Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,358 members, 7,808,242 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage (89256 Views)

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? / Inter-tribal Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by ezeagu(m): 11:56pm On Sep 24, 2010
A-ZeD:

I dont think ethnicity has anything to do wit it, Any educated person(i dont mean someone with a Bsc, cos not all with Bsc are educated in 9ja) should be able know that just because we speak d same language doesnt mean we are incompartible,
Things dat generally destroy marriages include
1) infidelity(Not tribe dependent)
2) Childlessness(Not tribe dependent)
e.t.c.
plus i dont think any marriage in nigeria has crashed due to ethnicity, ethnicity is just our fall guy when we cant face d truth.

Are you sure you're replying to the post you quoted?

Reference:

I quite agree Ezeagu but mono-ethnic England wasn't always so and God knows they had their bitter wars but we must realise that in 2010 the world is fast shrinking. Nations and peoples are seeking alliances of all types across religion, politics and ideologies. The States, England, France, Germany and even Russia, yes Russia today all have blacks in authority. Sectional walls everywhere are crumbling. I was particularly pleased for the Benenoir who got elected in Russia and I'm sure every black man would. On Nairaland we celebrated the election of Nigerians in the UK a few months ago. My deal then is why are issues like these a problem back home. Why would a man not feel comfortable taking a wife from anywhere in Nigeria. If politics or business can do it 6,000 miles away why can't love do it here. Afterall Nigeria is no more than 1,000 miles across.

Let me just say now that is not my business who anybody chooses to marry, my issue is the notion that inter-ethnic marriages 'force' ethnic harmony, just to clear that up for anybody.

Okay, you have to understand that there's a difference between being an immigrant and having two indigenous homelands clipped and bounded together, that whoever those black people in Europe are getting higher positions, doesn't mean that they will go to the town hall meeting, city hall, etc and start to be speaking Igbo or some other language; these immigrants have to assimilate to, which brings me to the point that I have always made, the indigenous/dominant culture. Every country needs one, and from observation, you will see that every country (and that is every single one of them) without a dominant culture is failed or declining, or non existent (Yugoslavia), Nigeria is no different, no matter how much inter-ethnic mixing that so many countries, kingdoms and empires have already tried, nothing will unite a country like a dominant culture, it's obvious. Nigeria has three broad dominant cultures battling it out in every section of the country. Anyway this is for another thread. The point is that inter-ethnic mixing doesn't create a nation, culture does.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 2:48am On Sep 25, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Well, the [dis]advantages of inter-tribal marriages are not that much different than that of intra-tribal marriages, if at all. Parties involved will still face similar challenges and go through similar ups and downs. So now, it would have to be left to the parties involved to decide what [dis]advantages would apply to them and their situation.

Very true.

But the chances for all those disadvantages to occur is farrrrr greater than in intra-tribal marriages.

Just spend some time with both side of the family, inlaws etc, before getting married. Know who you're dealing with.

@post

Can think of one advantage. undecided
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by akwaowoudo(m): 2:57am On Sep 25, 2010
Tolulop001:

im so sorry
this is so sad, in the 21st |Century
i guess ull have to move on, abi?
pathetic.
Ambiguity _ . . . moving on with the girl or with another.
ezeagu:

Dora Akunyili
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

There aren't any Nigerian females that are more prominent and independent today than the two above.

I need the source of this.

Tell your mum.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 3:08am On Sep 25, 2010
Billsmith:

I fell in love with a Yoruba and my plans was to get mrried to her. The first day her dad saw her with me, she was beaten up and was forbidden from seeing me. Her elder sister saw her again with me and she was beaten up again mercilessly. Their reason was that, I am not from their tribe and they say nothing whenever they see her with a Yoruba boy.
I really love her and feels jealous whenever I see her with other Yoruba boys talking. I have tried to put her off my mind but no way. She still love me as she said and I realy need to settle down soon. I love her but her people are now our obstacle. What do I do? I can't even put her off my mind. I need your advice .

Eyah. . . . sorry eh. Just try to get over her.
How old is she? If she's a woman, how can they still be beating her up for seeing you?
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by akwaowoudo(m): 3:17am On Sep 25, 2010
ezeagu:

Dora Akunyili
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

There aren't any Nigerian females that are more prominent and independent today than the two above.

Tell your mum.
I need the source of your information. Be it from encyclopaedia, "your survey" is wrong. Have a re-check of the last census data of women in Nigeria and tell me how the duo lead. There are many more prominent and independent women from Nigeria representing well in their endeavours. Extending a little, what can you say of the first female university vice chancellor in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by akwaowoudo(m): 3:42am On Sep 25, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

If she's a woman, how can they still be beating her up for seeing you?

Abeg, i need explanation on " . . . If she is a woman . . . As you portray, what powers does she have towards the situation?
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 3:53am On Sep 25, 2010
akwaowoudo:

Abeg, i need explanation on " . . . If she is a woman . . . As you portray, what powers does she have towards the situation?
Did you get bored and decided to quote me for argument purpose?

"If she's a woman" and "how old is she?" should be clues enough. How can her sisters be beating up an at-marriageable-aged woman for seeing a man? The worst they could do is talk to her harshly or disown her.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by tpiah: 4:29am On Sep 25, 2010
Example:
Babangida's kids have nothing to do with Igboland and I bet you they have no recognition of the land as part theirs.

quarter theirs you mean.

since their mum was half hausa.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by tpiah: 4:30am On Sep 25, 2010
Billsmith:

I fell in love with a Yoruba and my plans was to get mrried to her. The first day her dad saw her with me, she was beaten up and was forbidden from seeing me. Her elder sister saw her again with me and she was beaten up again mercilessly. Their reason was that, I am not from their tribe and they say nothing whenever they see her with a Yoruba boy.
    I really love her and feels jealous whenever I see her with other Yoruba boys talking. I have tried to put her off my mind but no way. She still love me as she said and I realy need to settle down soon. I love her but her people are now our obstacle. What do I do? I can't even put her off my mind. I need your advice .

this is definitely a gigantic lie.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by akwaowoudo(m): 4:41am On Sep 25, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Did you get bored and decided to quote me for argument purpose?

"If she's a woman" and "how old is she?" should be clues enough. How can her sisters be beating up an at-marriageable-aged woman for seeing a man? The worst they could do is talk to her harshly or disown her.
You've said nothing _ i still insist on "if she is a woman". Explain.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Omokemesi(m): 4:51am On Sep 25, 2010
I am enjoying and learning from your contributions, patriotic Nigerians. I believe other viewers are learning too. But is it not possible for a damsel to outrightly disregard the wish of her parents not to risk inter-tribal marriage? Any repercussion? Please, carry on, fellow Nigerians!
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by tpiah: 4:55am On Sep 25, 2010
the ekiti ibadan guy.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by johndavid1(m): 10:14am On Sep 25, 2010
tpiah:

this is definitely a gigantic lie.
you sure say na lie? because e fit happen oh grin grin grin
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 25, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I agree with you here. In fact. See what I posted earlier in this discussion.

. . . but, that all says little to nothing about our current societal views, which are. . . who your father is still matters. People can talk what they want, saying things like "in this day and age" or, "in the 21st century?", but whether or not they like, they will have to realize that ethnic/tribal sentiment/loyalty is a reality, and there's really nothing they can do about that.

That's the only point I'm trying to get across here.
Well as I said you can't just be generalising and saying things like "current societal views". That is just too vague. It mostly depends on the man himself and how courageous he is too stand up to his relatives and potential inlaws. Anyway this is not a new thing but in fact has always been happening since Nigeria came into existence. There is nothing new or revolutionary about it. After all people like IBB from Niger State had a long and sucessful marriage even though his wife was from  far distant Delta State. You are kidding yourself if you think inter-state marriage it is not widespread in Nigeria today.
To be fair though, a man whose profession takes him across the country is more likely to engage in this type of marriage compared to someone who has never left his home state.

1 Like

Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 25, 2010
Omokemesi:

I am enjoying and learning from your contributions, patriotic Nigerians. I believe other viewers are learning too. But is it not possible for a damsel to outrightly disregard the wish of her parents not to risk inter-tribal marriage? Any repercussion? Please, carry on, fellow Nigerians!
Again not every parent is prejudiced against people from outside their village. Some are very prejudiced. But it is up to the couple to stand up and persuade these kinds of parents to ditch their prejudices and unwise stereotypes.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by sleekch1c(f): 12:13pm On Sep 25, 2010
i think if u really want to be together,just pray about it and the inlaws will come around afterall,marriage involves only two partners and the families shld knw their place! grin

Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Tolulop001(f): 2:35pm On Sep 25, 2010
akwaowoudo:

Ambiguity _ . . . moving on with the girl or with another.
nope! moving on is moving on! to the next of course!

akwaowoudo:

'if she's a woman', as in she is not a young girll that should be beaten up anyhow

what is ur own with english self
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by PrinceBYC: 3:19pm On Sep 25, 2010
akwaowoudo:

This plain and simple!
My understanding of 'Woman' in her post was if the lady is above 24 at least

Do yu expect parent/guardian to be beating up a Lady of this age range for hanging out with a guy?
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 3:37pm On Sep 25, 2010
Really, tensor. . Generalizing? So is it no longer true that our society is one that asks "who is your father?"
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2010
PrinceBYC:

This plain and simple!
My understanding of 'Woman' in her post was if the lady is above 24 at least

Do yu expect parent/guardian to be beating up a Lady of this age range for hanging out with a guy?
Tolulop001:

nope! moving on is moving on! to the next of course!

'if she's a woman', as in she is not a young girll that should be beaten up anyhow

what is your own with english self

That's why I asked him if his purpose of quoting me was for an unnecessary argument.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 25, 2010
tensor777:

Again not every parent is prejudiced against people from outside their village. Some are very prejudiced. But it is up to the couple to stand up and persuade these kinds of parents to ditch their prejudices and unwise stereotypes.

Some parent would actually disown their own before they ditch their prejudices.

And I think most of their acions has to do with public criticism. "Se o moh iya iyabo, omo Igbo ni omo e lo gbe wa le. " grin

1 Like

Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by tpiah: 6:46pm On Sep 25, 2010
john david:

you sure say na lie? because e fit happen oh grin grin grin

its a mighty and boldfaced lie.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 25, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Really, tensor. . Generalizing? So is it no longer true that our society is one that asks "who is your father?"
As I have said before you have not yet come out and boldly stated YOUR OWN views on inter-state marriages. You keep on hiding behind what the "society" may say.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 25, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

And I think most of their acions has to do with public criticism. "Se o moh iya iyabo, omo Igbo ni omo e lo gbe wa le. " grin
Well you can't just come out with such a blanket statement. Maybe its their very prejudices that makes them take account of what other prejudiced people may say. Those that are liberal, by their very nature, would not really care about those types of caustic remarks.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by ezeagu(m): 9:12pm On Sep 25, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Can think of one advantage. undecided

Your children may be a bit less ignorant of other cultures.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by ChinenyeN(m): 9:17pm On Sep 25, 2010
I'm really confused as to what you're trying to get at, tensor. How am I 'hiding' behind truth? Also, my thoughts on the matter have already been expressed in this topic. Wait, I think I see the problem. We're here jumbling up two separate topics. Ethnic/Tribal Sentiment & [Dis]advantages of Inter-Tribal Marriage. Let me make things clearer for you then.

In terms of the [dis]advantages, inter-tribal marriages aren't much different from other marriages, if at all.
In terms of ethnic/tribal sentiment, those still run strong in our society. There's no denying that.

Ileke-IdI:

But the chances for all those disadvantages to occur is farrrrr greater than in intra-tribal marriages.

Just spend some time with both side of the family, inlaws etc, before getting married. Know who you're dealing with.
True @ the Italicized, but it still takes us back to the bolded. And it's because of the bolded that I stated the below.

ChinenyeN:
So now, it would have to be left to the parties involved to decide what [dis]advantages would apply to them and their situation.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 25, 2010
kcjazz:

Advantage 1) the kids will be good English speakers, since they will be neither here nor there grin

2) For the Igbo guy bride price is extremely low wink when we play away

Disadvantage
Uncomfortable during family reunions

Isn't it normal to feel uncomfortable with people you are just meeting for the first time? As you get to know each other over time, won't that uncomfy feeling disappear? Is that not how life is?

New food

What is particularly so new about Nigerian food? Rice, beans, garri, plantain, yam etc, don't we all eat them? If at all there are distinctions, is it not only soups?
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 11:39pm On Sep 25, 2010
ezeagu:

Your children may be a bit less ignorant of other cultures.
That can be done without marrying from other tribes. Immigration dey, internet dey, etc.

tensor777:

Well you can't just come out with such a blanket statement. Maybe its their very prejudices that makes them take account of what other prejudiced people may say. Those that are liberal, by their very nature, would not really care about those types of caustic remarks.
LOL True true.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Iyineda(m): 11:52pm On Sep 25, 2010
I am a result of an "inter-tribal" union. That alone overshines the negs. cool
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by sandee575(f): 11:54pm On Sep 25, 2010
There is a biological advantage in inter-tribal marriage.
Your off-springs have better chances of having superior genetics.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 11:58pm On Sep 25, 2010
sandee575:

There is a biological advantage in inter-tribal marriage.
Your off-springs have better chances of having superior genetics.
Oh dear!!! grin grin grin

Iyineda:

I am a result of an "inter-tribal" union. That alone overshines the negs. cool
What tribes would that be? Just curious

1 Like

Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by AloyEmeka5: 3:30am On Sep 26, 2010
tpiah:

quarter theirs you mean.

since their mum was half hausa.

Maryam Babangida was half hausa?. Maryam whose mother was interviewed during her funeral was half hausa?. If her mother is Igbo and her siblings are Igbo and their father was from Asaba, how was she half hausa?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig / Why I Married Moronke Naomi Silekunola - Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi / Open Letter To Wuraola Otiti, Ooni Ogunwusi’s New Queen By Zainab Lawani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.