Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,429 members, 7,781,246 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:16 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (105893 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by johnie: 4:18pm On Oct 06, 2010
Advice/Advise (very easy but so common a mistake, help yourself )

Advice: Noun - What you give to someone to help the person E.g. Here is my advice.
Advise: Verb- To give an advice E.g. Please advise your friend about his lack of focus.

Can not/ Cannot [Not that easy(?) but try to understand the difference]

Lose/Loose (help yourself )

Lose: Verb - to misplace something. You will lose your watch if you don't fasten it.
Loose: ? - Opposite of tight. E.g. Your trouser is lose, wear a belt.

Save/Safe (help yourself )
Save: Verb- To keep something safe. E.g. Who will save us now.
Safe: ? - Free from harm or loss. E.g. Your secret is safe with me.

Diffuse/Defuse (I will explain this)
Diffuse- Verb- to spread. E.g. You can watch the gas diffuse.
Defuse:Verb- to remove the capacity to cause harm. E.g. Let the experts defuse the bomb.

Center/Centre (help yourself )

Centre - British spelling
Center- American spelling

How did I do?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 06, 2010
slap1:

But is ACTUALLY NOT. However if you won't correct my errors in other threads, do so in this thread. I, Slap1 Nwaigwe, will be visiting this thread 'recklessly'. I'd even give you 'assignments' when (if?) need be. You're priceless, oh yeah.

The correct word is "it's" or it is
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 06, 2010
@ ola olabiy
This is EDUCATIVE, really.
Thanks for that on the exclamation - I don fumble, no be small.

What about these:
1) I misplaced my phone / I lost my phone.
2) I left my pen in the car / I forgot my pen in the car.
3) Head paper / Headed paper.
@xreal,
I totally disagree with the use of the highlighted word "misplaced" as being wrong in that sentence. Pls, check your lexicon/dictionary for the meaning
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 5:09pm On Oct 06, 2010
koastar:

The correct word is "it's" or it is
I meant to add it to Ola's sentence, "It seems rude", so as to get: "It seems rude but is actually not". Is it still wrong? Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:58pm On Oct 06, 2010
johnie:

Advice/Advise (very easy but so common a mistake, help yourself )

Advice: Noun - What you give to someone to help the person E.g. Here is my advice.
Advise: Verb- To give an advice E.g. Please advise your friend about his lack of focus.

Can not/ Cannot [Not that easy(?) but try to understand the difference]

Lose/Loose (help yourself )

Lose: Verb - to misplace something. You will lose your watch if you don't fasten it.
Loose: ? - Opposite of tight. E.g. Your trouser is lose, wear a belt.

Save/Safe (help yourself )
Save: Verb- To keep something safe. E.g. Who will save us now.
Safe: ? - Free from harm or loss. E.g. Your secret is safe with me.

Diffuse/Defuse (I will explain this)
Diffuse- Verb- to spread. E.g. You can watch the gas diffuse.
Defuse:Verb- to remove the capacity to cause harm. E.g. Let the experts defuse the bomb.

Center/Centre (help yourself )

Centre - British spelling
Center- American spelling

How did I do?

Good job, johnie. 100%!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:01pm On Oct 06, 2010
^^^johnie, eg.

Incorrect: This is a place where you can diffuse tension, stress and regain composure

Correct: This is a place where you can deffuse tension, stress and regain composure.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:09pm On Oct 06, 2010
'Deepfreeze'. I discussed this word in my book.

In my book, I stated that 'deep freezer' was unheard of. Guess what, guys, it is now correct. Especially in the US of A.

The correct form then was 'deepfreeze'. Or 'freezer'.

Today, they are all CORRECT.

Another example of dynamism?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:13pm On Oct 06, 2010
POSER!

Night vigil

Correct?

Incorrect?

Contextual?

Please, let's know.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:22pm On Oct 06, 2010
slap1:

But is ACTUALLY NOT. However if you won't correct my errors in other threads, do so in this thread. I, Slap1 Nwaigwe, will be visiting this thread 'recklessly'. I'd even give you 'assignments' when (if?) need be. You're priceless, oh yeah.

You're incredible. Thanks for this. You can help us as well. I am humbled. Keep it up, sir.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:26pm On Oct 06, 2010
koastar:

"Each other" is used when referring to two people and "One another" when referring to more than two people

Good job.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 7:44am On Oct 07, 2010
ola olabiy:

POSER!

Night vigil

Correct?

Incorrect?

Contextual?

Please, let's know.

I believe that with vigil, night has no business coming up, as vigil entails being awake at night to pray, watch over a sick one, etc. E.g: His body is getting hotter, I will keep vigil to monitor it.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:30am On Oct 07, 2010
^^^yeah. Correct!
Thanks bro.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:46am On Oct 07, 2010
I have to say this. Mistakes like 'calculative', 'educating', 'appreciating' and many others are no biggies. They are common. Even, established authors know this. It is, however, ideal for writers of formal reports (management reports, etc) to be aware of errors like those stated above. They need to be professional in their use of language.

A good knowledge of parts of speech is the most important. And noun-verb aggreement. What people can't condone are 'IS' when 'ARE' is meant, 'BRINGS' when 'BRING' is meant.

Slap1, and many professionals on nairaland have got a good grasp of this. It is glaring he writes well. (slap1) Just don't allow what happened yesterday knock your confidence as a writer.

I don't really want to examine parts of speech and phrasal verbs here .We are dealing with professionals here (not scholboys). And, they have gone beyond that level.

Yeah! English is about Parts of Speech. But, is there a need for that on this thread?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:57am On Oct 07, 2010
Seun stickied this topic. So, thanks, Seun.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 10:58am On Oct 07, 2010
ola olabiy:

I have to say this. Mistakes like 'calculative', 'educating', 'appreciating' and many others are no biggies. They are common. Even, established authors know this. It is, however, ideal for writers of formal reports (management reports, etc) to be aware of errors like those stated above. They need to be professional in their use of language.

A good knowledge of parts of speech is the most important. And noun-verb aggreement. What people can't condone are 'IS' when 'ARE' is meant, 'BRINGS' when 'BRING' is meant.

Slap1, and many professionals on nairaland have got a good grasp of this. It is glaring he writes well. (slap1) Just don't allow what happened yesterday knock your confidence as a writer.

I don't really want to examine parts of speech and phrasal verbs here .We are dealing with professionals here (not scholboys). And, they have gone beyond that level.

Yeah! English is about Parts of Speech. But, is there a need for that on this thread?
Hmm. I sincerely feel flattered at having my 'name' in the same sentence with the word 'professional', and on a positive note, too. Let me state that I'm still far from being a professional, I'm only hoping to be one. If I'm even imagined a professional, what then does one think of Jarus? I'm merely an ambitious undergraduate of English and Literature, aspiring to graduate well and possibly become an 'overgraduate' as soon as possible! Now, English language, as you rightly pointed out, is about Parts of Speech. How can our English be flawless when we are not even aware of the components of what we speak and write? I don't mean to counter your opinion but it won't be a bad idea if you throw a little light on the Parts of Speech( when you have the time). You never know how many prospective 'F9s' and 'D7s' in English language you're converting to 'As ' and 'Bs'. Best wishes.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:25pm On Oct 07, 2010
^^
Thanks, slap1.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:35pm On Oct 07, 2010
Hi all,

Let's examine this word: 'MASTERMINDER'.

Yeparipa! This is wrong oooo.

Incorrect: He is the masterminder of the coup plot.

Correct: He is the mastermind of the coup plot.

MASTERMIND (N) means an intelligent person who plans and directs a scheme (usually one that involves a crime).

'Mastermind' is also a verb and it's of North American origin.

General Oladipo Diya famously uttered this word (masterminder).

Can you recollect this?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 08, 2010
slap1:

I meant to add it to Ola's sentence, "It seems rude", so as to get: "It seems rude but is actually not". Is it still wrong? Thanks.

You are welcome. The correct one is "it is" or "it's". Because the pronunciation of "it's" sounds like "is", so people misuse "is" for "it's" when writing.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:22am On Oct 08, 2010
POSER.

World War II.

Second World War.

Which one is correct, my people?

Sorry!
Which one is better (formal)?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:57am On Oct 08, 2010
POSER

'It is high time . . . . . . . . .'

In what form do you expect any verb that follows this clause?

Present tense?

Past tense?

Past participle?

Abeg, make una answer.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Ugwu111: 3:39pm On Oct 08, 2010
Looking for admission in Imo State University,Futo or Federal Polytechnic Nekede and Federal University of Agri.Umumdike, also to upgrade your jamb, Contact me your problem will be done, you can email zsl_victor@yahoo.com or you call 07061132784

N:B:Federal Polytechnic Nekede Post UME Result s Out!!!! If you are having problem with your result , Contact me your problem is solved.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 4:59pm On Oct 08, 2010
koastar:

You are welcome. The correct one is "it is" or "it's". Because the pronunciation of "it's" sounds like "is", so people misuse "is" for "it's" when writing.
I'm convinced. Thanks.
ola olabiy:

POSER.

World War II.

Second World War.

Which one is correct, my people?

Sorry!
Which one is better (formal)?
I'll go with World War ll. The other one seems to refer to the war in the second world. Is there a second world?
ola olabiy:

POSER

Present tense?

Past tense?

Past participle?

Abeg, make una answer.
Past tense.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 9:13pm On Oct 08, 2010
ola olabiy:

POSER

Present tense?

Past tense?

Past participle?

Abeg, make una answer.
This one na common JAMB question now . . .past
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 9:15pm On Oct 08, 2010
See free lesson . . .

Chamotex- PRESENT sir!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 9:17pm On Oct 08, 2010
Teacher, what is the next question?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:35pm On Oct 08, 2010
chamotex:

Teacher, what is the next question?

you no serious oo.

oya, hands up nau nau.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:36pm On Oct 08, 2010
Jarus:

This one na common JAMB question now . . .past

you are right, jare. but the error dey too common ni. Especially when you no put 'high'.

Eg. It's time we . . . . . . .
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 11:37pm On Oct 08, 2010
ola olabiy:

you no serious oo.

oya, hands up nau nau.

Can I ask a question?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:39pm On Oct 08, 2010
oya nau, ask.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 11:43pm On Oct 08, 2010
ola olabiy:

oya nau, ask.

Which is the correct term - 'as well' or 'aswell'?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:46pm On Oct 08, 2010
chamotex:

Which is the correct term - 'as well' or 'aswell'?

na 'assswwweellll'.

ok? shocked
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:47pm On Oct 08, 2010
'as well'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply)

Direct Entry Admission Guide Into Nigerian Universities. / FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.