Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,895 members, 7,798,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please (9870 Views)

Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook / To My Future Wife / Being Married To A Nigerian Is Hard Sometimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by titilayomi(f): 12:40pm On Apr 30, 2007
My fiance's younger sister doesn't seem to like me. When i call her, she's always busy and will call me back later, but would never call. I'm a reserved kind of person and when i keep to myself and don't call her, she tells her mom and my fiance's mom always go on about me not calling my iya oko(thts my fiance's younger sister). The older sisters are always so nice to me, calling me even if i don't and his mom too. It's only the younger sister that's always giving me ''attitude''

She called my fiance recently and was talking about me, he raked for her and dropped the call on her, but he didn't tell me exactly wot she said about me.

I feel funny about this and i don't know how to react to her, she wants me to call her ''sister or aunty'' so so (and i okayed it cuz she's older than me anywayz by 2yrs+)

i have really hit the wall with her, and i don't know how else to behave to her.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by adeboo(f): 5:48pm On Apr 30, 2007
You really need to try and avoid her cause she will always cause a rift between you and your husband / his family.

As per the 'aunty' business, just try nd have maybe a nickname for her or call her 'sister'.

She is really jealous of you cause you have shifted her brother's attention from her to yourself - what she is doing is just a normal reaction.

However, dont let her go over the top - call her, sit her down and tell her you wanna get along with her for the sake of the family and if she is still acting up - then try your best to avoid her (it will be tough) but try to do that otherwise you will have a confrontation that you do not need.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by titilayomi(f): 6:05pm On Apr 30, 2007
Thanks adeboo, she isn't even hiding her jealousy at all, atleast i have brothers as well and i get on well with their wifes and girlfriends, so i don't see any reason why she should be beefing me for no reason. She's got a fiance too, why is she then jealous ?
Ile oko, ile eko ma ni o, smthg wey she no fit talk to me on a gd day if b say we met on neutral levels. Anywayz for the sake of peace, i've bin calling her sister so so, but when its me and my man, i call her by name o.

Can you imagine her asking her brother(my fiance), when she heard we were getting married soon, if he really likes me enuff to tht extent. He told her, he doesnt like me, and she was like , wat ? he said I love her. . . maybe its because of how my man shows me off in front of them(he does evrywhr and to evryone o).

I've decided to keep to myself, cause i believe i've tried my best. I don't dislike her at all, just that i hope she doesn't do more than she's trying to do now after we're married.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by English1(f): 11:23am On May 01, 2007
I behaved like a total bitch to my favourite brothers girlfriend/fiancee even though secretly I really liked her. I was just jealous. But then I was only 12 years old and we all do stupid things at that age.

She is an adult and should know better.She sounds very immature to be jealous. Just ignore her behaviour. I'm sure her family are embarrassed by her and admire your cool head. cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by cuteass1(f): 11:52am On May 01, 2007
Darling, you're going through one of the most natural things ever.

But what can i say Adeboo took my mouth.

She's just jealous of the fact that her bro loves you that much, which makes the love for her less (you know last born kids and their ever hunger for pampering lol, no matter how old they've become) One thing she gets blinded to, is that her brother still loves her dearly, just not showing it the same way.

Most of them grow to get used to the situation, esp after the wedding and she sees and believes you really mean no harm. I hope that for you, but dear either way, though i know it could be upsetting and hurting, try your best to ensure peace, you can talk to her too like Adeboo said, if at the end of the day she still doesn't change, then let her be (its not like you can force her to accept you anyway, and if she will, let her love the you that you are now, andnot the one you'll become to please her). You can't be loved by the whole world anyway, no matter how you try. But i believe she'll come around!!"

She's either been this protective towards her brother to others that came along, or her brother hasn't loved any like he loves you, either way, give her more time. She'll adapt wink cheesy
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by doubletree(f): 12:00pm On May 01, 2007
I agree with english one and cute-ass

just keep your cool with her and don't start becoming bitchy to her.

The most important thing is the relationship between you and your hubby.

no matter how bad his sister is, if you start being bitchy to her he will find it hard to always take your side.

As the years go on in your marriage the sister will realise you are there to stay whether she likes it or not and you will both work out a way to get along (not necessarily best of friends but at least a civil relationship with each other.)
as you said 'ile oko ile eko ni'. 9yrs into my marriage i can tell you I have become a politician when it comes to my in-laws. i'm sure your sister in law has her good points with time you will see more of the good side.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by cuteass1(f): 12:15pm On May 01, 2007
@ English 1
you're so right, at her age, she's still behaving like a spoilt brat, what rubbish!! angry
When the poster said, the sister in law was 2yrs older than herself, i couldn't believe my ears eyes, damn hilarious grin The sister-in-law deserves an award ooh lol!! By now.as old as she is, she definitely should have out-grown the attitude

@ Doubletree

abi my sister?? whether she likes it or not wink Who asked her sef?? *sighs*. But i hope for the sake of our poster, the lady changes for better sooner than later cheesy
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by titilayomi(f): 5:20pm On May 01, 2007
Thanks 'y'all. I'll try my best to give her the required respect and i hope she doesn't overstep her boundary. We hardly talk anywayz, and when we do its all formal and within a minute the phone conversation is over.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by mide2(f): 10:33pm On May 01, 2007
hmmm, na wa oh
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by titilayomi(f): 10:38pm On May 01, 2007
I've been trying to call her oh, but she's either not picking her call or her phone is switched off, got to talk with her atlast and she goes'' i'll call you back later, i'm busy right now'', ever since (that was like 2 weeks ago) she hasn't called back. Talked with my fiance mom today, and she was like '' so so says she hasn't heard from you in ages, why haven't you called her'' I felt like saying why can't she call me once for a change if she's so missing me as such. Goodness! she sounds like you're disturbing her with your call and she keeps saying to her mom, titi doesnt call me. Said i'll call her tonight just for peace, but i aint calling s**t! she can sod off !! We're both in the same country so we both spend the same amount to call.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by doubletree(f): 11:34pm On May 01, 2007
don't get angry. call her. small talk won't kill you-how are you,work etc,just called to say hi.less than a min conversation.

let it be seen especially to your mum in law that you are making an effort.

you are lucky ur mum in law is nice to you.try and keep it that way.

the sister is trying to get some rxn out of you so she can have something to say about you.

be patient the girl will tire!and leave you alone.

1 Like

Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by cuteass1(f): 12:05am On May 02, 2007
@ doubletree

girl, still speaking my mind.

The best medicine is to beat your "enemy" (not that she's your enemy though wink )at their own game.

She's lookingfor faults to perch on and make you look bad, well you'll give no room for faults. Your tracks will be fully covered. You'll leave no stones uncovered, Cos on the "judgement" day, you wouldn't want to be found wanting.

You already told/promised your mother-in-law you'd call right? well you have to, if nothing, out of respect for the lady wink
It'll take nohing from you, but it'll make you a good name down the road. Your tiny peaceful advances towards her will sooner or later make her feel like a fool, so keep on keeping.

She thinks she smarter? well you're smarter, she thinks she stands high and tall? well flash news for her, you stand taller and higher.

Dear, know this: there can not be two mad people on stage at the same time, so let her have the floor, while you have the victory!!!!!!!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by omogenaija(f): 12:07am On May 02, 2007
dont try to please her angry
ur marrying her brother not her,
dont think bout it ; as long as u make ur husband happy u have nothing to worry about

i dont know wat is wrong with ur sister in-law anyways, abi she wan marry her brother
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by Cool: 12:26am On May 02, 2007
doubletree:

let it be seen especially to your mum in law that you are making an effort.

Good talk.

Call her and if she tells you she's busy, be calm and end the conversation nicely.
Next day, call your mum-in-law and while talking with her, just mention in passing that you called Sister Bleep y'day but she was busy then. Don't complain about her attitude at all. Repeat the process about 2 other times but on the 3rd occassion, request your mum-in-law to pleeeeaaassee remind her to call you when she's freer. Thereafter, if she doesn't call you, just call her once a while until everyone settles in because you both will settle to a rhythm at some point in time.

You've shown a lot of wisdom by calling her sister as she prefers.

Enjoy the game!  wink
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by Ndipe(m): 12:36am On May 02, 2007
Girl, you have to assert yourself, and dont let that girl walk over you. If you are willing to cave into her childish demands, then be prepared for a confrontation in your matrimonial home, when "aunty" starts ordering you around the house, dictating to you, on what dishes to prepare for your husband, the quantity of salt and pepper to add for rice and stew, and all that. You really need to stand up and put and end to this demands. If she does not like you, after you have extended the welcome mat for her, well, that is HER problem, not yours.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by free2ryhme: 3:35am On May 02, 2007
e no hard poison her abi u get another option?

1 Like

Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by spoilt(f): 4:20am On May 02, 2007
you dont need to be mean back. but just a reminder: you are marrying her brother, not her!
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by titilayomi(f): 5:33am On May 02, 2007
Thanks for all the replies, i'll take your advice and call her this evening, i bet she'd be ''busy and will call me back later as usual''. But i'll do as cool advised
Cool:

Next day, call your mum-in-law and while talking with her, just mention in passing that you called Sister Bleep y'day but she was busy then. Don't complain about her attitude at all. Repeat the process about 2 other times but on the 3rd occassion, request your mum-in-law to pleeeeaaassee remind her to call you when she's freer. Thereafter, if she doesn't call you, just call her once a while until everyone settles in because you both will settle to a rhythm at some point in time.

Thanks y'all again, i'll keep you posted .
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by Oseka: 9:33am On May 02, 2007
Keep trying,she'll open up to u, and its best to be on the same page with her, since she'll be ur future sis in law, so try all u can to be her pal.wish u luck.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by efuah(f): 9:38am On May 02, 2007
Dearest one, kindly focus on your man and the part of his family that appreciates you.
in every thing, you will by all means get an oppositon party, so don't worry. it's a nutural thing.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by abdulizom(m): 10:56am On May 02, 2007
be hard to her too, that is the only way she will be cool with u any other way will amount to nonsense. this is 4rm my experience, when my girl was not finding it easy with younger sister, we try to please her but she never bend.when we use hard 4 hard she became her close friend now. she may be doing that because u are cool 4 her

1 Like

Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by Nobody: 11:31am On May 02, 2007
It looks to me like you really send this girl a lot, on top of all this embarrassment. I trust myself i will just be acting like she does not exist, let her do her worst and am sure the lil brat cant do nothing, she is probably just an empty vessel.Just take it easy girl and once you are sure your man really loves you then the spoilt brat is negligible. Am so glad my boyfriend has got no sisters.

1 Like

Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by Tobiegal(f): 11:53am On May 02, 2007
aysometin:

Am so glad my boyfriend has got no sisters.

Dats so funnie?! grin

Antways, jst be u geri, fashie d chic n her ways, u say she also has a fiancee, wel guess wot? she get wot she's dishing out in d nastiest way ever>>>
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by fashlak(f): 12:36pm On May 02, 2007
wonder why you are giving yourself hypertension over what is not, u have called her first second third time , she promised to call back, she didnt , and still u want to call her again, shy do u all add sentiments to things , just bone her, stop the call , infact dont call her for 3months, u will see she will be the one calling u. as for me o, i wont take dat from her NEVER. or maybe she feeling you are forcing yourself to her bros , you said she has her own fiancee, so why is she jealous?
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by flakey94: 12:53pm On May 02, 2007
How are you doing?

There are two things you should remember as an african woman ,
1. When it comes to in-laws; you can't win.

2. Go with the flow; call her whatever she wants as long as there is peace between the two of you, this shoul not be a problem sinc she is older than you anyway.
I have been married for 4 years and my husband and i dated for about 10 years and believe me a lot happened in that time.

Trust me you will definitely see a drastic change if you comply.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by nossycheek(f): 4:35pm On May 02, 2007
Just be yourself. If you have the kinds of sisters-in-law I have, you wouldn't bother calling her. Even if you wash her panties, the hatred will remain. Just maintain your peace, don't exchange bitter words, call sister this or that if she is your senior and nothing beyond that unless you want to start taking orders and bullshit from her. A word is enough
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by Everbright(f): 4:47pm On May 02, 2007
fashlak:

wonder why you are giving yourself hypertension over what is not, u have called her first second third time , she promised to call back, she didnt , and still u want to call her again, shy do u all add sentiments to things , just bone her, stop the call , infact don't call her for 3months, u will see she will be the one calling u. as for me o, i wont take that from her NEVER. or maybe she feeling you are forcing yourself to her bros , you said she has her own fiancee, so why is she jealous?
wonder why she's stressing herself
very soon she'll get engaged and face thesame music
what goes around comes around
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by Rodent: 4:53pm On May 02, 2007
Babe, the onus is on your bloke to take control of this situation. This is an all too common scenerio in NG relationships, sisters lording itover future and incumbent sisters-in-law. Your partner has to put his family in check, yes we all want the 'they lived happily ever after' story but it isnt a reality for all.
He has to realise that his priorities automatically shift from sister and mother to you and let the others know where the line is drawn. A line that shouldnt be crossed especially when it leads to disrespecting one's missus

1 Like

Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by opuro(m): 5:11pm On May 02, 2007
maybe becos she know u.
   you know women are funny animals u never know where u are with them. women have more moods than an army of cats have life.
   all these u sis inlaw knows that is why.  SHE NO TRUST U

1 Like

Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by bibilari(f): 8:17pm On May 02, 2007
Dear dear, Well What can i say but that it is well. You can never satisfy her so please dont try , i mean dont try , she is a woman anyway so what goes around comes around, she will also get married lets see if she will do better with her inlaws abi. ANyway girl keep being yourself, you cannot decide to be some one else because of her . If you keep trying to please her, she 'll end up
bossing you all you married life . Anyway all the best in with your Hubby .
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by laudate: 8:32pm On May 02, 2007
Cool:
Quote from: Cool on Today at 12:26:35 AM

Best advice, ever! In fact, follow-up the calls with nice, short text messages. Make sure you also copy your fiance's mum & other sisters, too.

When your fiance's younger sister says that you didn't call her, just smile & tell her politely, that:
"Ah, but I did now! I also followed it up with a text, when I couldn't reach you.  I even sent similar texts on that same day, to Mama and Sis. X. Or have you forgotten?"

Make sure you have an audience, when you are doing it. Then calmly whip out your phone, scroll to the 'messages sent' folder & pick out the text that has her name on it. Show it to those around. Simple. Sense no dey finish for this world, make we come dey find am go heaven. Na proverb, my people.
Re: My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please by sherri(f): 10:21pm On May 02, 2007
why do u need to please her?
treat her like u would treat ur own difficult sister, how she reacts is not in ur control.
a beg, just be urself! all the best for nuptials

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should A Lady Marry A Man Who Is Jobless? / Super Sugar Daddies(ssd) / Ghanaian Lady Commits Suicide After Catching Her Mum With Her Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.