Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? (6477 Views)

Why Do Athiest Belief There Is No GOD? / Athiest Claim: If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace? / How can INTELLIGENT people believe in EVOLUTION ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by UyiIredia(m): 2:47pm On Sep 25, 2010
Kay 17:

Christians and Muslims just know everything.

but of course >>>> you know that
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 25, 2010
manmustwac:

Well the christian can see all the faults and inconsistencies in the islamic religion, and the muslim can see all the faults and inconsistencies in the Christian religion but we athiests can see the faults and inconsistencies in both religions so according to my reasoning i guess that makes us ATHIESTS smartest out of the bunch smiley

if this is an example of the type of intelligence on display from atheists then i'm left wondering what exactly the OP is trying to say. This is about as simple minded as you can get . . . this atheist considers himself smart simply on the basis of having NO opinion on either religions?

What does manmustwac mean by "faults and inconsistencies"? We cant just go around labeling our own ignorance and inability to reason as someone else's "faults and inconsistencies".

Here is the problem . . . the atheist actually has something to "attack" - i.e. at least the religious have a set of principles to defend and which the atheist has a field day struggling to pick apart. Turn the tables . . . virtually NONE of the atheists here can coherently argue in favour of science!
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 25, 2010
David point of note the Author himself is a deist and i recently read a post from him describing the beauty and nature of God. What hes trying to prove is known to him cos the NL Atheists themselves cant intelligence exclusively
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 4:01pm On Sep 25, 2010
@uyi
that was an irony.
this atheist considers himself smart simply on the basis of having NO opinion on either religions?
Actually they do have an opinion, - no god or gods. Its usually a battle between reason and faith
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by harakiri(m): 4:18pm On Sep 25, 2010
@Post

I'd use the words "objective,rational and unbiased". The thing is, most people who are Atheists are people that were once ardent religious people. At some point, they delved deep into their faith and realized that it's all a sham. For instance, most Atheists who were once Christians have a more in-depth knowledge of the bible, it's inaccuracies/inconsistencies than regular church goers/believers who swallow everything hook,line and sinker.

My 2 cents!!!
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 4:40pm On Sep 25, 2010
I concur. grin
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2010
Harakiri, unfortunately your post is a mishmash of misguided atheist demagoguery.

harakiri:

@Post

I'd use the words "objective,rational and unbiased".

Absolutely untrue.

1. Most of atheism is directed at christianity SOLELY. Hardly what you'd call "objective".

2. Much of atheism is itself built un IRRATIONAL opposition to christianity (most atheists have a very poor understanding of the bible and mostly go on snippets they read online) . . . besides only a tiny fraction of atheists have a coherent and factual understanding of the science they claim proves religions wrong.

harakiri:

The thing is, most people who are Atheists are people that were once ardent religious people.

absolutely untrue. Just wearing the label "christian" does not make you one. I would expect "once ardent" christians to at least have a basic understanding of the bible . . . i dont see any on display.

harakiri:

At some point, they delved deep into their faith and realized that it's all a sham.

what a complete joke. "Delved deep"? lol. I think the little said on this the better. I cant find an atheist here who can convincingly hold their own in a purely bible debate besides rushing off to plagiarise atheist webpages. delved deep indeed.

harakiri:

For instance, most Atheists who were once Christians have a more in-depth knowledge of the bible, it's inaccuracies/inconsistencies than regular church goers/believers who swallow everything hook,line and sinker.

My 2 cents!!!

same as above. in-depth knowledge . . . indeed.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 25, 2010
Kay 17:

Actually they do have an opinion, - no god or gods. Its usually a battle between reason and faith

How is that an opinion?
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Rhino3dm: 5:44pm On Sep 25, 2010
Why cant you just speak for yourself? How is that difficult? ? Think before post. . . And dont ever post before you think. Next person please!

toba:

David point of note the Author himself is a deist and i recently read a post from him describing the beauty and nature of God. What hes trying to prove is known to him cos the NL Atheists themselves cant intelligence exclusively
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by UyiIredia(m): 5:50pm On Sep 25, 2010
interesting >>> then atheism is as much an irreligion as a religion

@ Kay17 >>> your talk of atheists having the opine- no gods >>>  is in contrast to the description of Atheism
by 'New Atheists': Atheism is a 'lack of belief' (opinion) in god(s) >>> having an opinion means having a belief
having a belief makes it religious, howbeit, atheism is tagged an irreligion

the first poster >>> hit the bull's eye >>> by stating that: "atheism is becoming a systematic set of 'unbeliefs', it is becoming a religion"

ilosiwaju:

I wont say most intelligent. They are kinda more rational and objective than the average churcher or mosquer when it comes to religious matters. Besides, atheism actually aint really a philosophy or religion with its own set of ideals, its just a rejection of certain beliefs for some certain reasons.
not collecting stamps is not a hobby.

this is why a theist >>> like myself >>> can juxtapose ur opnion of no god(s) >>> as invalid to qualify as an opinion_an apparent rhetoric
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by mazaje(m): 5:58pm On Sep 25, 2010
davidylan:

absolutely untrue. Just wearing the label "christian" does not make you one. I would expect "once ardent" christians to at least have a basic understanding of the bible . . . i dont see any on display.

So what makes one a Christian? Davidylan's defination of what Christianity is supposed to be? A Christian is any one that believes in Jesus and abides by the teachings of the bible which is sometimes contradictory, There is NO universal Christianity because Christians pick and choose what they want out of the bible to create a God that agrees with their personal wants and desires, every body is just making things up in accordance to their personal beliefs and opinions. This is the reason why there are over 30 thousand sects within the Christian body all claiming monopoly of knowledge of the bible. A simple look at how Christians behave by picking and choosing what they want will tell any objective person that it's all pure nonsense. . . . . .

what a complete joke. "Delved deep"? lol. I think the little said on this the better. I cant find an atheist here who can convincingly hold their own in a purely bible debate besides rushing off to plagiarise atheist webpages. delved deep indeed.

The fact still remains, atheist knows MORE about the bible than the average Christian that just swallows it hook, line and sinker. . . . . .Is it not the same bible that Christians themselves are yet to agree over what it's teachings are? The old earth creationist, young earth creationist, believers in a global flood and those that do not, prosperity preachers etc are they all not reading from the same bible?. . . . . it is the Christians who ALWAYS spin the bible to meet their needs and wants, that is why the Christians themselves can not agree on anything and hence the constant division. All you guys do is self project yourselves as God and put forward your personal interpretation and opinions as the true interpretation of what is written in the bible. . . . .All this talk about atheist not understanding the bible is PURE crap. . . .
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by UyiIredia(m): 6:08pm On Sep 25, 2010
personal beliefs and opinions. This is the reason why there are over 30 thousand sects within the Christian body

a reason for that is b'cos the Homo Sapiens is subjectively objective _clarify it urself >>> this 'subjective objectiveness' is
not immune to science_talkless philosophy >>> it can be argued that there are as many 'isms' as there are humans >>> dichotomies,
'confusions' & violence on the part of 'Christians' >> (i'm equally wary of the word for the reason u advocate) >>> do not consititute
'sufficient proof' that Christianity >>> and (taking it a step further) God is 'pure' undecided nonsense
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by UyiIredia(m): 6:15pm On Sep 25, 2010
the irony of subscribing to atheism >>> u become a theist cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by mazaje(m): 6:18pm On Sep 25, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

a reason for that is b'cos the Homo Sapiens is subjectively objective _clarify it urself >>> this 'subjective objectiveness' is
not immune to science_talkless philosophy >>> it can be argued that there are as many 'isms' as there are humans >>> dichotomies,
'confusions' & violence on the part of 'Christians' >> (i'm equally wary of the word for the reason u advocate) >>> do not consititute
'sufficient proof' that Christianity >>> and (taking it a step further) God is 'pure'  undecided nonsense

I brought this up because Christians like claiming that the atheists do not understand the bible as if there is a standard or universal criteria for understanding the bible, the fact is there is NO such thing because the Christians themselves are yet to fully agree on what the teachings of the bible are. . . .I repeat there is NO universal Christian doctrine and Christians just go about using the bible to create and portray the picture of the God they want others to believe in. . . . .The Christians themselves are yet to agree on what is figurative, metaphorical or allegorical inside the bible and davidylan is there talking about the atheist not understanding the bible. . . . .I laugh in koine greek
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by UyiIredia(m): 6:38pm On Sep 25, 2010
mazaje:

I brought this up because Christians like claiming that the atheists do not understand the bible * 1 as if there is a standard or universal criteria for understanding the bible*2 , the fact is there is NO such thing because the Christians themselves are yet to[b] fully agree on what the teachings of the bible are[/b]*3 . . . .I repeat there is NO universal Christian doctrine*4 and Christians just go about using the bible to create and portray the picture of the God they want others to believe in. . . . .The Christians themselves are yet to agree on what is figurative, metaphorical or allegorical  inside the bible and davidylan is there talking about the atheist not understanding the bible. . . . .I laugh in koine greek

*1 >>> in this regard i assuage u by telling u to ignore them in this regard >>> i'm assuming
     the lack of understanding Christians claim to mean total ignorance

*2 >>> still based on my allegory with respect to science we know that there is no universal theory which explains
     all scientific phenomena >>> science still strives for the theory of everything >>> this doesn't make science less useful
     despite the strong claims by logical positivists e.g Karl Popper >>> recently came across him >>> against science & scientific techniques

*3 >>> the law is oft interpreted, misinterpreted & legal gymnastics occur >>> just to pervert justice >>> yet the law remains & is useful
     >>> in this regard >>> i don't think anarchism means totally eradicating law >>> it makes it implicit >>> it presumes self-governance, albeit,
     quite naively.
     >>> the same way i think of the Bible >>> human's tendency to usurp or corrupt selfishly doesn't make the Bible less true
     >>> is the same way (i think) Darwin believed that >>> lack of evidence in the form of transitional fossils doesn't make evolution less true

*4  >>> but there is >>> the irony is how u glossed over it >>> the phenomenon of Jesus' life, death & resurrection (as u should know)  is the
      cornerstone of Christianity >>> it is a common 'doctrine' >>> suffice to say, message.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 25, 2010
mazaje:

So what makes one a Christian? Davidylan's defination of what Christianity is supposed to be? A Christian is any one that believes in Jesus and abides by the teachings of the bible which is sometimes contradictory, There is NO universal Christianity because Christians pick and choose what they want out of the bible to create a God that agrees with their personal wants and desires, every body is just making things up in accordance to their personal beliefs and opinions. This is the reason why there are over 30 thousand sects within the Christian body all claiming monopoly of knowledge of the bible. A simple look at how Christians behave by picking and choosing what they want will tell any objective person that it's all pure nonsense. . . . . .

There you go . . . he dismisses my notion on the basis that there is no "universal christianity" then proceeds to tar ALL christians with the same brush on the basis of HIS OWN definition of who a christian is.

lol these guys are jokers.

mazaje:

The fact still remains, atheist knows MORE about the bible than the average Christian that just swallows it hook, line and sinker. . . . . .Is it not the same bible that Christians themselves are yet to agree over what it's teachings are? The old earth creationist, young earth creationist, believers in a global flood and those that do not, prosperity preachers etc are they all not reading from the same bible?. . . . . it is the Christians who ALWAYS spin the bible to meet their needs and wants, that is why the Christians themselves can not agree on anything and hence the constant division. All you guys do is self project yourselves as God and put forward your personal interpretation and opinions as the true interpretation of what is written in the bible. . . . .All this talk about atheist not understanding the bible is PURE crap. . . .

Another example of "unbias" and "objectivity" posted of course with no regard to the facts.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 25, 2010
mazaje:

I brought this up because Christians like claiming that the atheists do not understand the bible as if there is a standard or universal criteria for understanding the bible, the fact is there is NO such thing because the Christians themselves are yet to fully agree on what the teachings of the bible are. . . .I repeat there is NO universal Christian doctrine and Christians just go about using the bible to create and portray the picture of the God they want others to believe in. . . . .The Christians themselves are yet to agree on what is figurative, metaphorical or allegorical inside the bible and davidylan is there talking about the atheist not understanding the bible. . . . .I laugh in koine greek

This is irrelevant. There is no need for a universal agreement on the bible, all we request is that atheists who bloviate so much about "understanding the bible" show us that they do ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND it.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 25, 2010
what's most interesting is that even the OP has not pretended to be intelligent himself. I mean even he has a problem convincingly arguing his claims.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 8:41pm On Sep 25, 2010
[b]
the irony of subscribing to atheism >>> u become a theist
Religion is central to God or Gods, atheism is centred on what?
Any organised opposition towards religion, is misinterpreted to be religion. The common trait among atheists is the use of reason, simple.
'sufficient proof' that Christianity >>> and (taking it a step further) God is 'pure' nonsense
Did you see what you wrote? Can there be two truths on a subject - NO NO! If god exists, and his/her followers provide different definitions for him/her, then there is a PROBLEM.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 8:46pm On Sep 25, 2010
as to the op,
The first step towards stupidity, is ever accepting that faith, as reason is another means to acquiring knowledge. Anybody that does that is a fooool!
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Rhino3dm: 8:54pm On Sep 25, 2010
^^ and why did it take you two days to realize that? ? You should make that your initial post and get out.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Sep 25, 2010
Kay 17:

Any organised opposition towards religion, is misinterpreted to be religion. The common trait among atheists is the use of reason, simple.Did you see what you wrote? Can there be two truths on a subject - NO NO! If god exists, and his/her followers provide different definitions for him/her, then there is a PROBLEM.

lol this is a common misconception . . . that atheists are what they are because of the use of "reason". Ok lets be honest here, is kay 17's claim that the rest of us who are not atheists are just that because we lack the capacity to "reason"? lol the less said on that one the better.

Lets take a step back and look at what kay 17 might consider reason . . . what "reason"? I'm perfectly sure i would do a better job defending kay 17's science and reason than he ever can. So much for reason. cheesy

One more thing . . . the common trait among atheists is simple - an abhorrence for any reference to the CHRISTIAN God. Simple. It has practically NILL to do with reason. 95% of the atheists here are simply slow folks tailgating on the intelligence of a few.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by mazaje(m): 9:04pm On Sep 25, 2010
davidylan:

This is irrelevant. There is no need for a universal agreement on the bible, all we request is that atheists who bloviate so much about "understanding the bible" show us that they do ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND it.

Is this a joke or what? I will state it over and over again that the atheist understand the bible better than the average Christian, most Christians, regardless of their particular traditions, come to the bible with a basic set of operating assumptions.  Namely, that God is holy, all powerful all knowing, and in no way has to answer to us mere mortals.  Secondly, that we humans are depraved  that is sinful "to the core" and therefore not capable of understanding the transcendent God on on our own so we need some kind of external source to help us understand. Christians themselves do not understand the bible if we are to go by what you are trying to say, since there is NO universal acceptable standard for understanding the bible at all. . . . .I very much understand the bible and I have argued with so many Christians over what is written in the bible and found out that they are mostly trying to defend their own church traditions over what is actually written in the bible. . . . .
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 25, 2010
mazaje:

Is this a joke or what? I will state it over and over again that the atheist understand the bible better than the average Christian, most Christians, regardless of their particular traditions, come to the bible with a basic set of operating assumptions.  Namely, that God is holy, all powerful all knowing, and in no way has to answer to us mere mortals.  Secondly, that we humans are depraved  that is sinful "to the core" and therefore not capable of understanding the transcendent God on on our own so we need some kind of external source to help us understand. Christians themselves do not understand the bible if we are to go by what you are trying to say, since there is NO universal acceptable standard for understanding the bible at all. . . . .I very much understand the bible and I have argued with so many Christians over what is written in the bible and found out that they are mostly trying to defend their own church traditions over what is actually written in the bible. . . . .

Wonder how many of them know where the book of Micah is in the bible. Oh well . . . if you bleat long enough it might just be true.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by mazaje(m): 9:12pm On Sep 25, 2010
davidylan:

There you go . . . he dismisses my notion on the basis that there is no "universal christianity" then proceeds to tar ALL christians with the same brush on the basis of HIS OWN definition of who a christian is.

lol these guys are jokers.

The REAL jokers are you guys since you profess things that are completely out of your own making and ascribe it to some external source. . . .Many Christians, think that those who are not  "born again" (a term whose meaning does not have universal agreement among various Christian traditions) cannot possibly understand the bible.  In fact, many such "believers" eschew "Biblical scholarship" and believe that Jesus or the holy spirit (which often such believers claim is Jesus living "inside of them"wink will give them particular insight into the scriptures, if that is true then why the endless confusion and disagreements even amongst VERY sincere Christians?. . . . .
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by mazaje(m): 9:15pm On Sep 25, 2010
davidylan:

Wonder how many of them know where the book of Micah is in the bible. Oh well . . . if you bleat long enough it might just be true.

Now its about the book of Micah, eh?. . . . . . .You don't know the bible better than any body here, you can only continue to self project yourself as God and continue to claim that who ever disagrees with your own personal interpretation or opinion of the bible is on the wrong path. . . . .Any way keep on keeping on cos that's your problem not mine. . . . .
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 25, 2010
mazaje:

Now its about the book of Micah, eh?. . . . . . .You don't know the bible better than any body here, you can only continue to self project yourself as God and continue to claim that who ever disagrees with your own personal interpretation or opinion of the bible is on the wrong path. . . . .Any way keep on keeping on cos that's your problem not mine. . . . .

I was just responding to your foolish claim that atheists know the bible better than christians. I thot i'd throw that in so you intelligent folks could help us dig it out, i cant find it either. Help a brother.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 25, 2010
mazaje:

The REAL jokers are you guys since you profess things that are completely out of your own making and ascribe it to some external source. . . .

Another joke. You on the other hand ascribe things completely out of your own making to another external source. You just call it "science" instead of "God". what's the diff? undecided

This is what passes for intelligence?

mazaje:

Many Christians, think that those who are not  "born again" (a term whose meaning does not have universal agreement among various Christian traditions) cannot possibly understand the bible.

ludicrous. John 3 settles this matter . . .

the fact that there are some humans who dont believe blacks have a brain means there is no universal agreement that blacks are not subhuman?

Absurd

mazaje:

In fact, many such "believers" eschew "Biblical scholarship" and believe that Jesus or the holy spirit (which often such believers claim is Jesus living "inside of them"wink will give them particular insight into the scriptures, if that is true then why the endless confusion and disagreements even amongst VERY sincere Christians?. . . . .

Because humans are not all robotic thinkers and will process things subjectively. Is there a universal agreement on the theory of relativity? Does that invalidate it?

rhino must be proud of you.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by mazaje(m): 9:34pm On Sep 25, 2010
davidylan:

Because humans are not all robotic thinkers and will process things subjectively. Is there a universal agreement on the theory of relativity? Does that invalidate it?

rhino must be proud of you.

Another absurd joke, I thought you guys claim to have some external force(holy spirit) that lives inside of you and helps you to explain and understand(teach) what is written in the bible, is it the same holy spirit that is sending very different and conflicting messages to you guys, I see VERY sincere Christians who lay claim to the holy spirit argue most of the time. . . . . .So what is it with the holy spirit sending different messages to different people?. . . . .
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 25, 2010
mazaje:

Another absurd joke, I thought you guys claim to have some external force(holy spirit) that lives inside of you and helps you to explain and understand(teach) what is written in the bible, is it the same holy spirit that is sending very different and conflicting messages to you guys, I see VERY sincere Christians who lay claim to the holy spirit argue most of the time. . . . . .So what is it with the holy spirit sending different messages to different people?. . . . .

That would be based on the assumption that every christian who takes on the label is actually one.

But again that would be assuming you can reason in the first place. We just seem to be going round in cycles here.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by KAG: 12:49am On Sep 26, 2010
Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ?

Only when it comes to the spelling of atheist.

No, atheists are not necessarily more intelligent than theists.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 2:11pm On Sep 26, 2010
@rhino, we dey fight?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Jesus - Ufo Connection / Destroying Satanic Witchcraft Cobwebs Part 1 / Science & The Bible Give Clues About The Location Of Heaven.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.