Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,510 members, 7,808,865 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks (19067 Views)

Aminat Yusuf: LASU Best Student Takes Her Parents To Governor Sanwo-Olu (Video) / Truth Or Dare: Mother Of Julian, 10-Year-Old Chrisland Gang-Raped Student Speaks / Ridwan Ola-Gbadamosi & Karen Nneka Enumah, LASU Best Graduating Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by LazyGold(m): 8:10pm On May 18, 2019
LAGOS—best graduating student at the faculty of Engineering, Lagos State University, in the 2017/18 academic year, Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, yesterday, told a courageous story of how he had to do menial jobs to educate himself.

Oladotun, at the 23rd convocation ceremony of LASU in Ojo campus, held the audience spell bound with his story of breeding chickens before attending classes just to gather enough money for books and school fees.

The 22-year old Mechanical Engineering graduate, who made a cumulative grade point average, CGPA of 4.88 to emerge overall best graduating student, said in his valedictory speech that he was determined to succeed and therefore did not mind what he had to go through.

Oladotun, who disclosed that he lost his mother at age 12, expressed happiness that his achievement has wiped off all his hardship in school.

His words: “Precisely, I attended Federal Government College, Ijanikin in Lagos where I finished as the best graduating student in 2013. My flair for Physics and Mathematics was at its peak, driven by my inquisitiveness to unravel what was behind the functioning mechanisms of structures and systems. I found for myself, an academic niche in my area of strength and interest. Hence, I decided to study Mechanical Engineering. With God’s guidance, this is how far my zeal has brought me.

“Worth mentioning is that tuition of LASU Engineering students as at 2013 (N284,750) was a big task, considering that two of my younger siblings were getting ready for tertiary education and my dedicated father had the onerous responsibility to shoulder our financial requirements. Meanwhile, my late mother, Mrs. Aishat Adejoke Ola-Gbadamosi died while I was 12 years old.”

Poultry farming

“Eventually, my father was able to pay the full tuition, while I had to take charge of other associated obligations. In order to assist him financially, I decided to invest the cash prize I received at my secondary school Speech and Prize Giving Day in the production of 150 broilers which I successfully raised from day old chicks till maturity during the 2013 ASUU strike. I remember using bandage to wrap their broken talons and straws to administer drugs on one of the birds not because I cared about its health but because I was determined to succeed. The return on the investment was used to cater for my personal and academic needs.”

While thanking those who played significant role in his life, he said: “My story is that of zeal, passion, inquisitiveness and sheer determination. It typifies passion for success, a recipe in every degree award recipient in this hall that I have been chosen to represent today.”

In his speech, Vice Chancellor of LASU, Professor Olanrewaju Fagboun said this year’s ceremony was unique as 57 graduated in first class.

www.vanguardngr.com/2019/05/i-did-menial-jobs-to-pay-school-fees-oladotun-lasu-best-graduating-student

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by Elemosho478: 8:40pm On May 18, 2019
Hardwork pays, nice one

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by money121(m): 10:07pm On May 18, 2019
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 18, 2019

10 Likes

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by PennywysCares(m): 10:08pm On May 18, 2019
good
Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 18, 2019
Grit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by Offpoint: 10:08pm On May 18, 2019
I once sold weed to sponsored my...

7 Likes

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by sou1p1an0(m): 10:09pm On May 18, 2019
What abt the girl from mathematics dept that had 5.0gp?

1 Like

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by jojothaiv(m): 10:10pm On May 18, 2019
Interesting...
Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by lopezoraclenet(m): 10:11pm On May 18, 2019
More grace to exploit greater achievements
Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by Snow02: 10:11pm On May 18, 2019
lipsrsealed
Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by illiteratepmb: 10:12pm On May 18, 2019
Goan sit one side abeg.

1 Like

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by Trickstreat: 10:12pm On May 18, 2019
Kudos to you.

Some people even after all the suffer of hustling to pay fees didn't make it out successfully

There is this relishing satisfaction of "I did my best and it's worth it cheesy that comes with success after going through the milestone

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by VIPERVENOM(m): 10:12pm On May 18, 2019
Every best graduating student has a lie story to tell

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by tomdon(m): 10:12pm On May 18, 2019
NOT a new thing
congrats on the achievement
Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by Nobody: 10:14pm On May 18, 2019
Nice one. He isn't a lazy boy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by crazyABO(m): 10:14pm On May 18, 2019
Must all best graduating student have the same story line

10 Likes

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by SoftP(m): 10:15pm On May 18, 2019
U even carry concrete, pack waste,

See ur head like sardine

7 Likes

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by grandstar(m): 10:15pm On May 18, 2019
Congrats. Now try and get a scholarship for your Masters in Canada

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by thesicilian: 10:16pm On May 18, 2019
We all have our grass to grace stories.

1 Like

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by enshi(m): 10:16pm On May 18, 2019
Pictures or you just keep it to your self ...

1 Like

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by ednut1(m): 10:17pm On May 18, 2019
Lies. But it will give him scholarship to usa or canada. Carry go
Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by gaskiyamagana: 10:17pm On May 18, 2019
BuhariIsBURIED:
Nice one, common standard six Buhari did not write but he is ruling Nigeria.. shame!
When are you going to finish or tire of dis story?
Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by manomam: 10:17pm On May 18, 2019
Tolerance Becoming Crime *************** ************* By Dr Chinedu Akabuike 1. Why do we hate Tinubu? What for? 2. Tinubu never worked with federal or Eastern Nigeria let alone stealing money from Ndi Igbo. He never worked as Minister or taken any Federal Appointment! 3. He never joined APGA let alone sabotaging our Party's interest? 4. Tinubu didn't meddle in Igbo internal affairs either! 5. Why do we call him thief? What did he steal? 6. We call Yoruba "slaves". We never reflect on what it means to be slaves in the true sense of the word. 7. We are putting mouth in Lagos politics without caution, yet we have a proverb that says it is the foolish housefly that follows the corpse into the grave. 8. Can Yoruba man become an Association or Local Government Chairman in the East? Let us be sincere with ourselves. Yet we enjoy all these privileges here including Assembly Membership! 9. Why asking for what we can't give? 10. We are here helping the "slaves" to develop their land. Who then is a slave? 10b. You call their city a no man's land so that we can further be enslaved slaving to develop it, and our generations are wasted gloating over mere privileges. Who is a slave. Do we actually think? 11. Can Yoruba tell Okorocha "o to gee" in Owerri? He doesn't even need it. He is too intelligent to die for a pot of ofe manu or nothing. 12. After the civil war, for many of us who were old enough to have witnessed it, the Yoruba were the first to open their arms to receive and accept us as we were, crude savages in search for means of survival. It was regardless of what we equally did to them before and during the civil war. No party to the civil war was innocent! I also remember not paying any rent among Yoruba guys without a penny for my first 3years in Lagos and another 2 years in Ibadan. 13. Can we survive Yoruba attack in Yoruba land if they actually mean to? Will an Mbaise man cooperate with the Nsukka or Afikpo, or the Imo with Anambara? 14. If we all decide to relocate at once, Babangida send me home phenomena is still in the memory of some of us who survived the incessant and uncontrollable spate of robbery across the Onitsha bridge. How many people will want to go in spide of our empty pride? 15. If Yoruba people are as foolish as we foolishly think, why agitating? How will agitating be to our benefit? 16. Why not "O to gee" in Abia, Enugu or Owerri? 17. Can a man from Aba become a Commissioner or P.S. in Enugu State Civil Service? Yet it happened here! Why not be careful. 18. We adopted APGA and but "wisely" voted PDP. How was Tinubu our headache. Was he the cause of our downfall? Why always blame others for our inabilities and want to take glory for any small thing we think we have done well and even overblow it? 19. We claim we were so creative during the civil war. Now history. We also claim every made in Nigeria is from Aba. But go to Oyo and Oshogbo to see what "lazy" mechanics are doing quietly in the automobile industry, yet we make noise that other ethnics are either mumu or lazy except we (alagbara ma mero baba ole; the most hardworking humans who cannot develop their own land unfortunately). 20. Why looking for avoidable problem? Why? 21. It was you in the North being attacked, in Malaysia being killed, in Gabon and Ghana being molested. 99.9% of Nigerians killed in South Africa are of Igbo extraction, and sometimes by fellow 'hardworking' Igbo. Why? 22. We choose Kanu and he dictates to us without consultation with any one of us. They choose Tinubu who becomes a hero among them by bowing to or adopting the choice of their majority. Why are we angry? We choose Azikwe and they choose Awolowo. How are they more mumuish followers than ourselves? Zik became a president and we gained from it, Awo was only a premier, but we are only struggling to beat their records in all ramifications including education till today. How are they mumus? We choose APGA and they choose APC, why agitating? Yoruba are yet to say Tinubu is their problem why do we want to die for nothing? Why working in APGA but planning to collect salaries in APC? I pray for the success of Biafra, but do we still remember that as Igbo we will automatically become foreigners on the streets of the Lagos we call a no Man's land? How many of us will actually want to relocate home, should Biafra actualises or if if citizenship is on the condition that you relinquish all other citizenship in Africa? I leave that answer to the individual. Nwayo nwayo biko unu.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by legibow: 10:19pm On May 18, 2019
it is not only u jare, even some of us did... so don't start stressing it like , it's a big deal
Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by louken(m): 10:24pm On May 18, 2019
Offpoint:
I once sold weed to sponsored my...
to sponsor your madness

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by Bobbybrwon(m): 10:31pm On May 18, 2019
sou1p1an0:

No gal had 5.0gp

3 Likes

Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by Mosb(m): 10:53pm On May 18, 2019
sou1p1an0:

4.88 but I think he passed her to one decimal there ish ish ish
Re: Ola-Gbadamosi Ridwan Oladotun, LASU Best Graduating Student Speaks by seguno2: 10:55pm On May 18, 2019
illiteratepmb:
Goan sit one side abeg.

Who did this to you
Meanwhile good news to inspire Buhari’s lazy youths who are waiting for others to keep their toilets and campus clean instead of organising themselves and getting paid by the school authorities to do the job. Something that students in rich America do routinely.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

LAUTECH: The Best University Indeed / UNIBEN Students Protest Along Benin-Lagos Expressway Over Poor Management (Photo / Laspotech School Fees 2018/2019 And Laspotech Acceptance Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.