Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,527 members, 7,808,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (965168 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:28pm On Sep 25, 2013
Eyop: My brother, i quite agree with you and is not as if you cannot see the vehicle with that budgeted amount but the question that you should ask yourself is what will be the condition of the vehicle (W203) you are buying? My own version of a clean ride will be different from another person's own. A certified clean ride is one that both the interior,exterior,mechanical,electrical etc will not require you to do anything and the mileage will be very reasonable. I have a friend that went to Togo to purchase a 1997 Mercedes C200 which landed Lagos Nigeria for #1,150,000 and the vehicle was super in all aspect because it was buy and drive.

You can even go online(some of the German used car websites) to find out the cost of some of these cars(a very clean one that has a good service history and will not require any further repairs) from there you can be able to know if your budget is realistic or not. In cotonou a very clean one will not land Lagos at that amount because the Lebanese selling cars will also want to make money from their sales and they won't invest so much money in a certified clean one to enable them sell very fast.

If for W202 then i am very sure that you will get a good one that is clean in and out but for a W203,i doubt if you can achieve that but all that depends on the individual buying anyway cos your own version of clean may not be clean to me. Mercedes Benz is not like a Toyota or any other Japanese that you can gamble with in terms of the mechanical and electrical features so my advice is get certified clean ride that your budgeted amount can carry. Good luck...

I'm baffled myself, because i use to know the price of these cars to be on the high side few years ago, not untill i called a dealership here in nairaland based in Lag(whom i wouldn't want to disclose name here) and he confirmed the 1.2 mill Bench mark, although we didn't make the purchase again due to several factors that came up. But what really informed my opinion was that of this friend who bought his and brought to my office to celebrate with me. I know what is a clean car i'm not new to it, and i know when a car is made clean, i can distinguish between repainted vehicles and follow come, but what further baffles me was that of a friend too who landed e36 bmw 318 for 320k as overall cost from Cotonou for his personal use, he is a dealer too. He further confirm that he could land w203 c200k for me at 1.2m mark price too. This is my puzzle, he knock off all my points that these cars are expensive; according to him that no body even wanted to buy them overthere, that Nigerians went for toyota, especially camry 98/99 model and the highlanders even when i pointed prices in some popular site of the autoworld to him. He disclosed that to be a waste of time and money for what could be found here at far less price so i rested my arguement afterall i am not a dealer...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Austyn44(m): 10:04pm On Sep 25, 2013
Tnx a lot Guys am really learning a lot from the replies am getting. Pls Wat's d difference btw a w202 n a w203. Wch is better economy wise?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 10:05pm On Sep 25, 2013
Yeah i understand brother. I am a regular person too in Cotonou so i can still tell you that these vehicles are expensive. I am not going to argue on the issue of getting it at that amount because it all depends on the seller over there. Take for instance if that W203 has stayed for so long without a customer coming for it in Cotonou and the white man there has some consignment at the port,he may decide to fling that ride to enable him get some money to enable him clear his goods because it's a smart move as a business person rather than for him to incur charges.

I was in Cotonou some months ago and the same thing happened when my agent alerted me that there's a Benz that a Lebanese wants to sell at a very cheap price but unfortunately that wasn't the brand i was going for so that didn't scale through for me so it doesn't mean that it happens all the time.

But also bear in mind that these cars are gotten from either USA or Europe and we all know the prices online via various websites so for someone to tell you that he can get you a W203 version of Benz for #1.2million can most times raise red flag except for reasons like i mentioned above.
au.hanson:

I'm baffled myself, because i use to know the price of these cars to be on the high side few years ago, not untill i called a dealership here in nairaland based in Lag(whom i wouldn't want to disclose name here) and he confirmed the 1.2 mill Bench mark, although we didn't make the purchase again due to several factors that came up. But what really informed my opinion was that of this friend who bought his and brought to my office to celebrate with me. I know what is a clean car i'm not new to it, and i know when a car is made clean, i can distinguish between repainted vehicles and follow come, but what further baffles me was that of a friend too who landed e36 bmw 318 for 320k as overall cost from Cotonou for his personal use, he is a dealer too. He further confirm that he could land w203 c200k for me at 1.2m mark price too. This is my puzzle, he knock off all my points that these cars are expensive; according to him that no body even wanted to buy them overthere, that Nigerians went for toyota, especially camry 98/99 model and the highlanders even when i pointed prices in some popular site of the autoworld to him. He disclosed that to be a waste of time and money for what could be found here at far less price so i rested my arguement afterall i am not a dealer...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 10:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
au.hanson:

One auto dealer on this NL was sounding a warning that if som1 approach u with a 2010 range rover sports for #2.5mil, run away quickly cos somthing is fishy. Even if its all clean and engine sound it may be s stolen car. Truth be told if u put a C200k(#1.2mil) side by side a C200k(#2mil) ur eyes will tell u the truth even if ur ears dnt want to hear it.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 25, 2013
cheesy

Gee2728:
One auto dealer on this NL was sounding a warning that if som1 approach u with a 2010 range rover sports for #2.5mil, run away quickly cos somthing is fishy. Even if its all clean and engine sound it may be s stolen car. Truth be told if u put a C200k(#1.2mil) side by side a C200k(#2mil) ur eyes will tell u the truth even if ur ears dnt want to hear it.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 10:18pm On Sep 25, 2013
Exactly but the problem is that due to greed some people will still fall for that. Take for instance if someone should tell you that he can get you a 2008 C300 with a mileage less than 100K at #2.5million which we know that the vehicle sells for about #5million or more for a good one,will you believe such a person?
Gee2728:
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 25, 2013
guys not greed....but am not advocating for any car beyond 2003! w202/203 9ja used at 1.2mil sounds crazy unless it was bought brand new!

And Eyop nothing is impossible!

Eyop: Exactly but the problem is that due to greed some people will still fall for that. Take for instance if someone should tell you that he can get you a 2008 C300 with a mileage less than 100K at #2.5million which we know that the vehicle sells for about #5million or more for a good one,will you believe such a person?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:31pm On Sep 25, 2013
Eyop: Yeah i understand brother. I am a regular person too in Cotonou so i can still tell you that these vehicles are expensive. I am not going to argue on the issue of getting it at that amount because it all depends on the seller over there. Take for instance if that W203 has stayed for so long without a customer coming for it in Cotonou and the white man there has some consignment at the port,he may decide to fling that ride to enable him get some money to enable him clear his goods because it's a smart move as a business person rather than for him to incur charges.

I was in Cotonou some months ago and the same thing happened when my agent alerted me that there's a Benz that a Lebanese wants to sell at a very cheap price but unfortunately that wasn't the brand i was going for so that didn't scale through for me so it doesn't mean that it happens all the time.

But also bear in mind that these cars are gotten from either USA or Europe and we all know the prices online via various websites so for someone to tell you that he can get you a W203 version of Benz for #1.2million can most times raise red flag except for reasons like i mentioned above.

Thanks for the clearance, i guess this is likely it. I haven't been to Cotonou before to purchase a car, neither dreaming of it

Gee2728:

@ Gee, these men are men of integrity, wouldn't go into anything of such. I want to believe they have their own tricks , evry biz has a trick too
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 5:45am On Sep 26, 2013
Fuel consumption data across the cars and wannabe. tongue
So what the hype cheesy
C180
and
C200

C280 also representing.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 6:54am On Sep 26, 2013
Gee2728:
It wld be easy for the house to help u if u cld post some pictures.

Thank you all. Honestly I doubted the possibility of getting W203 180k at the stated price (1M). It was a friend of mine (female) who called me that her friend whose uncle is in US send a c-class 180 2003 model and she has negotiated the price on my behalf. I was like oh! 1M clean title 2003 180k for 1Milla!

Three things were on my mind;

1. May be there was a kind of mixed up and misinformation about the car's year and model

2. The car has some serious mechanical and electrical issues or it was not clean tile afterall

3. It is a stolen vehicle

I got the guy's number and we spoke at length. He insisted I travelled down to his place for inspection but I declined insisting that I need to have some pictures before committing my time and resource to traveling. Lo and behold, I got the pics yesterday and the supposed 2003 mercedes benz c180 kompressor was actually a 1997/98 mercedes benz c230T. I was furious but not disappointed since I was actually cautious and on guild right from the onset.
I simply tell the guy that if he gets to sell it more than 750k he needs to give praises to God that nobody would buy that for 1milla. He was just looking at me like a fowl. cheesy

So that is my story.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 7:09am On Sep 26, 2013
Well thank God that you were not so desperate about the propose transaction from the onset all because of the cheap price. According to your message you stated that your friend mentioned that the car was 2003 C180 sent from the USA which from that time you would have already concluded your facts because there's no C180 trim in the USA may be in Europe.

Also the seller can get a buyer for that ride for #1million or more if it has a clear title and very clean because like i mentioned in my previous post that someone i know bought that same year in Togo for #1,150,000. Except the seller's own isn't clean then you can say that because even in Cotonou i doubt if you can get a very clean one (Customs duty inclusive) for that #750k.
ziccoit:

Thank you all. Honestly I doubted the possibility of getting W203 180k at the stated price (1M). It was a friend of mine (female) who called me that her friend whose uncle is in US send a c-class 180 2003 model and she has negotiated the price on my behalf. I was like oh! 1M clean title 2003 180k for 1Milla!

1. May be there was a kind of mixed up and misinformation about the car's year and model

2. The car has some serious mechanical and electrical issues or it was not clean tile afterall

I got the guy's number and we spoke at length. He insisted I travelled down to his place for inspection but I declined insisting that I need to have some pictures before committing my time and resource to traveling. Lo and behold, I got the pics yesterday and the supposed 2003 mercedes benz c180 kompressor was actually a 1997/98 mercedes benz c230T. I was furious but not disappointed since I was actually cautious and on guild right from the onset.
I simply tell the guy that if he gets to sell it more than 750k he needs to give praises to God that nobody would buy that for 1milla. He was just looking at me like a fowl. cheesy

So that is my story.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Terseer(m): 8:15am On Sep 26, 2013
I'm abt to choose 1999 mercedes c280 as a first time user of benz. Pls I need expert advice from this thread abt issues, pros and cons of the car. I'm all ears...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 8:44am On Sep 26, 2013
Eyop: Well thank God that you were not so desperate about the propose transaction from the onset all because of the cheap price. According to your message you stated that your friend mentioned that the car was 2003 C180 sent from the USA which from that time you would have already concluded your facts because there's no C180 trim in the USA may be in Europe.

Also the seller can get a buyer for that ride for #1million or more if it has a clear title and very clean because like i mentioned in my previous post that someone i know bought that same year in Togo for #1,150,000. Except the seller's own isn't clean then you can say that because even in Cotonou i doubt if you can get a very clean one (Customs duty inclusive) for that #750k.

Yes. 2003 180K gave it away then I was rationalizing it perhaps the man could have got it to Nigeria accross Europe.

I'm afraid what I saw in those pics couldn't be a clean title o.

I am not surprised a clean title facelift W202 can go as high as you stated. W202 is believed as the last engineered MB. So many people are after the model.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:05am On Sep 26, 2013
ziccoit:

So that is my story.
In the north there's a saying 'water no dey sour for nothing, there most be a reason'. Thank God u have not sent him any money.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:12am On Sep 26, 2013
ziccoit:

Yes. 2003 180K gave it away then I was rationalizing it perhaps the man could have got it to Nigeria accross Europe.

I'm afraid what I saw in those pics couldn't be a clean title o.

I am not surprised a clean title facelift W202 can go as high as you stated. W202 is believed as the last engineered MB. So many people are after the model.
'As the last engineered MB' I agree with you, the seat in my 2000 W202 are without a crack like they came out of the factory last month. That car is built rly tough. Have seen a W204 that the leather on the door handle has started tearing, MB tech of late is mainly profit driven.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 9:34am On Sep 26, 2013
ziccoit:

Good for your ride!

BTW, kindly let us in on the cost of the various parts you purchased. This will go a long way in changing the wrongful impression that "all MB are expensive to maintain compare to japies" school of thoughts.

Thanks.

Thanks Man,
Truth is if you have a Mechanic you trust he can assist in geting parts cos if you walk into a shop and just ask for something, no matter how cheap its supposed to be (be it Bosch or any other brand) they will always want to make money off you.
I lost a traficator and asked for the price and the last bargain I got for a traficator (not Bosch) was N2,500 for the "white" one, so I decided to buy it when I was ready to replace those bulbs I was missing...
On the "grin" day the Electrician suggested I bought 2 so that they will look the same as one. Would b new and the other old. I told him I didnt have N5,000 to spend for the 2, he just laughed and placed a call and this trafficator (a pair) was brought and he paid the person ... Wait for it... N900 each. shocked

If you are patronising the after market (toks) same thing applies get someone who can help you make the purchases without leaving a hole in your pocket...

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:34am On Sep 26, 2013
Gee2728:
'As the last engineered MB' I agree with you, the seat in my 2000 W202 are without a crack like they came out of the factory last month. That car is built rly tough. Have seen a W204 that the leather on the door handle has started tearing, MB tech of late is mainly profit driven.

Even the w202 has a wider turning radius than the w203, 2.6m as against 2.7m, though the w203 has a sharper appealing chassis unlike her w202 predecessor. The speeds are almost the same in both cases

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 10:00am On Sep 26, 2013
Earlier in the year I got this fuel pump relay for N1,800

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 11:08am On Sep 26, 2013
I got this W202 Water pump from the after market to replace mine which was leaking for N3,000...

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 11:33am On Sep 26, 2013
I wanted to change my W202 fuel filter and this was brought after the mech placed a call... I took a pic of it but when he came out from under the car he rejected this and said they should bring one that has a certain number on it. When that one was brought it was looking exactly like this one buh he claimed there is a difference. undecided

Both sell for N2,000 anyways...
These purchases where made from Apo Mechanic Village, Abuja.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ikenna351(m): 11:51am On Sep 26, 2013
aikerism: I wanted to change my W202 fuel filter and this was brought after the mech placed a call... I took a pic of it but when he came out from under the car he rejected this and said they should bring one that has a certain number on it. When that one was brought it was looking exactly like this one buh he claimed there is a difference. undecided

My Baby uses the same filter. Last time I replaced mine, I bought it, I think, N800 or 1k from the same APO, MB line, beside France line. Though, a different brand. So, either i bought a fake one or you were cheated. Lol!

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by danadam(m): 12:42pm On Sep 26, 2013
smartchoice: I need to know more about the E430! If you don't mind...

The E430 is a 270 hp V8 ride. mine was a 2000 (millennium model) purchased as naija used. Cost of maintenance is pretty okay. I changed the water pump for #15000 at apo mechanic village, used shocks/struts for #8000, repaired the sagging roof liner for #10000 etc. the fuel consumption is also quite okay for a V8. Can't remember the figures but I have em posted on siena's fuel consumption thread. A family friend crashed the car and I had to replace the front bumper for #70000. If I was rich enough, I would have gotten myself a tokumbo of same specification. what I loved most bout the ride is the engine. Mercedes didn't lie with the 270 hp figure. You need to have a feel of it on the highway, that machine is damn fast. Had to let it go wen I got tired of naija used Cars. My 1st car - naija used 1990 Toyota corolla
2nd - naija used 1996 golf MKIII
3rd - naija used 2000 E430

I needed a more compact car, not mo than 9 yrs old model, must be a German machine. The W203 won my heart so I got myself a sweet tokumbo facelift C320 4matic.

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 2:57pm On Sep 26, 2013
^^^impressed.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 26, 2013
have you ever checked gudu markt?

aikerism: I wanted to change my W202 fuel filter and this was brought after the mech placed a call... I took a pic of it but when he came out from under the car he rejected this and said they should bring one that has a certain number on it. When that one was brought it was looking exactly like this one buh he claimed there is a difference. undecided

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 4:00pm On Sep 26, 2013
smartchoice: have you ever checked gudu markt?

Uncle Smartchoice,
I have not checked there for MB parts before... Have you? I just felt I would have a wider market to choose from @ Apo...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 26, 2013
Apo is wide true but there are two main dealers in Gudu markt...I bought the same fuel pump relay and fuel pump from there in January after patrolling Apo mech villa without satisfaction. I still call from time to time to get a fair price of commodities.

aikerism:

Uncle Smartchoice,
I have not checked there for MB parts before... Have you? I just felt I would have a wider market to choose from @ Apo...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by matson: 8:05pm On Sep 26, 2013
smartchoice: Apo is wide true but there are two main dealers in Gudu markt...I bought the same fuel pump relay and fuel pump from there in January after patrolling Apo mech villa without satisfaction. I still call from time to time to get a fair price of commodities.

You are right. I have patronized both guys at Gudu and you will definitely get good parts from them. Cant remember the name of the last dealer I bought headlamps from, he is a light-skinned soft-spoken guy in Gudu. And he seems really professional with fair price. I might be wrong but think they sell only new items.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 26, 2013
yes you are right they only sell new items...which one may think are not in the markt and @ fair prices!

matson:

You are right. I have patronized both guys at Gudu and you will definitely get good parts from them. Cant remember the name of the last dealer I bought headlamps from, he is a light-skinned soft-spoken guy in Gudu. And he seems really professional with fair price. I might be wrong but think they sell only new items.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by xerotop(m): 5:32pm On Sep 27, 2013
Eyop: Exactly but the problem is that due to greed some people will still fall for that. Take for instance if someone should tell you that he can get you a 2008 C300 with a mileage less than 100K at #2.5million which we know that the vehicle sells for about #5million or more for a good one,will you believe such a person?

Pls Stop decieving people. Greed is d major problem with most car dealers.
How can a 2008 c300 cost over 5m? All dis dealers and greed.
I bought my 2009 c350 for $15000 and shipping cost with all expenses is about $1500. I have called some clearing agents on nairaland here and i have been told to budget about 700k naira.
Pls do the calculatn.
Thats a c350,2009. So how on earth will 2008 c300 cost 5m.
The problem wit most dealers is putting all there lifes pronlem on selling jst one car

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 6:28pm On Sep 27, 2013
Sir i am not deceiving anyone, I am not a car dealer and i can attest to the fact that the car sells up to that amount or a little bit less than that here in Lagos Nigeria depending on certain factors(mileage inclusive). If you personal handle you car purchase yourself,you will for sure get it cheap because you have varieties of search to make and your motive is not for profit making. By my calculation with the price you posted here,yours will land your door step at-least #3.5million. you can visit some of the Nairaland car dealer websites and confirm that for yourself.

In USA the lower the mileage,the higher the price and the higher the mileage the lower the price that's why i mentioned certain factors and myself i take mileage to be an important factor in purchasing a car apart from the maintenance history and the title.

Example: A 2008 C300 Benz with mileage of 105,000 and the one of 28,000 will never land at the same price.

There was a time Fletcher Jones company in the United States advertised a 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor with mileage less than 40,000 for sale and the price was $15,000 and when i contacted them they told me that the last price for it is $14,500.

May be the price has been reviewed recently which i would have posted some of the dealership website for you to confirm what am saying but it's not proper and also not my business to do so. So if a particular dealership price is higher and you feel you can get it cheaper else where and you are satisfied with it,you can proceed. So that's the point i am making.
xerotop:

Pls Stop decieving people. Greed is d major problem with most car dealers.
How can a 2008 c300 cost over 5m? All dis dealers and greed.
I bought my 2009 c350 for $15000 and shipping cost with all expenses is about $1500. I have called some clearing agents on nairaland here and i have been told to budget about 700k naira.
Pls do the calculatn.
Thats a c350,2009. So how on earth will 2008 c300 cost 5m.
The problem wit most dealers is putting all there lifes pronlem on selling jst one car
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by xerotop(m): 9:01pm On Sep 27, 2013
@ eyop
Am so sorry if am a bit harsh sir,jst disturbed d way our dealers make things difficult for car buyers. At times when i look @ cars prices on d auto section, it gives me goose pimples. Someone planning to make over 2million on d sale of 1 car? Haba. Greed of d highest order.
Pls accept my appologies never meant to be harsh on u sir.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 9:24pm On Sep 27, 2013
Hello sir, Apologies accepted wink even though i never took that personal because i quite understand your reaction because of the way some car dealers in Nigeria place their prices which i concur to that. I even visited the website of of Ebay which happens to be a very popular website to check some advertised 2009 Mercedes C300 and that confirms that it's very possible to get it at that price you mentioned.

Well if one has good contact in the USA that can handle pick up and shipping,then clearing wouldn't be a problem because to me i don't really see the big deal in pre-ordering a car from the United States as far as you are dealing directly with the company and not a private seller(except there's someone to meet with the person face to face)
xerotop: @ eyop
Am so sorry if am a bit harsh sir,jst disturbed d way our dealers make things difficult for car buyers. At times when i look @ cars prices on d auto section, it gives me goose pimples. Someone planning to make over 2million on d sale of 1 car? Haba. Greed of d highest order.
Pls accept my appologies never meant to be harsh on u sir.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.