Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity (14655 Views)

Eyewitness Account Of Fulani Attack In Enugu State......(photos)...Greatiyk4u / Ondo State Bans Activities Of Fulani Nomadic Herdsmen / Pictures Of Fulani Occupation And Destruction Of Agatu Land...... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by tpiah: 2:28am On Sep 20, 2010
sbeezy8:

no im saying tho do you notice the difference between the way that guy looks and a "regular african"

because he looks mixed to me, even though he has a big nose hes dark skinned and big lips.

the shape of his face.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by TewMuch: 3:02am On Sep 20, 2010
Can't hate the fulani's. They are a small efficient group that understand the art of domination and power.They have been conquering people for a long time, so they understand how to make a life for themselves in a foreign land.The Hausa's first need to shake them off so they can represent their own interests.As for Ilorin, the sins of the father(Afonja), has followed the generations.Let them wake up and sort themselves out.If they know what is good for them, they better crawl back to Oyo and beg.or else, na perpetual iya.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by PhysicsQED(m): 8:34pm On Sep 20, 2010
Some people are being silly. The "Yoruba-press" did not and could not have made up the term Hausa-Fulani. That term is obviously a European creation, and it was created for the obvious reason that these two groups are linked in Nigeria, whether they like it or not. And there is no such thing as Yoruba-Fulani or Etsako-Fulani, that's just ludicrous. The only reason Hausa can be linked with Fulani in this way is because of similarity of culture.

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by AndreUweh(m): 8:42pm On Sep 20, 2010
TewMuch:

Can't hate the fulani's. They are a small efficient group that understand the art of domination and power.They have been conquering people for a long time, so they understand how to make a life for themselves in a foreign land.The Hausa's first need to shake them off so they can represent their own interests.As for Ilorin, the sins of the father(Afonja), has followed the generations.Let them wake up and sort themselves out.If they know what is good for them, they better crawl back to Oyo and beg.or else, na perpetual iya.
IMPOSSIBLE.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by ezeagu(m): 11:42pm On Sep 20, 2010
PhysicsQED:

Some people are being silly. The "Yoruba-press" did not and could not have made up the term Hausa-Fulani. That term is obviously a European creation, and it was created for the obvious reason that these two groups are linked in Nigeria, whether they like it or not. And there is no such thing as Yoruba-Fulani or Etsako-Fulani, that's just ludicrous. The only reason Hausa can be linked with Fulani in this way is because of similarity of culture.

They're linked primarily because of the Fulani conquest of the Hausa states which joined them at the hip, with the Fulani as the elite.

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by AndreUweh(m): 11:45pm On Sep 20, 2010
ezeagu:

They're linked primarily because of the Fulani conquest of the Hausa states which joined them at the hip, with the Fulani as the elite.
Word.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 21, 2010
TewMuch:

They have agreed to continue to live that kinda life.They will continue to tell you to leave them that they are used to the bondage since dy hv been in it for years.I used to pity them when i was there.And this affects the other towns surrounding them sice they r the ones that dominate the state in terms of ruling.

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by sbeezy8: 8:48am On Sep 21, 2010
Ilorins and kwarans are mumus if yoruba have thier own country abeg we should leave these clowns to die under fulani rule like the trash they are.

2 Likes

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by sconsults: 8:12am On Jun 13, 2011
Even akon is fulani
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Oba234: 6:30am On Dec 19, 2011
sbeezy8:

Ilorins and kwarans are mumus if yoruba have thier own country abeg we should leave these clowns to die under fulani rule like the trash they are.

lmao, is it that serious?
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by DRANOEL(m): 11:42am On Dec 19, 2011
just to correct some wrong impression about the tribe of certain northern leaders

tafawa balewa : zar (sayawa)
murtala mohammed : hausa
buhari : fulani
babangida : hausa
idiagbon : fulani
ty danjuma : jukun
abacha : kanuri
abdulsalam : hausa
atiku : fulani
yar'adua : hausa
sambo : hausa

there's no such thing as hausa-fulani! its like calling some one of mixed parentage yoruba-igbo!
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 19, 2011
Teacher no teach me nonsense:

Murtala is Fulani not Hausa, Babangida is Gwari not Hausa, Yaradua is core Fulani not Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by DRANOEL(m): 3:58pm On Dec 19, 2011
Jarus:

Teacher no teach me nonsense:

Murtala is Fulani not Hausa, Babangida is Gwari not Hausa, Yaradua is core Fulani not Hausa.

misguided one, murtala is a full blooded kano man (if u must know kano is almost 100% hausa) infact jigawa and kano r what you call complete hausa states!

babangida is a hausa man, i understand your confusion due to the fact that he is from a state that is largely nupe and gwari added to the fact the media has called him nupe and in some other fora gwari! he's family however is part of the migrants that settled in niger!

yar'adua is hausa and not the fulani people mistake him to be!
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 19, 2011
To say Yar'adua is Hausa, not Fulani, is height of ignorance. With his ethnic origin in public domain, making this claim is totally beyond me. Yar'adua is not and has never claimed to be Hausa.

Kano may have large Hausa population but it is far from 100%. In fact, the Kano royal family and the big shots from teh state are all Fulani. The current emir, Lamido Sanusi, Maitama Sule etc are all Fulani.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by DRANOEL(m): 4:51pm On Dec 19, 2011
Jarus:

To say Yar'adua is Hausa, not Fulani, is height of ignorance. With his ethnic origin in public domain, making this claim is totally beyond me. Yar'adua is not and has never claimed to be Hausa.

Kano may have large Hausa population but it is far from 100%. In fact, the Kano royal family and the big shots from teh state are all Fulani. The current emir, Lamido Sanusi, Maitama Sule etc are all Fulani.

every where in northern nigerai you find an emir that beared the dan fodio torch is fulani(kano inclusive)! what am saying is simple,the royal houses are fulani but the indigenes are hausa! murtala is not from a royal home!

yar'adua on the other hand,is what people tend to call hausa-fulani(the blood line has been mixed) and if you know anything about fulani culture once you are mixed you are not fulani!
you should read and know why related fulanis marry themselves

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by onila(f): 10:17pm On Dec 19, 2011
Jarus:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-826269.0.html pls moderator can you move my thread to the romance section
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by mranswer: 4:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
i am a pulo man from kwara and am proud of it. I cant say i am yoruba because my ancestors says i am not

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Omololu007(m): 4:57pm On Sep 27, 2014
mranswer: i am a pulo man from kwara and am proud of it. I cant say i am yoruba because my ancestors says i am not
which one b pulo again,o ga o

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Omololu007(m): 4:59pm On Sep 27, 2014
DRANOEL: just to correct some wrong impression about the tribe of certain northern leaders

tafawa balewa : zar (sayawa)
murtala mohammed : hausa
buhari : fulani
babangida : hausa
idiagbon : fulani
ty danjuma : jukun
abacha : kanuri
abdulsalam : hausa
atiku : fulani
yar'adua : hausa
sambo : hausa

there's no such thing as hausa-fulani! its like calling some one of mixed parentage yoruba-igbo!
babaginda is a gwari man,abdulsalam is nupe,while yaradua is fulani
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by laudate: 2:01am On Sep 29, 2014
olafolarin: Ilorin is bring sold to the North by the Sarakis.
Most Kwara inhabitants are Yorubas with little mixed Fulanis.
Except for geogrpahic location,I see no reason why Kwara should be called
North.It has more with SW than with North.

Because they speak Yoruba, abi ?? Please go back & read the history of Ilorin and how it was established, before you make such sweeping statements.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by macof(m): 5:07pm On Oct 01, 2014
laudate:

Because they speak Yoruba, abi ?? Please go back & read the history of Ilorin and how it was established, before you make such sweeping statements.

You should know that the founder of Ilorin is Afonja's grandfather, an elephant hunter from the metropolitan oyo villages. Afonja became a soldier in the Oyo army and was appointed Aare Ona Kankanfo (army marshal) of Oyo, when Oyo ruled most parts of Today's Yorubaland

Ilorin was the base of Oyo warriors, and also the northern slave camp. Fulani and Nupe slaves were at abundance to tend to Alaafin's horses and the army.
due to an argument with Alaafin Aole, Afonja sought the fulani Islamic preacher in Ilorin, Alimi to help get fulanis and muslims(Yoruba muslims included) to fight for ilorin's independence...afonja got his independence but lost rulership as he was killed by Alimi. Alimi became ruler as he was declared by the fulani, nupe, bariba and Yoruba muslims residing in the city.
Aole cursed afonja's descendants to be slaves like the slaves that helped their father, also he caused Yorubas to be used as slaves since his foreign slaves were freed..that's when Yoruba sons and daughters began to be taken by the Europeans

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by laudate: 5:30pm On Oct 06, 2014
DRANOEL:

misguided one, murtala is a full blooded kano man (if u must know kano is almost 100% hausa) infact jigawa and kano r what you call complete hausa states!

babangida is a hausa man, i understand your confusion due to the fact that he is from a state that is largely nupe and gwari added to the fact the media has called him nupe and in some other fora gwari! he's family however is part of the migrants that settled in niger!

yar'adua is hausa and not the fulani people mistake him to be!

Haba!! Yar'adua family are complete Fulanis, oh! Don't let them hear you calling them "Hausa"!! shocked

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Family and Early Life

Yar'Adua was born into an aristocratic Fulani family in Katsina; His father, a former Minister for Lagos during the First republic, held the royal title of Mutawalli (custodian of the treasury) of the Katsina Emirate, a title which Yar'Adua inherited.[5][6]

He started his education at Rafukka Primary School in 1958, and moved to Dutsinma Boarding Primary School in 1962. He attended the Government College at Keffi from 1965 until 1969. In 1971 he received a Higher School Certificate from Barewa College.[7] He attended Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria from 1972 to 1975, obtaining a B.Sc. degree in Education and Chemistry, and then returned in 1978 to achieve an M.Sc. degree in Analytical Chemistry.[7]

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umaru_Musa_Yar'Adua

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by laudate: 5:37pm On Oct 06, 2014
macof:

You should know that the founder of Ilorin is Afonja's grandfather, an elephant hunter from the metropolitan oyo villages. Afonja became a soldier in the Oyo army and was appointed Aare Ona Kankanfo (army marshal) of Oyo, when Oyo ruled most parts of Today's Yorubaland

Ilorin was the base of Oyo warriors, and also the northern slave camp. Fulani and Nupe slaves were at abundance to tend to Alaafin's horses and the army.
due to an argument with Alaafin Aole, Afonja sought the fulani Islamic preacher in Ilorin, Alimi to help get fulanis and muslims(Yoruba muslims included) to fight for ilorin's independence...afonja got his independence but lost rulership as he was killed by Alimi. Alimi became ruler as he was declared by the fulani, nupe, bariba and Yoruba muslims residing in the city.
Aole cursed afonja's descendants to be slaves like the slaves that helped their father, also he caused Yorubas to be used as slaves since his foreign slaves were freed..that's when Yoruba sons and daughters began to be taken by the Europeans

What is the source of this piece of historical tale you recounted here? Kindly post it so we can read & verify. Hearsay is not admissible...this is the internet age! undecided

Anyway, you have made one thing clear - Ilorin was captured by the Fulani, who installed an Emir. The lineage of that Emir has ruled them till date. There was a heavy influx of Fulani warriors and families into Ilorin, that ended up settling there & inter-marrying with the people of Ilorin.

Kindly read the historical facts here:
Nigeria-Usman dan Fodio and the Sokoto Caliphate:

By the middle of the nineteenth century, there were thirty emirates and the capital district of Sokoto, which itself was a large and populous territory although not technically an emirate. All the important Hausa emirates, including Kano, the wealthiest and most populous, were directly under Sokoto. Adamawa, which was established by Fulani forced to evacuate Borno, was geographically the biggest, stretching far to the south and east of its capital at Yola into modern Cameroon. Ilorin, which became part of the caliphate in the 1830s, was initially the headquarters of the Oyo cavalry that had provided the backbone of the king's power. undecided

An attempted coup d'état by the general of the cavalry in 1817 backfired when the cavalry itself revolted and pledged its allegiance to the Sokoto Caliphate. The cavalry was largely composed of Muslim slaves from farther north, and they saw in the jihad a justification for rebellion. In the 1820s, Oyo had been torn asunder, and the defeated king and the warlords of the Oyo Mesi retreated south to form new cities, including Ibadan, where they carried on their resistance to the caliphate and fought among themselves as well.

Usman dan Fodio's jihad created the largest empire in Africa since the fall of Songhai in 1591. By the middle of the nineteenth century, when the Sokoto Caliphate was at its greatest extent, it stretched 1,500 kilometers from Dori in modern Burkina Faso to southern Adamawa in Cameroon and included Nupe lands, Ilorin in northern Yorubaland, and much of the Benue River valley

Read more at http://www.mongabay.com/history/nigeria/nigeria-usman_dan_fodio_and_the_sokoto_caliphate.html#yYrjUSquvWol7uea.99;
http://www.mongabay.com/history/nigeria/nigeria-usman_dan_fodio_and_the_sokoto_caliphate.html;

Your story about the so-called 'curse' is neither here nor there.... and the so-called curse was not responsible for the colonisation of Nigeria by the Europeans. angry

Don't forget that the colonial masters also conquered and ruled the North, as well as other parts of West Africa. Did the 'curse' affect the Northerners, too? shocked angry

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by mandarin: 6:27pm On Oct 06, 2014
Some facts are clear from all these post:
1. The Fulani are largely well spread people and dominate power through cross breeding.
2.The ruling class in most parts of the North are Fulani and they form both political and economic hegemony.A revolt against them cannot be achieved since the ruling hegemony also have the native blood in them. For instance if my sister should marry an Hausa, I will see her children as part of my ethnic group

3The case of Ilorin bear similarities, the ruling class is a mixed blood of Yoruba and Fulani and they associate themselves more with the north obviously because of political advantage, be it Saraki or Gambari.They are both Yoruba and Fulani depending on choice and their allegiance can shift to Yoruba if power base in Nigeria shift.I think the trouble with the Yoruba is the title, Emir and not the Fulani blood.if the title should change to Oba or. Baale, there may be no issue in future.
3. Ilorin, not Kwara, is the one wth these controversies,other Yoruba towns in Kwara state are not having these troubles.
4 Yes, with the coming of democracy things will change in the political clime and if Nigeria can attain a regional political structure, all the Fulani ruling elites all over will be the greatest losers. Why? They have climbed the tree too close to God and He have decided to shake the tree!

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by macof(m): 6:31pm On Oct 06, 2014
laudate:

What is the source of this piece of historical tale you recounted here? Kindly post it so we can read & verify. Hearsay is not admissible...this is the internet age! undecided

Anyway, you have made one thing clear - Ilorin was captured by the Fulani, who installed an Emir. The lineage of that Emir has ruled them till date. There was a heavy influx of Fulani warriors and families into Ilorin, that ended up settling there & inter-marrying with the people of Ilorin.

Kindly read the historical facts here:

Your story about the so-called 'curse' is neither here nor there.... and the so-called curse was not responsible for the colonisation of Nigeria by the Europeans. angry

Don't forget that the colonial masters also conquered and ruled the North, as well as other parts of West Africa. Did the 'curse' affect the Northerners, too? shocked angry

sorry I don't learn history from books as much are without authenticity. I learn from the source

My Great Great Great grand father by whom I bare my family name was a war chief of Ido-Ekiti. he was picked among all the warriors from the kingdom to be trained in Ilorin..
The the story I posted before is known well in my home town and around former Oyo colonies

Take it or keep looking for internet age books and online article to teach you Yoruba history which would only mislead you

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by laudate: 6:47pm On Oct 06, 2014
macof:

sorry I don't learn history from books as much are without authenticity. I learn from the source

My Great Great Great grand father by whom I bare my family name was a war chief of Ido-Ekiti. he was picked among all the warriors from the kingdom to be trained in Ilorin..
The the story I posted before is known well in my home town and around former Oyo colonies

Take it or keep looking for internet age books and online article to teach you Yoruba history which would only mislead you

Story, story, .....story! Hahaha! cheesy

That is the problem with Nigerians... always rushing to elevate hearsay, into gospel truth that cannot be verified anywhere. A lot of oral traditions have already been documented. So if this story you cited here is true, some researchers would have taken pains to investigate and document it. How old were you, when your great great great grandfather passed on? Two? shocked Did he relate the story directly to you?

I asked you a question earlier - "Don't forget that the colonial masters also conquered and ruled the North, as well as other parts of West Africa. Did the 'curse' affect the Northerners, too?" Am still waiting for the answer...

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by macof(m): 6:52pm On Oct 06, 2014
laudate:

Story, story, .....story! Hahaha! cheesy

That is the problem with Nigerians... always rushing to elevate hearsay, into gospel truth that cannot be verified anywhere. A lot of oral traditions have already been documented. So if this story you cited here is true, some researchers would have taken pains to investigate and document it. How old were you, when your great great great grandfather passed on? Two? shocked Did he relate the story directly to you?

I asked you a question earlier - "Don't forget that the colonial masters also conquered and ruled the North, as well as other parts of West Africa. Did the 'curse' affect the Northerners, too?" Am still waiting for the answer...

is the curse the only thing u picked up? And wat has it to do with colonization from the British? I never implied such

If u so interested abt verifying wat I posted...take to google..since u only accept internet age history

As if any history was not passed orally before being documented

Take the stress to go to old people, ask them questions...they know the history better than any half baked historian professor
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by laudate: 6:59pm On Oct 06, 2014
macof:

is the curse the only thing u picked up? And wat has it to do with colonization from the British? I never implied such

If u so interested abt verifying wat I posted...take to google..since u only accept internet age history

As if any history was not passed orally before being documented

Take the stress to go to old people, ask them questions...they know the history better than any half baked historian professor

Stop going round in circles. Just answer the question. According to your previous post, Ilorin was not conquered by the Fulani because you said Afonja asked Alimi to come & help him. That story has been debunked. A lot of research has been done on that and the facts have been published by various scholars.

Next, you claimed there was a curse and because of that Ilorin people would forever be slaves. I brought up the British conquest of the North and other parts of West Africa, to show that the conquest of Ilorin had nothing to do with your so-called curse, as other tribes in Nigeria were also conquered in a similar fashion by external sources.

Do you still want it to be broken down for you, into kindergarten rhymes so you can understand it?

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by kavey10(m): 7:33pm On Oct 06, 2014
@laudate, I would like to get information on a particular post involving laundry business you made some months back. Can I mail you so as to discuss further?
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by macof(m): 7:34pm On Oct 06, 2014
laudate:

Stop going round in circles. Just answer the question. According to your previous post, Ilorin was not conquered by the Fulani because you said Afonja asked Alimi to come & help him. That story has been debunked. A lot of research has been done on that and the facts have been published by various scholars.

Next, you claimed there was a curse and because of that Ilorin people would forever be slaves. I brought up the British conquest of the North and other parts of West Africa, to show that the conquest of Ilorin had nothing to do with your so-called curse, as other tribes in Nigeria were also conquered in a similar fashion by external sources.

Do you still want it to be broken down for you, into kindergarten rhymes so you can understand it?

Have u ever been to ilorin? Have u ever found out the history in ilorin or any where else?
I have.

So unless Gambari or Saraki told you otherwise...which would be seriously debunked by Alaafin and all Yoruba
You have no case

Alimi was an Islamic preacher welcomed in as a friend but betrayed afonja...as other Yoruba muslims betrayed Oyo.
any other story is false

your Queston has nothing to do with my post as I never mentioned British.
Pls stick to the point
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by laudate: 9:04pm On Oct 06, 2014
kavey10:
@laudate, I would like to get information on a particular post involving laundry business you made some months back. Can I mail you so as to discuss further?

Hi, sure what do you want to know? cheesy

Am not in the laundry business though... I have only seen washing and drying machines, that are powered by cooking gas in some of the laundry outlets in Lagos. If you like, I can post their details here so that you can visit them and inspect their machines. smiley
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by laudate: 9:19pm On Oct 06, 2014
macof:

Have u ever been to ilorin? Have u ever found out the history in ilorin or any where else?
I have.

So unless Gambari or Saraki told you otherwise...which would be seriously debunked by Alaafin and all Yoruba
You have no case

Alimi was an Islamic preacher welcomed in as a friend but betrayed afonja...as other Yoruba muslims betrayed Oyo.
any other story is false

your Queston has nothing to do with my post as I never mentioned British.
Pls stick to the point

Sorry to disappoint you...but I have been to Ilorin, countless times. I even lived there for a while. Do you want me to tell you the area?

Gambari or Saraki does not have to tell me anything. I know the history of Ilorin.

Your story about Afonja inviting Alimi, is still a story found in the realm of fables and tales by moonlight. Go and do some actual research, so you can get the facts...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Armored Tanks, Jets For Anambra Governorship Elections - IGP / Corrupt Ex-governors Who Are GMB Supporters Will Create Problems For Him – Tsav / 1.1m Nigerians Slip Into Extreme Poverty In Four Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.