Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,309 members, 7,780,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:57 PM

Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 (24135 Views)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 1:51pm On Sep 27, 2010
aaidel:

hausa's are quite different from fulani the hausa are those people that are indigenous to the northern part of nigeria commonly referred to as maguzawa by the fulani's because they worshiped idols or were atheists while the fulani like said above migrated from God knows where. the fulani have their own language which is quite distinct from hausa and are well known tribalists many up till this day refuse to marry from outside their tribe even hausas

I know, that's why I listed the criteria I used.

Obiagu1:

Mostly language, including all its varieties, that’s the number priority; then culture, similar or related but not total.

Lineage and common migration counts but not a priority because people always infuse and diffuse from an ethnic group.

Defined territory (contiguous or in close proximity) counts too, hence Hausa/Fulani can’t be separated. Nomads like Fulani are known to be very migratory and are scattered everywhere in West and Central Africa, though they retain their culture and language and mostly maintain their distinctness.

Trade and marriage do not count.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ChinenyeN(m): 4:09pm On Sep 27, 2010
Obiagu1, so you mean to say that simply occupying contiguous or close proximity of land automatically negates your other criteria?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by aaidel(m): 7:11pm On Sep 27, 2010
so you mean all the people in the west are regarded as yoruba irrespective of their tribe or language they speak?/
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 7:31pm On Sep 27, 2010
aaidel:

so you mean all the people in the west are regarded as yoruba irrespective of their tribe or language they speak?/

Not really, unlike the East where you'll find many other smaller ethnic groups, the west in mainly Yoruba except Ondo that have some Ijaw, Igbirra, and Edo people.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by aaidel(m): 8:49pm On Sep 27, 2010
ok so if i'm born and live in the east then that means i'm counted as igbo?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ChinenyeN(m): 10:55pm On Sep 27, 2010
aaidel, you could be oversimplifying Obiagu1's already overly simplistic approach.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by aaidel(m): 11:11pm On Sep 27, 2010
thats the point i'm just trying to show how impractical his criteria is for deifining ethnicity
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 11:18pm On Sep 27, 2010
aaidel:

ok so if i'm born and live in the east then that means i'm counted as igbo?

No, not exactly easy and straightforward like that.

These days, movement is so easy and I don’t know how ethnicity will be classified in a century’s time, the mixing is so rapid.  I based my listing on who we were at the time of amalgamation in 1914.

Earlier when movement was not rapid and frequent, some groups get slowly absorbed into another group that’s why I said there’s always infusion and diffuse from an ethnic group. There are some groups in Igboland that migrated to Igboland from somewhere else, lost their original culture, adopted Igbo culture and Igbo language as their first language and are now 100% Igbos.
Also, I know of an Igbo people in Isoko who are now Isoko. They lost their original Igbo culture and language and Igbos don’t see them as Igbos anymore though people still know their heritage.

My understanding is that, like it is in Europe, if you were born in Igboland, lose your original culture and cut any relationship with your people, adopt Igbo culture and language, I’ll say get Igbonised, you’ll be classified as Igbo but if one wants to make a distinction, might say an Igbo of Yoruba/Igalla etc heritage.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ezeagu(m): 11:24pm On Sep 27, 2010
Obiagu1:

No, not exactly easy and straightforward like that.

These days, movement is so easy and I don’t know how ethnicity will be classified in a century’s time, the mixing is so rapid.  I based my listing on who we were at the time of amalgamation in 1914.

Earlier when movement was not rapid and frequent, some groups get slowly absorbed into another group that’s why I said there’s always infusion and diffuse from an ethnic group. There are some groups in Igboland that migrated to Igboland from somewhere else, lost their original culture, adopted Igbo culture and Igbo language as their first language and are now 100% Igbos.
Also, I know of an Igbo people in Isoko who are now Isoko. They lost their original Igbo culture and language and Igbos don’t see them as Igbos anymore though people still know their heritage.

My understanding is that, like it is in Europe, if you were born in Igboland, lose your original culture and cut any relationship with your people, adopt Igbo culture and language, I’ll say get Igbonised, you’ll be classified as Igbo but if one wants to make a distinction, might say an Igbo of Yoruba/Igalla etc heritage.

But someone already explained that the Hausa and Fulani see themselves as separate groups, especially the Fulani. Are you saying that the Hausa are absorbing the Fulani, or that they're creating a new ethnic group? Because from Nigeria's politics they're not.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 11:33pm On Sep 27, 2010
ezeagu:

But someone already explained that the Hausa and Fulani see themselves as separate groups, especially the Fulani. Are you saying that the Hausa are absorbing the Fulani, or that they're creating a new ethnic group? Because from Nigeria's politics they're not.

I understand that the Fulanis are not indigenous to Nigeria so they have no territory that’s solely theirs. They get infused slowly into Hausa group but people, including me, always make sure to say Hausa/Fulani to show that the distinction is still there. In some cases, there’s no distinction from Hausas especially those that settled in towns but the migratory ones are completely distinct from Hausa.

Fulani’s case is peculiar, one can chose to separate them from Hausa but often prefer to group them as Hausa/Fulani including in politics.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by aaidel(m): 12:17am On Sep 28, 2010
but it doesnt automatically make them one ethnic group say you have a friend that you do everything together with to the extent that people start saying he is your brother but that doesnt make it so if it did then i could as well declare my extended family as a different ethnic group
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Obiagu1(m): 12:19am On Sep 28, 2010
It's not analogous.

The only distinction actually comes from nomadic Fulanis, apart from them, there's basically no difference between an Hausa and a Fulani (those that settled in a town).

You can choose to separate the two, but in Nigerian politics, the two groups have never being separated because you can barely tell the difference. I'm not the first to say Hausa/Fulani, you know that.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by aaidel(m): 2:30am On Sep 28, 2010
of course there is the fact that you dont know enough of the two cultures to separate them doesnt mean there isnt and my point is just because people term them as one doesnt make them one
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by chic2pimp(m): 2:34am On Nov 02, 2010
You list Itsekiris as Yorubas, yet you fail to do the same with the Igalas. Why, I ask?

. . . . And BTW, the Hausas and Fulanis are two different tribes.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ezeagu(m): 10:38pm On Nov 02, 2010
chic2pimp:

You list Itsekiris as Yorubas, yet you fail to do the same with the Igalas. Why, I ask?

. . . . And BTW, the Hausas and Fulanis are two different tribes.

Igala are not descended from the Yoruba.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by vicenzo(m): 5:42pm On Nov 17, 2010
@ezeagu.Igala are descendants of who?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Omenani(m): 12:04am On Nov 18, 2010
I still consider the Fulani in the north a separate group. They do not consider themselves Hausa, but Fulani, Fulfude or Peula in their native language.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ezeagu(m): 1:56am On Nov 18, 2010
vicenzo:

@ezeagu.Igala are descendants of who?

Igala are partly descendants of the Nri-Igbo.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by TewMuch: 5:07am On Nov 18, 2010
^
I think Igala are kind of like the itshekiri and Yoruba.Have u heard them speak? Don't confuse settlers in Igbo land with origins.I think Igala are a sub group of Yoruba that over time mixed with Igbo.They are not descended from any Nri
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Tsiya(m): 9:36pm On Nov 18, 2010
Fulbe (Fulani as they are called by Hausa) are not the same with Hausa. The only thing common between the 2 is the religion Islam. There are large Fulbe community in Guinea Conakry (of which they are the majority and Hausa doesn't exist there), Senegal (a very large proportion), Mali, Niger, Cameroon. These Fulani community exist without the hausa communities. The large majority of Fulani, particularly those in the North Eastern part of Nigeria (Gombe, Adamaw & Taraba) don't want to be called Hausa and the population of Fulani is more than that of indigenous Hausa people there.

For the sake of political convinience, the Hausa and Fulani can be grouped, but for classification purpose, they cannot be grouped. Their language is not even similar other than the common Islamic words or some few words borrowed from each other. A typical example is that in Fulani language there is no gender distinction but hausa have complete distinction.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ezeagu(m): 11:53pm On Nov 18, 2010
TewMuch:

^
I think Igala are kind of like the itshekiri and Yoruba.Have u heard them speak? Don't confuse settlers in Igbo land with origins.I think Igala are a sub group of Yoruba that over time mixed with Igbo.They are not descended from any Nri

I know what I'm talking about. The royal family of Idah, the capital of Igala was founded by someone from Nri.

[center][img]http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RyUvAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA72&img=1&pgis=1&dq=%22The+Atta+of+Idah+was+of+the+Eri+stock+and+had+Igbo+origin.%22&sig=ACfU3U3V-tbTod9j9tLDrnGmepSwsZj33Q&edge=0[/img][/center]

http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=Ra7lTOHrBsqxhAea6vXFDA&ct=result&id=RyUvAAAAYAAJ

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ijawcitizen(m): 8:45pm On Sep 11, 2012
afam4eva: When did Edo become a language? I only know of Bini, etsako etc.
mr Afam, some of ur posts are really irritating. this is a thread for ethnic nations not languages, an ethnic nation may speak more than one language, a phenomenon which even exist within ur Igbo people. Dont criticize what your dont understand, it is a sign of immaturity. Shalom!
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ijawcitizen(m): 9:09pm On Sep 11, 2012
The list on southern nations is quite authentic and on point. Southern Nigeria is made up of less than 10 ethnic nationalities; yoruba, igbo, edo, urhobo/isoko, ijaw, ogoni and efik/ibibio/anaang/ekoi (generally regarded as Calabars). Its high time we ignore all these nigerian lies and propaganda because Ijaw alone consist of Ibani, Ibeno, obolo, andonni, kalabari, engenni, abua/odual, okrika, nkoroo, nembe, ogbia etc yet they were counted as different groups to create misconception. I hate nigeria cos every thing is a lie; constitution, census figures, nation heroes, economy, wazobia too is a lie, which kinda of country is this, I will never be a nigerian, Nigeria to me is an illusion.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
aaidel: hausa's are quite different from fulani the hausa are those people that are indigenous to the northern part of nigeria commonly referred to as maguzawa by the fulani's because they worshiped idols or were atheists while the fulani like said above migrated from God knows where. the fulani have their own language which is quite distinct from hausa and are well known tribalists many up till this day refuse to marry from outside their tribe even hausas

^^^^yes whatever he said.

and also most muslim Hausa, though muslim today, are generally not mixed. the mixing is very minor cases as in mixing between say, a Yoruba & Igbo, if at all.

and btw, Dussawa, Bukawa, Ningawa, Zazzaghawa, Bungawa, Maguzawa, Kebbawa, etc., were during the days of the Greater Hausa Confederacy, all sub-tribes of ours. today they have mainly held a separate identity due to them retaining original Hausa cultures and its original variants while the greater majority of general Hausa have arabized/islamized. i am myself of original Kutumbawa descent.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by tpia5: 9:52pm On Sep 11, 2012
op

you didnt correct your edo error?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by tpia5: 9:53pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu:

Igala are partly descendants of the Nri-Igbo.

isnt it the other way round?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:05am On Sep 13, 2012
tpia@:

isnt it the other way round?

Why do you think so ?
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by Flowers2127: 3:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
Urhobo the bless culture with soild food. Found this food blog the best www.cookingncleaning..co.uk
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by ijawcitizen(m): 6:21pm On Jan 08, 2013
ijaw citizen: The list on southern nations is quite authentic and on point. Southern Nigeria is made up of less than 10 ethnic nationalities; yoruba, igbo, edo, urhobo/isoko, ijaw, ogoni and efik/ibibio/anaang/ekoi (generally regarded as Calabars). Its high time we ignore all these nigerian lies and propaganda because Ijaw alone consist of Ibani, Ibeno, obolo, andonni, kalabari, engenni, abua/odual, okrika, nkoroo, nembe, ogbia etc yet they were counted as different groups to create misconception. I hate nigeria cos every thing is a lie; constitution, census figures, nation heroes, economy, wazobia too is a lie, which kinda of country is this, I will never be a nigerian, Nigeria to me is an illusion.
Re: Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 by AndreUweh(m): 12:13am On Jan 09, 2013
ijaw citizen: The list on southern nations is quite authentic and on point. Southern Nigeria is made up of less than 10 ethnic nationalities; yoruba, igbo, edo, urhobo/isoko, ijaw, ogoni and efik/ibibio/anaang/ekoi (generally regarded as Calabars). Its high time we ignore all these nigerian lies and propaganda because Ijaw alone consist of Ibani, Ibeno, obolo, andonni, kalabari, engenni, abua/odual, okrika, nkoroo, nembe, ogbia etc yet they were counted as different groups to create misconception. I hate nigeria cos every thing is a lie; constitution, census figures, nation heroes, economy, wazobia too is a lie, which kinda of country is this, I will never be a nigerian, Nigeria to me is an illusion.
They did that to the Igbo people as well. Some Igbo people have bought that idea and now see themselves as distinct ethnic nations e.g Ekpeye, Ikwerre etc.
Very nonsensical.

(1) (2) (Reply)

MURIC Calls For Arrest, Prosecution Of Oro Priests In Ikorodu / Eke, Orie, Afor, Nkwo / Black Girl Fights Somali Girl Cause Somali Girl Has Nice Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.