Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,463 members, 7,808,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage (89259 Views)

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? / Inter-tribal Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by tpiah: 5:24am On Sep 26, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Maryam Babangida was half hausa?. Maryam whose mother was interviewed during her funeral was half hausa?. If her mother is Igbo and her siblings are Igbo and their father was from Asaba, how was she half hausa?

^^all you need to say is " oh, i didnt know that. Are you sure, because i saw her mother's interview and she was Igbo"
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by jchublue: 2:00pm On Sep 26, 2010
Some hilarious comments on here.

We need unity, whether we inter-marry or not.

Remember the crab in the bucket theory, the one that scrambles to get a better position on top of the others, usually is the first chosen for the cooking pot.

You should read this piece on "tribalism" in Nigeria - it is a satire, very tongue in cheek and had me lauging - http://woahnigeria./2010/09/17/you-must-love-me/

Lets unite pls
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 26, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Maryam Babangida was half hausa?. Maryam whose mother was interviewed during her funeral was half hausa?. If her mother is Igbo and her siblings are Igbo and their father was from Asaba, how was she half hausa?
Very good question. I have been scatching my head as to how Madam Tpia  came up with that one. undecided undecided
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 26, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I'm really confused as to what you're trying to get at, tensor. How am I 'hiding' behind truth? Also, my thoughts on the matter have already been expressed in this topic. Wait, I think I see the problem. We're here jumbling up two separate topics. Ethnic/Tribal Sentiment & [Dis]advantages of Inter-Tribal Marriage. Let me make things clearer for you then.
In terms of the [dis]advantages, inter-tribal marriages aren't much different from other marriages, if at all.
In terms of ethnic/tribal sentiment, those still run strong in our society. There's no denying that.
Well that certainly explains everything clearly and yes it makes a lot of sense to me.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by adaphik(f): 3:00pm On Sep 26, 2010
ok ooooo. Inter tribal marriages or not. Marriage is marriage. I agree its a major nigerian issue, even amongst d very well educated ones, but i believe as time goes on, it would no longer be an issue, Close

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Skmoda360(m): 3:28pm On Sep 26, 2010
adaphik:

ok ooooo. Inter tribal marriages or not. Marriage is marriage. I agree its a major nigerian issue, even amongst d very well educated ones, but i believe as time goes on, it would no longer be an issue, Close
yeah! Close,
cuz it's no longer an issue,it depends on each family perspective towards it.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Iyineda(m): 6:18pm On Sep 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

What tribes would that be? Just curious

Igbo + Yoruba, enter: Igboruba. cool
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by mercy307(m): 6:22pm On Sep 26, 2010
I don’t think that the minor hiccups such as language barriers, cultural differences and distance in some case are anything to be bothered about. I being an Ibo man have been happily married to a Yoruba woman from Kabba in Kogi State for 20 years now and I have no regrets.

1 Like

Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by AloyEmeka5: 6:45pm On Sep 26, 2010
tpiah:

^^all you need to say is " oh, i didnt know that. Are you sure, because i saw her mother's interview and she was Igbo"

Her mother is as igbo as she can get. She mentioned her full names and how she married Maryam's late father. It is very apparent that you copied Gadogado's assumption except that he claimed that Maryam's mother is the one who is igbo and not Maryam herself. Her other sister who lives at Aba also shed some light in their family history and how their mom is   related to Ngozi Okonjo Iweala making Maryam and Ngozi second cousins.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Nobody: 5:05am On Sep 27, 2010
Iyineda:

Igbo + Yoruba, enter: Igboruba. cool
Interesting, post a pix for me and let me see how the mixture of Igboruba [should be Yorugbo] looks.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Bloejoey(m): 8:32am On Sep 27, 2010
Im a Yoruba guy, thanks to NYSC, my girlfriend is Idoma, from Benue State and i want to marry her. Tribe or no Tribe! I mean, shes got all im looking for. Am i supposed to sacrifice a great future on the altar of tribal differences Thank God my dad is indifferent.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by hooklover: 8:59am On Sep 27, 2010
hello pls narry out of lov not out of tribe. cos its lov thatckeep d marriage. my cousin left lov for tribe to make dad happy 3yrs after its a divoce with 3issues. she regrets evey day her dad has also learnt that lov is stronger than tribe.he tell his children bring who u love cant nake this mistake again.

for guys that are convinced by parents to change mind when d babe has all u lokin for shows u not a man yet and u dont know whar u want. be bold about who u are and what u stand to represent cos thats what makes u a man.thats d beauty of education.
rwmember the world stand aside for those who know where they are going.best wishes for u all.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by chic2pimp(m): 2:26pm On Sep 27, 2010
Bloejoey:

Im a Yoruba guy, thanks to NYSC, my girlfriend is Idoma, from Benue State and i want to marry her. Tribe or no Tribe! I mean, shes got all im looking for. Am i supposed to sacrifice a great future on the altar of tribal differences Thank God my dad is indifferent.
#
Idoma Ladam!!!
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Iyineda(m): 5:16pm On Sep 27, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Interesting, post a pix for me and let me see how the mixture of Igboruba [should be Yorugbo] looks.

You first. grin

Btw, how do you post a PM? Still haven't figured that out. lipsrsealed
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Omokemesi(m): 5:25pm On Oct 04, 2010
Thank you fellow Nairalanders. I appreciate you all. From all indications, inter-tribal marriage has come to stay in Nigeria. It appears the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. But if I may ask, who benefits more from inter-tribal marriage - the wife or the husband?  Why?
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by OM3G5(m): 4:08pm On Oct 05, 2010
Reference:

Can someone from Leeds marry a person from Brighton, what about New-york and Boston, how about Marseille marrying a dude from Strasbourg, Milan V Palermo, Cologne and Munich and on and on. What is our problem.

To let you realize how stupi.d and un-alaytical you are - someone from Leeds and Brighton are still the same English race whose origin is still the same Anglo/Celtic/Briton. Someone from New-York and Boston are still the same American citizen whose folks originally migrated from continental Europe or slaves brought from Africa or wherever. Anyone from Marseille marrying someone from Strasbourg are still consanguineously the same Gaul and same for someone from Milan marrying a lady from Palermo because they are still the same Romans likewise a man from Cologne marrying a woman from Munich they are the same Germans/Goths. So what the be intimate with is your point? Can't you see that those whites examples you presented are of the same race, rarely can you even see a Scandinavian marrying someone from Istanbul, why? because of the differences in their races, custom and beliefs, despite their Caucasian features. But here in Nigeria, ibo man and Yoruba man dey cohabit for millions of years before oyinbo man carry their wahala come, and since the amalgamation mistake has been done this inter-tribal and intra-tribal issues will continue to exist. All I can contribute is - if anyone chose to marry out of his/her tribe/race then both parties should just learn to love and respect their differences provided their is true love.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Bucacious: 11:12am On May 11, 2013
Am I late to comment on this post? Its happenning right now in my home. I never believed this would be happenin! Am yoruba married to an igbo guy. Honestly, I av played every role i tot ok to make the marriage wok but now I dunno. D issue is, we av a yoruba househelp whom I speak yoruba to. The issue is my husband has said severally of how much he hates my language so he forbids me to speak yoruba to our maid claiming he wants the girl to speak better english! What a big lie! 2 of his sibs stay with us and they all speak english to this girl. How is it that its my own yoruba now that wouldn't make the girl speak better english. I wish I cud see into the future while marrying this guy! I gave up my tribal food and only make igbo meals coz I do that perfectly. Yet he isn't satisfied. Honestly, I wish I cud turn bak the hand of time coz I had lots of yoruba suitors but I soo loved this guy that I insisted it must be him.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by dasparrow: 1:44pm On May 11, 2013
Bucacious: Am I late to comment on this post? Its happenning right now in my home. I never believed this would be happenin! Am yoruba married to an igbo guy. Honestly, I av played every role i tot ok to make the marriage wok but now I dunno. D issue is, we av a yoruba househelp whom I speak yoruba to. The issue is my husband has said severally of how much he hates my language so he forbids me to speak yoruba to our maid claiming he wants the girl to speak better english! What a big lie! 2 of his sibs stay with us and they all speak english to this girl. How is it that its my own yoruba now that wouldn't make the girl speak better english. I wish I cud see into the future while marrying this guy! I gave up my tribal food and only make igbo meals coz I do that perfectly. Yet he isn't satisfied. Honestly, I wish I cud turn bak the hand of time coz I had lots of yoruba suitors but I soo loved this guy that I insisted it must be him.

Sorry to hear of your plight. If your husband hates the yoruba language, why did he marry a yoruba lady then? Makes no sense at all. I hope he changes for the better.

1 Like

Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by tpiadotcom: 12:09pm On May 07, 2015
ezeagu:
. . . .two people marrying doesn't unite two massive "tribes", and if you mean by mass marriage, then it still doesn't do much. What does is if the children of that couple form a whole new unique ethnic group out of both their mothers ethnic group and fathers. This does not happen and the mothers ethnic group is considered to have no relation to the child who has a father from another ethnic group. There's a lot of instances where the partners themselves still have bad perceptions about the other partners ethnic group.

Example:
Babangida's kids have nothing to do with Igboland and I bet you they have no recognition of the land as part theirs.

I've seen fathers angry when their children wear their mothers ethnic wear. Call me back when a Yoruba man allows his children to attend an event with okpu okonoko and ishi agu.

Babangida's wife was half hausa though.
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by omoharry(f): 1:57pm On Jul 22, 2016
Anyman that is thinking of marrying into another tribe should be open minded enough to respect and appreciate the culture and lanhuage of that tribe..I am from the naija delta and i schooled in Yoruba land..i now appreciate and understand thier culture as compared to when i was still in my region.. I dont knoo why some one will marry into another culture they cannot appreciate and respect
Re: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage by JERRY1925(m): 10:16pm On Dec 14, 2019
Billsmith:
I fell in love with a Yoruba and my plans was to get mrried to her. The first day her dad saw her with me, she was beaten up and was forbidden from seeing me. Her elder sister saw her again with me and she was beaten up again mercilessly. Their reason was that, I am not from their tribe and they say nothing whenever they see her with a Yoruba boy.
I really love her and feels jealous whenever I see her with other Yoruba boys talking. I have tried to put her off my mind but no way. She still love me as she said and I realy need to settle down soon. I love her but her people are now our obstacle. What do I do? I can't even put her off my mind. I need your advice .

How did this end.. Am curious
Because am in same shoe.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig / Why I Married Moronke Naomi Silekunola - Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi / Open Letter To Wuraola Otiti, Ooni Ogunwusi’s New Queen By Zainab Lawani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.