Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,019 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! (4917 Views)

SEC Suspends BGL From Capital Market Operations / The Meltdown Of The Nigerian Capital Market: Causes And Consequences / Investment Opportunities In The Nigerian Capital Market! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by jydtee007: 2:11pm On Sep 17, 2010
For some months now, the stock market has witness a steady nose-dive. when world economies seems to be growing gradually, nigeria's economy seems to be heading the wrong direction.
From my own point of view, it appear the recession is far from being over in our dear country. it also appear that our so-called government is fast loosing sense of direction as far as the economy is concern.
we all know that every countries of the world is affected by the recent melt down. but these countries are succeeding in identifying, formulating & implimenting policies that are moving their economies forward but the reverse seems to be the case here.
I may be wrong in my assumptions, please educate me.
people.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by Economical(m): 3:45pm On Sep 23, 2010
See my article on "Dollar And Naira Will Fall Go For Gold(Trusted, Approved, Verifiable, Safe Gold)" @ https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-518884.0.html
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by Rekeb: 5:47am On Oct 09, 2010
As Warren Buffet rightly said, the best time to invest is when there is "blood" on the street (i.e. the stock market). The fundamentals for some of the blue chip companies do not deserve the current onslaught on their stock prices. For example, First Bank, GTB & Zenith in the banking sector, Flour Mills, Oando etc in other sectors are sound businesses that one should be safe to own.

The main question is, for those whose life savings were invested in the stock market and have seen these savings devastated by corporate greed (e.g. Oceanic ate) and the negative sentiments in the market, how do you convince them that there is a silver lining in this same market. It is a personal call that each individual (or investor) should make.

In my personal opinion, this is the best time to invest in the market and go to sleep for the next 5 to 10 years to continue reaping the bumper harvest. To quote Warren Buffet, "Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful". This is the time to be greedy because there is "blood" on the street.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by angrynaija: 2:13am On Oct 16, 2010
rekeb:
i'm not sure i want to buy and hold for the long term right now. maybe when there is a trend, and less fluctuations in the market. buying on the dips and taking some profit when the stock goes up in price has worked for me so far.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by olakintanj(m): 4:15pm On Oct 22, 2010
Hi Nairalanders, i invested in stock some months ago, but up till date i haven't gotten any document to show that i am a shareholder. I paid through a stockbroker and he keeps posting me. pls, i needs help. Somebody pls. help me wink
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by Fiver: 6:44pm On Nov 17, 2010
^^ ask him for you cscs number

you probably only get a document when you buy through an Public Offer
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by kelvinkk: 11:23am On Nov 18, 2010
yeah, you should ask him for your CSCS account number, he probably bought shares for you from the secondary market and you should have a CSCS statement of account. Note that this is not delayed like the coventional shares certificate when you buy from Primary market(Public Offer). If he can't provide it with minutes of accessing the internet, then something must be wrong.hope this would help.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by Fiver: 3:36am On Dec 06, 2010
It's December grin

What effect will AMCON activities have on the usually end of year dullness in the market?
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by lazinc(m): 10:26am On Dec 06, 2010
Rekeb:

In my personal opinion, this is the best time to invest in the market and go to sleep for the next 5 to 10 years to continue reaping the bumper harvest. To quote Warren Buffet, "Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful". This is the time to be greedy because there is "blood" on the street.

Am still very reluctant in entering the market because of the downturn( “Blood in the Street”) that has wiped out many investments. I have abt 150K to put into the market and also planned of investing 50K every mnth into this market. I’m a young grad that just started a jab not quite long with a fare pay, don’t want to lavish my hard earn coins! I have been following and observing the market trend and the vagaries going on there. Don’t knw if this is a step in the right direction.
Plz I need your candid and expertise advice on this.

Thanx
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by manie(m): 12:54pm On Dec 06, 2010
If you have the money, i think it a good advice for one to buy shares now. One should have a long term view and invest in companies with very good fundamentals.
I am even thinking of the business to do in order to augment my income, so as to have have more money to invest in the capital market.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by Rekeb: 2:10pm On Dec 06, 2010
@laz_inc Am still very reluctant in entering the market because of the downturn( “Blood in the Street”) that has wiped out many investments.  I have abt 150K to put into the market and also planned of investing 50K every mnth into this market. I’m a young grad that just started a jab not quite long with a fare pay, don’t want to lavish my hard earn coins! I have been following and observing the market trend and the vagaries going on there. Don’t knw if this is a step in the right direction.
Plz I need your candid and expertise advice on this.

Thanx

I am very happy to hear that as a young graduate, you are already thinking about investing. As someone who graduated from the university about 22 years ago, I wish I had your kind of foresight 22 years ago. Congratulations!!!

Now back to your point, should you start investing about 50k every month from now. I will very much say YES. I am also saying that you will never regret starting early. Along the way, you will make mistakes and you will have early successes. I can assure you that you will learn more from your mistakes than from your early successes. You will also need to develop the habit of reading widely about investing and about businesses in general. I You can find some of the best readings on investing in my investment blog http://www.investornigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46:the-best-investment-readings&catid=1:latest-news. Like most good things in life, there readyngs are freely available to you.

Happy investing.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by manie(m): 3:28pm On Dec 06, 2010
am very happy to hear that as a young graduate, you are already thinking about investing. As someone who graduated from the university about 15 years ago, I wish I had your kind of foresight 22 years ago. Congratulations!!!

So how long have you been investing in the capital market?

What are your current stock picks?

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by Rekeb: 4:15pm On Dec 06, 2010
So how long have you been investing in the capital market?

What are your current stock picks?

I've been following the stock market for more than 15 years, but I've been an investor for less than that. One thing I have learnt is that one needs to have some skin in the game to be a good student of the market.

On my stock pick, I am very reluctant to start dispensing stock-pick advise over the internet. I can generally say I still believe there are huge opportunities in the Nigerian banking and Food sectors. But each individual investor has to carry out their own fundamental analysis of the specific companies. I will advice that you never invest in a company without first reading and analysing the financial statements of a company. I have some collections of financial statements for free download through the following link. http://www.investornigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=54 . I'm still building the library and will welcome any help in the form of volunteers who can upload financial statements on the site. The aim is to make these information freely available to potential investors,

Cheers,
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by lazinc(m): 4:50pm On Dec 06, 2010
@Rekeb & Manie,

Thanks 4 ur prompt response, I have done a little research on the market prior to this time and I was able to come up with these selected coy which I believe have strong fundamentals and track records( Nahco, NB, FBN, Oando, GTB and UACN Property). Gurus I have a long term view on investing and as d clock clicks I will become more and more experienced by learning from my mistakes and building on my strengths.
Am not trying to be anxious about this, I have put in quality time, energy and resources to do my research and homework and I feel its time to take action, I may be wrong in some of my decisions and analysis but I have made up my mind to accept what ever the outcome may be since I know that investing in securities is not cast on stone, at times it goes to your favour while some times it does not.

Any contribution will be highly appreciated. Thanks
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by manie(m): 4:20pm On Dec 07, 2010
( Nahco, NB, FBN, Oando, GTB and UACN Property). Gurus I have a long term view on investing and as d clock clicks I will become more and more experienced
I have all these stocks in my portfolio. It is always better if you have a long term perspective.
I started investing in the capital market in 1994, even though l heard about stocks 5 years before this time.
If you monitor your stock and you have a minimum of 5 year plan, you will do well in stocks. Do you know that l bought UACN for N2 in 2001, GSK for N1.5, Nestle for N18 and l have not sold the stocks instead l have being buy more.
You only once in a while, when the fundamentals does not support the price.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by manie(m): 4:28pm On Dec 07, 2010
've been following the stock market for more than 15 years, but I've been an investor for less than that. One thing I have learnt is that one needs to have some skin in the game to be a good student of the market.

That is very good. To succeed in stock trading you need to have good brokers. I use three brokers that are subsidiaries of some of the big banks in Nigeria. You get research materials from the stock brokers, but it is still advisable for you to do your home work. This is not the time to speculate, although one can be lucky to speculate now and win.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by lazinc(m): 10:14am On Dec 08, 2010
manie:

That is very good. To succeed in stock trading you need to have good brokers. I use three brokers that are subsidiaries of some of the big banks in Nigeria. You get research materials from the stock brokers, but it is still advisable for you to do your home work. This is not the time to speculate, although one can be lucky to speculate now and win.

How do I know a good broker? I intend using ARM securities, though they are new into the market. I have a mutual fund account with them that I'm servicing over a while now and they've been very consistent with their dividend, though don't really know much about their research. Can you please recommend a good broker I can use with not too a high Initial capital to start with (ARM have a minimum of 50K which is OK).
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by manie(m): 11:13am On Dec 08, 2010
I use FBN Securities at Ikoyi, a subsidiary of first bank, UBA stock brokers a subsidiary of United bank of Africa, they non 10th floor UBA house marina and Union Capital market on Victoria island a sudsidiary of Union bank.

FBN securities used to charge 500k to open an account, it used to be 20k but they increased it during the bull era of 2006 to 2008. I guess they must have a downward review of the amount, same with Union capital.
UBA stock brokers is 250k.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by lazinc(m): 12:04pm On Dec 08, 2010
manie:

I use FBN Securities at Ikoyi, a subsidiary of first bank, UBA stock brokers a subsidiary of United bank of Africa, they non 10th floor UBA house marina and Union Capital market on Victoria island a sudsidiary of Union bank.

FBN securities used to charge 500k to open an account, it used to be 20k but they increased it during the bull era of 2006 to 2008. I guess they must have a downward review of the amount, same with Union capital.
UBA stock brokers is 250k.

Thanks for the info, but I guess their initial startup is pretty too high for me. Maybe I'd stick to ARM Securities since they have a reasonable charge.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by manie(m): 12:48pm On Dec 08, 2010
Thanks for the info, but I guess their initial startup is pretty too high for me. Maybe I'd stick to ARM Securities since they have a reasonable charge.

ARM Securities is okay, are you a mutual fund stuff with them or you personally buy stocks through them every month. I use my brokers because when the market was very good, l got facilities from them to trade in stocks.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by lazinc(m): 10:30pm On Dec 08, 2010
^^ I have been running a mutual fund with them but I want to start buying stocks using them as my broker.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by manie(m): 10:04am On Dec 09, 2010
laz_inc:

^^ I have been running a mutual fund with them but I want to start buying stocks using them as my broker.

That is very good, do you use the one at Ilupeju. I do'nt know why i have reservations for mutual funds, I prefer doing my own thing. It is easily to learn that way by doing your own thing, but mutual fund or unit trust fund is not a bad idea for a beginner.
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by BSL(m): 12:05pm On Dec 09, 2010
broadstreetlagos.com is a very good research portal on Nigerian securities and for those with with shares in the stock markets guess we should all check it out. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by lazinc(m): 8:48pm On Dec 09, 2010
BSL:

broadstreetlagos.com is a very good research portal on Nigerian securities and for those with with shares in the stock markets guess we should all check it out. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Thanks for the website, it has a huge research resources for beginners like me
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by BSL(m): 9:12am On Dec 13, 2010
Hi you are most welcome The site is a very good one and you can send me your email if you want more info like sms quotes and bonds
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by lazinc(m): 9:28am On Dec 13, 2010
^^ I'm very much grateful. My email address is solomonlazio@gmail.com
Looking forward to hearing from you soonest.
smiley smiley
Re: The Nigerian Capital Market & Nigerian Economy! by BSL(m): 4:13pm On Dec 13, 2010
You can calculate what your dividends is suppose to be, see how much unit cost in previous years. Check the stock watch and how your shares rises
log on to www.broadstreetlagos.com and register for free. get sms quotes on your phones. The site helps you to decide when to invest and fold your arms. The best nigeria securities site so far. Since i registered on this site i dont have to wait for information from my broker nor wait on my annual financial reports from my company.
www.broadstreetlagos.com

(1) (Reply)

Installation Of Time Clock Attendance and Automatic school bell / MMM Participants I Just Got My Balance, Who Else Got Theirs / Run Away Roqqu Is A Big Scam!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.