Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! (15258 Views)

Pastor Cancelled My Friend's Wedding Because Of Premarital Sex. / My Friend Saw Her Late Mother In HELL FIRE :'( :'( / My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by warrior01: 8:12pm On Sep 22, 2010
RCCG Marriage doctrine:
Marriage is btw two people - a man and his wife. It shouldn't involve a third party (the child in this case). The couple can still get married after the child is born (provided other rules are followed)

Your argument doesn't hold any water. So you are saying Joseph made a mistake or committed a sin by marrying Mary knowing fully well she was carrying a 'third party? My guy, pls look for another excuse. If you really a true follower of Christ and not of men you would agree with me that the action taken by the Church or the pastor in question was from the pit of hell. What if the lady didn't make it before her due date? Please can you show me Christ like attitude in this wickedness
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by vorosmartm(m): 8:43pm On Sep 22, 2010
RCCG members don too plenty and they are looking for ways to pursue them.
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 22, 2010
Warrio, ur own comparison is even worse. U might say anything else to negate the church's action but liking it to that of Joseph&Mary isnt corresponding. Joseph was foretold about Marys situation by the Angel, they both new a messiah was coming from mary that was formed without having intimacy no? The two pple here had sex to bring in the 3rd party&its not God that spoke what the lady in question is carrying like that of Jesus
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by tpiah: 8:55pm On Sep 22, 2010
warrior01:

Your argument doesn't hold any water. So you are saying Joseph made a mistake or committed a sin by marrying Mary knowing fully well she was carrying a 'third party? My guy, pls look for another excuse. If you really a true follower of Christ and not of men you would agree with me that the action taken by the Church or the pastor in question was from the pit of hell. What if the lady didn't make it before her due date? Please can you show me Christ like attitude in this wickedness

abeg stop misquoting the bible.

Is it Christlike to be carrying a huge tummy at your own wedding like nigerians are wont to do.

even in traditional times, emphasis was placed on the girl's virginity.

matt 1 vs 19:

18This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. 19Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.

they had already completed some basic ceremonies or how else would divorce be applicable here.

do you divorce a fiancee?
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by Nobody: 9:03pm On Sep 22, 2010
Brilliant tpiah.
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 22, 2010
Brilliant tpiah.
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by warrior01: 9:20pm On Sep 22, 2010
abeg stop misquoting the bible.

Is it Christlike to be carrying a huge tummy at your own wedding like nigerians are wont to do.

even in traditional times, emphasis was placed on the girl's virginity.

Even if it is not Christ like to be carrying big tummy on your wedding day, who are you to pass judgement on another. Using the same argument about Mary and Joseph, do you also know the plan of God concerning these people? Let call a spade a spade, what the RCCG did was wrong. Because somebody did wrong so you had to throw the 'baby away with the bath water'? Whose teachings are we even supposed to follow; G.O's or Christ teachings? Like I said, anyone who thinks he or she is without no wrongs should throw the first stone
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by deniyor: 9:33pm On Sep 22, 2010
^^^ Are we talking about the same bible that said the marriage bed should be kept undefiled?
Abeg go siddon. If you don't like what the church, go hang yourself or go somewhere else. Na by force?
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by Sonye(f): 10:46pm On Sep 22, 2010
I realize that when it comes to churches, human beings are ready to challenge the laws. Lets forget the bible for a second. A law IS a law. I am anglican and in my church in lagos, the same law of not wedding pregnant people has been stated. DEAL WITH IT!!!  angry  angry
If the church had married them, there must be one person ready to challenge the church to prove the church isn't acting according to the will of God or something highly irrelevant. Please get a grip lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by bodejohn(m): 12:56am On Sep 23, 2010
When the church welcome known criminals we condemn her,
When she shuts her door against in-disciplined people, we still crucify her, So what do we want from the church?
Whatever happened to the full match box that our fore fathers used to send to their bride's family after the first
night of the couple if she was met a virgin?
What will make a woman open her legs to a man that is not in any way committed to her through legally consummated marriage, let alone do it flesh to flesh. I see it more as irresponsibility on the part of the two consenting adults which could lead to anything ranging from STDs to the dreaded AIDS virus. The guy can even deny paternity of the unborn child turning the girl or lady to a single parent with an illegitimate son or daughter.
I am married to a virgin, I honor and respect her not because of what the church said but because she is a virtuous woman. Call me old school, I don't care!
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by tpiah: 1:00am On Sep 23, 2010
warrior01:

Even if it is not Christ like to be carrying big tummy on your wedding day, who are you to pass judgement on another. Using the same argument about Mary and Joseph, do you also know the plan of God concerning these people? Let call a spade a spade, what the RCCG did was wrong. Because somebody did wrong so you had to throw the 'baby away with the bath water'? Whose teachings are we even supposed to follow; G.O's or Christ teachings? Like I said, anyone who thinks he or she is without no wrongs should throw the first stone

as long as there are other options for the couple, then what's the big deal.

they can either get married at the registry or another church.

if they had no other way of getting married, then that's a different matter.

if you dont want people to pass judgement on you, then dont put yourself in a compromising position.

i already mentioned traditional customs where the bride gets in big trouble if she's found not to be a virgin on her wedding night. Do you have anything to say about that.

in this instance, why did the couple have to wait for the pregnancy to be discovered- they could have owned up to everything beforehand and before setting a wedding date. That way all these issues would have been ironed out in a neater manner.
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by kcjazz(m): 2:10am On Sep 23, 2010
I have a few questions

Is the church here to enforce rules?
Is this about premarital sex or pregnancy (results of sex)? The message I hear is no sex before marriage but if you do just don't get pregnant cos you will be caught.

My point is as Christians/churches if we focus on a relationship with God the virtues will follow.
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by jookunlaja(m): 4:44am On Sep 23, 2010
Hello,my Eyonigger,please can you kindly educate me more on your friend,whose wedding was canceled by the Redeemed Church,I find it very strange to believe.
I dont think you are saying the truth.Many pregnant couples are now being wedded in many churches right from the altar.
Where did your case happened and when.I want to confirm it from Redeem Church diary before I know what to say about your friend.
You can reach me on seunjoseph7@yahoo.com if you cant share the information publicly.
Maybe,the church will have to apologize to your friend if the allegation is not grounded.
Thanks
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by ochungal(f): 5:20am On Sep 23, 2010
From observation of the propronants for this church having the right to administer preganancy tests, and also as an outsider, I sum up the responses to Tradition intertwined with culture, and not having anything to do with the Christian faith. NO church in the western Hemisphere holds authority to impede upon members in such a manner. The ONLY time a pastor refuse to do a burial or wedding is when the parties aren't members of their congregation, that is rare because churches don't turn down money.

NO WOMAN should allow herself to be demeaned by ANYONE! A Church is just that. Not Planned ParentHood or a medical clinic. Those home kits or also known for reading false-positives. The church should busy itself with inviting the medical community to do free onsite AIDS/HIV testing if they want something to do! If a couple wants to get married charge them for the use of the facility and the pastors time and use the money to feed the hungry and to aide the sick and elderly instead of worring about a woman's womb. The Superior Being is the MASTER of all things great and small, not MAN. Too much Jesus Christ on this earth and not even the real one would be bothered by a woman's womb.
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by Echidime(m): 7:29am On Sep 23, 2010
DID YOUR FATHER MARRIED YOUR MOTHER IN ANY CHURCH? Africans should embrace their culture,for the BEAUTY OF THE PEOPLE LIES IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THEIR CULTURE AND TRADITION.

Do away with this foreign nonsense.The man your going to for him to bless your marriage in the form of uniting you and your wife, is he Purer and Holier than your Elders in both family? Who has giving their Blessings on the wedding?
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by sirmseen(m): 7:55am On Sep 23, 2010
What if she had aborted the baby b4 wedding, church would just go ahead and wed them without caring that a life had been lost! I think church should just go ahead and wed intending couples without interfering with their private lives. A church should preach and advice . Na bearer of burden would bear another's burden or warever it is the bible preaches
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by Sonye(f): 8:11am On Sep 23, 2010
Infact that reminds me. I know many people that were refused wedding in my church that had to go to RCCG and were accepted. eyonigger, I'm not too sure you were given the real gist about what happened
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 23, 2010
. . . Straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel . . .
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by initiate: 9:08am On Sep 23, 2010
Sonye:

Infact that reminds me. I know many people that were refused wedding in my church that had to go to RCCG and were accepted. eyonigger, I'm not too sure you were given the real gist about what happened

yes o and even in this particular case the couple even got married in another church where the girls uncle na pastor. eyonigga you sure say the guy na your friend or you just come here dey spread the gist you overheard
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by nkilirox(f): 9:14am On Sep 23, 2010
Would the church have preferred her having an abortion?
What if the couple had sex and repented of their sin and asked God for forgiveness nko? Is RCCG now saying that even if God forgives, they are higher than God?

I have serious problems with BS like this. It seems that the church is more interested in condemning people than leading them to the way of salvation
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by Sonye(f): 10:08am On Sep 23, 2010
This post is starting to get on my nerves because a lot of you believe what you are reading. If you want to get married, the first thing any church will do is to invite you for weekly marriage counselling. During the time, you will be asked for medical test which includes blood type and the rest of that (well, not all the time). during the counselling, you are advised against sex before marriage. then after that, a date will be booked for you. Period.
If they reject you, you will not even get to the booking stage, OK?
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by oludashmi(f): 10:38am On Sep 23, 2010
nkilirox:

Would the church have preferred her having an abortion?
What if the couple had sex and repented of their sin and asked God for forgiveness nko? Is RCCG now saying that even if God forgives, they are higher than God?

I have serious problems with BS like this. It seems that the church is more interested in condemning people than leading them to the way of salvation
And is pregnancy before marriage or abortion the way of salvation?
Lets think about it, there is no community without a law/rule/regulation, if your community says this is what they want, you have the option to stay within that location and obey their rules or relocate to another community that accommodates your opinion or belief.

You cant blame any church for this cos the couple to be were aware of the laid down doctrines before they signed their marriage counseling forms and in the course of time, they agreed to follow the doctrine in as much as they will wed in that church, SO WHY SHOULD THE CHURCH BE BLAMED? YOU CANT EAT YOUR CAKE AND HAVE IT!!

If the church will not wed them cos of this, they have an option to go for registry and traditional wedding or when did it become a must for pple to do church wedding if not for all this COME AND SEE ME MENTALITY THAT WE HAVE.

The traditional wedding is the most important cos this is where the bride price is paid, it is where both parties come with witnesses, agreement for the union and it is the covenant that God stands on. While registry is the consent of the government of that land and agreement that they are henceforth couples.
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by abasibles: 10:51am On Sep 23, 2010
u have to know your church doctrine before you do anything, RCCF is like my church Assemblies of God, u have to carry out all the tests before getting married and is for our own good because we esterblish the law and we have to accomplish it
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by martinosi: 10:53am On Sep 23, 2010
Meldrick:

I see no reason why we should be arguing over this issue. Laws are made to guide the conduct of man. Every community, every tribe has laws and every individual must abide by it.
Your friend was very aware of the Redeem policy of No sex before marriage. He was even aware of the fact that he will never be married if his fiancee was pregnant so why does he feel the law should be bent for his sake.

It is not compulsory to wed in the church. Rather than cry wolf, he should go and get married in the court. God recognises the court and traditional marriage. There shouldn't be any big deal.

I agree that there should be guidelines and regulations
that guide the social affairs of a local assembly church.
But when you have laws like "No sex before marriage" which
a dumb law of Obvious reason and "we will not marry you if you
are pregnant before the wedding", it just shows that the so called
Born-Again church is playing religion now!!!

No sex before marriage, DUMB DUMB BUMB as you cannot legislate morality.

No wedding if you are pregnant before wedding, another Dumb law,

These rules just show that the members of these churches CHrisitanity suckss!!!

If they really loved God and knew him they would not have to have these law
as they will be remaining celebate before marriage but to show you how morally depraved some so called Born-Again Nigeria christians are, why
are you having sex wwith a girl 2-3 MONTHS before the wedding when you know
you are going to be having sex after the wedding as much as you want

But again looking at all the brothels,Love-Peddlers, Runs girls, suga daddy
chasers and other sex addicts in Naija i can symphasise with these churches
for having thESE law,  i dont condone the rules but i understand!!!
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by funlover1(m): 3:18pm On Sep 23, 2010
Marriage in Christianity is joining a man and a woman, to join a man with a pregnant woman is like joining 3 folks,
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by tayore: 4:25pm On Sep 23, 2010
Is Sex not Marriage?

If the word 'Marriage' is understood in its real sense, then sex before marriage will literally mean: marry before you marry?

What is marriage and what is sex? I guess the problem we have is that we see both to be different while in actuality they are the same.
The two simply mean the ‘joining of man and woman’. If two people who genuinely love each other (two hearts joining) embrace each other in copulation (2 bodies joining), are they not in order?
The abuse of sex, which needs no definition, is not what I’m talking about here!

Why do people choose to believe that lovers are not married until them have performed some ceremonies?
If they are joined at heart (in true love) why regard them as sinners because of the absence of mere formalities?
What keeps a union? Is it the love between couples or the funfair of formalisation?
Why do we respect shadow above reality?
Why are true feelings of people disregarded in other to uplift man-made norms?

We have succeeded in putting our beliefs above the reality of this matter, which is why this issue I regard as trivial keeps arising. It has become significant because we have been brainwashed into believing it is.
It is a lie that has been accepted as truth because it has not been substantially challenged!

I am not in opposition to the formalization of Unions, my point is, lets not allow it overrule the reality/foundation of Marriage.
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by akacoded: 4:44pm On Sep 23, 2010
, i patiently read all your responses about this topic and the responses of everybody says much of the corrupt moral values youth have imbibed, i will not stand here and talk to you all like im a saint from heaven but truth must be told still and the truth will always catch up with lies no matter what.

, God is not happy with us when we pollute his temple which is our body and if He chooses to destroy that temple(which is that person that goes against His will),no one can querry Him.sex was created by God for our enjoyment and pro-creation but its only in the circumstance of marriage that it should be enjoyed and the church is there to teach members on the importance of obeying God's word and this may include disciplining members atimes.

, someone was saying something about the church doing virginity test as against pregnancy test but we all know that the only virgin in the history of the world to have got pregnant was the blessed virgin mary and whether it was virginity test or pregnancy test,the couple in question have failed it and the church has to maintain it's position on their doctrine but be that as it may,no matter how darkness God can always give light to our darkness.lets look at ourselves in the eye and stand for TRUTH.God is NOT HAPPY with fornication and adultery and nobody that dwells in such will see His kingdom.Jah be we strenght, smiley winkBlest!!!
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by MELAA: 4:59pm On Sep 23, 2010
[size=18pt]Whether accepted or not, sex before marriage is a sin. By the way, if not for lack of self control while not wait till after the wedding, knowing fully well that both of you are going to stay together for the rest of your life, then you can have sex  to your heart content.

After-all is not force to wed in the church. There are many people out there, that did not wed yet nobody is querying them. The truth remains that if you must go to church you must keep to the rules governing the church.
[/size]
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by nkilirox(f): 9:47pm On Sep 23, 2010
oludashmi:

And is pregnancy before marriage or abortion the way of salvation?
Lets think about it, there is no community without a law/rule/regulation, if your community says this is what they want, you have the option to stay within that location and obey their rules or relocate to another community that accommodates your opinion or belief.

You cant blame any church for this cos the couple to be were aware of the laid down doctrines before they signed their marriage counseling forms and in the course of time, they agreed to follow the doctrine in as much as they will wed in that church, SO WHY SHOULD THE CHURCH BE BLAMED? YOU CANT EAT YOUR CAKE AND HAVE IT!!

If the church will not wed them cos of this, they have an option to go for registry and traditional wedding or when did it become a must for pple to do church wedding if not for all this COME AND SEE ME MENTALITY THAT WE HAVE.

The traditional wedding is the most important cos this is where the bride price is paid, it is where both parties come with witnesses, agreement for the union and it is the covenant that God stands on. While registry is the consent of the government of that land and agreement that they are henceforth couples.

Isn't it possible that this couple made a mistake and had sex once and immediately repented and asked for forgiveness? so God has forgiven them, but some church has chosen to override God's forgiveness? Thank God, he is God and not human like us!
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by etinbaba: 10:55pm On Sep 23, 2010
[b]Every disappointment is surpose to be a blessing, any way,d church is a place of discipline and correction,iam sure there is an alternative, if not dis is nt fair at all,
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by tpiah: 4:36am On Sep 24, 2010
nkilirox:

Isn't it possible that this couple made a mistake and had sex once and immediately repented and asked for forgiveness? so God has forgiven them, but some church has chosen to override God's forgiveness? Thank God, he is God and not human like us!

yes, God forgave them but that wont keep the pregnancy from showing. Wishing it away doesnt apply either.

since the "mistake" has become a live being in the lady's tummy, they should have informed the church elders or whoever handles such matters in their congregation, beforehand.

in the olden days, some churches would still discipline them.

not that i dont sympathize with the couple o.
Re: My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! by initiate: 7:48am On Sep 24, 2010
tayore:

Is Sex not Marriage?

If the word 'Marriage' is understood in its real sense, then sex before marriage will literally mean: marry before you marry?

What is marriage and what is sex? I guess the problem we have is that we see both to be different while in actuality they are the same.

so when you have had sex with multiple partners are you married to them all??

there is a world of difference between the two

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? / Why Is Apostolic Faith Church So Quiet Among The Pentecostal Churches? / The Story Of Job. An Example Of God's Wickedness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.