Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,867 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (98) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1577227 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by SeanT21(f): 8:46pm On Oct 25, 2011
Paradise!

Those Beach pictures are my place to be!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 8:45pm On Oct 28, 2011
SeanT21:

Paradise!

Those Beach pictures are my place to be!

Same here. wink
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 8:58pm On Oct 28, 2011
Central Province

[B]Limuru - Kiambu County[/B]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 9:02pm On Oct 28, 2011
[B]Cattle ranch - Kieni, Nyeri County.[/B]

Another ranch with the Aberdare mountains in the background.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 9:04pm On Oct 28, 2011
Kimathi University - Nyeri County

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:17am On Oct 30, 2011
Nakuru race track - Rift Valley(1958-1962)

By martinw.dixon, Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24550621@N06/sets/72157623380211294/

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by darrensy: 9:08am On Oct 30, 2011
They are now very civilized and I could say that they are now progressive.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by darrensy: 9:11am On Oct 30, 2011
I could say that they are now competitive because of their further civilization.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 11:23am On Nov 01, 2011
Damn what were u doing at our cattle ranch? lol I will demand a fee.
Murungaru is just there you know.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:45pm On Nov 01, 2011
darrensy:

They are now very civilized and I could say that they are now progressive.

darrensy:

I could say that they are now competitive because of their further civilization.

Thanks for the comment but I dont quite understand you.

pendo89:

Damn what were u doing at our cattle ranch? lol I will demand a fee.
Murungaru is just there you know.

I think its legal from the side of the road.Lol If knew Murungaru was there I would have gone in for some fresh yogurt. wink
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:46pm On Nov 01, 2011
[B]Hell's Gate National Park - Naivasha,Rift Valley[/B]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:52pm On Nov 01, 2011
Naivasha Sopa Lodge

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 7:48pm On Nov 01, 2011
gallivant:

I think its legal from the side of the road.Lol If knew Murungaru was there I would have gone in for some fresh yogurt. wink

jifunze kulenga watu wenye wivu. Ni uchokozi tu.

no worries.of course its not a crime.That road goes all the way to a place called Kimaahuri.The last village before Mt.Kenya. Plenty of food there cabbages and carrots are fed to elephants.
kris runs Amboni Dairy Farm there. Sorry u missed the yoghurt.Those must be his cows I believe.They supply semen to Zambia, Malawi,US, Canada and Newzealand.
Kids come to the farm for field trips.

Unatoa wapi hizi picha jamani.Wewe ni mtalii?
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 02, 2011
First of all I love your shanzu beach pics.When were you there?I actually come from serena estate just behind the shopping centre and you take the road to pangoni apartments and when am at home I go to that beach every evening.
And you should be employed by KTB you are doing a better job than they are!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:19pm On Nov 05, 2011
pendo89:

jifunze kulenga watu wenye wivu. Ni uchokozi tu.

no worries.of course its not a crime.That road goes all the way to a place called Kimaahuri.The last village before Mt.Kenya. Plenty of food there cabbages and carrots are fed to elephants.
kris runs Amboni Dairy Farm there. Sorry u missed the yoghurt.Those must be his cows I believe.They supply Fluid to Zambia, Malawi,US, Canada and Newzealand.
Kids come to the farm for field trips.

Unatoa wapi hizi picha jamani.Wewe ni mtalii?

Usijali,nitawalenga tu and thanks for the infor.Maybe next time nikiwa hiyo region nitachukua picha za Kimaahuri.Hizi picha ni zangu na zingine mimi natoa flickr.com au photobucket.com.Karibu kupost picha hapa nahitaji usaidizi saa zingine na La,mimi sio mtalii,most of the time. wink

GERALD710:

First of all I love your shanzu beach pics.When were you there?I actually come from serena estate just behind the shopping centre and you take the road to pangoni apartments and when am at home I go to that beach every evening.
And you should be employed by KTB you are doing a better job than they are!

Asante sana ndungu.Nilikuwa shanzu siku chache ziliopita.Dude hukona bahati unaishi karibu na beach,I envy you.Anyways karibu Nairaland.I dont work for KTB although wanafaa kunilipa,au sio? cool
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:36pm On Nov 05, 2011
The barley farms north of Nanyuki - Central Kenya

Now you know where your Tusker comes from. wink
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:39pm On Nov 05, 2011
Tea Country,Kericho - Rift Valley

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:02pm On Nov 09, 2011
[B] Nairobi National Park[/B]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:03pm On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:05pm On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:19am On Nov 11, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:21am On Nov 11, 2011
Parliament

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:02am On Nov 13, 2011

[/url]
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:06am On Nov 13, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:13am On Nov 13, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:19pm On Nov 14, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:21pm On Nov 14, 2011
Kijabe Street

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:29pm On Nov 14, 2011
Historic Nairobi-Listed Landmarks

Nairobi City Hall

The old Nairobi Town hall was a wood and iron one-storey building at the junction of Goverment Road (now Moi Avenue) and Delamere Avenue (now Kenyatta Avenue) The Second Home of the Municipal Authority which it occupied from 1913 to 1923 was a wood and Iron building near Moi Avenue.

A new town hall was built and completed in 1934 at an estimated cost of £30,000. The new Town hall was opened in the same week as the Law Courts, opposite it, during the Silver Jubilee Celebrations in May 1935. After substancial growth of the city, it was decided that the council needed more spacious and permanent accomodation.

Construction of a new complex commenced in 1950 and was completed in 1957 when it was officially opened. Until the opening of the Kenyatta International Conference Center (KICC), City Hall provided all the necessary facilities for confrences in Nairobi. The clock tower, and impressive 165ft high landmark, was the tallest building in Nairobi in 1957. The need for further expansion continued to be felt both for office and accomodation and services to the residents. In 1981, the Nairobi City Council completed a further 13 storey City hall Annexe to meet these needs [nairobicity.org]
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:57pm On Nov 16, 2011
Kipande House, Kenyatta Avenue

Kipande House was built in 1913. It was originally a warehouse used by coolies right next to the Kenya-Uganda railway line which passed where Loita street is located today.

Designed by Gurdit Singh, the one-storey affair that still sports its ubiquitous quirky tower was Kenya’s tallest building until City Hall was opened in 1935, starring a 165ft tower clock.

Kipande House now houses the Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB). As is the case with all historical buildings on Kenyatta Avenue, it has maintained its timeless looks, ageing gracefully since KCB — which started in Zanzibar as the National Bank of India in 1895 — commissioned its architect Derek Fialt to restore it, which accounts for its hand-dressed masonry finish. Triad Architects worked the interiors in 2003.

As its name suggests, Kipande House was where Africans acquired their ID cards (kipande) during the colonial period.

The IDs were hang around the neck, like cowbells. So were the Indian rupee coins — then Kenya’s official currency — with holes at the centre so they could be threaded on a cord and suspended around the neck since Africans mostly wore shukas.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:59pm On Nov 16, 2011
Standard Chartered Bank, Kenyatta Avenue

Standard Chartered Bank opened its branches in Kenya in January 1911, with 2 branches; one at Treasury Square in Mombasa and the other on Kenyatta Avenue in Nairobi (the building in the pic). Today, 100 years later, the Bank has an excellent franchise, with a network of 28 branches strategically located across the country, 58 Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) and 1,040 employees. Standard Chartered Bank has remained a public quoted company on the Nairobi Stock Exchange since 1989.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:13pm On Nov 17, 2011
Nairobi National Museum.

The Museum was initiated in 1910 by the then East Africa and Uganda Natural History Society [currently the East African Natural History Society (EANHS)]. The group consisted mainly of colonial settlers and naturalists who needed a place to keep and preserve their collections of various specimens. Its first site was at the present Nyayo House in the Nairobi city centre. The site soon became small and a larger building was put up in 1922 where the Nairobi Serena Hotel now stands.

In 1929, the colonial government set aside land at the Museum Hill and construction work started at the current site. It was officially opened in Sept. 22 1930 and named Coryndon Museum in honour of Sir Robert Coryndon, one time Governor of Kenya and a staunch supporter of Uganda Natural History Society. On the attainment of independence in 1963, it was re-named the National Museum of Kenya (NMK).

On October 15th 2005, previous Nairobi Museum closed its doors to the public for an extensive modernization and expansion project that is now complete. The outcome is impressive; the Nairobi Museum has been transformed into a magnificent piece of architecture that puts it in competition with other world class museums.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:15pm On Nov 17, 2011
State House.

State House is the official residence of the President of Kenya. It was originally known as Government House. This building was built in 1907 in Nairobi to serve as the official residence of the Governor of British East Africa when Kenya was a British Colony. The governor would conduct his official functions at the old Provincial Commissioner’s office (now a national monument) next to Nyayo House and then retire to Government House for the day.

After independence, Government House was renamed State House. Although it remained the official residence of the Head of State, in practice it became an administrative or operational office occasionally providing accommodation to visiting State guests and receptions on National Days.

State House in Nairobi stands on a 3 square kilometre piece of land. It is a 10 minute drive from the city centre. Other than the Nairobi one, there are other State Houses and Lodges scattered around the country to provide accommodation to the Head of State whenever he is touring various parts of the country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.