Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (965165 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by omoakinn: 10:33pm On Dec 27, 2014
Pls urgent I need transmission gear for CLK 350 2006/0 7
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 12:00am On Dec 28, 2014
lungwun:
From this section, it is safe to surmise that Mercedes aren't really reliable at all. All I see posted are issues and issues.

Say it ain't so?
too many issues my brother,
I am forced to stand aloof
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:15am On Dec 28, 2014
yungboss:

Oga park well for your BMW section...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:19am On Dec 28, 2014
Kewt:
Please add me to the Benz family. Thanks in advance. 08037420330.

Number not on whatsapp.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Kewt: 2:09am On Dec 28, 2014
angels09:

Number not on whatsapp.

Number is very much on whatsapp. Please check again!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by omoakinn: 6:13am On Dec 28, 2014
Pls urgent I need transmission gear of CLK 350 2006/07
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jazzlite: 1:36pm On Dec 28, 2014
omoakinn:
Pls urgent I need transmmion gear of CLK 350 2006/07

Oga what exactly are you saying?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by soonpoint(m): 3:50pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pls house. Where can I order for d gear if my 97 e class online for shipment to nigeria at great prices
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jazzlite: 4:36pm On Dec 28, 2014
soonpoint:
Pls house. Where can I order for d gear if my 97 e class online for shipment to nigeria at great prices

Y ship when it's available locally?

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by soonpoint(m): 7:26pm On Dec 28, 2014
[quote author=Jazzlite post=29278182][/quote]

Just want to compare prices....
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2014
yungboss:

Yes any viable car forum is meant to solve issues, that shows that the issues on such cars are understood and can be handled as well(even when such issues arose from owners negligence,careless handling and lack of knowledge) .The more sophisticated they are, the more issues they are bound to get if mishandled.. Indeed the knowledge has to be broadcast to all concerned; unlike some brand whose issues are never known nor could neither be handled by owners neither the manufacturers, hence you see them parked to decay at every compound

So which is better?

I do drive my BENZs a whole year plus without visiting any mechanic nor spare parts dealer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2014
To be frank , how many Benz do you see parked to decay in any compound no matter the year of manufacture nor model? but you cant say same with the BMWs etc

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 1:17am On Dec 29, 2014
auhanson:
To be frank , how many Benz do you see parked to decay in any compound no matter the year of manufacture nor model? but you cant say same with the BMWs etc
it's still obvious that the failure rate is quite high, regardless of whether technical assistance is generous on site. I'm not saying that it must attain military specification but i have read alot about myriad niggles especially in the w203s... My BMWs have been reliable, 2002 330ci (m54 3.0 transplant), and the old horse, 320i 1993. The latter has been driven extensively, that M50 engine is tough i must testify.
you live in Port Harcourt, and im sure you do see the old e30s and e21s running the streets as cabs...
I'm 100% sure BMWs are not as that which you referred, if they park them it means that the owners love their cars and immortalize them, rather than sell. I saw a stretched 1968 Mercedes sometime ago, i approached the seller and he refused to talk about naira/kobo, the owner is a Benz aficionado...i saw number of them, stretched w124, w123 and the 2003 e-class. They were just 'not for sale'.
(...waiting for angels09 to strike)...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:04am On Dec 29, 2014
yungboss:

it's still obvious that the failure rate is quite high, regardless of whether technical assistance is generous on site. I'm not saying that it must attain military specification but i have read alot about myriad niggles especially in the w203s... My BMWs have been reliable, 2002 330ci (m54 3.0 transplant), and the old horse, 320i 1993. The latter has been driven extensively, that M50 engine is tough i must testify.
you live in Port Harcourt, and im sure you do see the old e30s and e21s running the streets as cabs...
I'm 100% sure BMWs are not as that which you referred, if they park them it means that the owners love their cars and immortalize them, rather than sell. I saw a stretched 1968 Mercedes sometime ago, i approached the seller and he refused to talk about naira/kobo, the owner is a Benz aficionado...i saw number of them, stretched w124, w123 and the 2003 e-class. They were just 'not for sale'.
(...waiting for angels09 to strike)...

Your assertion with the w203 failure rate may not be far fetch , but most of the disorderly is as a result of negligence and carelessness, sometimes flood do play a vital role here, and in some cases non conformity to the myriads of rules governing such sophistications and high precision machine needs to be adhered to. You mustn’t use the wrong grade oil on the transmission; you mustn’t by pass wiring and obstruct free flow of electrical signals because they have a control unit that takes care of their readings and regulations. Specific chips are implant in the CU to coordinates and regulates the activities of components which one must not interfere with.

Aside these, common things like maf failures which is predominance in all modern vehicle that dares a bit of such level of sophistication cannot be avoided; even Toyota camry from 2004 have serious reoccurrence maf issues, talkless of the 2007 aka “spider “ that made a complete stride in sophistication, but not without recorded mass failure of electrical component ranging from fuel sending units, steering racks,instrument clusters and all manners of sensors, engine issues etc etc etc and they are far costlier to fix than the BENZs ..So any manufacturer who dares to bite such sophistication must encounter these level of failures..you just need to understand it and handle as required –It is even worst with the BMWs whose issues atimes cannot even be diagnosed and if they are eventually addressed, they must have undergone months of nightmare of surgical transplant at very expensive service centres with either partial or totall swapping of almost every component that has any relationship with the case at stake, just to solve a simple problem. I’m not just making these up , but I have witness a lot of them and wondered whether if one should drive BM one should not do any other thing again with money than fixing them.. One of the serious reasons that keeps me very far at par considering a BMW as my ride because I don’t like to spend money on cars, I run them all year round with cheapest possible but effective maintenance cost. If I cannot DIY my car, and run them at almost zero maintenance cost then there’s no need considering it my ride. But BMW guys would always painfully tell you that such spending Is worth it.

I have nothing against BMWs I love them as a ride and would have love to own them too but for their often embarrassing electricals and very high maintenance cost.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 11:42am On Dec 29, 2014
auhanson:

Your assertion with the w203 failure rate may not be far fetch , but most of the disorderly is as a result of negligence and carelessness, sometimes flood do play a vital role here, and in some cases non conformity to the myriads of rules governing such sophistications and high precision machine needs to be adhered to. You mustn’t use the wrong grade oil on the transmission; you mustn’t by pass wiring and obstruct free flow of electrical signals because they have a control unit that takes care of their readings and regulations. Specific chips are implant in the CU to coordinates and regulates the activities of components which one must not interfere with.

Aside these, common things like maf failures which is predominance in all modern vehicle that dares a bit of such level of sophistication cannot be avoided; even Toyota camry from 2004 have serious reoccurrence maf issues, talkless of the 2007 aka “spider “ that made a complete stride in sophistication, but not without recorded mass failure of electrical component ranging from fuel sending units, steering racks,instrument clusters and all manners of sensors, engine issues etc etc etc and they are far costlier to fix than the BENZs ..So any manufacturer who dares to bite such sophistication must encounter these level of failures..you just need to understand it and handle as required –It is even worst with the BMWs whose issues atimes cannot even be diagnosed and if they are eventually addressed, they must have undergone months of nightmare of surgical transplant at very expensive service centres with either partial or totall swapping of almost every component that has any relationship with the case at stake, just to solve a simple problem. I’m not just making these up , but I have witness a lot of them and wondered whether if one should drive BM one should not do any other thing again with money than fixing them.. One of the serious reasons that keeps me very far at par considering a BMW as my ride because I don’t like to spend money on cars, I run them all year round with cheapest possible but effective maintenance cost. If I cannot DIY my car, and run them at almost zero maintenance cost then there’s no need considering it my ride. But BMW guys would always painfully tell you that such spending Is worth it.

I have nothing against BMWs I love them as a ride and would have love to own them too but for their often embarrassing electricals and very high maintenance cost.

hmmm, BMWs electrical issues? Haha, that's a serious allegation that i can't verify. Been to BMW workshops severally and what you said is quite strange to me. Electrical issues are not a regular failure occurrence in BMWs...i expected to read something like water pump failure, radiator leaks because of plastics used in constructing the cooling system etc...
electrical issues are there but to say to get grounded out of unresolved electrical wahala is a bit exaggerated.
i too love Mercedes, but i used one in the past, and i quickly sold it...i changed so many parts from alternator and still had issues like the instrument cluster lights refusing to go off when the engine is turned off etc...i minimized the issues to the barest before selling and i knew what i went through.
no arguments, I only stated my observation...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 2:23pm On Dec 29, 2014
yungboss:

hmmm, BMWs electrical issues? Haha, that's a serious allegation that i can't verify. Been to BMW workshops severally and what you said is quite strange to me. Electrical issues are not a regular failure occurrence in BMWs...i expected to read something like water pump failure, radiator leaks because of plastics used in constructing the cooling system etc...
electrical issues are there but to say to get grounded out of unresolved electrical wahala is a bit exaggerated.
i too love Mercedes, but i used one in the past, and i quickly sold it...i changed so many parts from alternator and still had issues like the instrument cluster lights refusing to go off when the engine is turned off etc...i minimized the issues to the barest before selling and i knew what i went through.
no arguments, I only stated my observation...

Yungboss, if u bought a car from Nigeria as fairly use, expect the worst. My friend recently bought what I should call a clean(on the surface) Toyota camry 2004 model aka big daddy(Nigerian Use) I know what we pass through to get it just to function fairly, how much more a 20 year old Benz , such a high end vehicle from no maintenance culture Nigerian
I read the stuff behind your benz, not as if it was underpowered as you stated, but the previous owner has already sapped all the useful life out of it without returning any useful maintenance to it prior to your purchase, it happened to me too..Your car in question had lost almost 50% of her power before you bought it initially, you really would have needed a lot of magic to restore such loses just like I did in mine.

Very few Nigerians aside you and I do maintain vehicle the proper way. If I told you that my said benz w202 now boost more than any direct Belgium vehicle, its an understatement-but that is why I’m able to travel with it often, a like today I’m in Calabar for the Christmas yuletide(a distance of 257 km) and would soon move to AKS to Ibene Beach for same reason with same Benz and would return back to Calabar same day and to PH finally when I’m done with the yuletide without her conceiving any headache(we are talking about distance totalling more than 1000km here within a week without replacing a single bolt nor breakpad nor got top burnt..

Yes its no news about substandard plastics within BMW components, that’s why some patrol head diversify into superior after market plastic components, but that is not an issue to me per ser, as over here these are cheap fixes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 7:21pm On Dec 29, 2014
auhanson:

Yungboss, if u bought a car from Nigeria as fairly use, expect the worst. My friend recently bought what I should call a clean(on the surface) Toyota camry 2004 model aka big daddy(Nigerian Use) I know what we pass through to get it just to function fairly, how much more a 20 year old Benz , such a high end vehicle from no maintenance culture Nigerian
I read the stuff behind your benz, not as if it was underpowered as you stated, but the previous owner has already sapped all the useful life out of it without returning any useful maintenance to it prior to your purchase, it happened to me too..Your car in question had lost almost 50% of her power before you bought it initially, you really would have needed a lot of magic to restore such loses just like I did in mine.

Very few Nigerians aside you and I do maintain vehicle the proper way. If I told you that my said benz w202 now boost more than any direct Belgium vehicle, its an understatement-but that is why I’m able to travel with it often, a like today I’m in Calabar for the Christmas yuletide(a distance of 257 km) and would soon move to AKS to Ibene Beach for same reason with same Benz and would return back to Calabar same day and to PH finally when I’m done with the yuletide without her conceiving any headache(we are talking about distance totalling more than 1000km here within a week without replacing a single bolt nor breakpad nor got top burnt..

Yes its no news about substandard plastics within BMW components, that’s why some patrol head diversify into superior after market plastic components, but that is not an issue to me per ser, as over here these are cheap fixes
you are right in a way, the poor output of the c class was as a result of poor maintenance from the erstwhile owner, I'd say the car was (65-70)% healthy upon purchase...
it drove sluggishly from the go, but the top end was very good.
I have an uncle, he has the 528i e39 and the '03 c320. The Benz is a bit more problematic despite how clean the car is, it looks better than the BMW but he likes the former more.
he also had previously, an e34 525i which was awesome to behold. Everything Red inside, from the seats to the floor to the steering wheel/dash.
BMWs no doubt have a temperamental cooling system, I'm due to replace something in the cooling system of my e36, either the Thermos or the water pump...i experienced a little trouble yesterday as the temperature needle traveled eastwards on the gauge, I kept my speed below 60km/h from NTA Road to Trans Amadi. Though I still drove it around, used it to work today...my mechanic would look it up tomorrow.
it's actually different strokes for different folks.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:13pm On Dec 29, 2014
yungboss:

BMWs no doubt have a temperamental cooling system, I'm due to replace something in the cooling system of my e36, either the Thermos or the water pump...i experienced a little trouble yesterday as the temperature needle traveled eastwards on the gauge, I kept my speed below 60km/h from NTA Road to Trans Amadi. Though I still drove it around, used it to work today...my mechanic would look it up tomorrow.
it's actually different strokes for different folks.

Folks do manage this temperamental cooling system with huge success. Before you finally meet your mechanic try bleeding your cooling system first of all and observe it for a while, you may have some dirt or blockade or trap air in there.This bleeding thing usually works for most folks: Procedure is as follows:
Start with the engine cold and Remove the small black bleed screw from the elbow that connects to the expansion tank.

Remove the coolant filler cap

Turn the ignition on but do not start the engine

Turn the climate control to the highest temperature and put the fan on the lowest setting

Slowly pour coolant into the expansion tank until coolant runs out of the bleed screw hole

keep pouring coolant until you no longer see any air bubbles in the coolant coming out of the bleed screw hole

Replace the bleed screw and check the coolant level in the expansion tank

Replace the expansion tank cap and start your car while allowing it idle to normal operating temperature and make sure it doesn't rise above 12

Else off the car and start the process all over again after the car must have cool off before taking it out for test drive. good luck

If this did not work out your mech can then check the following before commencing the process all over again:

Your thermostat to make sure it works properly

Your water pump to make sure it spins freely with no lateral motion or grinding noises

Your air hoses to be sure they are in good shape, no bulging nor cracking at the connections

Your expansion tank/radiator should be check for small crack that could cause leaking

Your expansion tank cap to be sure its not letting pressure escape

It cant exceed these list for your BMW. I like saving bucks on maintenance, you could DIY these if you chose to . I did it once for my w202, tho not exactly as in BMW as indicated here, but the same procedure all the way.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 30, 2014
omoakinn:
Pls urgent I need transmission gear for CLK 350 2006/0 7

Budget 35 to 40k and get the right Benz oil
07033684093 Oliver
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 30, 2014
Demdem:
Morning Guys,

I have really missed a lot no doubt. However i need u guys assistance so that i wont be forced to sell off this baby of mine.
I av a manual drive 2000 CLK 200 Kompressor i love so much but the mass air flowmeter is a problem.
i have changed this component about twice now and currently its not working.
i am ready to pick up another but i want to be sure of what i am buying this time around.
Has anyone experienced what i am currently experiencing? how did u go about it?
Am located in PH.

The MAF is not a straight forward replacement you need to order it online with your vin, or the case of a Toks you might have to test as many as 5 before finding the one that fits.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 30, 2014
soonpoint:

Just want to compare prices....

With heavy parts like that Importing cost more the 97 w210 should be using a cable gear and should be less than 30k.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Demdem(m): 8:17am On Dec 30, 2014
cne010:

The MAF is not a straight forward replacement you need to order it online with your vin, or the case of a Toks you might have to test as many as 5 before finding the one that fits.

Please kindly shed more light on the websites I need to go to order it. Will appreciate it.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 9:18am On Dec 30, 2014
auhanson:

Folks do manage this temperamental cooling system with huge success. Before you finally meet your mechanic try bleeding your cooling system first of all and observe it for a while, you may have some dirt or blockade or trap air in there.This bleeding thing usually works for most folks: Procedure is as follows:
Start with the engine cold and Remove the small black bleed screw from the elbow that connects to the expansion tank.

Remove the coolant filler cap

Turn the ignition on but do not start the engine

Turn the climate control to the highest temperature and put the fan on the lowest setting

Slowly pour coolant into the expansion tank until coolant runs out of the bleed screw hole

keep pouring coolant until you no longer see any air bubbles in the coolant coming out of the bleed screw hole

Replace the bleed screw and check the coolant level in the expansion tank

Replace the expansion tank cap and start your car while allowing it idle to normal operating temperature and make sure it doesn't rise above 12

Else off the car and start the process all over again after the car must have cool off before taking it out for test drive. good luck

If this did not work out your mech can then check the following before commencing the process all over again:

Your thermostat to make sure it works properly

Your water pump to make sure it spins freely with no lateral motion or grinding noises

Your air hoses to be sure they are in good shape, no bulging nor cracking at the connections

Your expansion tank/radiator should be check for small crack that could cause leaking

Your expansion tank cap to be sure its not letting pressure escape

It cant exceed these list for your BMW. I like saving bucks on maintenance, you could DIY these if you chose to . I did it once for my w202, tho not exactly as in BMW as indicated here, but the same procedure all the way.
thanks bro,
I bled the system when I got home after it happened, I first allowed it cool off...
I continually streamed water into it, allowed the bubbles go off from the bleed hole. I did as required by BMW, just as how you stated but temperature goes above normal after a lengthy drive, hence my conclusion.
there's no leak in the radiator, the thermostat housing I had changed long before now from plastic to after-market aluminum, I suspect the thermostat or the H²0 pump...besides, the car doesn't run short of coolant. Its still at the required mark.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 30, 2014
Demdem:

Please kindly shed more light on the websites I need to go to order it. Will appreciate it.

www.autohausaz.com
http://www.rmeuropean.com/mercedes-parts.aspx#Group

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 6:58pm On Dec 30, 2014
yungboss:

thanks bro,
I bled the system when I got home after it happened, I first allowed it cool off...
I continually streamed water into it, allowed the bubbles go off from the bleed hole. I did as required by BMW, just as how you stated but temperature goes above normal after a lengthy drive, hence my conclusion.
there's no leak in the radiator, the thermostat housing I had changed long before now from plastic to after-market aluminum, I suspect the thermostat or the H²0 pump...besides, the car doesn't run short of coolant. Its still at the required mark.

If you check your water pump and it spins freely with no lateral motion or kind of grinding noises then the culprit is your thermostat. You could equally confirm it by removing to test too before embarking to buy a new one to replace it if you haven't done so already. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 10:05pm On Dec 30, 2014
auhanson:

If you check your water pump and it spins freely with no lateral motion or kind of grinding noises then the culprit is your thermostat. You could equally confirm it by removing to test too before embarking to buy a new one to replace it if you haven't done so already. Good luck
I haven't done so, its been over a year since I changed the 'stat. I'll be replacing it however considering preventive maintenance.
I'll retain the 71°c as this reduces thermal stress in the engine. I think its wahler.
I strongly suspect the H²0 pump...there are subtle pointers...
i'm sorry for hijacking the Mercedes thread, I know this ought to be in the BMW's...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 30, 2014
@yungboss angels don't just strike
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by thug: 12:55pm On Dec 31, 2014
I would like to be added on the Mercedes Benz Whatsapp platform, my number is 08037472841
Thank you.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by vicot(m): 6:16pm On Dec 31, 2014
plz,i need pics of Benz C class
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 7:13pm On Dec 31, 2014
vicot:

And what happened to www.Google.com
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Kewt: 7:16pm On Dec 31, 2014
vicot:

What year? And what model ie Kompressor, 4matic or the normal one? which do you want? You can get any of this from Google!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 01, 2015
thug:
I would like to be added on the Mercedes Benz Whatsapp platform, my number is 08037472841
Thank you.

Added

Eyop compliments of the season... Miss our tête a tête

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.