Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? (62463 Views)

Angina Pectoris: My Story, My Experience / Doctor In The House - Cardiac Problems, High Blood Pressure, Chest Pain(angina) / Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 2:06am On Sep 19, 2010
Hi. Cardiologists in the house I need your help with this because I know of such a person (ie in their 20s who was told that they had angina by their doctor. She had pain on the left side of her chest and after speaking with a physician, was given treatment for angina, since they it was the conditions he suspected. The drugs she was given actually gave her relief which died away when she stopped taking the medication. But when we both went online to research on the disease, we found information saying that angina affects middle aged people. And we also found that it can lead to a myocardial infarction.
What is the real cause of angina and can young people actually suffer from it?
Thanks for your help.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by tpiah: 2:12am On Sep 19, 2010
if she has a family history of heart disease, yes.

other increased risk factors include smoking, hbp, diabetes, high cholesterol, physical inactivity.

1 Like

Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 2:30am On Sep 19, 2010
Thanks a lot.
She does have a FH of heart disease and is kindof inactive. . . .
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by tpiah: 2:43am On Sep 19, 2010
you're welcome.

she needs to exercise more and eat healthier.

she should continue seeing her doctor, btw.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 4:01am On Sep 19, 2010
**are you a doctor?**
and please another question,
Is she at a higher risk of dying at an early age cos of the disease?
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Odunnu: 4:30am On Sep 19, 2010
Whenever death comes,she'l die. Whts ur religion?
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by tpiah: 4:57am On Sep 19, 2010
fellis:

**are you a doctor?**
and please another question,
Is she at a higher risk of dying at an early age cos of the disease?

no, i'm not a doctor.

she can try as much as possible to reduce the chances of a major heart attack, and the sooner she starts, the better. Especially since she has a family history of heart problems.

she has to work with her doctor though. and see a dietician about food choices.

but worrying about it wont help either. People die of various things. She should just be more proactive, that's all.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 19, 2010
^you sure know a lot about this issue for a person not practising medicine. Thanks and I appreciate your help.
@odunnu, my faith teaches me that one dies when they are supposed to. I just wanted to know if her chances are higher. That's all.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Romeo4real(m): 12:40pm On Sep 19, 2010
Angina is basically chest pain or discomfort arising from a decreased flow of oxygenated blood to the heart. This can be caused by a quite a few factors, with the most likely being coronary heart disease - this is when the arteries that feed the heart with oxygenated blood become narrowed/blocked. This blockage is usually caused by fatty deposits in the arteries. Is the person obese or overweight?

Be aware that angina is not a disease, but a symptom of a potentially more serious underlying condition. Risk factors include a family history of angina or heart disease, bad diet, diabetes, obesity, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, etc. It can affect anyone, tough it is more prevalent in middle aged/older people. The doctor is correct in saying that it could lead to a myocardial infarction - heart attack.

You need to find out the underlying cause of the angina and get treatment for it asap.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by obedobi: 1:14pm On Sep 19, 2010
What i recommend is with guarantee your not buying anything from me i will show you what i use myself and my father too with 100% result
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 19, 2010
^For the person in question, I believe that her family history or inactivity is the cause.
And please, what consists of a bad diet or what exactly does a bad diet mean? I ask cos I don't want to end up having the disease, from our research, we found that the condition has no cure and one is stuck on medications for life.
And lastly, since such a young person has angina, is it also possible for twenty somethings to have high blood pressure?
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 19, 2010
please my question above was directed to Romeo.
@obed, thank you for trying to help but I already said sees a doctor presently.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by hackney(m): 8:15pm On Sep 19, 2010
obed , if you dont have any helpful public contributions to make to
the posters plight, then shut up! !.
Dont ask people to call you.
You are not a doctor.

@poster: what tpia said smiley
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Gamine(f): 8:21pm On Sep 19, 2010
If this person is in Nigeria, I'm even surprised they diagnosed this.
I had a family friend who had a heart-attack and died in his middle twenties.
He was misdiagnosed at first.

Please look into this asap! Magnesium is good for the heart (A relative with heart condition uses this)
The person would have to take a lot of these supplements.
I could come back with a list if you want
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 19, 2010
^Haba grin is healthcare in Naija so bad that they cannot diagnose angina grin? But you do have a point because initially when she went to complain to the doctor he gave her Gestid for ulcer. It was only after she went back to complain that gestid did not bring relief that they went ahead to send her for tests and diagnosed angina.
I fear for her sha. Sometimes she just lies down for hours, unable to do anything because of the chest pain.
Please post the list Gamine. I could print it.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Gamine(f): 1:49am On Sep 20, 2010
Hmm, Naija doctors are a dangerous breed oh.

If your ailment is not caused by Anopheles, It would take
special treatment for them to diagnose the right thing.

What is Angina?
It's a CHD (coronary heart disease) due to hardening and furring up of he coronary arteries
The heart muscle is then starved of oxygen-rich blood which triggers the pain.

Sh can still use the drugs tha have been prescribed , but she will need such supplements to
be used always.

Magnesium supplements + Magnesuim rich foods,
why?
It is an important element which helps to control calcium entry into heart cells
to trigger a regular heartbeat.
It is a co-factor in the metabolism of faty acids.
It helps to widen the coronary blood vessels.
It has also been shown to reduce high blood pressure
and is used in dealing with stress.

Food sources; Soybeans, Green leafy vegetables, Brewer's yeast

Low-levels of magnesium can lead to sudden death.
Also make sure there's a good calcium intake.

The supplement is most likely found in reputable pharmacies in Lagos.

L-Arginine

why?
It is an amino-acid which helps to relieve stress
It is used to produce Nitric Oxide (NO) which is essential for blood vessel dilation
NO is also involved in regulation of blood pressure.
It is used to reduce abnormally raised cholesterol levels, also the hardened and
furred up arteries.

Recommended food -- onions, egg yolk, grapes, brown rice

Bromelain

why?
It is a group of enzymes which could act as a blood-thinner
it works by reducing platelet clumping.
It is very effective with those with Angina, symptoms have been found
to have disappeared within three months of taking 1000-1350 mg of it.(250-500mg daily)

L-Carnitite

why?
An amino-acid made in the liver, it helps to neutralize the effects of fatty acids to heart cells
It helps to lower cholesterol levels. It overall improves cardiac function.

Food sources: Lamb, Avocado, Soybeans

The other ones include;

Iron and Vitamin C (which is a powerful anti-oxidant)

Her Diet

Including what is listed above,
she shouldn't take salt anymore,
She should take a lot of green and black tea.
More fibre (Oats)and sources of omega-3 oil (Fish!, She can use supplements too)
instead of groundnut oil or palm oil, olive oil could used to cook anything!.
(I've eaten Ogbono made with olive oil, i was pleasantly surprised.

There's still some left out but you can try out these,

cheers!

1 Like

Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Gamine(f): 1:58am On Sep 20, 2010
Hmm, Naija doctors are a dangerous breed oh.

What is Angina?

It's a CHD (coronary heart disease) due to hardening and furring up of the coronary arteries

She can still use the drugs that have been prescribed , but she will need to use the
following supplements always.

why?
It is an important element which helps to control calcium entry into heart cells

L-Arginine

why?
It is used to produce Nitric Oxide (NO) which is essential for blood vessel dilation
It is used to reduce abnormally raised cholesterol levels, also the hardened and
furred up arteries.

Bromelain

why?
to have disappeared within three months of taking 1000-1350 mg of it.(250-500mg daily)

L-Carnitite

why?

An amino-acid made in the liver, it helps to neutralize the effects of fatty acids to heart cells

The other ones include;

Her Diet

More fibre (Oats)and sources of omega-3 oil (Fish!, She can use supplements too)

cheers!
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Gamine(f): 2:11am On Sep 20, 2010
mm, Naija doctors are a dangerous breed oh.

What is Angina?

It's a CHD (coronary heart disease) due to hardening and furring up of the coronary arteries

She can still use the drugs that have been prescribed , but she will need to use the
following supplements always.

why?

L-Arginine

why?
furred up arteries.

Bromelain

why?

L-Carnitite

why?

The other ones include;

Her Diet

cheers!
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Gamine(f): 2:16am On Sep 20, 2010
Holly molly!

I've tried posting several times and it keeps disappearing undecided
You would have to look at my posts from my profile to see what i wrote

cheers!
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 2:43am On Sep 20, 2010
pretty odd for a person in his/her 20s. Its even more bizarre if the individual is female as angina is not as common in women under 45. I'd advise your friend gets immediate attention. I doubt if this is just because of obesity . . . it takes donkey yrs for atherosclerosis to develop.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by oyinda3(f): 7:33am On Sep 20, 2010
like ppl already said, she seems too young to have a heart disease.

what does the pain feel like? does she get the pain when she breathes or is the pain external, ie she can feel it when she touches/applies pressure on the area?
what other symptoms does she have?
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 20, 2010
@Gamine, thank you very, very much. I appreciate. I really do.
@davidylan,
I know it is unusual that was even why I came to NL to ask. I hardly ever hear of such young people suffering from heart conditions. They put her on 3 drugs presently;indomethacid, nitroglycerin and a last one I don't remember the name of.
@oyinda,
all I know about the pain, what she said; is that it is sharp, she feels it at the left side of her chest and sometimes it spreads to her left arm and back. I would have to ask again from her to know more.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Gamine(f): 11:33am On Sep 20, 2010
You are welcome

Indomethacin is just a pain reliever and it has a side effect on the kidneys (Nephropathy) it also interferes with Vitamin C absorption.
Nitrogycerin, Nitrates are good but if you stop using them, the pain would come back and sometimes even more
than what was there.

I have to mention, if you buy any supplement it should be Solgar brand where possible.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Gamine(f): 11:34am On Sep 20, 2010
You are welcome

Indomethacin is just a pain reliever and it has a side effect on the kidneys (Nephropathy) it also interferes with Vitamin C absorption.
Nitrogycerin, Nitrates are good but if you stop using them, the pain would come back and sometimes even more
than what was there.

I have to mention, if you buy any supplement it should be Solgar brand where possible.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Romeo4real(m): 12:08am On Sep 21, 2010
@Fellis -

A bad diet would be a diet high in saturated fats/oils, processed foods, high sugar/salt intake, lack of fruits and vegetables, no roughage, minimum fiber, high alcohol intake, etc.
To have a good diet, reduce your intake of red meat, salt, sugar and sugary drinks. Cut out all unnecessary fat from your diet, cook with as little oil as possible, drink more water, eat more fruits, vegetables and fish, NO smoking, NO alcohol.

Whilst she is certainly young, this by no means excludes her from suffering from Angina Pectoris. The symptoms you have described certainly do seem similar to angina symptoms (I am not a medical doctor, just using my limited knowledge as a health professional).
As i already said, there are many causes of angina. If she is not obese or excessively overweight, does not consume alcohol or smoke in excessive amounts, then it is highly unlikely that her angina is due to Atherosclerosis.
The cause may likely be congenital (something she was born with) - There are quite a few congenital conditions that can cause angina. This may just be manifesting itself now.

The medication she was put on (Nitroglycerin) is indeed prescribed for angina, but the Indomethacin is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug used to reduce fever, pain, stiffness, and is commonly prescribed for  rheumatoid arthritis. It is highly toxic in the wrong dosages and has quite severe side effects. I cannot see any viable reason why she would be prescribed this drug as it has no direct effect on her angina.

She needs to get another diagnosis and probably undergo more tests that will indeed confirm she suffers from angina. Also, the underlying cause will have to be found. Please do check if she is anemic, as severe anemia increases the likelihood of angina. Also check if she suffers from high blood pressure.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Romeo4rea1: 12:19am On Sep 21, 2010
@ Fellis -

This is Romeo with my other ID. I replied your question, in addition to posting some important infor regarding the discussion, but the spambots have grabbed it and suspended my privileges. You should be able to get it on my profile, or just give me ur email add, and i can send to you.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Gamine(f): 12:54am On Sep 21, 2010
I wonder why my posts keep disappearing  undecided

You are welcome, Fellis
just check my profile again. . .
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 1:44am On Sep 21, 2010
fellis:

all I know about the pain, what she said; is that it is sharp, she feels it at the left side of her chest and sometimes it spreads to her left arm and back. I would have to ask again from her to know more.

This is most likely cardiac problems. I had a similar left side chest pain some months ago but it only came only following deep breathing or sudden, sharp movement. After a few days of intense panic, turns out i had hurt my muscles the week before.

But for pain that radiates to the left arm and back . . . that is very serious. Your friend shld get help.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by Nobody: 6:00am On Sep 21, 2010
Why is spambot spoiling things for me now. Thanks, I'll check your profiles.
Re: Can A Person In Their Twenties Have Angina? by oyinda3(f): 6:27pm On Sep 21, 2010
Fellis, you didn't answer the question I posed earlier about whether she gets the pain from breathing (more dangerous). or if she gets it when she touches or applies pressure to the area (less dangerous). this is an important question to ask her the next time you see her.
you can also read this excerpt i found online:

----
"The groups who most commonly have angina  are men older than 45 and women over 55 who have clogged arteries supplying blood to the heart.  Those arteries are called coronary arteries and those people have coronary artery disease.

Occasional young people have angina, that is pain in middle of front of chest that may be mild, but is brought on by exercise and relieved in 5 minutes by rest.  These young people have severe abnormality of a valve in the heart or of the muscle of the heart.  In most of these the abnormality is easily heard with a stethoscope, but occasionally an echocardiogram is needed.

[b]If you can reproduce your pain by pushing firmly on the spot that hurts, then you have proven that the pain comes from muscles between the ribs or the joinst between ribs and breastbone.  This is called chest wall pain and is just a nuisance, not a threat to life or health.  If pushing on your chest doesn't hurt, then you should probably see a doctor [/b]other than your father, ask him to listen to your account of your pain and to listen to your heart.  Ask if the doctor thinks you should have an echocardiogram.  The fact that you can bicycle and walk uphill probably means that you don't have heart trouble at all."
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Heart-Cardiology-964/Angina-1.htm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mastubation, Any Effects? / 10 Myths And Facts About Getting Pregnant / Family Of Dead Nigerian Nurse On The Run

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.