Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,993 members, 7,806,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? (18247 Views)

Eight Bad Sides Of An African Man You Probably Don't Know / I Hate Being An African American Woman / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by AmerOmoge(f): 8:27pm On May 01, 2007
Came across this article on the internet today,

A new term has arisen to describe the social phenomenon of the so-called "marriage squeeze" for African American females.[6] The marriage squeeze refers to the belief that the most eligible and desirable African American men are marrying non-African American women, leaving those African American women who wish to marry African American men with fewer partnering options. According to Newsweek, 43% of black women between the ages of 30-34 have never been married.[7] Explanation of this phenomenon is threefold. In part it may be due to relatively fewer European American men being willing to marry African American women, as a result of the lingering effects of social ostracism to which past white American men, who have historically pursued relationships with African American women, were heavily subjected.[8] - although today one in five white Americans would seriously consider marrying across the color line nonetheless.[8] It may also be the result of a desire among African American women to marry African American men due to lingering concepts such as racial loyalty, black solidarity, and the internalized stereotypical belief that non-African American men would not find them attractive.[8] Lastly, there is a desire among educated women of all races to "marry up", although rising income for women has lessened this factor.[9] Another confounding factor for African American women may be the disproportionate mortality rate between men and women in the black community: there are only approximately 85 males for every 100 females by the time they reach their child-bearing years.

Interracial marriage disparities for certain groups

A similar trend can be seen in the UK . According to the UK 2001 census [12], Black British males were around 50% more likely than black females to marry outside their race, whereas British Chinese women were twice as likely as their male counterparts to marry someone from a different ethnic group. Among British Asians (South Asians, not including Chinese), Pakistani and Bangladeshi males were twice as likely to to have an inter-ethnic marriage than their female counterparts, while Indian and "Other Asian" males were more likely to have an inter-ethnic marriage than their female counterparts by a smaller percentage.

What do yall think about marrying non black people or is this an issue for African American woman?
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by DisGuy: 12:39pm On May 03, 2007
It may also be the result of a desire among African American women to marry African American men due to lingering concepts such as racial loyalty, black solidarity, and the internalized stereotypical belief that non-African American men would not find them attractive.[
Culture

Most people like to stick with what they know and trust
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by whitelexi(m): 12:56pm On May 03, 2007
The law of equal rights has made our women sick in the head, they lack Respect and Obligatory Etiquette. . .

1 Like

Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by DisGuy: 1:06pm On May 03, 2007
Say that again?

[s]I think the poster is refering got articles that states that African-american men are dating non african-american women espceially african african women[/s]

I just read the post again, a non african-american man can also be an African right, i think theres a difference between An african and an african-american.doing my head in
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by AmerOmoge(f): 9:57pm On May 03, 2007
Let me make it simple. . .

It is about black men. . .both African and African -American men marrying non black women. . .leaving black women in a marriage squeeze where they are not getting married for the three reasons identified in the article. . .

My question is. . .is this really a problem for Naija women. . . or just Naija and other Black women abroad i.e. in the States and the UK?

Which leaves me wondering what the fascination is with being with women of other races. . .

@whitelexi please. . .it is not equal rights that did it. . .before we point the finger we must first look at self. . .ask yourself how long would you put up with the typical treatment that men give women before you decide enough is enough and assert yourself, need and desires. . .

Men are not the only humans that have wants and needs and just like when you are not satisfied with something you respond to it either by making a change or letting it be. . . compromise or whatever. . .

Respect is earn not given. . .and even if respect is given once lost it needs to be earned. . .
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by RedLips3(f): 10:04pm On May 03, 2007
whitelexi writes like those Geico cavemen.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by AmerOmoge(f): 10:26pm On May 03, 2007
Red_Lips:

whitelexi writes like those Geico cavemen.

True. . . true. . .
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 1:15am On May 04, 2007
While I would not frown at inter racial dating and marriage,I have a problem with a black man who would solely seek out non black women.
It is a sure sign of a sissy,a man not man enough to love a woman similar to his mother and sisters.

Sadly after these men are taken to the cleaners by these white women,a black woman would be left to pick up the pieces.
Look at the NBA players,succesful black professionals in America including Africans running after all these white women or women who are half a chromosome away from being white.

Before I get bashed by these white-women-seeking brothers,I ain't looking.
I have since retired my fishing nets.
There are tons of beautiful,hardworking eligible sisters out there and there's something they can give a black man that a white woman could never give them.

She is the only that would understand you through and through.
She is the only one that would understand when others see you as inferior.
She is the only one that sees all those potentials in you and would encourage you to go out there and "get it".

I have heard many white-women-chasing brothers say white women are easy to deal with,are fun to be with,don't nag and complain like black women.
Well if you brothers go around worshipping and waiting on them hands and foot they'll be nice.
If you expect your black woman to work like jacky but you'll be cooking and vaccuming and babysitting happily with a white women,isn't that double standards?

I'm not bashing black men,I love 'em and think the best of them,but dating white exclusively ain't right,there's something wrong with it.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 2:45am On May 04, 2007
and when u turn around to look for the so-called "available" black women they are no where to be found. grin
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 2:47am On May 04, 2007
david you're still a small boy but when you're serious cast your net in the right places
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 3:29am On May 04, 2007
babyosisi:

david you're still a small boy but when you're serious cast your net in the right places

that was annoying and uncalled for. Sorry if you lost your sense of humor. You know absolutely nothing about me so i would appreciate you dont say things you have no clue about.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by spoilt(f): 5:05am On May 04, 2007
davidylan:

and when u turn around to look for the so-called "available" black women they are no where to be found. grin

that excuse is so damn old and tired, it creaks!
hate when guys claim "at my level (ask me which level that is! angry) there arent many black women to pick from"
last time i checked you could marry anyone you want, but black  men particularly go out of their way to marry women who are not black.even if its just a drop of "other" blood in there. i attribute it to low self esteem. you need a white woman to on your arm to be taken seriously? enduring s#%t that you wouldnt take from a black woman? running her errands like a dog when you act the king of the castle for black women? please!

70% of black women of marriageble age are single. that ought to make black men sit up and be startled!
[s]its just unfortunate that when the divorce comes a white woman is likely to walk away with all our black money! [/s]
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 5:08am On May 04, 2007
last i checked we were free to marry who we wanted. Why the obsession with black men who marry non black women? Is it now a federal crime?
And NO these "stereotype" that black men who marry white women end up being slaves to them is completely wrong! It is nothing more than a cheap shot below the belt.
I've dated white before, i wasnt running errands for anyone and we both knew who was firmly in charge of the drivers seat.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by spoilt(f): 5:14am On May 04, 2007
no.not a crime.
just dont attribute the reason to black women not being adequate or too money hungry, too aggresive too fat, too thin. too muscular, too nappy headed, too dark, too religious, too inhibited, too tall, too short, too cheap, too sweaty, too fried chicken loving, too expensive, too pretty, too family oriented, too what else? (did i leave anything out? angry) . almost forgot, or as some people put it "no where to be found"! undecided
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by spoilt(f): 5:18am On May 04, 2007
davidylan:

I've dated white before, i wasnt running errands for anyone and we both knew who was firmly in charge of the drivers seat.

i ve had lots of guy friends dating white women. it always puzzles me that they go way overboard and beyond for these white girls cheerfully without complaining .something they never did or considered worth doing for black women. [s]but then again white girls are princesses and should be treated as such[/s]. when you land one she's precious and you better treat her right!
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 5:23am On May 04, 2007
spoilt:

i ve had lots of guy friends dating white women. it always puzzles me that they go way overboard and beyond for these white girls cheerfully without complaining .something they never did or considered worth doing for black women. [s]but then again white girls are princesses and should be treated as such[/s]. when you land one she's precious and you better treat her right!

those are the "lots of guy friends" you know, they do not represent the rest of us. A woman is a woman as far as i'm concerned, skin color does not give one a preference over the other.

spoilt:

no.not a crime.
just don't attribute the reason to black women not being adequate or too money hungry, too aggresive too fat, too thin. too muscular, too nappy headed, too dark, too religious, too inhibited, too tall, too short, too cheap, too sweaty, too fried chicken loving, too expensive, too pretty, too family oriented, too what else? (did i leave anything out? angry) . almost forgot, or as some people put it "no where to be found"! undecided

my dear, they are truly no where to be found. I've been looking for 2 yrs, i cant find a decent one around. I wont settle for a baby mama simply because she must be black, if she's what i want in a woman, that she's white is a non issue.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by spoilt(f): 5:32am On May 04, 2007
@davidylan
but its ironic that marriageable white women abound in every nook and cranny? even when uneducated and distasteful to look at black men find them desperately attractive. yawn! yawn! yawn!
its hilarious that all black guys insist they are different. "i handle my white woman firmly. she knows who's boss". yeah right! grin

like i said before you can marry who you want, but its when black guys from the age of ten in their villages in naija declare "im going to marry a white woman when i grow up "like its an ambition or occupation thats when i know theres a huge black male ego problem at work.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 5:45am On May 04, 2007
spoilt:

@davidylan
but its ironic that marriageable white women abound in every nook and cranny? even when uneducated and distasteful to look at black men find them desperately attractive. yawn! yawn! yawn!
its hilarious that all black guys insist they are different. "i handle my white woman firmly. she knows who's boss". yeah right! grin

When you say "all" black guys i'm left wondering when you conducted your oppinion poll or if you are merely extrapolating from the experiences of ur friends.

spoilt:

like i said before you can marry who you want, but its when black guys from the age of ten in their villages in naija declare "im going to marry a white woman when i grow up "like its an ambition or occupation thats when i know theres a huge black male ego problem at work.

yeah, as usual we extrapolate isolated experiences to each and everyone else.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by spoilt(f): 5:56am On May 04, 2007
you dont have to acknowledge there's a "problem". the statistics are almost alarming!

but what is to be expected?. with threads on nairaland like " how to toast a white girl. how to approach white girls. how to seduce white girls, how to get white girls to look your way. how to trap white girls and take them home to mama, how to sample white girls, how to marry white girls, how to be attractive to white girls, how to get white girls to smile at you, how to jump for white girls, how to run errands for white girls, how to vaccum for white girls, how to do laundry for white girls. how to write a white girls thesis, how to brush a white girls hair, how to loose weight for a white girl, etc etc etc.and its not just the original posters, its also the advice that people actually give him! i mean, they actually humor him with a response. no, seriously people? seriously? it gives you a feel of the mindset of many. LUCKY WHITE GIRLS. ALL THIS ATTENTION.
its becoming ridiculous.
ive laughed enough for one night. im out of here.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 8:02am On May 04, 2007
there's an undercurrent of inferiority complex that links all the sistas' responses on this thread

imagine this?:

but black men particularly go out of their way to marry women who are not black.even if its just a drop of "other" blood in there.

a woman is a woman whether she's black, white, red or green. the earlier you ladies realize that the better for you so u can all stop being paranoid about issues that exist only in your imagination. last time i checked peopple were still free to marry whomever they felt comfortable with. no crime in it
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 04, 2007
@ ziddy,

i also wonder. Why all the overheated response anytime a guy shows the slightest preference for white women? I thought life was all about freedom of expression and choice.
Yes some like white women just like so many girls here pretending to love black brothers wont hesitate to jump off a cliff if a white guy merely smiles at them!
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by spoilt(f): 3:56pm On May 04, 2007
ziddy:

so u can all stop being paranoid about issues that exist only in your imagination.

in our imagination ke ? is this guy the biggest joker ever? its an epidemic right in our faces!

i guess women and men think differently. black guys have a perceived history of being jail birds, never do wells, lazy, not holding down jobs, being moochers and leechers and all the blah blah. have all the black women stampeded off to marry other races? (not that they wont be justified!) but they havent. they still want the strong black brother who is "no where to be found" like some people i know put it. so they wait in vain till menopause! i suggest black women be more open and start considering their different options too.they should quit saying tufiakwa to marrying a white, pink, purple man. this marriage squeeze is a reality. whether we admit it or not.  undecided
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 04, 2007
@ spoilt

listen to urself--

black guys have a perceived history of being jail birds, never do wells, lazy, not holding down jobs, being moochers and leechers and all the blah blah

how in the world can anything meaningful come out of a liaison b.t.w somebody like you, and the 'strong black brother' when you've sentenced him to a negative stereotype beforehand, and you will jump at the slightest opportunity to reduce him to the sum of his faults (both real and imaginary).

it has been proved beyond doubt that,10 times out of 10, you get exactly what you expect out of life.

the mindset/ideological-bent that has pre-eminence in a person's mind is invariably manifested, physically, into his life.
as above, so below. that's the first law of the imaginative world.

are you still wondering why you've been searching in vain for that strong black brther?
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by DisGuy: 4:25pm On May 04, 2007
Thank you @ Ameromoge, my head was not in the right place before wink
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 04, 2007
@ ziddy, spoilt is married so she is not searching.

spoilt:

i guess women and men think differently. black guys have a perceived history of being jail birds, never do wells, lazy, not holding down jobs, being moochers and leechers and all the blah blah. have all the black women stampeded off to marry other races?

I suppose the above applies only to african american males and not all black males in general. Perhaps the reason all black women have not stampeded off to marry all other races (most of them would do so in a heart beat!) is because the "other races" are not too keen on the black women either. Sad truth but a fact.

spoilt:

(not that they wont be justified!) but they havent. they still want the strong black brother who is "no where to be found" like some people i know put it. so they wait in vain till menopause! i suggest black women be more open and start considering their different options too.they should quit saying tufiakwa to marrying a white, pink, purple man. this marriage squeeze is a reality. whether we admit it or not. undecided

Maybe black women should be more open to the black men who come their way rather than behaving as if the world revolves around their feet only to start hyperventilating about the scarcity of black men when they are ready to settle down. One needs only look at the general attitude of most of the ladies here to understand why the marriage squeeze exists.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by DisGuy: 4:37pm On May 04, 2007
how in the world can anything meaningful come out of a liaison b.t.w somebody like you, and the 'strong black brother' when you've sentenced him to a negative stereotype beforehand, and you will jump at the slightest opportunity to reduce him to the sum of his faults (both real and imaginary).

good one @ ziddy, at the same time they will calim to 'sees all those potentials in you and would encourage you to go out there and "get it".'

It's as if you cant go out there and be what you want before they come along.

In london i don't see blacks/nigerians going out of their way to marry a white girl, but i notice some people especially jjc with the sole intention of getting a piece like it is on the agenda before coming.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 8:29pm On May 04, 2007
that was annoying and uncalled for. Sorry if you lost your sense of humor. You know absolutely nothing about me so i would appreciate you don't say things you have no clue about.

no hard feelings at all.
I'm a big girl and well able to handle anything.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by AmerOmoge(f): 9:50pm On May 04, 2007
@ziddy this is the first time that in the many threads we have shared. . . that I must disagree with you brotha. . .what spoilt says and experiences is a reality for black women everywhere regardless of the continent,

I think you misunderstand her. . .what she is trying to convey to you and the black men on this thread. . . is that given the black man's history and circumstances we (BLACK women) have waited. . .we have never in drobes turned our backs on black men the way that yall (BLACK men) have done us. . . Not certain about other countries but i do know in the states that educated. . .well-to-do black women out number men. . . they are plentiful, with all the characteristics that davidylan and all other balck men seek, however we lack one quality, characteristic we were not born white.  This is not fiction or fantasy. . . and yes legally you have the right to marry whomever you choose. . .but the bigger picture is this what about our black families. . .how do we instill the traditions/culture into the next generation when they no longer have strong roots to hold on to. . .and typically continue to move further and further away from their blackness. . .

There is no other culture more open and forgiving than ours. . .we accept others despite the hurt they have caused in our past and continue to do in our present. . .no other woman can ever love you in totality like a black woman. . .

She has been where you been. . .side by side with you and even when you left her behind for a so called better life. . . if and when you return she takes you back with open arms. . . ready to raise your children and instill values and morals that surpass any other. . .this not to say that we are better than any other woman but that we are your other half. . . your neck if you will. . .when the world degrades you and call you names as your neck I help you hold your head high and give you the strength it takes to face this cruel discriminatory world another day . . .

I nag you because I care, because I want the best from you. . .because this is what I pledge to give you. . . I wont allow you to slip because the world wont and I will only be doing you a disservice if I don't tell you the truth regardless to how much it hurts. . .

As the mother of civilization. . .do you know how it aches my heart to see you turn your back on me. . .to throw away the beauty and hertiage we created. . .

And if you want freedom of choice I have afforded you that as well. . .I have given an array of colors and textures to choose from (there are black women as fair as Ms. Jolie to as dark as Ms. Whoopi) why must you treat me as if I am not good enough to be your queen. . .

I think I will end here and allow you digest what I am saying and pleading to you. . .

I AM NOT A RACIST BUT CANT YOU SEE. . . YOUR INVOLVEMENT WITH HER IS DESTROYING THE US IN WE. . .
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 04, 2007
My sister ameromoge,I love you.
That submission was classical.
There is nothing to add or take away.
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Seun(m): 10:08pm On May 04, 2007
If black men are turning to white women, then black women can equally turn to white men. Where's the problem?
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by AmerOmoge(f): 10:08pm On May 04, 2007
babyosisi:

My sister ameromoge,I love you.
That submission was classical.
There is nothing to add or take away.

thank you girl,
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by AmerOmoge(f): 10:12pm On May 04, 2007
Seun:

If black men are turning to white women, then black women can equally turn to white men. Where's the problem?

the problem is this my gracious ruler of nairaland,

No other man can appreciate the uniqueness and beauty of a Black women. . .Very few white men find our physical characteristics appealling. . .We do not fit their image of beautiful. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lost Girl Found Wandering Around Emir's Palace In Gombe State. Photo / Igbos Vs Yorubas: Similarities In Diversity / NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.