Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,393 members, 7,781,127 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:26 AM

Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World (18423 Views)

PHOTOS: Nollywood Now Making Blue Films / Nollywood Now Making Sex Movies / Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by sandra123: 8:36pm On Sep 21, 2010
Inspired by Bollywood musicals and Brazilian soap operas, the Nigerian film industry is now the second largest in the world

Full story here: http://www.cp-africa.com/2010/09/21/guardian-uk-nollywood-largest-movie-industry-world/
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by omobadan(m): 12:51am On Sep 28, 2010
Second largest producers of crap if you ask me! angry
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by tpiah: 1:08am On Sep 28, 2010
by now we should be aiming for quality in addition to quantity.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by omar22(m): 9:28am On Sep 30, 2010
You must change Movie to Home Movie VCD production,

If the Indian Cinema industry rakes in an average of $1.3bn a year
If the US cinema industry raked in $10.65bn in 2009

Then we have the Canadian, British, French, Australian etc

Tell me how much the SECOND BIGGEST MOVIE IND (Nolly-who). made?

Because Nolly took a meaniless storyline or copied storyline movie and split into 4 parts doesnt mean they are the biggest,
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by WackyJ1(m): 9:42pm On Oct 01, 2010
omar22 is right. I wonder the criteria they use for ranking these industries
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 03, 2010
I am embarassed by this news, not pleased. This their new status of 2nd largest industry would draw more attention from the world to the crappy nature of the movies they produce.
But at least the Ghanian haters would be enraged.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by sexylogan(m): 7:57pm On Oct 04, 2010
It's not about quantity but QUALITY!!! angry They are the highest producers of crap.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by WackyJ1(m): 9:18pm On Oct 04, 2010
sexylogan:

It's not about quantity but QUALITY!!! angry They are the highest producers of crap.
GBAM!!!!!
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by BizCoachC(m): 8:09am On Oct 05, 2010
We should congratulate our countrymen who defy all the odds to make their mark in a country like ours where challenges to running a business are sky. If these producers have half the opportunity that their counterparts in US have, they would surpass all records. Please, let's give them a pat on the back.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by jmoore(m): 8:21pm On Oct 05, 2010
BizCoachC:

We should congratulate our countrymen who defy all the odds to make their mark in a country like ours where challenges to running a business are sky. If these producers have half the opportunity that their counterparts in US have, they would surpass all records. Please, let's give them a pat on the back.
it is all about mentality. i will go into movie production but not the crap these folks are producing

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by WackyJ1(m): 10:17pm On Oct 05, 2010
BizCoachC:

This is a meaningless excuses. Even if all we've had is time, we've not used it to do anything
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by denony(m): 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2010
kudos to them
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by Laajman(m): 1:59pm On Oct 06, 2010
Now that we have achieved traction with our critical mass, we should focus
on quality.

The piracy issue, which is the industry's biggest problem, has to be tackled with an indigenous solution.
It'd be great to have movie premieres, and also have Nigerian movies at all cinemas in the country.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by svovi: 2:05pm On Oct 06, 2010
embarassed thats how l feel abot the industry
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by labiyemmy(m): 2:05pm On Oct 06, 2010
This is not news- its been so since last year.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by sulad82i(m): 2:14pm On Oct 06, 2010
I cant remember the last time i watch 9ja movie.
they all feel and look like the same to me
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by Dolemite(f): 2:16pm On Oct 06, 2010
I'm so proud!! grin Instead of you guys whining about how poor our movies are think of the investment opportunities here.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by Ayowumie(m): 2:22pm On Oct 06, 2010
Dolemite:

I'm so proud!! grin Instead of you guys whining about how poor our movies are think of the investment opportunities here.
How? Enlighten us.

tpiah:

Exactly!!!
WackyJ1:

omar22 is right. I wonder the criteria they use for ranking these industries
The used the quantity of movies that are rolled out rather than gross revenue of those movies
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by fender(m): 2:29pm On Oct 06, 2010
Highest producers of crap. There some movies you see that you can't help but cry.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by slap1(m): 2:29pm On Oct 06, 2010
Hmm, so many national embarrassment on our Golden Jubilee.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by Dolemite(f): 2:32pm On Oct 06, 2010
Ayowumie:

How? Enlighten us.
Second largest movie industry in the world? what more can I say? This is a 52 Billion Naira Industry, 450 million dollars, while these suckers are seeing poor quality bla bla bla hustlers are seeing merchandising, production consultant, packaging opportunities. . .
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by slap1(m): 2:39pm On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah:

We are the Giant of Africa and the most populous black nation, yet we have no second-hand value. We're just like Methuselah whose only 'achievement' was being the oldest man in the bible without nothing significant to show for it. Then look at King Josiah. Jimoh Ibrahim buys dead companies and makes them breath again. If he buys a company like Nigeria, his name will be Sorry.
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by svovi: 2:40pm On Oct 06, 2010
purely ur own opinion,why dont u invest in it jari

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by kokoye(m): 2:42pm On Oct 06, 2010
In the midst of all the local hate, discouragement, abuses, zero power supply, piracy, lack of patronage by its own people, low wages, fraudulent marketers, etc.

The Nigerian movie industry is still thriving. And whether you like it or not, the world knows about it. These guys are working their butts of to earn a living . .can you encourage them?

I watch yoruba movies everyday. . .it keeps me sane and laughing because I am able to relate to the jokes. I honestly dont like english speaking Naija movies cos the storylines are predictable and therefore boring to me. But I wont kill them for it.

Why dont you ask this question : Is the Nigerian movie industry movie forward or backward??

You dont have to like it or watch it, but consider all the things that these guys have to deal with and what they have been able to achieve.

Can we please appreciate and encourage our own . . for once??

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by svovi: 2:50pm On Oct 06, 2010
no 1 is arguing with you
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by Youngichou(m): 2:53pm On Oct 06, 2010
@porter shouldnt you be ashamed posting this here? After all those crap motions, you still have the gods to put this here. Truly speaking i dont blame you.
Rubbish ! I cant imagine when last a i watch a nigerian movie. I am more annoyed with the motion whereby you see a girl fetching water for hours
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by slap1(m): 2:59pm On Oct 06, 2010
Youngichou:

@porter shouldnt you be ashamed posting this here? After all those crap motions, you still have the gods to put this here. Truly speaking i dont blame you.
Rubbish !
Chairman easy. The poster did not rate them, you know?
Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by samoks(m): 3:06pm On Oct 06, 2010
A prophet has no honor in his land, The outside world has seen and ranked us high, but we are here destroying ourselves, How did Japan started, how did china started? how about Taiwan? They were all producing SUBSTANDARD products, but their people and government gave them all the support they needed, and today, almost all (if not all) electronics and gadgets in NIGERIA is imported from these three countries.

Nigerians, please learn to appreciate what you have, When the outside world label us with -ve pictures, we cry foul, now they are praising us, and we are asking them to stop

Na waoooooo

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by Basseti: 3:06pm On Oct 06, 2010
People just tie up their under wears in a knot for nothing  undecided

The title says "Largest", it didnt say "Richest", "most innovative" or "most creative".

Besides, crap or not, that industry is putting food on a lot of tables, something that the lame Govt can no longer do.

Instead of whining and crying about all the crap, why dont u try and figure out how to make it better. It was somebody who decided to take the risk and make the movie that signaled the birth of Nollywood. Its left for someone else to take it a step further and that person might be U. Oh, wait, we are still busy whining  grin

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by JeSoul(f): 3:07pm On Oct 06, 2010
kokoye:

In the midst of all the local hate, discouragement, abuses, zero power supply, piracy, lack of patronage by its own people, low wages, fraudulent marketers, etc.

The Nigerian movie industry is still thriving. And whether you like it or not, the world knows about it. These guys are working their butts of to earn a living . .can you encourage them?

I watch yoruba movies everyday. . .it keeps me sane and laughing because I am able to relate to the jokes. I honestly dont like english speaking Naija movies cos the storylines are predictable and therefore boring to me. But I wont kill them for it.

Why dont you ask this question : Is the Nigerian movie industry movie forward or backward??

You dont have to like it or watch it, but consider all the things that these guys have to deal with and what they have been able to achieve.

Can we please appreciate and encourage our own . . for once??

Despite my other reservations about Naija movies, in this instance, I second Kokoye's post fully.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by samoks(m): 3:13pm On Oct 06, 2010
Basseti:

People just tie up their under wears in a knot for nothing  undecided

The title says "Largest", it didnt say "Richest", "most innovative" or "most creative".

Besides, crap or not, that industry is putting food on a lot of tables, something that the lame Govt can no longer do.

Instead of whining and crying about all the crap, why dont u try and figure out how to make it better. It was somebody who decided to take the risk and make the movie that signaled the birth of Nollywood. Its left for someone else to take it a step further and that person might be U. Oh, wait, we are still busy whining  grin

Thank you my brother, please tell them more.

JeSoul:

Despite my other reservations about Naija movies, in this instance, I second Kokoye's post fully.

Kokoye is probably a Yoruba guy who hates the IGBO dominated english movie industry more because that is the industry that has brought Nigeria more fame, who in the yoruba movie industry is known worldwide like the Genes, JIM iykes, Ramsy Noahs and Omotolas, It is only the english movie industry that can go to Ghana and other African countries and feature those countries' top actors and actresses in their movies,

Please stop the beeeeeefffffff.

The Ibo English movies are in another class compared to the Yoruba ones,

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World by cold(m): 3:16pm On Oct 06, 2010
samoks:

A prophet has no honor in his land,  The outside world has seen and ranked us high, but we are here destroying ourselves,  How did Japan started, how did china started? how about Taiwan?   They were all producing SUBSTANDARD products, but their people and government gave them all the support they needed, and today, almost all (if not all) electronics and gadgets in NIGERIA is imported from these three countries.

Nigerians, please learn to appreciate what you have,  When the outside world label us with -ve pictures, we cry foul, now they are praising us, and we are asking them to stop

Na  waoooooo
There's nothin in the script that insists we must celebrate/appreciate mediocrity.Whilst not writing them off in totality i daresay the largest room in the world is the room for improvement.

Nollywood makes about 2,400 films per year, putting it ahead of the US, but behind India, according to a Unesco report last year. Nigerian film-makers tend to operate in a fast and furious manner; shoots rarely last longer than two weeks, cheap digital equipment is almost always used and the average budget is about $15,000 (£9,664). The finished products often bypass cinemas altogether and are instead sold directly to the “man on the street” for about $1.50 (£1). Most films shift between 25,000 and 50,000 copies globally – although a blockbuster can easily sell up to 200,000.

Aw c'mon are you sayin we can't do better?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Part 2 Of Wedding Party Is Loading / BBNaija S6: Housemates Share Heartbreak Ordeals / Prince Nelson Evicted From BBNaija All-Stars House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.