Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,738 members, 7,806,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

Web Vs Software Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Web Vs Software Development (7431 Views)

Poll: Web Vs Software Development (For the LAYMAN:Which is more interesting to do or which is better, not which comes first ?)

Web development: 100% (1 vote)
Software programming: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

I Want To Start A Career In Software Development / Mobile App Developer VS Web Developer VS Software Developer / My Software Development Journey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Vs Software Development by Dizzy001(m): 5:29pm On Sep 21, 2010
Which out of the two do you prefer and why ?
Please vote
Re: Web Vs Software Development by ToyosiR(f): 9:30am On Sep 22, 2010
I prefer Software Development
Re: Web Vs Software Development by SamMilla1(m): 11:44am On Sep 22, 2010
I am struggling to make connections between the two.
Re: Web Vs Software Development by whizkid10(m): 11:55am On Sep 22, 2010
The two goes together,cos u have to study web first to really understand software developments.
Re: Web Vs Software Development by worldsearc(m): 12:02pm On Sep 22, 2010
I am a Sun Java developer. I graduated from NIIT like 7years ago. I have more than 15years following technology and programming.

From my experience, you can't actually separate the two. When you say software development are you talking about Desktop applications because software still live online.

Most of the technologies used on professional websites are software.

From my many years of toiling in the industry,  I think web application development is more commercially productive in Nigeria compared to Desktop application programming.

As a Java programmer, I spent years making little. I was only good as a staff of a software company that was struggling to survive, but when I broaden my knowledge into building applications for Networks (Internet & Intranet), things suddenly changed. There is a huge market currently in Nigeria for individuals who can seamlessly move within desktop programming and Network applications.

For quick gratification, start with web and later expand into core software design.

8 Likes

Re: Web Vs Software Development by Youngichou(m): 12:29pm On Sep 22, 2010
worldsearc:

I am a Sun Java developer. I graduated from NIIT like 7years ago. I have more than 15years following technology and programming.

From my experience, you can't actually separate the two. When you say software development are you talking about Desktop applications because software still live online.

From my many years of toiling in the industry,  I think web application development is more commercially productive in Nigeria compared to Desktop application programming.

As a Java programmer, I spent years making little. I was only good as a staff of a software company that was struggling to survive, but when I broaden my knowledge into building applications for Networks (Internet & Intranet), things suddenly changed. There is a huge market currently in Nigeria for individuals who can seamlessly move within desktop programming and Network applications.

For quick gratification, start with web and later expand into core software design.

you are the most reasonable human i have ever seen on NL.
Your comment is good

2 Likes

Re: Web Vs Software Development by quadrillio(m): 1:24pm On Sep 22, 2010
worldsearc:

U don tey for d game. I couldn't have said it better.

- SAFE

1 Like

Re: Web Vs Software Development by IBEXY(m): 2:52pm On Sep 22, 2010
The problem is that we have been left behind by tech developments. I agree that most of the action is in web development these days. All the action is in building websites and internet hosted applications

BUT

remember as well that there is a revolution going on now with mobile technology - Apps are mostly like "desktop apllication" written to run on phones, and other mobile devices. I think a good Java programmer's day will come when the app storm finaly hits naija.

Be on the watchout!

2 Likes

Re: Web Vs Software Development by lojik(m): 5:02pm On Sep 22, 2010
As a software and web developer, i would say it is necessary to know the two and even know mobile application development. Some projects require a web portal, a desktop client side and even a mobile version. Most desktop application developers in Naija (including myself) experience a remarkable boost in income the moment they add web development to their skill set.
Re: Web Vs Software Development by SamMilla1(m): 5:11pm On Sep 22, 2010
What i meant up there was that Software development is way ahead of web development. grin
Re: Web Vs Software Development by basking4me: 5:57pm On Sep 22, 2010
It is as a cause of software apps or (desktop apps) being resident on single systems and web apps been resident on the www, it will be only logical to say the entire world is gradually moving in the direction of the WEB.

I will rather build an app that will see more usage online than one that is only resident on a system or that can easily be copied or pirated. Operating systems and games can still hold sway for desktop apps but for the modern day business solution,  they are all going web.

Before anyone can copy your webworks, the person will have to really work meaning more secured and reliable.

So I vote for Web apps. Even ERP  and messaging apps are now run on the web,  my submission!
Re: Web Vs Software Development by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 22, 2010
Sam Milla you are not serious,

Instead make you support Web wey dey bring you ADSENSE! tongue
Re: Web Vs Software Development by SamMilla1(m): 9:07pm On Sep 22, 2010
Donpuzo:

Sam Milla you are not serious,

Instead make you support Web wey dey bring you ADSENSE!  tongue

Actually you can do web dev with very little experience.
But software dev , Mehn you need to be geeky,
Re: Web Vs Software Development by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 22, 2010
Not so true, Can recall a Chat with Mr Quadri Wale, i told him Desktop based applications were more robust and better! He was quick to correct me based on his wide experience, that the Web has more power, cause it works globally! and many other points he gave.

The fact that lots of websites exist does not make Web applications easy, cut the HTML-CSS out and even this minor PHP seen, the web can do almost all that Desktop Applications can achieve!

Some Web application development  can bring script kiddies(i mean amateurs) to their kneels or even delete their Dreamweaver and whatever PHP IDE they use,  from their C:/programs (PS: Last line was first used by Dual Core)

By the thread way how are you doing
Re: Web Vs Software Development by SamMilla1(m): 10:07pm On Sep 22, 2010
I am fine , Thanks for asking,
Re: Web Vs Software Development by occam(m): 10:30pm On Sep 22, 2010
IBEXY:

The problem is that we have been left behind by tech developments. I agree that most of the action is in web development these days. All the action is in building websites and internet hosted applications

BUT

remember as well that there is a revolution going on now with mobile technology - Apps are mostly like "desktop apllication" written to run on phones, and other mobile devices. I think a good Java programmer's day will come when the app storm finaly hits naija.

Be on the watchout!
IBEXY:

great point about mobile technology. I also belief that mobile is still emerging. Huge opportunites for anyone in mobile app & web devpt

BUT

Be on the watchout!
Re: Web Vs Software Development by routik(m): 12:43am On Sep 23, 2010
but when I broaden my knowledge into building applications for Networks (Internet & Intranet), things suddenly changed. There is a huge market currently in Nigeria for individuals who can seamlessly move within desktop programming and Network applications.
Gbam! had it been the owners of mozila firefox started with OS, maybe mozila will not be as popular as it is now. look at skype and all other web (softwares) that has something to do with internet and network, they usually become popular and well known easily.
Re: Web Vs Software Development by tomX1(m): 6:21am On Sep 23, 2010
The choice you make depends on the nature of the solution you are deploying. Some solutions are better on the web and some are better on desktop and LAN/WAN servers. Some are a marriage of both.

I believe many people in Nigeria prefer the web based application option because it helps them circumvent the piracy issue. Others like it because it gives a relatively easier means of coming up with a fairly decent and eye catching and modernistic GUI in a relatively short time as opposed trying same on say Visual c++ (you'd almost grow old doing your GUI).

My preference is still the desk based solution - I am probably a geek like that. I find myself being able to build very fast and robust applications that deploy across networks and servers and still have web interfaces when and where required. I also don't have sleepless nights on the piracy thing. I have invested my time on building security options that work just fine for me.

When you have to build an application for a small client (or some clients generally) they would prefer the desktop option so as to avoid the overhead cost of running their application on the web. Some clients also like to keep their applications of the web for security reasons.

I’d say: Be conversant with all the options and select or integrate them to get your desired solution as the situation warrants

1 Like

Re: Web Vs Software Development by ogzille(m): 8:22am On Sep 23, 2010
Hmmmm, interesting topic

When we say web development, i think we should be looking at programming proper (cos i dnt consider the HTML, CSS as programming)

It takes same level of complexity to do both a web and desktop app.

For the cash levels, i think web apps is in higher demand now
Re: Web Vs Software Development by medoski(m): 9:10am On Sep 23, 2010
interesting
Re: Web Vs Software Development by martinosi: 10:00am On Sep 23, 2010
This post shows the Level of Ignorance regarding IT
in Nigeria and on General awareness of things happenning in the
world in General.

Thats just like saying should i learn how to
develop roads first or learn how to drive a  car !!! lol!!!
Or which comes first the Chicken or the Egg lol!!!

Poster please dont take offense, it just a shame!!!

ITS SOFTWARE 1ST PEOPLE LOL!!!
Re: Web Vs Software Development by Nobody: 10:58am On Sep 23, 2010
@Ogzille, Exactly, those HTML and CSS are just our Graphical User Interface Creators, Even that one bearing Javascript,

Though people like you and DHTML have brought live to Javascript!
Re: Web Vs Software Development by javalove(m): 11:19am On Sep 23, 2010
First, I think the title of thiss thread is misleading. it should be  changed to WEB APPS vc DESKTOP APPS DEVELOPMENT

Secondly, we all have to know that programming in general is about problem solving and the technology, framework or platform that best solves a problem should be embraced by the developer.

When you develop web applications, you are still creating a software just as you code desktop applications. A desktop application developer can easily become a good web developer but its a bit hard for a web developer to become a desktop application developer.

I have been doing both web and desktop (and most recently mobile) application development for over 7 years now and I can say a good understanding of the two platforms will not only make you a better developer but also open you to lots of opportunities.

Like someone rightly said, it's the result of your NEEDS assesement that will determine whether you are to use  desktop, web or mobile application for a project.

If you develop desktop applications using the SWING framework, there are hundreds of API that can make your application initiate and process HTTP requests. And in the SwingX-WS, writing web based desktop applications has never been easier (Its called WEB SWINGING).

The project I am working on now has a desktop and web module.

Bottom line is you will make more money if you understand the two platforms
You have an array of options to choose from when you are planning for a project

So if you want to remain in the game for long, you have to update yourself and change as technologies change. . .

Before I forget, of course I prefer desktop development!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  grin grin grin grin

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: Web Vs Software Development by javalove(m): 11:24am On Sep 23, 2010
martinosi:

This post shows the Level of Ignorance regarding IT
in Nigeria and on General awareness of things happenning in the
world in General.

Thats just like saying should i learn how to
develop roads first or learn how to drive a  car !!! lol!!!
Or which comes first the Chicken or the Egg lol!!!

Poster please dont take offense, it just a shame!!!

ITS SOFTWARE 1ST PEOPLE LOL!!!

You sound even more ignorant than the OP. . .no offense

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated . . !
Re: Web Vs Software Development by worldsearc(m): 11:28am On Sep 23, 2010
I wanted to say that about the poster initially but felt he would be offended.
Re: Web Vs Software Development by SamMilla1(m): 12:44pm On Sep 23, 2010
We can see the differences already. Thanks to some geeks who explained things comprehensively,
Re: Web Vs Software Development by martinosi: 2:47pm On Sep 23, 2010
javalove:

You sound even more ignorant than the OP. . .no offense

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated . . !

YEAH RIGHT, I GUESS THE EGG CAME 1ST IN YOUR CASE LOL!!!

NO NEED REASONING WIT SOME OF U HERE

SAME SH**T DIFFERENT TOILET!
Re: Web Vs Software Development by medoski(m): 3:45pm On Sep 23, 2010
Javalove have spoken our mind
It is like this;functions makes up commands, and commands makes up programs and programs finally
makes up software. Therefore, if you have a degree in software engineering which emcompasses web application development
you should be conversant with some programming skills like Java, VB, C/C++, HTML, Perl etc.

Learn Java, its cool. Java was introduced in 1995, and .NET is Microsoft's response to the Java phenomenon.
Microsoft has jumped headlong into the mobile code fray with their .NET framework, as
.NET architecture has much in common with Java. One major difference is a smaller
emphasis on multiplatform support. However, Java introduced the world to mobile code
and modern network-centric software design. Java is also another good object oriented
programming that is platform independent. Java is an extremely powerful full -featured
object oriented language which is platform independent i.e It can be written in
Windows and run Unix. Just about any business application can be written in Java
which includes: database applications, games applications, web based applications,
mobile applications, server-side applications etc, but, I am afraid to say this –Java is
very difficult to learn. Java is free and can be downloaded from:

http://java.sun .com
http://www.java.com

The various flavors of Java technology are:
J2SE- Corel Desktop
J2EE- Enterprise/Server
J2ME- Mobil/Wireless
Java Card
Java Web Service

visit www.lulu.com/spotlight/onlysose
Re: Web Vs Software Development by SpikesC1: 11:11pm On Sep 27, 2010
This thread is really great, pls our esteemed experienced programmers, i need advice.

1. which programming languages should i learn for both web and desktop based applications.give me in the order of which to learn first and if possible,tell me what all of them does.

2. i have passion for software developing ONLY,so i would like to study computer science but the problem is,my brother being my mentor, said no, that i should go with computer engineering because it is a better degree course. BEng than BSc, i know it is true but i don't like hardware at all, pls help me in selecting my course.
Re: Web Vs Software Development by Binary(m): 5:02am On Sep 28, 2010
You Guys have spoken well. Both are great! Like our country, you make more money when you are doing web application than desktop application. let not deceived ourselves, we are in for money. most Desktop application i mean big project desktop application hard given to Nigerians to developed. They prefer outsiders which the believed they are better than us, So my point here is that is good to start with web application and then advance to Desktop application. Beside Web Application is more expensive compared to desktop application that run alone on off internet.
But which ever area you find yourself both are great,
Spikes C, :

This thread is really great, pls our esteemed experienced programmers, i need advice.

1. which programming languages should i learn for both web and desktop based applications.give me in the order of which to learn first and if possible,tell me what all of them does.

2. i have passion for software developing ONLY,so i would like to study computer science but the problem is,my brother being my mentor, said no, that i should go with computer engineering because it is a better degree course. BEng than BSc, i know it is true but i don't like hardware at all, pls help me in selecting my course.

Being computer engineering or computer science have nothing to do with programming. You can learn programming even when you are not any of the two above. pls dont get me wrong i am a computer scientist, what i am say her in essences is that it have to do with your passion. programming is all about passion. I think that is where we get it wrong. Everybody want learn programming including web because Mr A is doing it i can do it also.NO NO. the question is do you have passion for programming? because is boring, is not friendly and i can tell you programmers are the most happest ple on earth,
Re: Web Vs Software Development by javalove(m): 3:52pm On Sep 28, 2010
Binary:

You Guys have spoken well. Both are great! Like our country, you make more money when you are doing web application than desktop application. let not deceived ourselves, we are in for money. most Desktop application i mean big project desktop application hard given to Nigerians to developed. They prefer outsiders which the believed they are better than us, So my point here is that is good to start with web application and then advance to Desktop application. Beside Web Application is more expensive compared to desktop application that run alone on off internet.
But which ever area you find yourself both are great, 
Being  computer engineering or computer science have nothing to do with programming. You can learn programming even when you are not any of the two above. pls dont get me wrong i am a computer scientist, what i am say her in essences is that it have to do with your passion. programming is all about passion. I think that is where we get it wrong. Everybody want learn programming including web because Mr A is doing it i can do it also.NO NO. the question is do you have passion for programming? because is boring, is not friendly and i can tell you programmers are the most happest ple on earth,   

Dude. . .thats not true. . .Desktop applications are not given to foreign developers  because they are better than us. In most cases, Its because the money for the project can be inflated which means they can make more money from it. ("they" means government officials).

A few government agencies are using my work, especially SON (Standards Organisation) and the same applications you will term as "big"

Bottom line is web applications sells. Desktop applications sells. It depends on where you find yourself. It depends also on the project. I have developed more desktop applications in my professional life than web applications. In some cases, I have had to work with the two on same project.

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Were Can I Download Free Video Tutorials On Javascript Or Ruby / Da Fuk Is Wrong With This Board? Useless Threads Everywhere!! / Www.sunnewsonline.com Has Been Hijacked : Warning!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.