Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,696 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (70) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106140 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by isalegan2: 1:48am On Dec 28, 2011
Ola one:

Merry Xmas, moi people.

hehehe. Some don't like that "xmas" word. Merry Christmas, Happy Boxing Day and the day after that. cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 28, 2011
^ ^dont you think your wishes are coming rather late?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:12am On Dec 29, 2011
isale_gan2:

hehehe. Some don't like that "xmas" word. Merry Christmas, Happy Boxing Day and the day after that. cheesy

Page 7 and 0. Thank you, Isale.
You're always on time tongue
Happy new year
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 1:49am On Dec 29, 2011
Ola one:

Page 7 and 0. Thank you, Isale.
You're always on time tongue
Happy new year
abeg prof. Ola, is d bolded a figure of speach?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 2:04am On Dec 29, 2011
Henry46:

abeg prof. Ola, is d bolded a figure of speach?
Hahaaa.
Isn't she lovelyyyyyy? cool
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:53am On Dec 29, 2011
hmmmm, why're you replying my question with a question, is it part of ur teachings?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 29, 2011
wait a minute, is ISALE GAN2 a female?
If yes, that name of hers is jaw breaking, it doesnt befits her a bit lol
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by ignis: 9:39am On Jan 03, 2012
Nice one, Am flowing with you.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Lindx93(f): 5:10am On Jan 07, 2012
Pls guys i need ur help on this one. Ques. When the farmers were found guilty of unlawful assembly and procession their lawyer _____ before the sentence was passed. (a)made a plea for mitigation (b)made a plea for litigation.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by semid4lyfe(m): 2:49pm On Jan 12, 2012
Lindx93:
Pls guys i need your help on this one. Ques. When the farmers were found guilty of unlawful assembly and procession their lawyer _____ before the sentence was passed. (a)made a plea for mitigation (b)made a plea for litigation.

None of the above as I think the correct answer is made a plea for clemency but if I had to choose one of the options, I'll go for (a) made a plea for mitigation but what do I know? undecided Wait make Prof Ola come talk the correct the correct answer cool

Prof, Happy new year o and softly softly to dey do tutorials o grin

mitigate

mit·i·gate [mítti gàyt]
(past and past participle mit·i·gat·ed, present participle mit·i·gat·ing, 3rd person present singular mit·i·gates)
transitive verb
1. partly excuse crime: to make an offense or crime less serious or more excusable
2. lessen something: to make something less harsh, severe, or violent

[15th century. < Latin mitigat-, past participle of mitigare "make mild" < mitis "gentle, soft" + agere "make"]

-mit·i·ga·ble [míttigəb'l], adjective
-mit·i·ga·tion [mìtti gáysh'n], noun

See militate.

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

litigation

lit·i·ga·tion [lìtti gáysh'n]
(plural lit·i·ga·tions)
noun
1. existence of lawsuit: the act or process of bringing about or contesting a lawsuit or all lawsuits collectively
The matter is in litigation.

2. Same as lawsuit
(technical)

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 4:06pm On Jan 14, 2012
^^Thanks
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 6:21pm On Jan 16, 2012
Ola, when are you going to say bye to this thread? angry

Okay, ehm, this is the last one. Shebi? cool

It is about Comma Splice.

Man proposes, God disposes nko? No comma?

I came, I saw, I conquered nko? No comma?

^^These are examples of independent clauses in sentences.

Read more: http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2012/01/punctuation?fsrc=nlw|newe|1-11-2012|new_on_the_economist

Read the comments.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 6:55pm On Jan 16, 2012
About "fewer/less" and plural nouns. undecided

What's the rule these days? Is it about how a sentence scans; the rhythm?

Read more:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2012/01/grammar?fsrc=nlw|

^I think it's okay.

Read the comments

1 Like

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Chinyxboy(m): 1:39pm On Jan 18, 2012
English gramatical errors is kind of inevitable sometimes when effective communication is needed. A good communicator understands that gramatical errors are needed sometimes. So, when you make a gramatical error don't worry, it only shows u're human.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by AjanleKoko: 3:28pm On Jan 21, 2012
Chinyxboy:

English gramatical errors is kind of inevitable[b] sometimes when effective communication is needed[/b]. A good communicator understands that gramatical errors are needed sometimes. So, when you make a gramatical error don't worry, it only shows u're human.

*winces*
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by muyoto: 9:36pm On Jan 21, 2012
Chinyxboy:

English gramatical errors is kind of inevitable sometimes when effective communication is needed. A good communicator understands that gramatical errors are needed sometimes. So, when you make a gramatical error don't worry, it only shows u're human.

really?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Chinyxboy(m): 9:32am On Jan 22, 2012
Yap Muyota, i really think so.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by femmy2010(m): 12:28am On Feb 03, 2012
help with Usage of DEVOTE and DEVOUT.ENQUIRE and INQUIRE.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 9:39am On Feb 06, 2012
Chatting has just ruined it all. . .
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by jason41188: 10:51am On Feb 06, 2012
i also have a word name GRASSROOTS
this is incorrect word we write all the times but the actual word is grass roots , both word can written in different spellings not together .
Is am i right or wrong what do you think .

Just check this out Debra Fine

thank you
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 06, 2012
Okay, here are some minor ones. . .

The word 'Internet' is uppercase.
Website is one word.
Login and logout are nouns (usually used as adjectives), e.g., "Click the login button."
Use email instead of e-mail.

Will add some more.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:08pm On Feb 06, 2012
femmy2010:

help with Usage of DEVOTE and DEVOUT.ENQUIRE and INQUIRE.

If you are devoted to a particular religion, you are devout, not devote. You may be a devout Christian, a devout Catholic, a devout Jew, a devout Buddhist, etc.

“Devote” (with no final D) is a verb, something you do rather than something you are. You may devote a lot of your time to working at a food bank, or building model airplanes, for instance.

If you are enthusiastically dedicated to an activity, a cause or person, you are devoted to it. You can be devoted to your gardening, to collecting money for Unicef, or to your pet. You can be a devoted father, husband, or a devoted runner or knitter. You can be a devoted fan of the Seattle Storm. If you have a lot of fans, you may have a devoted following. The devotion involved need not be religious.

On Enquire/Inquire;

These are two spellings of the same word, which means to seek information about something or to conduct a formal investigation (usually when followed by “into”). The corresponding noun is enquiry or inquiry.
Either spelling can be used, but many people prefer enquire and enquiry for the general sense of “ask”, and inquire and inquiry for a formal investigation:
I enquired his name
The first enquiry in my inbox today was about lost property.
We are going to inquire into the incident.
The lawyers asked when the inquiry will be completed.
In practice, enquire and enquiry are more common in British English, and inquire and inquiry are more common in US English, for both informal questions and formal investigations. However, the Guardian (a British newspaper) tells writers to “use inquiry” and the Oxford English Dictionary seems to recognise inquire as the more dominant form, deeming enquiry:
”An alternative form of INQUIRE. The mod. Dicts. give inquire as the standard form, but enquire is still very frequently used, esp. in the sense ‘to ask a question’.”
So, it’s up to you which spelling you use, though if you’re writing for a particular publication, it’s worth asking about their house style. Sticking with inquire is probably best if you’re at all unsure, and whichever you pick, be consistent!

Hope that helps - found elsewhere.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:30pm On Feb 06, 2012
HQ:

Okay, here are some minor ones. . .

The word 'Internet' is uppercase.
Website is one word.
Login and logout are nouns (usually used as adjectives), e.g., "Click the login button."
Use email instead of e-mail.

Will add some more.

Thank you
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 06, 2012
^
You're Welcome

Between vs Among

Using Between Properly
Between is with two people or things. Note the combination tw in a number of words meaning "two" such as two, twice, and twin.

Among is used when discussing three or more people or things.

Examples: She had to choose between licorice and cherry.
She had to choose among licorice, cherry, and lime.

Between is used with and. From is used with to.

Never use to with between.

Incorrect: We shuttled between New York to Chicago.

Correct: We shuttled between New York and Chicago.

We shuttled from New York to Chicago.

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Gbosh(m): 9:43pm On Feb 06, 2012
I have really learnt a lot here today, thanks guys, please correct any mistake i must have made in my post thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by solelymade: 4:59pm On Feb 21, 2012
right usage of there and their. d appropriate word pls To fight(one anoda,themselves,each other,theirselves). To share between themselves,one anoda. Also, To please with d above words. tanks
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 2:47pm On Mar 08, 2012
solelymade:

right usage of there and their. d appropriate word pls To fight(one anoda,themselves,each other,theirselves). To share between themselves,one anoda. Also, To please with d above words. tanks

Please read this thread from Page1. Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 6:19pm On Mar 11, 2012
Oluseun, wassappenin'? Page 69? What the eff happened to Page 70? I say NO to your Akunyili-styled rebranding. wink angry wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 8:22pm On Mar 11, 2012
Hahahahahahahaha laf wan dis-virgin me ooo

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.