based on these things I am sure he wqill score below average. Anyway lets hope he'll improve.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Justice Alfa Belgore, Emerges As Acn Governorship Candidate In Kwara State / Governor Timipre Sylva Threatens To Kill President Jonathan And Family / Journalists Barred From Jonathan’s Visit To Akwa Ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.