Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,474 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration (857 Views)

Fani Kayode Live On AIT: Speaks On The Presidential Declaration / Rabiu Kwankwaso Presidential Declaration, Live On Ait. Pictures. / 2015 PRESIDENTIAL DECLARATION!!!BUHARI VISITS AND INVITES GOVERNOR FASHOLA!(PIX) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Nobody: 7:32pm On Sep 15, 2010
By Kingsley Omonobi & Chris Ochayi
ABUJA—THE successful presidential declaration of General Ibrahim Babangida at the Eagles Square, and the unprecedented crowd that attended it elicited shock and disbelief among the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

Some of them were said to have expressed surprise that Babangida could still mobilize so many Nigerians.

Vanguard gathered that a suggestion was made to the PDP leadership to scuttle Babangida’s presidential declaration by fixing the party’s NEC meeting for 12 noon to coincide with the timing of the declaration and to cause confusion in the IBB camp.

It was further learnt that the national leadership of the party applied wisdom and kicked against the suggestion.
As early as 9.00 a.m, the Eagles Square had started receiving thousands of delegates from the 36 states of the country and Abuja with several of them brandishing placards and mobile billboards’ in support of General Babangida’s 2011 bid.

By 11. 07 am when General Babangida eventually made his grand entry into the square, accompanied by Chairman of the occasion by former Senate President, Senator Ken Nnamani, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, one of his daughters and a retinue of aides, the ovation that greeted him almost brought down the rooftop of Eagle Square.

The next 10 minutes that followed was that of celebration, dancing, with various cultural groups representing people from the North, East South and West trying to outdo each other with cultural displays and dances, all in celebration of the man IBB.

As these delegates continued to troop into the square, the question on everybody’s lip was, will the governors, National Assembly members, at least from the North show up and not allow the massive turnout be blighted with insinuations that IBB was on his own?

These questions were eventually answered with time as firstly, the Governor of Niger state, Babangida Aliyu whom many media reports have touted to have dumped IBB for President Goodluck Jonathan, made a loud entry into the arena and climbed the podium to the ecstatic toothy smiles from former military President Babangida.

He was followed shortly by the governor of Zamfara state, Alhaji Aliyu Shikafi and moments after, both governors were joined by Adamawa state governor, Admiral Murtala Nyako (rtd), with a large retinue of the aides, supporters and well wishers.

A sizeable number of both former National Assembly members as well as those who are currently serving were also there.

Security arrangements which enabled a hitch-free declaration, was very tight as plain clothes security operatives and the Nigeria Police personnel applied civility in screening supporters, delegates, and the various IBB organizations that entered Eagle square to show their support.

In his speech, Chairman of the IBB campaign Organization, Dr. Raymond Dokpesi, welcomed the teeming crowd on behalf of General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, noting that yesterday’s event had signaled the take off of IBB’s campaign and “by the special grace of God, we shall canvass the nooks and crannies of this country. We shall carry the message of General Ibrahim Babangida”.

His words, “We have in the last 17 years, witnessed a nation that has continuously decayed. We have witnessed a country where we have 16 generations of NYSC graduands who are unemployed. We have a situation where our institutions of education have collapsed. The health system has collapsed. The security of lives and property has been abandoned”.

“The country is at the verge of total collapse. We therefore need a leader, a leader that is courageous, a leader that is a nationalist, a leader that has experience, a leader that is capable of saving Nigeria . A leader that has a proven record of performance”.

To the youths in particular, he said, “It is in your power to install the President of the federal republic of Nigeria . It is your responsibility to make sure that we abide by the rules of our party as our party has zoned the presidency in 2007 to the north. Anybody attempting to steal it, we shall resist him”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/09/15/shock-disbelief-heralds-ibb%E2%80%99s-presidential-declaration/
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 15, 2010
;d

Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by olafolarin(m): 8:30pm On Sep 15, 2010
That same crowd will be present at his political burial.
He will never win the PDP ticket or General elections.
Nigerians have grown and are wiser today,
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Solomon227(m): 8:35pm On Sep 15, 2010
I am not going to stop until I am disgraced!-IBB

Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Dede1(m): 8:44pm On Sep 15, 2010
Solomon227:

I am not going to stop until I am disgraced!

You are about to get your wish, pal.
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by 9ijaprince(m): 8:49pm On Sep 15, 2010
How would IBB feel if he wins this election and Jonathan uses a kangaroo court to annul it?
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Beaf: 8:52pm On Sep 15, 2010
Solomon227:

I am not going to stop until I am disgraced!

Found it really funny, so I fixed your PDF as a picture. grin

Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Solomon227(m): 9:07pm On Sep 15, 2010
Beaf I owe u one!
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by supereagle(m): 9:16pm On Sep 15, 2010
Most of the people who were there just want to see the evil genius. they will not vote him to power.
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 15, 2010
supereagle:

Most of the people who were there just want to see the evil genius. they will not vote him to power.

Speak for your self young man
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by marvix(m): 9:43pm On Sep 15, 2010
with the amount of unemployed people i am not surprised.

at a funeral even the murderer is found there.

a lot of pple were there just to catch a glimpse of the man who laid the solid foundation for our failure as a nation.

some of my frnds who were there were happy because most of d pple were actually there to mock the man ibb.
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 15, 2010
marvix:

with the amount of unemployed people i am not surprised.

at a funeral even the murderer is found there.

a lot of pple were there just to catch a glimpse of the man who laid the solid foundation for our failure as a nation.

some of my frnds who were there were happy because most of d pple were actually there to mock the man ibb.

Are you ok?
bros wake up day don break
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Solomon227(m): 10:19pm On Sep 15, 2010
@ ferado

IBB bridge is falling down! falling down!

Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Nobody: 10:34pm On Sep 15, 2010
Solomon227:

@ ferado

SOME PEOPLE CAN LIKE TO SING SHAAA
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Nobody: 11:36pm On Sep 15, 2010
IBB failure is ur second name
Messiah wanna be. Nonsense!
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Nobody: 11:37pm On Sep 15, 2010
Hmmm
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Solomon227(m): 2:12am On Sep 16, 2010
@ STACYM

Yes OOOOO.
Im Anta-IBB and proud and u?
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by hardywaltz(m): 9:39am On Sep 16, 2010
IBB is a loser. During the Governorship race in Anambra, Ngige, Soludo, Andy Uba, Ewunife, Nicholas and co pulled more crowd than him but guess what most couldn't even muster 200votes on election day.
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 16, 2010
Obviously this news report was sponsored.
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by otokx(m): 10:53am On Sep 16, 2010
I am laughing in Hausa, its all so funny.
Re: Shock, Disbelief Heralds Ibb’s Presidential Declaration by dustydee: 6:19pm On Sep 16, 2010
olafolarin:

That same crowd will be present at his political burial.
[b]He will never win the PDP ticket [/b]or General elections.
Nigerians have grown and are wiser today,
are you a member of the PDP? if not then shut up.

(1) (Reply)

Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words / The Ribadu Plan / Igbos Close Shops In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.