Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

Selfish Individuals Imposed Obasanjo In 1999 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Selfish Individuals Imposed Obasanjo In 1999 (1383 Views)

Obasanjo In Auto-Crash, Escapes Unhurt - Today.ng / Obasanjo In Igbo Attire, Poses With Igbo Leaders (Photo) / Diya And Adisa Already Pardoned In 1999 - Official Gazette Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Selfish Individuals Imposed Obasanjo In 1999 by supereagle(m): 6:24am On Sep 21, 2010
A former Chief of Army Staff, General Ishaya Bamaiyi (rtd), on Monday, said former President Olusegun Obasanjo was imposed on Nigeria in 1999 by selfish individuals.

Bamaiyi, who spoke in Ilorin when receiving an honorary degree from the United Mission Church of Africa Theological College, Ilorin, Kwara State, also traced the current political situation in the country to what he described as the “self-centredness” of Obasanjo.

“Today, I stand vindicated because if they had listened to me then, there would not have been any confusion now. Obasanjo came in and destroyed this country and its cohesiveness as a nation. All that we are facing now can be linked to the activities of Obasanjo who was brought in by some certain individuals,” Bamaiyi, a former COAS during the regime of late Gen. Sani Abacha, said.

Bamaiyi was incarcerated by the Obasanjo’s government for eight years on allegations of conspiracy and an attempt to kill publisher of The Guardian, Mr. Alex Ibru,

Answering a question on his assessment of the presidential ambition of former military president, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, Bamaiyi said that though Babangida had a right as a citizen of Nigeria to aspire to any political office of his choice, he was surprised at his ambition to return to power.

He said, “I feel vindicated because this was the same reason I was sent to prison for eight years. I stood my ground on this issue when we were disengaging. I insisted that we should not hand over to a military person.

“But I think people did not see it the way I saw it. They brought in Obasanjo who was then in prison just like I was. All the confusion we are having now, I believe, can be traced to Olusegun Obasanjo’s selfish, self-centred and unnecessary ambition.

“I am surprised that these same selfish individuals are still battling to get involved in the governance of this country. They still want to rule this country. I don’t know what they left behind that they are itching to come back and collect.”

On his perception of Nigerian prisons today, Bamaiyi said, “I won’t pray that my enemy should be sent there. I will not send my enemies to a prison in Nigeria. Our prisons are in a very bad shape and they are not in a position to reform anybody.

“The worst thing that is happening to Nigerian prisons is the prison staff themselves. The prisons staff are the ones who even need to be reformed. The environment is also very bad.

“Our prisons are not built to rehabilitate anybody because nobody can be rehabilitated by the prisons in their present state and if you are going to start reforming you start from the prison staff themselves,” he said.

He refuted allegations that he was involved in military coups in the past, saying that he had never believed in military intervention in governance.

“If you go back and check my records, I was more involved in foiling coups than staging coups. The military does not have any business in governance. So, they should stay in their barracks and face their jobs,” he stressed.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201009211491129
Re: Selfish Individuals Imposed Obasanjo In 1999 by hercules07: 12:00pm On Sep 21, 2010
Bamaiyi helped foil the Gideon Orkar coup, but that he was not a coup plotter na lie o, he was one ambitious SOB that was even ready to kill his brother because of his ambition. Very, very wicked man.
Re: Selfish Individuals Imposed Obasanjo In 1999 by eros(m): 6:27pm On Sep 21, 2010
So what? You can shove your lousy opinion to up your ass Mr. Bamiyi. All of you, sons of a gun. Thieving Bas.tards you all are.
Re: Selfish Individuals Imposed Obasanjo In 1999 by GBT(m): 7:29pm On Sep 21, 2010
So what? You can shove your lousy opinion to up your backside Mr. Bamiyi. All of you, sons of a gun. Thieving Bas.tards you all are.

SAY IT LOUD BRUV.
MAY GOD FORGIVE ME, I THINK WHATEVER BEFELL HIM HE DESERVED IT!
Re: Selfish Individuals Imposed Obasanjo In 1999 by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 21, 2010
I beg help us ask Bamaiyi what advice he gave abacha when he was destroying Ngr between 1994-1998
Re: Selfish Individuals Imposed Obasanjo In 1999 by supereagle(m): 5:15am On Sep 23, 2010
He set up Gen Diya to stage a coup against Abacha and stayed aside .
Re: Selfish Individuals Imposed Obasanjo In 1999 by nnaemmy(m): 12:13am On Sep 25, 2010
Chief Bamaiyi, uncle Toba dey ask u? grin grin
Re: Selfish Individuals Imposed Obasanjo In 1999 by Nobody: 12:45am On Sep 25, 2010
This is good. Very good. The only thing that can save Nigeria is a war of the elites. Oluwa give them more confusions and disagreement among themselves. Let JEGA run for the president. More confusion for them!

(1) (Reply)

Senator Smart Adeyemi Opposes Bill Allocating N2.2bn For Former Heads Of State / Confirmed: Buhari Quits Presidential Race, Apologise To Supporters. / Sani Abacha: Legacy Of A Great Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.