Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,794 members, 7,806,193 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? (6478 Views)

Why Do Athiest Belief There Is No GOD? / Athiest Claim: If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace? / How can INTELLIGENT people believe in EVOLUTION ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Rhino3dm: 6:39am On Sep 24, 2010
I know its kind of funny but at times am forced to believe that athiest are the most intelligent and educative people. When you take a dispassionate glance at  majority of the posts in this section you will get a clue of what am instinuating. Though am not one of them, but i have to give it to them. Infact  i felt it will right if mods introduce a psychometric test as a pre-requisite in this section with a minimum cut off IQ and the results to be displayed automatically close to all user's ID.  what do you think? ?

And if you are still in doubt just lacate "How Joeagbaje Became God" for quick refrence.
While i wait replies i will want every body to repeat this  statement before posting

' AM NOT GOING TO BE BIAS' 

Thanks
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Moonstone(f): 6:53am On Sep 24, 2010
I AM SO NOT GOING TO BE BIASED cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

The reason atheists may seem so brilliant is because they are objective about every religion they come in contact with. The rest of us are blind to the faults of our religion because of the faith we have in whatever religion we're in.

Yes they are intelligent but it's quite untrue to call them the Most Intelligent.

Rhino.3dm:
Infact  i felt it will right if mods introduce a psychometric test as a pre-requisite in this section with a minimum cut off IQ and the results to be displayed automatically close to all user's ID.  what do you think?
I think this is a bit harsh. Even people with low IQs can sometimes make a good argument.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by tpiah: 7:06am On Sep 24, 2010
no, @question.

ability to hurl vulgar insults and obscenities doesnt equal intelligence.

neither does losing your temper and turning to a freak show everytime someone says "God" mean you are intelligent.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by manmustwac(m): 1:07pm On Sep 24, 2010
Well the christian can see all the faults and inconsistencies in the islamic religion, and the muslim can see all the faults and inconsistencies in the Christian religion but we athiests can see the faults and inconsistencies in both religions so according to my reasoning i guess that makes us ATHIESTS smartest out of the bunch smiley
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 24, 2010
^^^^ u should have added the other way round that both the muslims&christians find atheism absurd&irrational
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by noetic16(m): 1:36pm On Sep 24, 2010
@ OP

atheists are brilliabt only in their dreams. whats brilliant in the inability to construct ur beliefs in a meaningful and objective easy to comprehend words.

atheism dennotes ignorance.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Purist(m): 1:49pm On Sep 24, 2010
Nope.  Atheists are not the most intelligent people, because atheism itself only mirrors the irrational certitude of religion.  More so, many atheists base their lack of belief in a deity solely on the flaws of various religions, which I believe is a faulty premise.  The fact that there are weird/inhumane stories in the Bible or outright nonsense in the Quran is no reason to entirely dismiss the possibility of the existence of a god.  The idea of a god is no exclusive preserve of any religion.  If there is any such thing as "the most intelligent people", I think only agnostics (weak agnostics specifically) qualify to be labelled as such. cool
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Purist(m): 2:15pm On Sep 24, 2010
noetic16:

@ OP

atheists are brilliabt only in their dreams. whats brilliant in the inability to construct your beliefs in a meaningful and objective easy to comprehend words.

Hey, you shouldn't take anything away from these guys. On religious matters, they actually, generally, utilize their brains far better than theists.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 2:37pm On Sep 24, 2010
Purist:

Nope.  Atheists are not the most intelligent people, because atheism itself only mirrors the irrational certitude of religion.  More so, many atheists base their lack of belief in a deity solely on the flaws of various religions, which I believe is a faulty premise.  The fact that there are weird/inhumane stories in the Bible or outright nonsense in the Quran is no reason to entirely dismiss the possibility of the existence of a god.  A god is no exclusive preserve of any religion. If there is any such thing as "the most intelligent people", I think only agnostics (weak agnostics specifically) qualify to be labelled as such. cool
I think agnostics make a half-hearted response, though allowed reason to convince them, still keep the vestiges of religion within them. God exists in religion only and he is more or less imagined. Stepping out of religion (whatever it is) god ceases to exist.

The inherent flaws in Christianity and Islam point to their discredit.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by ilosiwaju: 3:17pm On Sep 24, 2010
I wont say most intelligent. They are kinda more rational and objective than the average churcher or mosquer when it comes to religious matters. Besides, atheism actually aint really a philosophy or religion with its own set of ideals, its just a rejection of certain beliefs for some certain reasons.
not collecting stamps is not a hobby.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Purist(m): 3:20pm On Sep 24, 2010
Kay 17:

God exists in religion only and he is more or less imagined.

I'm quite sure the deists will strongly disagree with you. Deepsight, over to you.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 6:45pm On Sep 24, 2010
Okay, I lay the question who is god?

The problem arises, the definition of god. remember you ve rejected that provided by religion.

Is it a being responsible for the creation of the universe?

Does he form a small part of his own world?

The features of omniscient, omnipotent, necessary?
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by UyiIredia(m): 6:52pm On Sep 24, 2010
I WON'T BE BIASED
@ topic >>> religion or irreligion isn't a criteria for intellectual capacity (intelligence)

@ Kay 17 >>> I answer ur question with a question >>> Who are you?
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by DeepSight(m): 7:03pm On Sep 24, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

I know its kind of funny but at times am forced to believe that athiest are the most intelligent and educative people. When you take a dispassionate glance at  majority of the posts in this section you will get a clue of what am instinuating. Though am not one of them, but i have to give it to them. Infact  i felt it will right if mods introduce a psychometric test as a pre-requisite in this section with a minimum cut off IQ and the results to be displayed automatically close to all user's ID.  what do you think? ?

And if you are still in doubt just lacate "How Joeagbaje Became God" for quick refrence.
While i wait replies i will want every body to repeat this  statement before posting

' AM NOT GOING TO BE BIAS' 

Thanks 

Atheism makes no sense. Not even a scintilla of sense.

It is much, much smarter  to be agnostic. Indeed I find that the vast majority of atheists on this forum do not know what atheism is. They are in reality agnostics who are yet to come across the word "agnostic." Most of them are simply anti-religionists. That is NOT pure atheism.

noetic16:

@ OP

atheists are brilliabt only in their dreams. whats brilliant in the inability to construct your beliefs in a meaningful and objective easy to comprehend words.

Seconded.

Purist:

Hey, you shouldn't take anything away from these guys. On religious matters, they actually, generally, utilize their brains far better than theists.

It is a certified fact that the generality of the most brilliant minds throughout history believed in the existence of God. Even Darwin made several allussions to this. Nobody can study nature as extensively as he did and not end up absolutely blown away - not just by its magnificence, but by the gross improbability of its existence in the first place. Try the human eye. Or a giant tarrantullar. Or Ant Hills that contain air-conditioning mechanisms. No be today. Noetic is right - atheism denotes ignorance: willfull blindness.

Kay 17:

Okay, I lay the question who is god?

The immutable and eternal element or factor responsible for all that exists.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by nuclearboy(m): 7:12pm On Sep 24, 2010
Are Atheists The Most Intelligent People? grin

Imagine a soccer match - one team has rules

1. no hands
2. no rough tackles
3. only 11 of you on the field
4. etc

The other team has none - 200 of you, use hands, teeth, throw punches, carry clubs (swords, if you like)

I suspect the "no=rules" side will seem to have an upper hand.

What do you critique in atheism? That they don't "know" or that science is still learning more? There's a target with deists and none with atheists so its easy to seem "sharp" - Just be as belligerent as you can manage and quote as many other belligerent people who also are quoting other belligerent people etc. And if push comes to shove, say "we're still learning, science is advancing daily"

Very intelligent wink
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by DeepSight(m): 7:17pm On Sep 24, 2010
nuclearboy:

1. no hands
2. no rough tackles
4. etc

The other team has none - 200 of you, use hands, teeth, throw punches, carry clubs (swords, if you like)

This is supposing that a lack of ethics is exclusive to athiests: or even that atheism has anything to do with a lack of ethics. That is not true.

There are atheists with excellent ethics, just as surely as there are religious people without ethics.

I am sure some of your recent tirades will be sufficient to underscore my point in this regard.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 24, 2010
Deep Sight:

It is much, much smarter  to be agnostic. Indeed I find that the vast majority of atheists on this forum do not know what atheism is. They are in reality agnostics who are yet to come across the word "agnostic." Most of them are simply anti-religionists. That is NOT pure atheism.

It is a certified fact that the generality of the most brilliant minds throughout history believed in the existence of God. Even Darwin made several allussions to this. Nobody can study nature as extensively as he did and not end up absolutely blown away - not just by its magnificence, but by the gross improbability of its existence in the first place. Try the human eye. Or a giant tarrantullar. Or Ant Hills that contain air-conditioning mechanisms. No be today. Noetic is right - atheism denotes ignorance: willfull blindness.

Yes

nuclearboy:

1. no hands
2. no rough tackles
4. etc

What do you critique in atheism? That they don't "know" or that science is still learning more? There's a target with deists and none with atheists so its easy to seem "sharp" - Just be as belligerent as you can manage and quote as many other belligerent people who also are quoting other belligerent people etc. And if push comes to shove, say "we're still learning, science is advancing daily"

Very intelligent wink

Gbam
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by thehomer: 7:36pm On Sep 24, 2010
I must admit from the outset that I do tend to be biased towards logic and reasoning so I cannot paste what was requested by the OP.

Agnosticism and atheism address two different questions and are not mutually exclusive. One can be an agnostic atheist another can be and agnostic theist etc.

The way I see it, gnosticism/agnosticism is about knowledge while theism/atheism is about acceptance of belief in a particular supernatural entity.

Now about intelligence, I understand that there are difficulties with trying to assess it. But there is an unscientific analysis that seemed to show that at least when it came to a self selected group of people interacting online, the more non-religious people tended to score higher. While this does not decide the case one way or another, I think it is an interesting food for thought.

Here's the site with the data analysis and result. Just skip down to just before the comments began.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-real-stuff-white-people-like/
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by thehomer: 7:46pm On Sep 24, 2010
Deep Sight:

Why do you think so? You do realize that you are an atheist with respect to some deities.

Deep Sight:

I've addressed this in my recent post.

Deep Sight:

Seconded.

Darwin rejected his religion and his work has been misquoted at times to make it seem as though he still believed. But so what if many people in the past believed in some entity?
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by DeepSight(m): 8:15pm On Sep 24, 2010
thehomer:

Why do you think so? You do realize that you are an atheist with respect to some deities.

This is false. Atheism is a rejection of the existence of God or gods.

Accordingly no person who accepts belief in so much as one god, goddess or GOD, can be described as atheist.

If that were the case, then in the eyes of the Hindu, the Christian might be an atheist. That is an absurdity.

Theism is acceptance of the existence of GOD or gods. Any acceptance of any god removes an individual from the class of atheists, for atheists subscribe to NO god.

Darwin rejected his religion and his work has been misquoted at times to make it seem as though he still believed. But so what if many people in the past believed in some entity?

Again you are being clever by half. I did not merely say "many people." I said "the generality of the most brilliant minds throughout history" - and the relevance of that statement is in reference to the OP's suggestion that Atheists are "the most intelligent people."

1 Like

Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by DeepSight(m): 8:21pm On Sep 24, 2010
thehomer:

Darwin rejected his religion

Rejection of religion is not the same thing as rejection of belief in the existence of God.

I do reject religion and yet I very much believe that God exists.

We cannot presume that Darwin was conclusively an atheist.

These are Wiki Quotes from the Page on Darwin's religious views -

Though he thought of religion as a tribal survival strategy, Darwin still believed that God was the ultimate lawgiver,[10][11] and later recollected that at the time he was convinced of the existence of God as a First Cause and deserved to be called a theist. This view subsequently fluctuated,[12] and he continued to explore conscientious doubts, without forming fixed opinions on certain religious matters.[7]

In 1879 a letter came asking if he believed in God, and if theism and evolution were compatible. He replied that a man "can be an ardent Theist and an evolutionist", citing Charles Kingsley and Asa Gray as examples, and for himself, he had "never been an Atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God". He added that "I think that generally (and more and more as I grow older), but not always, that an Agnostic would be a more correct description of my state of mind."

Those opposing religion often took Darwin as their inspiration and expected his support for their cause, a role he firmly refused
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by nuclearboy(m): 8:32pm On Sep 24, 2010
@DS:

So now you stalk me? Whats so painful? wink You give too much away with this victim thing - remind me to get under your skin weekly if thats makes you hard. I'm that comfy with myself that I'll bully you if you enjoy it so much kiss

BTW, a lack of rules is different from a lack of ethics - are you seeking support from the Atheist community? I think they wear their glasses and thinking caps when they read so are able to see that elementary difference that escaped you. Maybe you should do a reset and wear a set too.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by mazaje(m): 8:35pm On Sep 24, 2010
noetic16:

@ OP

How does atheism denote ignorance?. . . . . .

Deep Sight:

Atheism is the disbelieve in God, I am a full atheist because I disbelieve in the existence of all the Gods. . . . . .

How does the existence of the human eye prove that there is a God? Did any God tell you that he created the air conditioning system in the ant hill?. . .How do the existence of these things prove that there is a God?. . . . .So because ants exist that means God also must exist, eh?. . . . .

How do you know that there is only ONE factor that is responsible for all that exist and that factor is eternal? Do you have any evidence for this or are you just making things as usual like others before you have been doing?. . . . .Did any external factor come up to you are tell you that he is responsible for all that exist? or is this the same whole "since I don't know so it must be God" brouhaha?. . . . .No body knows anything about existence any body that says other wise is simply LYING and making things up. . . . . . .I don't know is the most honest answer, the God hypothesis is already a FAILED hypothesis. . .  ,
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by DeepSight(m): 8:35pm On Sep 24, 2010
nuclearboy:

@DS:

So now you stalk me? Whats so painful? wink You give too much away with this victim thing - remind me to get under your skin weekly if thats makes you hard. I'm that comfy with myself that I'll bully you if you enjoy it so much kiss

One would think that with time the aggression of adolecence would wilter away. Not so with all men. Ah, how slow I am, to notice, Nuclear[b]boy.[/b]

BTW, a lack of rules is different from a lack of ethics

So what rules were you referring to, pray? because it is most clear from your post that you indicated "belligerence. . ."

Aside this you mentioned "using hands, clubs, teeth, etc" as analogous to the behaviour of the atheists, vis-a-vis a football team. Ethical? Ha.

Sir: I play no victim: pardon me if the scent of dissapointment is painfully similar to the scent of despair.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by nuclearboy(m): 8:41pm On Sep 24, 2010
^^ Ah, you've joined the "boy" club - First was Abuzola, then Joagbaje, Fyneguy, Nopugeater, and now DeepSight. How fitting! Good company for you!

You've fast become my favorite poster here. Sadly, the mold is similar to that hitherto reserved for Abuzola who you just showed to be your mentor. Enjoy your sensitiveness and finickyness - I only hope it doesn't point to other effeminate tendencies
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by mazaje(m): 8:46pm On Sep 24, 2010
@ OP

NO, atheist are not the most intelligent people around. . . . . .Many atheist I know are just as dull as any other person out there. . . . .When it comes to religious discussions and matters atheist analyze things more rationally since they are not indoctrinated and forced to reason or think in a particular fashion. . . .
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by thehomer: 8:50pm On Sep 24, 2010
Deep Sight:

This is false. Atheism is a rejection of the existence of God or gods.

Accordingly no person who accepts belief in so much as one god, goddess or GOD, can be described as atheist.

If that were the case, then in the eyes of the Hindu, the Christian might be an atheist. That is an absurdity.

Theism is acceptance of the existence of GOD or gods. Any acceptance of any god removes an individual from the class of atheists, for atheists subscribe to NO god.

Well do you believe in the Hindu Gods? If not, then you are an atheist with respect to the Hindu Gods.

Deep Sight:

Again you are being clever by half. I did not merely say "many people." I said "the generality of the most brilliant minds throughout history" - and the relevance of that statement is in reference to the OP's suggestion that Atheists are "the most intelligent people."

Why use ancient history? We now have more and better information. Do you not think that if you're going to make such a decision based on the prevailing minds and knowledge, it would be better to use more current information?
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 8:59pm On Sep 24, 2010
A key point of disagreement with deepsight, is the number he can give to the creative minds/forces of this universe. How were you able to ascertain that there is a single creator, Diving into speculation, there could be coexisting and cooperative factors/forces which are responsible for different spheres of existence. At least we agree that the complexity of the world is what warrants and accommodates a creator or creators.

Example, the spiritual world and material one governed by different laws and BEINGS,

Also don't you think you are biased towards a single god, by your environment? I mean that monotheism is in vogue, in our present world, so your mind is not on that frequency to readily accept plurality in origins.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by thehomer: 9:01pm On Sep 24, 2010
Deep Sight:

Rejection of religion is not the same thing as rejection of belief in the existence of God.

I do reject religion and yet I very much believe that God exists.

Is it the same type of God described in the religions you reject or is it some other entity you've thought of and named God? You may be able to better get your message across if you were to give this entity another name or a better definition rather than using the overloaded word "God".

Deep Sight:

We cannot presume that Darwin was conclusively an atheist.

These are Wiki Quotes from the Page on Darwin's religious views -

I don't presume that he was an atheist. From what I read, he was answering another question.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by InesQor(m): 5:37am On Sep 25, 2010
No they are not. And neither are theists nor agnostics the Most Intelligent People, necessarily.

Where did this trivial question wantonly spout from?  undecided undecided undecided
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Gamine(f): 11:48am On Sep 25, 2010
Intelligence is not down to beliefs, It's how you utilize the Brain you have

Besides, there are no faults or inconsistency in the Love of God.

The Atheist cannot understand that.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 1:26pm On Sep 25, 2010
Christians and Muslims just know everything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Destroying Satanic Witchcraft Cobwebs Part 1 / Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? / Science & The Bible Give Clues About The Location Of Heaven.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.