Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! (932 Views)

Finally, Jonathan Declares Interest In 2015 Election / Boko Haram: Jonathan Declares Full-scale War ,deploys Warplanes / Jonathan Declares Support For National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 15, 2010
Dear compatriots, four months ago, providence placed me at the leadership of our dear country, following the untimely death of our dear former President, my brother and leader, President Umaru Musa Yar’adua. It was a very solemn and trying moment for me personally and for the country as a whole. My immediate task and priority was and , still remains to give the nation purposeful leadership and to focus on the priorities of our administration in order to maintain national peace and stability and pursue our key development priorities. In these few months as leader of the country, I have concentrated on managing the affairs of the nation, and resisted all efforts to respond to the drums of partisan politics which have been sounding very loud across the land. As President and leader of government, I decided not to place partisan politics above the immediate needs and priorities of our people. I came under intense pressure to make a declaration concerning my political future, but declined to do so because that would have immediately distracted us from all the development initiatives we have accomplished so far. I therefore told Nigerians to give me time to concentrate on my work and that at the appropriate time I would make a public statement on my political future after due consultations with all the segments and leaders of our nation.

Today, I confirm that after wide and thorough consultations spanning the six geo-political zones that make up Nigeria, with members of my family, my party, the opposition, civil society, the Private Sector, members of the Labour Unions, religious leaders, youths and student groups and our revered traditional institutions, I Goodluck Ebele Jonathan by the grace of God hereby offer myself and my services to the Nigerian people as a candidate for the office of President in the forth coming 2011 elections.

In presenting myself for service, I make no pretense that I have a magic wand that will solve all of Nigeria’s problems or that I am the most intelligent Nigerian. Far from it. What I do promise is this – If I am elected President in 2011, I will make a covenant with you the Nigerian people to always do right by you, to tell you the truth at all times, to carry you along and most importantly to listen to you, fellow citizens in our communities and also those of you on this page. I do not want to win your affections by giving you promises of things I would do in the future which others before me have given and which have largely been unfulfilled. Rather, I would want you to judge me by my records. Since God Almighty and yourselves permitted me to serve you in the present capacity, I have busied myself with setting Nigeria on the path of peace and progress.

My team and I made no promises on adequate fuel supply in Nigeria. We simply did what was expected of those who govern, we delivered it, and you are living witnesses to that. We made no promise to revamp the textile industry. We delivered a bailout package worth 150 billion naira that is being dispensed as I write. We made no promises of securing the highest U.S Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) aviation clearance, the Category 1 Certificate which enables Nigerian registered airlines to fly to ANY U.S city. We delivered. We made no promise to give Nigeria a brand new INEC under a proven God-fearing and incorruptible leader. We placed Nigeria first and delivered. We made no promises of protecting your loans, deposits and investments in the banking industry over and beyond what is covered under the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Scheme. We delivered it via AMCON. Rather than tell you what we could do to improve power, this administration demonstrated it by initiating a brand new national Super Grid as well as launching a concrete Road Map to the Power Sector with realistic goals tied to realistic dates. I understand from some of your mails that there has been some small improvements in electricity supply in some communities. We met an economy that was beginning to slow due to the global recession. Today, the economy has verifiably grown by 7% this half year ending in June.

I know you are tired of empty promises, so I will make only one promise to you today. The only promise I make to you my friends, fellow citizens and Nigeria, is to promise LESS and deliver MORE if I am elected. I call on you to join me to work together in harmony and synergy to forge a nation where we understand our differences instead of pretending they do not exist and work towards a perfect union founded on transparency, equity and justice. A nation that is on her way to repairing her International reputation and project to the world that things have changed and the people of Nigeria have now taken Nigeria back from a few into the hands of her people who are eager, very eager to pull her weight in the forward movement of the African continent and the world in the pursuit of peace, prosperity and happiness.

I will by the special grace of God be making a formal declaration to this effect at the Eagle’s Square, Abuja, on Saturday 18 September 2011.

I call on you my friends on this page and all Nigerians to give me your support and prayers so that together we can liberate our country from the confines and self –inflicted wounds and limitations of the past.

My dear friends and fellow citizens, to borrow an often used slogan by our youths, please join me in proclaiming: Forward Ever, Backward Never! Please let us all unite across tongue and creed to move our long suffering nation forward together. I thank you and may God bless our country Nigeria. GEJ
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by clemiss(m): 11:42am On Sep 15, 2010
Oh!with all my hart I support him.
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by IkeM3: 12:02pm On Sep 15, 2010
If you want to see your country do better
contribute your little quota to putting the right person in power,
the rewards is more than you can imagine.
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by steroid: 12:14pm On Sep 15, 2010
A wish come through.

He already had my support before now.

Wishing him all the best.
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 15, 2010
GEJ, u can have my support and that of my family members plus including my relatives multiplied by those of my friends and even foes grin cheesy.
Will be praying for ur victory.
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by marvix(m): 12:54pm On Sep 15, 2010
Goodluck is the man for 2011, all those looking for his achievements kindly read thru his message and you will find them there.

This is no time for wishful thinking of how Ribadu or Rufai or Utomi can become president, This is the time of action and Action to deliver the man Goodluck Ebele Jonathan as president.

He has all it takes to win comfortably, the rigging machine we all hate is under his care, the treasury that has always been used to our disadvantage at elction times is in his kitty, the biggest party in Africa moves at his whims, The ND that has neva produced a president is producing him.

If he has made fuel scarcity history in less than nine months as president one wonders what he would do to blackouts after two years as president.

Nigerians if we have given IBB a chance b4 where he failed us, Obj got two chances, Buhari had his chance let GEJ have his own chance come 2011!

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by playmode(m): 1:03pm On Sep 15, 2010
Mr President, you have touched me today with this excellent speech. Your declaration was humble, straight forward and encouraging. I like the part where you said you did not have a magic wand or claim to the most intelligent Nigerian. Those are words coming from a very humble man.

That being said Mr President, i have never been your supporter because i have always believed that you belong to the PDP (party of crooks ) and will probably play by their rules. However you seem to be the only one of the few presidential candidates that we can trust.

I am not sure if you have heard of “Nigerian Union of South Africa” based in South Africa. I happen to be an active member of the Gauteng chapter of that organization. For months now we have been sitting on the fence not sure who to support in the forthcoming elections. Your declaration speech has changed everything now. I believe that myself and my colleagues in the union will be glad to support you all the way at this stage.

Mr President i will only like to beg you for one thing. Please do not disappoint, we know that Nigeria’s problem can not be solved by one person but transparent corruption free leadership will go a long way in making us trust you more and support your government. We are not expecting you to turn Nigeria into a paradise in 4 years but we are expecting you to do your honest best and kill the virus of corruption in our nation. You should get rid of the Old cargos in government ,there are many young Nigerians(by young I mean under the age of R35) who are capable of performing better than the older generation.

I wish you the best Mr President, May GOD bless NIGERIA.
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by playmode(m): 1:09pm On Sep 15, 2010
marvix:

Goodluck is the man for 2011, all those looking for his achievements kindly read thru his message and you will find them there.

This is no time for wishful thinking of how Ribadu or Rufai or Utomi can become president, This is the time of action and Action to deliver the man Goodluck Ebele Jonathan as president.

He has all it takes to win comfortably, the rigging machine we all hate is under his care, the treasury that has always been used to our disadvantage at elction times is in his kitty, the biggest party in Africa moves at his whims, The ND that has neva produced a president is producing him.

If he has made fuel scarcity history in less than nine months as president one wonders what he would do to blackouts after two years as president.

Nigerians if we have given IBB a chance b4 where he failed us, Obj got two chances, Buhari had his chance let GEJ have his own chance come 2011!

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria

Which party is the biggest party in Africa ? PDP undecided

Please don't make such assumptions,PDP is no where near the biggest party in Africa.There are several parties in Africa which have existed for over 15 years and they are way bigger than the PDP.
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by Beaf: 1:11pm On Sep 15, 2010
My team and I made no promises on adequate fuel supply in Nigeria. We simply did what was expected of those who govern, we delivered it, and you are living witnesses to that. We made no promise to revamp the textile industry. We delivered a bailout package worth 150 billion naira that is being dispensed as I write. We made no promises of securing the highest U.S Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) aviation clearance, the Category 1 Certificate which enables Nigerian registered airlines to fly to ANY U.S city. We delivered. We made no promise to give Nigeria a brand new INEC under a proven God-fearing and incorruptible leader. We placed Nigeria first and delivered. We made no promises of protecting your loans, deposits and investments in the banking industry over and beyond what is covered under the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Scheme. We delivered it via AMCON. Rather than tell you what we could do to improve power, this administration demonstrated it by initiating a brand new national Super Grid as well as launching a concrete Road Map to the Power Sector with realistic goals tied to realistic dates. I understand from some of your mails that there has been some small improvements in electricity supply in some communities. We met an economy that was beginning to slow due to the global recession. Today, the economy has verifiably grown by 7% this half year ending in June.

What more can be added? A humble man and a silent achiever.
[size=33pt]Goodluck Nigeria![/size]
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by Kx: 1:18pm On Sep 15, 2010
macfarland:

I came under intense pressure to make a declaration concerning my political future, but declined to do so because that would have immediately distracted us from all the[b] development initiatives we have accomplished so far. [/b]

My team and I made no promises on adequate fuel supply in Nigeria. We simply did what was expected of those who govern, we delivered it, and you are living witnesses to that.We made no promises of securing the highest U.S Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) aviation clearance, the Category 1 Certificate which enables Nigerian registered airlines to fly to ANY U.S city. We delivered. We made no promise to give Nigeria a brand new INEC under a proven God-fearing and incorruptible leader. We placed Nigeria first and delivered. We made no promises of protecting your loans, deposits and investments in the banking industry over and beyond what is covered under the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Scheme. We delivered it via AMCON. Rather than tell you what we could do to improve power, this administration demonstrated it by initiating a brand new national Super Grid as well as launching a concrete Road Map to the Power Sector with realistic goals tied to realistic dates. I understand from some of your mails that there has been some small improvements in electricity supply in some communities. We met an economy that was beginning to slow due to the global recession. Today, the economy has verifiably grown by 7% this half year ending in June.The only promise I make to you my friends, fellow citizens and Nigeria, is to promise LESS and deliver MORE if I am elected,

Simply shocked.
What accomplishements is GEJ talking about?
Which 7% growth in the economy is he refereing to.?
Accomplishment includes fuel distribution?
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by maddock(m): 1:19pm On Sep 15, 2010
Nice one coming from GEJ,i guess you sre getting my vote too.
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by naso2(m): 2:08pm On Sep 15, 2010
ol boy see yans. kai . oya wey dem?

[size=58pt]GOODLUCK NIGERIA[/size]
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by orangemen: 2:27pm On Sep 15, 2010
GEJ, is it not better u don't come saying all these? are u for sure asking for our support? why have u not declared this intention to run since? how is this hide and seek approach different from what obj did in his pursuit for third term agenda?

the truth is that you have done the necessary things ( getting the support of the owner of nigeria - OBJ and choosing the inec chairman -Jega) so wether we vote u or not, u are the next president.

if i were u, i will begin now to ask myself, wat goals/targets and how will history remember me afterwards.

my candid suggestion is that u come out of ur shelves and make yourself man of his own and take bold steps in making relevant decissions.

remember, to whom much is given, much is expected. in the past, criminals and offenders have not been punished and even when they are, punishments are not wat they shld be.

pdp has since 1999 created a very suspicious atmosphere in this country where known criminals are made kingmakers and public offenders and criminals are left unpunished.

we are watching but as long as u remain attached to obasanjo, i am not expecting much from u.
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by pheesayor(m): 2:28pm On Sep 15, 2010
just saw this on his facebook page. With all he has said, and all he's been doing so far he seems serious. According to an online poll, 79% of Nigerians want him to run. He might just get my vote, still watching.

http://pheesayor..com
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by marvix(m): 3:47pm On Sep 15, 2010
playmode:

Which party is the biggest party in Africa ? PDP undecided

Please don't make such assumptions,PDP is no where near the biggest party in Africa.There are several parties in Africa which have existed for over 15 years and they are way bigger than the PDP.

Is that the only portion of my reply that made sense to you?

Since we are on the same side let me excuse you and withdraw my assertion, hence one of the biggest parties in Africa is at his whims,

Kx:

Simply shocked.
What accomplishements is GEJ talking about?
Which 7% growth in the economy is he refereing to.?
Accomplishment includes fuel distribution?

@Kx u will always remain shocked even till after the elections. If you are blind to see and immature to perceive all that Goodluck is doing then u can go and sit in the cemetary and wait for the elections to be over.
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 15, 2010
I will comment on this declaration after Saturday. We will take all this trash he has mentioned here to the cleaners if he seriously calls these achievements.

What does it take for a Government to make petrol available?. GEJ likes to talk about how he has made petrol available but will never tell us what he did differently to make that happen.

For all we know Patience Jonathan or someone in her family could be trading in importation of petrol. Nigeria's money could be used to fund this importation while the profits accruing from the sales and distribution are going into private accounts instead of Federal purse.

What will be an achievement is if he can tell us that these are the strategic steps we have taken at local refining of crude to produce petrol. As such 1 Litre of Petrol is now less than N100; We are building local refineries or have compelled Oil companies to refine crude locally and as such we have created more oil industry jobs for more Nigerians.

But to say hey people have more petrol to buy and hence that is a sustainable energy policy or some kind of achievement. I will say that is a shameless announcement of half-baked achievement by a man who has  no clue.
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by CareTaker1(m): 7:27pm On Sep 15, 2010
Congratulations your excellency, you are the president beyond 2011,
we are solidly behind you.

God Bless Nigeria!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GodBlessNigeria
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by Fhemmmy: 9:57pm On Sep 15, 2010
I wish him the best in the run . . . . Hope will make a better nation
Re: Finally, Goodluck Jonathan Declares For 2011 Presidential Election! by Kx: 2:17pm On Sep 16, 2010
marvix:

@Kx u will always remain shocked even till after the elections. If you are blind to see and immature to perceive all that Goodluck is doing then u can go and sit in the cemetary and wait for the elections to be over.

Marvix I wont engage in a war of words with u but if GEJ is listing f[b]uel distribution in 2010 as his achievement for the 6th oil producing nation of the universe [/b] and you are singing his praises to high heavens, no comment.

(1) (Reply)

Inec Planned To De-register Non-funtional Political Parties / Cbn Governor Sanusi: Cut President, Govs’ Tenure (words Of Wisdom) / Hightened Insecurity In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.