Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (72) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106119 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:14am On Aug 15, 2013
Another commenter:

So that's how to deal with ignorance. Make all wrong answers right! Simple.

Yes, this is pandering to people's baser instincts of laziness and ignorance, I agree
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:20am On Aug 15, 2013
More:

Your comments: This really bugs me. I just had a conversation with my son yesterday because he told me the Merriam Webster dictionary had this definition of 'literally' and I told him, "Oh you don't go by MW, you go by OED". And now this.

If they are going to start explaining every example of word misuse in the English language that book is going to triple in size.

Oh dear God, my Father will have a stroke when he hears this. It is one of his (many) pet hates that people use this word incorrectly and now he won't be able to scold them!!!
Same way I felt when I saw "gateman". lol grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:27am On Aug 15, 2013
And more tongue:

"Unique" will be the next casualty. Even the BBC talks about things being "very unique" or fairly unique" nowadays. Something is either unique or it is not.

The incorrect use of this word was started by the Americans, who are well-known for their lazy approach to using proper English. I've often heard it used in American TV broadcasts and I was initially amazed that they use it to say something which turns out to be impossible, such as "I literally laughed myself to death". Now I'm used to hearing it and just think how ridiculous Americans can be. I think the OED is wrong to include this new meaning. it's an English dictionary, not an American dictionary!

Oh well, if language experts are willing to water down, literally(!), words that the general public use incorrectly then why do we bother learning the rules in the first place! But there again, I'm not surprised - BBC newsreaders make basic language errors every day. The one that gets me every time is the wrong use of "sat" as in "He was "sat" on his own instead of "He was sitting on his own". LOL!
Hahaha. Blame the people across the pond.

Some dictionaries also say that 'different to' and 'different than' are OK. Some dictionaries are wrong...

1 Like

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 7:35am On Aug 15, 2013
Hmmm. . . THE BEST THREAD ON NAIRALAND!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:07am On Aug 15, 2013
slap1: Hmmm. . . THE BEST THREAD ON NAIRALAND!
Thanks, buddy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Akerekoroabijawara(m): 11:43am On Dec 21, 2013
Pls can someone tell me this in correct English " pot that want to eat pepper, its bottom will be hot". Thanks
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by isalegan2: 5:39pm On Nov 17, 2014
English teacher! cheesy

Which is correct?: "This is her" or "This is she."

Sorry I resurrected your thread oo. tongue

I just got a call from a potential employer, and replied "This is her" instead of my usual, "This is (Isale)." embarassed

Anyway, I shall have the opportunity to make a better impression when we meet. undecided
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 6:49am On Nov 18, 2014
isalegan2:
English teacher! cheesy

Which is correct?: "This is her" or "This is she."

Sorry I resurrected your thread oo. tongue

I just got a call from a potential employer, and replied "This is her" instead of my usual, "This is (Isale)." embarassed

Anyway, I shall have the opportunity to make a better impression when we meet. undecided
Isale kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by footballpicks: 7:05pm On Sep 23, 2019
Check out the Postage Stamp Gallery http://www.ifilatelie.cz/ and feel free to contact us if you are interested in any of the postage stamps in the picture gallery. If you have any question. If you want to ask about the price of your stamp. If you want to know if your mark is genuine. Then do not hesitate to write us via the contact form or write to us via our facebook page. Let us know what you think. We are not experts, so for an expert opinion, contact certified experts according to the issue of the postage stamp. http://www.ifilatelie.cz/
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by shyna22(m): 4:08am On Mar 16, 2020
olaolabiy:
Helloooooo,
Let's talk about ''grassroots'' as well.

Incorrect: We need to mobilize the grassroots.

Correct version: We need to mobilize the grass roots.

The word 'grass roots' is always written seperately. And always PLURAL.
Check your dictionary.

What do you think?

Thank you very much

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.