Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:30 PM

Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala (4940 Views)

Aba Stands Still On Ikpeazu's Arrival (pictures) / (Photo) Ibadan Erupts For Alao Akala / When Ibadan Stood Still For Alao-akala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by OAM4J: 5:05am On Sep 24, 2010

[size=16pt]Ibadan stands still for Alao-Akala[/size]

IT was a gathering of the who-is-who in the Oyo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and a tumultuous crowd as the state governor, Chief Adebayo Alao-Akala, on Thursday, formally declared his intention to contest the 2011 governorship election on the ticket of the party.

With the Lekan Salami Stadium, venue of the declaration,  filled with party leaders from all levels in the state, contestants into various elective positions in the 2011 elections and other party faithful, most of the roads leading to the venue of declaration, as well as adjoining roads, recorded traffic congestion.

The venue of the declaration was also jam-packed with several branded cars, with a long bus, branded with the logo of the President Goodluck Jonathan/Alao-Akala campaign posters, blocking the Ekotedo/Adamasingba end of the Mokola Road.

Governor Alao-Akala arrived in a long convoy of cars along with members of the state executive council around 12 noon.

Mounting the rostrum at about 2.30 p.m, after various party leaders had spoken, the governor said his declaration was in response to the yearnings of the people of the state.
“I hearken to your wish; I shall run. When I was sworn in as the executive governor of Oyo State on May 29, 2007, I made some specific pledges to you, the good people of Oyo State. The sum total of that covenant was that I would make a positive difference during my tenure as governor.

[size=13pt]“To the glory of God, I stand before you today, at the twilight of my first term in office and say, ‘we have made a difference,’ thereby changing the mentality that no one else can do it.[/size]

“As people can now see, it is manifestly clear that, with the fear of God and unwavering determination, we can make things work, even within a short period of time.

“My dear compatriots and good people of Oyo State, since the beginning of this year, many men of goodwill, comprising notable citizens, professionals, market women, the academic community, religious leaders, corporate bodies, artisans and other interest groups have approached and urged me to declare interest for a second term.

“My standard response was to thank them for their concern, but that I needed all my concentration to fulfil my promises, which I made during the electioneering of 2007, and upon which our people freely voted for me.

“I often explained to them to understand our challenges in Oyo State, many of which are man-made, while others are products of past lethargy.

“Under these circumstances, I needed to face my job full-throttle, without entertaining any distraction whatsoever and from whoever,” he said.

Declaring that his administration had recorded landmark achievements in all spheres, he took a swipe at the opposition in the state, saying that they had not succeeded in pulling him down, in spite of the fact that “they have tried all the tricks in the books, both clean and not so clean tactics.”

He decried the insistence that democracy could only thrive when an indigene of a particular area governed the state, asking “why can’t a qualified man or woman from Kisi, Okeretedo, Agbonle, Iware or Lanlate aspire to be governor of Oyo State?

He said that the PDP Elders  Forum, comprising former governors and other leaders across the state, at two different meetings early this year, unanimously agreed on his candidature for the 2011 election, adding that he would run along with his deputy, Alhaji Taofeek Arapaja.

In his speech at the event, the chairman on the occasion, who is also a  former governor of Oyo State, Dr Omololu Olun-loyo, said there was the need to understand the facts about Governor Alao-Akala and his second term ambition before anybody could make known his/her dislikes or prejudices against him.

“The constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, at present, allows a maximum of two terms for the governor of a state. Alao-Akala is, therefore, entitled to have a try at a second term. It is a matter of personal choice for him to decide and I believe he has so decided.

“The next stage is for his party to decide as to who would be allowed among all the equally entitled aspirants, so as to assume a level playing field for all the contestants. This is not a private post or a company’s Chief Executive position that can be decided once and for all on the basis of preferment in a boardroom or among a gathering of shareholders.

“I must use this opportunity to appeal to the people of the state to give Alao-Akala a good hearing  when he campaigns for election at election time. At the same time, I must also advise him and his closest assistants, aides and advisers to be more receptive, not only to the justified appreciation of his government, but also to the constructive criticisms, especially from important quarters,” he said.

Other PDP leaders in the state also unanimously agreed that the governor had done more than enough to deserve a second term of office, adding that he stood a very good chance of winning the party’s primaries and emerging victorious in the 2011 elections.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/11533-ibadan-stands-still-for-alao-akala
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by OAM4J: 5:09am On Sep 24, 2010
What difference has this man made?
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by mensdept: 5:12am On Sep 24, 2010
So in Ibadan, they are "standing" still. Yet the roads in this brownish town are pretty much the SAME as they were in 1999, under CP Amen Edore Oyakhire

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by Nobody: 5:49am On Sep 24, 2010
the same difference his compatriot gej = jega has made - nada
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 24, 2010
are ibadan people that daft?

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by stormm: 8:21am On Sep 24, 2010
Check that pix very well, na Tokyo, Eleweomo and the NURTW pple dey there. Do not be deceived.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by yemmight(m): 9:04am On Sep 24, 2010
You can imagine. The pix shows the calibre of people attended. No single leader except Olunloyo. The guy has failed already. I fear for Oyo in 2010 cos it will be bloody. The recent fight is just an intro.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by sojjy: 10:23am On Sep 24, 2010
grin grin grin ;DWonder shall never end.If Akala wins another term,then it's all over for Ibadan people.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by SHEAU(m): 10:57am On Sep 24, 2010
he did not even mention only one achievement in his speech becos he has none. only to maintain ADEDIBU's AMALA AND GBEGIRI politics. AKADIBU the new Bale of Molete, Oloshi grin
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by damas11111(m): 11:05am On Sep 24, 2010
I weep for my state. sad sad sad
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by duality(m): 12:26pm On Sep 24, 2010
why shuld ppl bother about crowd. Every crowd u see is being paid for. No nigerian would go for any politicaly motivated rally if he's not getting any thing into his pocket. What we should worry about is the billions wasted on these rallies at d expense of needed development.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by opabukun(m): 12:29pm On Sep 24, 2010
Stand what? Nairalanders, dont mind d ''paid advert o'' wat pains me most is that it comes from TRIBUNE for that matter.
U all need 2be with me inside a cormercial bus this wk Tue, wen sum1 raised this same issue; everybody just laughed @ his eskeleton, sorry excellency's ambition. going by voting, PDP will loose, shld they present AMALA Polity!!!
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by Princek12(m): 12:33pm On Sep 24, 2010
Alao Akala represents the mentality of the majority of the people of Oyo state and Ibadan--benighted residents who are happy as long as they eat their amala and ewedu soup. How did Oyo residents allow him to be the governor? The entire state should be condemning that fool called Akala, for he has not improved the infrastructure of the state. As a matter of fact, I don't think any Oyo governor has improved the state's infrastructure in the last sixteen years. Amala politics at its finest.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by lyfe(m): 12:36pm On Sep 24, 2010
My governor lives on billboards.  Come to Ibadan, you would think Akala is a model as his picture is everywhere on bus, taxi, waste bin, nylon bags, Carrying all manners of words like, Environmental Akalism, Oyatooo. The score card, The difference is clear, One good term deserves another. , very annoying.

The dude will sink Oyo state this second term,

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by Princek12(m): 12:47pm On Sep 24, 2010
lyfe:

My governor lives on billboards.  Come to Ibadan, you would think Akala is a model as his picture is everywhere on bus, taxi, waste bin, nylon bags, Carrying all manners of words like, Environmental Akalism, Oyatooo. The score card, The difference is clear, One good term deserves another. , very annoying.

The dude will sink Oyo state this second term,

Sorry for your state. Let me ask you question: if a young, promising, articulate, Fashola-like candidate entered the gubernatorial race, will the  majority of Oyo residents support him? I will say no, so you all deserve the Akalas that will run that state down. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by estinjohn(m): 1:08pm On Sep 24, 2010
I don’t know why you people will never see any good in Akala.

Many of you who are crucifying Akala are ignorant of his great achievements in Ibadan. Most of you have never been to Ibadan yet you base your judgement on what you see on the internet and newspapers. I don’t know why the press disgust this man
Go you Oyo state today the testimony of Akala’s achievements abound. Good Roads,traffic control system, health care, agriculture etc.
What else do you want

All I know is that the people of Oyo state know what they want and what is good for them. Alaka will definitely come in for another term.
You people are just sentimental based on the Adedoja ‘s impeachment saga . There is no justification for you bad opinion of the man Alao Akala. If you can take time and evaluate this man, s performance and stop being bias, you will see that Alao Akala has done more good than so many governors in the south west.

Leave Akala alone. He is a man of destiny ,
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by tkb417(m): 1:16pm On Sep 24, 2010
estinjohn:

Many of you who are crucifying Akala are ignorant of his great achievements in Ibadan. Most of you have never been to Ibadan yet you base your judgement on what you see on the internet and newspapers. I don’t know why the press disgust this man
Go you Oyo state today the testimony of Akala’s achievements abound. Good Roads,traffic control system, health care, agriculture etc.
What else do you want

All I know is that the people of Oyo state know what they want and what is good for them. Alaka will definitely come in for another term.
You people are just sentimental based on the Adedoja ‘s impeachment saga . There is no justification for you bad opinion of the man Alao Akala. If you can take time and evaluate this man, s performance and stop being bias, you will see that Alao Akala has done more good than so many governors in the south west.

The teachers in Oyo state feel hes a wimp

so why shd i believe what u just posted

so what did he do in healthcare? what about agric?

care to enlighten us?
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by tkb417(m): 1:17pm On Sep 24, 2010
you will see that Alao Akala has done more good than so many governors in the south west.
maybe OGD cos i dont know of any SW Guvnor that is as poor as Akala
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by Fhemmmy: 1:18pm On Sep 24, 2010
Nigerians and their mentality . . . This is a man that gave them shitter and nothing else, yet, the crowd is around him?
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by Ayowumie(m): 1:21pm On Sep 24, 2010
I dont know where the acheivement of Akala abound.
It is high time Ibadan people decided their fate. Whether to follow the bandwagon in electing people or TO ELECT PEOPLE BASED ON PERFORMANCE.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by Fhemmmy: 1:28pm On Sep 24, 2010
Ayowumie:

I dont know where the acheivement of Akala abound.
It is high time Ibadan people decided their fate. Whether to follow the bandwagon in electing people or TO ELECT PEOPLE BASED ON PERFORMANCE.

It is high time the whole nation.
It is hight time for a wife to vote based on her conscience and what she knows and not cos the husband is voting for someone.
it is high time, Dad is able to drop the son to vote for someone he does not agree with and the daughter vote for someone else.
It is time for elections in Nigeria to be fun and non violent and rig free
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by Deen4me(m): 1:47pm On Sep 24, 2010
@ Estinjohn

Kindly help me list the roads he did

I also stay in Ibadan.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by Nobody: 1:49pm On Sep 24, 2010
stormm:

Check that pix very well, na Tokyo, Eleweomo and the NURTW pple dey there. Do not be deceived.

You got it right my brother, I passed through the placed and saw all these tokyo guys and nurtw, and thugs.

They even use their buses to cause go slow.

You can never see a responsible person going there.

The Illiterate Governor and his Illiterate people were the one that filled the stadium

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by kaion(m): 1:51pm On Sep 24, 2010
(God Please forgive me ) @estinjohn he no go better for you what the Bleep did you just say i guess you must be very very retarded with your post, the same oyo state, guy i'm sure you are one of his boys and by the grace ofo ni gbo gbo yin mase(all of you all together). good for nothing dumbass fools.  All these politicians are just fortunate i don't have a sniper men dead body should be everywhere by now cos i'm just sick and tired of there stealing and Akala is definitely the number on my list.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 24, 2010
kaion:

(God Please forgive me ) @estinjohn he no go better for you what the bleep did you just say i guess you must be very very retarded with your post, the same oyo state, guy i'm sure you are one of his boys and by the grace ofo ni gbo gbo yin mase(all of you all together). good for nothing dumbass fools.  All these politicians are just fortunate i don't have a sniper men dead body should be everywhere by now cos i'm just sick and tired of there stealing and Akala is definitely the number on my list.

Didn't you know that THE S.T.U.P.I.D. FOOL estinjohn is one of those guys in these so called NURTW and TOKYO , leave him to be hailing him.

He's getting something from the ILLITERATE AKALA AND OTHERS.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by ayoola2002(m): 1:59pm On Sep 24, 2010
estinjohn:

Many of you  who are crucifying Akala are ignorant of his great achievements in Ibadan. Most of you have never been to Ibadan yet you base your judgement on what you see on the internet and newspapers. I don’t know why the press disgust this man
What else do you want

You people are just sentimental based on the Adedoja ‘s  impeachment saga  . There is no justification for you bad opinion of the man Alao Akala. If you can take time and evaluate this man, s performance  and stop being bias, you will see that Alao Akala has done more good than so many governors in the south west.

I support u jare,  U and ur bleaching govenor, Oya too govenor and amala politics dt u are doing. 90% of the state are compaining that he did nothing and u are supporting the bleaching govenor. Gbosa for u. Pls come to lagos and see changes. EKO ONIBAJE OOO!

1 Like

Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by tunnytox(m): 2:01pm On Sep 24, 2010
estinjohn:

Many of you  who are crucifying Akala are ignorant of his great achievements in Ibadan. Most of you have never been to Ibadan yet you base your judgement on what you see on the internet and newspapers. I don’t know why the press disgust this man
What else do you want

You people are just sentimental based on the Adedoja ‘s  impeachment saga  . There is no justification for you bad opinion of the man Alao Akala. If you can take time and evaluate this man, s performance  and stop being bias, you will see that Alao Akala has done more good than so many governors in the south west.

THUNDER FIRE YOUR MOUTH for this post, I know people like you are part of the looters in Oyo state .You and your entire family shall reap the fruit of your labour both good and bad , AMEN
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by drmoney: 2:01pm On Sep 24, 2010
I think this man's cluelessness is fast rubbing off on the people of his state.
If the story and picture are anything to go by, then the pacesetter state is FINISHED.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by jibsyola(f): 2:51pm On Sep 24, 2010
@ ESTINJOHN
Na lie ooo.sanpona go kill you bloody liar.What has he done especially in his hometown(ogbomoso) where trailers kill students like gesha.If you dont want me to curse you,u better stop praising Akala.STUPID AND BLEACHING GOVERNOR.

WARNING!
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by deols(f): 4:20pm On Sep 24, 2010
Princek12:

Alao Akala represents the mentality of the majority of the people of Oyo state and Ibadan--benighted residents who are happy as long as they eat their amala and ewedu soup. How did Oyo residents allow him to be the governor? The entire state should be condemning that fool called Akala, for he has not improved the infrastructure of the state. As a matter of fact, I don't think any Oyo governor has improved the state's infrastructure in the last sixteen years. Amala politics at its finest.

I hate it when people talk like this.Go to Ibadan and hear an average person talk and then u'll realise what rubbish u'r spitting. If there are a people in Nigeria who discuss politics over meals and care so much about who's governing them at a time, they are the people of Ibadan. THe only reason there was so much noise over Adedibu is because the whole Ibadan was aware of everything going on in his camp.

The only reason Akala came in as givernor is the same reason Yar'adua was president. So how did the whole of Nigeria allow that
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by deols(f): 4:23pm On Sep 24, 2010
jibsy_ola:

@ ESTINJOHN
Na lie ooo.sanpona go kill you bloody liar.What has he done especially in his hometown(ogbomoso) where trailers kill students like gesha.If you dont want me to curse you,u better stop praising Akala.silly AND BLEACHING GOVERNOR.

WARNING!

I almost said Amen evn though i dont believe in Sanpona. All i know is ds pple will answer for every cry, every noise, hunger, death caused by their selfish rule.
Re: Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala by deols(f): 4:28pm On Sep 24, 2010
mens dept:

So in Ibadan, they are "standing" still. Yet the roads in this brownish town are pretty much the SAME as they were in 1999, under CP Amen Edore Oyakhire    

Hey, Ibadan is not a brownish town but has a lot of visible brown, rusted roofs brought about by its array of hills.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. / Breaking News: Police Declare Senator Bukola Saraki Wanted Over $133.5 Million / Burutai wife own dubai property...revealed by sahara reporters. Picz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.