Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (965113 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 10, 2013
your VIN!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jahjehova(m): 1:40pm On Nov 10, 2013
smartchoice: post your vin.

WDB2020221F401919
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 10, 2013
@Jahjehovah your car is a 1996 model as shown below.

Main data
Parametr Value
Ident. number (FIN) WDB2020221F401919
Baumuster 202022
Sales name C220
Permanent link http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check?su=uj5kcl5n
Order number 0 6 220 50092
Delivery date 1996-03-13
PAINT1 744
Interior color 041A
Engine 111961 12 102497
Front axle 2 BE2010T1256439123212
Gearbox 722423 03 976895
Lights units VALEO
Wipers SWF
Retarder 1 960313
Class 1
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jahjehova(m): 4:10pm On Nov 10, 2013
See attached.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by 234GT(m): 4:19pm On Nov 10, 2013
House, pls how easily can I get a 2000 model benz C280 with manual transmission? I am thinking of getting one in January, and all the C280s I have seen are auto drives. Its my first car and I don't want any auto trans ish for a start.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 5:41pm On Nov 10, 2013
234GT: House, pls how easily can I get a 2000 model benz C280 with manual transmission? I am thinking of getting one in January, and all the C280s I have seen are auto drives. Its my first car and I don't want any auto trans ish for a start.

They are available in manual too, but you need to look outside America markets. They don't have them in manual. Since you have decided to go for a manual try and look for somebody you can trust who can accompany you to Cotonue. The Europeans spec of this car is abound there.
Online owners review has shown that the automatic box of W202 is as robust and reliable as anything. The pre-facelift 4sp box is acclaimed as the best ever to come from MB. The 5sp matted to facelift models too is also reliable.
You can equally feed your eyes here:
Suchen.mobile.de
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by 234GT(m): 7:20pm On Nov 10, 2013
@Ziccoit, thanks a lot. I will just do a thorough search and get the manual trans!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by socrateez(m): 8:54pm On Nov 10, 2013
smartchoice: are you ready to visit Lagos?

Yes. I am ready.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1438970/car-c-only-chills-mornings

for the wireless/keyless entry issue..post ur email addy

socrateez:
Yes. I am ready.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by socrateez(m): 10:53pm On Nov 10, 2013
smartchoice: https://www.nairaland.com/1438970/car-c-only-chills-mornings

for the wireless/keyless entry issue..post ur email addy

goajibade@yahoo.com
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 4:37am On Nov 13, 2013
What will u call me if I walk around a sunny bright day with a flash light( torch light)?

Rly dnt know why its bcome the norm 2 drive around with lamps on all day long what are they looking for?? 'OSAMA'?

And our beloved brand seems 2 be at the front championing this trend with all LED lamps on the new S-class. Which means one can now have his lamps on 24hrs without the thots of running down the battery.

In the North were am from one is quick 2 be referred 2 as a bush fulani( cattle heard's man) for using a torch during the day, I wonder what 2 call this new trend on cars.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by tommysparks: 7:59am On Nov 13, 2013
Gee no kill me with laugh this morning abeg make harmattan no tear my mouth
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 8:35am On Nov 13, 2013
Gee2728. I love the day time running light on cars and suvs oh. I see nothing wrong with that at all because it's a safety feature. It's most times standard in American specs.

@ Tommysparks,for where you see harmatan? which location you dey because Lagos is very hot oh.
Gee2728: What will u call me if I walk around a sunny bright day with a flash light( torch light)?

Rly dnt know why its bcome the norm 2 drive around with lamps on all day long what are they looking for?? 'OSAMA'?

And our beloved brand seems 2 be at the front championing this trend with all LED lamps on the new S-class. Which means one can now have his lamps on 24hrs without the thots of running down the battery.

In the North were am from one is quick 2 be referred 2 as a bush fulani( cattle heard's man) for using a torch during the day, I wonder what 2 call this new trend on cars.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 10:14am On Nov 13, 2013
tommysparks: Gee no kill me with laugh this morning abeg make harmattan no tear my mouth

@ tommy, how man go do. Na de civilized world dey behave like bush man now. How u go dey carry torch light 4 day time.

Guy think am now!!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 10:39am On Nov 13, 2013
Gee2728:

@ tommy, how man go do. Na de civilized world dey behave like bush man now. How u go dey carry torch light 4 day time.

Guy think am now!!

In case of sudden total eclipse of the sun.
Lol!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 13, 2013
ziccoit:

Lol!
LMAO grin

Gee2728: What will u call me if I walk around a sunny bright day with a flash light( torch light)?

Shuooooo :O oboy see vexing o! Oya no vex again I get solution for you. When you buy this new model S class with LED DRL, use that black insulation tape or even duct tape cover the lights make e no for shine again cheesy
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 1:54pm On Nov 13, 2013
I was on a foreign MB forum awhile ago reading different stuffs. A topic caught my attention where the poster, an Albanian, was asking the fellow forumites about how to rollback W202 odometer. When he was challenged he mentioned he just wanted to do it probably to make the car felt younger. He was vehemently condemned by the commenters. Among various comments, this one really cracked my ribs:

"
Hi,
rolling back miles on the W202 is very easy. I saw it on the movie called "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". All you have to do is drive the car backwards, or put it up on jackstands and just keep it driving in reverse. I've been driving in reverse to work for the past year or so. The only difficult thing is learning to drive with the steering wheels in the back. And I've also developed a "crick" in my back... but, hey, it's worth it! "
Lol. . . ...... ! Badt guy.

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 3:38pm On Nov 13, 2013
ziccoit:

Lol!

I think so. As it is now that global warming no dey giv warning again.

Oga u try....... LMAO
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by tommysparks: 8:19pm On Nov 13, 2013
@Eyop. My work pushed me to dutse, jigawa state and d harmattan has arrived
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:10pm On Nov 13, 2013
tommysparks: @Eyop. My work pushed me to dutse, jigawa state and d harmattan has arrived

If ur passing tru kaduna holla @ u guy for area.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 12:16am On Nov 14, 2013
Really! How is Takur? Gidan Dubu, Five Star?

tommysparks: @Eyop. My work pushed me to dutse, jigawa state and d harmattan has arrived

Harmattan there nor get part 2....used to lock myself indoors @ times till 2pm....visibility almost zero, heat fair in the day but heat from the earth @ night could be killing! Dutse....Hope you have a good mech for your Benz over there? And what of parts? But you can also try Jigawa line (Cows n cart) grin cheesy
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 8:24am On Nov 14, 2013
As I promised the house sometimes ago concerning 1997 Mercedes Benz C230/C180 Classic controversy vis-a-vis VIN report and engine picture.
The car has arrived. Very neat inside out except for some little isolated area around the handles by the driver's side showing signs of rust! I wasn't told of this. The agent thought it is nothing!

Honestly, W202 is a beauty, classy and inviting. Very comfortable a ride.

Kindly formally welcome me to W202 club. Lol
Here is the engine pix

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 9:16am On Nov 14, 2013
Bros this your engine is super oh. Congratulations once again,however lets see the body and interior to enable us appreciate it more now wink
ziccoit: As I promised the house sometimes ago concerning 1997 Mercedes Benz C230/C180 Classic controversy vis-a-vis VIN report and engine picture.
The car has arrived. Very neat inside out except for some little isolated area around the handles by the driver's side showing signs of rust! I wasn't told of this. The agent thought it is nothing!

Here is the engine pix
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 4:46pm On Nov 14, 2013
ziccoit: As I promised the house sometimes ago concerning 1997 Mercedes Benz C230/C180 Classic controversy vis-a-vis VIN report and engine picture.

Here is the engine pix

Congratulations my bro... I am welcoming you officially. So please furnish the house with more pics... Interior + exterior + etc.
Twice again... Congratulations! cool
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by benz1x: 7:54pm On Nov 14, 2013
Please my w202 Seniors, I posted some newbie questions pertaining to proper maintenance of the C-Class .

I posted it here https://www.nairaland.com/1438869/revamping-old-car-absolute-restoration#19539518 as that thread is still on the first page and if the questions are answered, it will be easy to refer other newbies to it.

Kindly take a look and help a brother out.

I acquired a W202 C220 Salon with manual transmission. I bought it from someone else and Im trying to treat it the way its meant to be.

Thanks all.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by tommysparks: 8:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
smartchoice: Really! How is Takur? Gidan Dubu, Five Star?

Harmattan there nor get part 2....used to lock myself indoors @ times till 2pm....visibility almost zero, heat fair in the day but heat from the earth @ night could be killing! Dutse....Hope you have a good mech for your Benz over there? And what of parts? But you can also try Jigawa line (Cows n cart) grin cheesy
Mr Smart , surely you are a landlord in dutse but the town is still much as u left it, I fix my c240 in kano and its a major challenge and d jigawa lines ba, more carts and mules are being added to d fleet daily still planning to register them officially as d official haulage company of the state maybe we will stamp d mules with benz logo cos those animals carry more load than a mercedes 911 lorry. @Mr Gee, will surely pm you if am passing by .
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 9:02pm On Nov 14, 2013
benz1x: Please my w202 Seniors, I posted some newbie questions pertaining to proper maintenance of the C-Class . I posted it here https://www.nairaland.com/1438869/revamping-old-car-absolute-restoration#19539518 as that thread is still on the first page and if the questions are answered, it will be easy to refer other newbies to it. Kindly take a look and help a brother out.

I acquired a W202 C220 Salon with manual transmission. I bought it from someone else and Im trying to treat it the way its meant to be. Thanks all.

I'm quoting you verbatim now.

" My newbie questions. As you know, in Nigeria, OEM or manufacturer specific items may not be that easy to find hence the following questions
1) What engine oil to use. I know Mobil 1 but I have not seen any mineral oil of 0w-40, 5w-40 or even 10w-40. I know I should ordinarily use Mobil 1 0w-40 but because of the high mileage of the car 210,000, some are speculating that the oil will be too thin for the engine due to the wear and tear it must have accumulated over time and as a result, leakages will occur. Is there any truth to this or can I just go ahead and use Mobil 1 0w-40. If I cant use Mobil 1, whats the next best available oil for me to use.

2) What coolant to use? This was another controversial topic and I would like to learn from my Seniors in the W202 family what is good enough to run my baby.

3) How often to replace the coolant

4) What brake fluid to use and how often to change it?

5) What steering fluid to use and how often to change it?

6) What Automatic Transmission Fluid to use and how often to change it? (mine is a manual transmission though)

7) What spark plugs to use and how often to change them. Also, what can be used if OEM plugs cannot be found? Can autolite plugs serve as a replacement?

8 ) How often should the MAF be cleaned or changed

9) How often should the fuel filter be changed

10) How often should the throttle body/actuator be cleaned/changed.

11) What are the recommended tire sizes and PSI

12) Anything else I may have left out that is important.

PLEASE NOTE, I LIVE IN BENIN.
Thanks."
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 9:03pm On Nov 14, 2013
Eyop: Bros this your engine is super oh. Congratulations once again,however lets see the body and interior to enable us appreciate it more now wink

I'm coming with that. Thanks chief.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 9:04pm On Nov 14, 2013
aikerism:

Congratulations my bro... I am welcoming you officially. So please furnish the house with more pics... Interior + exterior + etc.
Twice again... Congratulations! cool

Thanks Chief. Sure, very soon.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:03pm On Nov 14, 2013
Abegi carry that your 1pixel Trium camera fone go snap the car now now! cheesy

ziccoit:

Thanks Chief. Sure, very soon.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 3:54am On Nov 15, 2013
smartchoice: Abegi carry that your 1pixel Trium camera fone go snap the car now now! cheesy

Lol. Don't you think I have chosen smartly by going Trium? grin. Na laziness dey catch me. I need my PC, which is not handy now, to re-size those pixs.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 9:36am On Nov 15, 2013
What an elegant look. very neat, and believing same would be of the overall maintenance prior to this pic ....

sold mine and was hoping to buy another of same model but with this exact engine (with electronic throttle) ...... mennn, for where, it was off my budget, even in Cotonou and I was not ready to fly the car.

There were several cars I saw, however, few (just 4) got my attention, they were devoid of rust and it was top of the range....reaching between 2.2m - 2.6m CFA...

I opted for cotonou because I wanted to see and have a choice to pick, two days of very tasking adventure, what kept me out was insufficient cash.

another thing I noticed, it seems our brothers from the northern part of the country have mounted pressure on this range of cars thus driving its price up.

since these assets as cars are transient, even though I needed a replacement for my C-class, I had to settle for a ford Focus.... and that has been another experience for me...

However, just like the old saying of "who fights and run away.... would be ready for it another day".... W202 for me, is undoubtedly a car to settle for, I wont let the little experience I have had with that ride be swept away.... I would sure get one again soon...

nice ride it is..

Here is the engine pix

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.