Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Do You Shop In The Traffic? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do You Shop In The Traffic? (2217 Views)

Igbo Closes Shop In Nasarawa Today / Seun, What Has Been The Traffic Since The Upgrade Of The Nairaland-be Honest ? / 3d Express Coach, The Chinese Bus That Beats The Traffic. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Shop In The Traffic? by teddyface(m): 10:54pm On Apr 30, 2007
I was held up in the traffic today at Maryland; when I realized all the goods I have on my shopping list for Saturday were been sold in the traffic. Should I buy them or not? undecided
Please shear you views
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by Mayflower2(f): 4:33pm On May 09, 2007
Hey, even I have had this doubt. Infact some of the stuff these mobile vendors have are far more tempting than the ones displayed in the hi-fi shopping malls. wink
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by Raymand(m): 10:11pm On May 09, 2007
lol!
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by soulpatrol(f): 12:35am On May 10, 2007
do it at your own risk. i remember those days when they would sell you something in traffic and if you dont check it properly, you would just reach home only to discover that its empty or been stuffed with something else. beware o. there's no return policy. many times i've bought expired food during hold up, or the vendor has run away with my change. angry hmmm not funny at all. be careful o, it can be very tempting true true. cool
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by temmyabby(f): 12:40am On May 10, 2007
it depends on the type of gud grin
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by soulpatrol(f): 1:05am On May 10, 2007
well, if its packaged food, its most likely not fresh anymore. i've bought expired gala time and time again. because of that, i hate gala now! damn those tricky vendors! cool
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by ikamefa(f): 4:44am On May 10, 2007
yes several times ! when i was back home cool eg puff puff,yogurt, hankies
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by cgift(m): 8:35am On May 10, 2007
It is not just safe. Dont try it! Stop it! Most of thos guys are crooks and would do anything to make dubious money like selling substandard, expired, etc goods. You cant catch them again you know. Just take your time and do normal shopping in legal places. Have ever bought an elctric iron (without testing) at that only to discover it aint working?
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by TaxMan(m): 8:46am On May 10, 2007
While I agree that the majority of good on sale are substandard, I often buy DVDs during Traffic Congestions.
I guess the decision to buy is usually premised on the item in question you're looking at vis a viz your risk appetite. shocked
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by cgift(m): 9:14am On May 10, 2007
May be thats not bad taxman, i think a listing of the goods advisable to buy in traffic would b okay. I propose towels,audio tapes,scds/dvds,housecleaning items like brushes etc, books,, This might b a long list bro angry
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by Aproko(f): 9:16am On May 10, 2007
lacasera and gala or yoghurt on a hot and traffic congested day is a relief. but my shopping list in traffic is a no no.

morning fresh na fake, books na photocopy, clothes na okrika, mirror go soon break, electric shaver, hand drier no go work when you reach house, wristwatch probably stolen from wharf. e.t.c, bottom line dont try it cos its more expensive at the long run.
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by cutey01(f): 10:01am On May 10, 2007
Aproko:

lacasera and gala or yoghurt on a hot and traffic congested day is a relief. but my shopping list in traffic is a no no.

morning fresh na fake, books na photocopy, clothes na okrika, mirror go soon break, electric shaver, hand drier no go work when you reach house, wristwatch probably stolen from wharf. e.t.c, bottom line don't try it because its more expensive at the long run.

lmao. . . I bought eva water in the traffic several times last time I went to naija only to discover they are fake  grin grin grin
Only thing I can buy now is soft sell magazine( don't be surprised if they put latest cover on a very old edition grin grin grin)
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by cgift(m): 11:09am On May 10, 2007
what is this 'lmao' that you guys usually use on the forun? what does it mean?
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by tasiana(m): 11:28am On May 10, 2007
dem say na "Laughn my ass off(sorry their ass) grin
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by ovadose(f): 11:43am On May 10, 2007
striclty snacks. nothing serious
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by igbonla(m): 6:50pm On May 10, 2007
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by igbonla(m): 6:52pm On May 10, 2007
Some keyboard error here!
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by joobreel(m): 11:29pm On May 10, 2007
@topic
it depends totally on what you want to buy. gala, water and the likes are okay (if fresh). but when it comes to electronic gadgets, you myt be doing yourself a lot of harm than good. and please, if you can take the risk or you just wanna give it a try, watch your mobile and your necklace. anyways, all the best
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by verbocity: 11:04am On May 11, 2007
Shopping in the traffic is a good way to waste your hard earned money. If I must buy in the traffic, it must be a pako (wooden) or plastic item that I can verify the quality immediately. Most Gala, biscuits, plantain chips and bread being sold in the traffic are expired. Some of the bottled waters are re-packaged ordinary water. Most of the electronic items never worked.
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by Aproko(f): 11:09am On May 11, 2007
@ cutey01,
pls next time to come to 9ja dont buy eva in the traffic, eva na supermarket or shop buy. buy cascade or aquadana those ones are fresh(lmao)

@Igbonla,
na true you talk oh. infact i hear say person chop gala, e come vanish, another one buy pure water sef and vanished.

so not only do you risk bullets, you risk vanishing too, na only God go save person for 9ja.
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by abstarr(m): 12:50pm On May 11, 2007
Buying in traffic is so popular we even have an acronym for it in ma house, "GSBs"!!! Go-Slow Buys grin grin grin
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by chinnys(f): 3:29pm On May 11, 2007
This thread reminded me of something.
There was this day that my Uncle (cos he likes cheap things) had to buy a supposed electric kettle from these road sellers, i guess at a low cost only to come back and find out he actually bought a basket
I could't stop laughing that day.
Atleast he has learnt his lesson "never buy anything on traffic
[size=8pt][/size]"
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by vassilli(m): 5:18pm On May 11, 2007
chairman,
nothing do u o
u knw lagos hold up can be terrible sometimes!
u fit chill inside the thing for hrs
al u need do is shine ur eyes
eko ile!
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by uchetobi(f): 5:25pm On May 11, 2007
while you do. I’l advice you to be careful. I know someone that wanted to buy gala in traffic and the guy had a gun under his goods and robbed her silly. I personally don’t do it anyway
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by akara(m): 9:19pm On May 11, 2007
Buy with Care, and as they say Shine Your Eyes o.
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by soulpatrol(f): 9:30pm On May 11, 2007
those vendors have a habit of running away with my change, especially when you're buying on a highway and the traffic holdup begins to move fast. yeye people. lawd knows how many of them i've sworn for!
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by soulpatrol(f): 9:52pm On May 11, 2007
omygod, this reminds me of when you go and buy electronics at those igbo stores grin i think they use jazz to deceive your eyes. imagine, as you're inside the store and looking at the cd player before you buy, your eyes are seeing "SONY" but by the time you get home, lo and behold, you discover that you just bought a "SUNY" shocked like, how does that magic happen? ehn, biko, igbo people, nna why now? why the deceit? grin grin grin
other fake things i can think of are
FUBU - aka "FABU or FUBA"
TOMMY HILFIGER - aka "TOMMY HILFINGER"

remember when they used to sell those POLO shirts, with the man and horse in different positions? grin that shit got me crackin up everytime. naija people and their fake baffs sha. if the horse is not on top of the man, then the horse has 1 leg or something stupid.

sometimes they install bad lighting on purpose in the store so you wont see what you're buying clearly
or they make the light so colorful and you think you're buying something brand new when it's in fact rugged. cool

wonders shall never cease.
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by DisGuy: 10:01pm On May 11, 2007
remember when they used to sell those POLO shirts, with the man and horse in different positions?

lmao!! cheesy
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by spoilt(f): 4:36am On May 12, 2007
never ever buy anything in traffic.
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by awoof(m): 5:47am On May 12, 2007
i do buy some things, but it depends. i was taught a lesson one day i bought an audio CD supposedly Stevie Wonder greatest hits, walahi when i got home played it on my music set it was some sort of funny sounds played by some crooks immitating SW i stopped buying cds in the traffic since that day. before you do make sure the traffic is so jammed that you have enough time to check the goods(particularly edibles) for the expiry date and the tamper proof before you pay i don't trust those guys at all.
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by DisGuy: 1:36pm On May 13, 2007
I miss that yogurt in white plastic they sell in Lagos and kpuff kpuff
Re: Do You Shop In The Traffic? by awoof(m): 1:30am On May 14, 2007
@Dis Guy

those are the stuffs puff (puff et al)that you should be wary of buying. did you not hear that some guys making local snacks use rats to make meat pie? the types of giant rats you find in the congested neighbourhood in Lagos grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Its Acidosis Birthday! / Happy Birthday To Itsmodella / Graphic Photos: Guy Murdered His Girlfriend And Took The Heart (wicked World)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.