Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,946 members, 7,806,738 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Pls Help! My Hyundai Accent Emits Smoke - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Pls Help! My Hyundai Accent Emits Smoke (3130 Views)

Too Clean 2012 Hyundai Accent (registered) Selling For 1.550 / I Need A Car Head Light For My Hyundai Verna Standard, 2001 Model. See Car Pix / Help! My Honda Babyboy Emits Black Smoke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help! My Hyundai Accent Emits Smoke by camary(m): 9:47am On Sep 23, 2010
Pls anyone should advise me on hw 2 go about a Nigerian used Hyundai Accent 2000 i just bought as it emit smoke from the exhaust especially when on top speed. My mechanic advised that i change d rings of the engine and carryout servicing and everything will be ok. He even promised that, the engine will function as almost a new one after the job is carried out. Pls i need contributions from expert like SIENA, KUNTASH, COSTEE and host of others who have experience this. I want to get information on it before going to my mechanic to effect repairs. i'm waitingggggggggg
Re: Pls Help! My Hyundai Accent Emits Smoke by camary(m): 10:29am On Sep 23, 2010
still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Pls Help! My Hyundai Accent Emits Smoke by waleco: 10:38am On Sep 23, 2010
call 08023265923 his name is femi tell him you are from wale he is an expert.
Re: Pls Help! My Hyundai Accent Emits Smoke by camary(m): 11:03am On Sep 23, 2010
waleco:

call 08023265923 his name is femi tell him you are from wale he is an expert.

@waleco, tanx very much but ll need more contributions
Re: Pls Help! My Hyundai Accent Emits Smoke by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 23, 2010
Camary, you don't say how many miles your Hyundai's covered. But, modern engines will cover well over 200,000 miles before needing rings.

I don't believe your mechanic's being honest with you. How does he know your car needs rings? There are other reasons a car could burn oil (I presume the smoke's blue). Worn valve stem seals, worn cylinder bores, worn piston rings, wrong grade of engine oil or a blocked crankcase breather.

Besides, an engine needing rings may well require an over bore, which will mean new (larger) pistons and matching rings to fit the slightly larger bores. Expensive, it'd be cheaper to buy a good used engine (of course your "mechanic" will make less from your wallet).

The way you describe your problem, I'd be inclined to suggest your valve stem seals are at fault. They won't cause smoking on idle to moderate speeds, but will certainly produce a smoke screen at higher engine speeds. Replacement can be done with the cylinder head in situ, with just the camshaft(s) removed. All depends on how good your spanner man is though. If not, he'll have to remove the cylinder head, not a big job on a Hyundai.

First port of call should be checking your oil grade - if you're unsure, drain it, fit a new filter, and fill to the required quantity with 10W-40 semi-synthetic. Don't use 0W-30/40, as it's a bit on the thin side for your car, depending on the mileage, it'll just burn it up, with visible smoke at higher RPM.

Next, get your spanner man to check the crankcase breather. If it's clogged up with carbon deposits, it'll cause the oil within the engine to pressurise, forcing it out through the valve stems (blow-by).
Re: Pls Help! My Hyundai Accent Emits Smoke by camary(m): 12:26pm On Sep 23, 2010
@Siena

tanx man, i appreciate your contributions but have to do some more homework about the milleage, type of smoke etc. i ll get back after getting the more information since the car is not presently with me
Re: Pls Help! My Hyundai Accent Emits Smoke by obua: 12:34pm On Sep 23, 2010
What is colour of the smoke ?
Also check the air filter, whether it is in place.
Do not touch the engine until you have done a compression test.
Re: Pls Help! My Hyundai Accent Emits Smoke by Immune1(m): 1:48pm On Sep 23, 2010
i feel the problem is associated with improper fuel delivery.so my guess is your vehicle has alraedy limped in(check engine light illuminated), what you are probably dealing with is a malfunctioning MAP sensor which can cause the ECU to calculate the fuel needed for the engine wrongly.If the engine runs normally when during this smoking,i'll strongly suggest you check this or better still subject your car to electronic diagnosis to be sure.

(1) (Reply)

2005 Vw Golf Iv American Specs Up For Sale / Registered Audi A6 For Sale N800k NOW N700k!!SOLD!!SOLD / sold sold sold.2004 Model Infiniti Qx56/classy And Loaded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.