Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (963143 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 31, 2015
cne010:

Getting a Toks MAF for the w203 isn't a direct fix you would keep trying many till you find a compatible one with your car. And it cost about 8 to 10k for a toks W203 so the w202 should be a lot cheaper than that.

Thanks bro.

What about the fender and bonnet
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by mdenigma(m): 10:39pm On Jan 31, 2015
Good evn merc enthusiasts. I've developed keen interest in this brand.I'm in the process of trading in my 08 lexus es 350 for an 03 benz e500. I want more power but not at the expense of peace of mind. Lexus has been faithful but I'm being attracted to this brand. I rarely see E500's on Naija roads. Guys your sound counsel is all I need.thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 31, 2015
mdenigma:

Good evn merc enthusiasts. I've developed keen interest in this brand.I'm in the process of trading in my 08 lexus es 350 for an 03 benz e500. I want more power but not at the expense of peace of mind. Lexus has been faithful but I'm being attracted to this brand. I rarely see E500's on Naija roads. Guys your sound counsel is all I need.thanks

I want to assume you don't stay in lagos they are tons of E500 and E550 on the road and I would advice you get anything from the 2006 E class cos Benz stopped using the SBC and back to ABS the SBC can be very expensive to fix when it goes bad. Truly if you want more power coming from the ES 350 you have to step up to the E500 cos the V6 in that Lexus ES350 is pretty powerful. The E500 doesn't ride on the normal spring suspension it rides on the Airmatic Shocks i.e Air Shocks so you would be gliding over bad roads and won't even notice but the luxury comes at a price it's also an expensive fix if they go bad. So get ready.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jan 31, 2015
aguiyi:

Thanks bro.

What about the fender and bonnet

I think you should call chucks 0803 074 5279 to give you a quote on those he is in trinity in Lagos and guess you're in PH

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by mdenigma(m): 12:20am On Feb 01, 2015
cne010:

I want to assume you don't stay in lagos they are tons of E500 and E550 on the road and I would advice you get anything from the 2006 E class cos Benz stopped using the SBC and back to ABS the SBC can be very expensive to fix when it goes bad. Truly if you want more power coming from the ES 350 you have to step up to the E500 cos the V6 in that Lexus ES350 is pretty powerful. The E500 doesn't ride on the normal spring suspension it rides on the Airmatic Shocks i.e Air Shocks so you would be gliding over bad roads and won't even notice but the luxury comes at a price it's also an expensive fix if they go bad. So get ready.

Many thanks bro. You're right. I don't stay in Lagos. You rightly guessed my concerns. How reliable are the air shocks. How much do they go for. can they be replaced with springs when they go bad. How about the electricals, does the wire harness go bad like it does in some models. How reliable is the the V8. Lastly, can u suggest any less expensive to maintain but agile Benz. Ive gotten used to the luxury Lexus offers ; grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 01, 2015
cne010:

I think you should call chucks 0803 074 5279 to give you a quote on those he is in trinity in Lagos and guess you're in PH

Yeah
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:26am On Feb 01, 2015
mdenigma:

Many thanks bro. You're right. I don't stay in Lagos. You rightly guessed my concerns. How reliable are the air shocks. How much do they go for. can they be replaced with springs when they go bad. How about the electricals, does the wire harness go bad like it does in some models. How reliable is the the V8. Lastly, can u suggest any less expensive to maintain but agile Benz. Ive gotten used to the luxury Lexus offers ; grin

Sure you could convert them to springs Infact most people do, I think I might do the same when I get a V8 as well cos I really drive hard can't be paying more for fuel at the gas pump and suffer expensive shocks replacements Hell NO. My Mechanic has a E550 and only the front right happens to have been bad in almost 2 years if you see the car when it's bad you go pity am cos it would sit so low when you start it the car would struggle to lift aside the shocks going back the pump that pumps the suspension can also sign out as well my brother luxury comes at a price. My first ride is a S550 I can never forget it we passed a road that was just recently patched and the car glided all through I was like if Na my w203 we would be hearing bang clicklty bang. Back to my story they last long depends on how you drive. Sadly abroad they are cheaper to fix "Arnott" replacement shocks goes for about $500 to $700" for one and they have a life time warranty if they go bad they would take the bad one and give you a new one. They cost a little above 150k for the OEM here

FYI the OEM would cost more than the Arnott
Prices were gotten from: Autohausaz.com

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by skj1377(m): 9:04am On Feb 01, 2015
cne010:

The said transmission is less that 50k in Naija why spend so much importing it.

That is not the price ask from ladipo 2007 6cyl 5speed auto gearbox if you get it at all you would know N50k is a far cry. The 4 speed gearbox might be N50k that one is not compatible with 2007 model
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by skj1377(m): 9:48am On Feb 01, 2015
cne010:

I want to assume you don't stay in lagos they are tons of E500 and E550 on the road and I would advice you get anything from the 2006 E class cos Benz stopped using the SBC and back to ABS the SBC can be very expensive to fix when it goes bad. Truly if you want more power coming from the ES 350 you have to step up to the E500 cos the V6 in that Lexus ES350 is pretty powerful. The E500 doesn't ride on the normal spring suspension it rides on the Airmatic Shocks i.e Air Shocks so you
would be gliding over bad roads and won't even notice but the luxury comes at a price it's also an expensive fix if they go bad. So get ready.
The sbs costs N125 k to fix secondly it has a counter 300,000 thousand times brake press. You need to buy a c3 scanner to avoid wrong diagnosis finally the car is v8 and you need to service with mobil one always thats like N16k. The air shocks on my S430 cost me N25 k for the right front and N15k for the right back. The airpump on my car is weak so i need to change it but a friend told me to fill the pump piston with some filler that will cost N2k. The cost of running my benz is ok i service once in six months luxury is super very fast i drive 230kmph with ac on some times . I do laser alignment and wheel balancing once i travel say 10 00km or more (bad roads) that costs me N4k in all. But pls stay with your lexus or add money and get 2008 E class.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by mdenigma(m): 1:34pm On Feb 01, 2015
skj1377:

The sbs costs N125 k to fix secondly it has a counter 300,000 thousand times brake press. You need to buy a c3 scanner to avoid wrong diagnosis finally the car is v8 and you need to service with mobil one always thats like N16k. The air shocks on my S430 cost me N25 k for the right front and N15k for the right back. The airpump on my car is weak so i need to change it but a friend told me to fill the pump piston with some filler that will cost N2k. The cost of running my benz is ok i service once in six months luxury is super very fast i drive 230kmph with ac on some times . I do laser alignment and wheel balancing once i travel say 10 00km or more (bad roads) that costs me N4k in all. But pls stay with your lexus or add money and get 2008 E class.

Hmmm. So its gonna be lexus till I'm buoyant enough to foot the kind of bills I'm seeing here. Truth be told, on a good stretch of asphalt I've been able to give many a benz a run for their money. Definitely my next whip is gonna be an E class. Till then I remain a diligent student. Thanks guys
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by snowpe(m): 2:27pm On Feb 01, 2015
Please house i need your advise am about changing my car to a benz and i saw a 2001 c200 kompressor and a 2004 c320.considering the engines are different which should i go for?i have never owned a benz b4 just that i used to drive my dad own.Help me not to make a mistake.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 01, 2015
snowpe:
Please house i need your advise am about changing my car to a benz and i saw a 2001 c200 kompressor and a 2004 c320.considering the engines are different which should i go for?i have never owned a benz b4 just that i used to drive my dad own.Help me not to make a mistake.

Changing your car to a Benz? What car do you used to have?

Do you have a good Benz mechanic around? Believe the average Japanese car mechanic would sometimes needs a start scanner sometimesz

Go for the C200 if you want economy with a little bit of performance.

Go for the C320 if you're not bothered about the N10 change GEJ gave on fuel and your love power and you drive like you stole your car lol. If you're former car was a V6 then the C320 is for you.

Most of all do a Vin check make sure you're not buying a lemon or an accidented car.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by snowpe(m): 4:10pm On Feb 01, 2015
cne010:

Do you have a good Benz mechanic around? Believe the average Japanese car mechanic would sometimes needs a start scanner sometimesz

Go for the C320 if you're not bothered about the N10 change GEJ gave on fuel and your love power and you drive like you stole your car lol. If you're former car was a V6 then the C320 is for you.

Most of all do a Vin check make sure you're not buying a lemon or an accidented car.
my old car is a camry 2002,and i love power and speed.if may ask is c200 not full of power and performance like others?as for a good benz mechanic i dont of any in ilorin where i reside.more advice needed on the differences btw the engines of the c200 and the c320.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 01, 2015
snowpe:
my old car is a camry 2002,and i love power and speed.if may ask is c200 not full of power and performance like others?as for a good benz mechanic i dont of any in ilorin where i reside.more advice needed on the differences btw the engines of the c200 and the c320.

Yes the C200 is a 4 plugs.
The C230 is a v6
I will advice the c230 Kompressor 4plugs with a turbo that's also powerful so you can get good fuel economy and power
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by snowpe(m): 7:19pm On Feb 01, 2015
cne010:

at cne010 a friend of mine told me that the complete engine of the C200 is expensive compare to that of C320.also that the C200 does not have balance on the road like the C320.what other difference do you think is important for me to note.please what do you mean by a lemon car?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 01, 2015
snowpe:
at cne010 a friend of mine told me that the complete engine of the C200 is expensive compare to that of C320.also that the C200 does not have balance on the road like the C320.what other difference do you think is important for me to note.please what do you mean by a lemon car?

C320 is a V6 and its the smoothest in the line of engines for the C class W203 from the staple of merc. C180, 200, are 4 cylinders and they're small volumetric displacement engines.

Do you wish to buy a car and hope the engine goes bad soon due to poor maintenance culture?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by snowpe(m): 8:57pm On Feb 01, 2015
C320 is a V6 and its the smoothest in the line of engines for the C class W203 from the staple of merc. C180, 200, are 4 cylinders and they're small volumetric displacement engines.

Do you wish to buy a car and hope the engine goes bad soon due to poor maintenance culture?

[/quote]i dont pray for my engine to get bad soon,just that am being careful cos the C200 is from a friend,whereas the C320 is direct tokunboh.so am just being careful and inquisitive.also i may confess am a rough and rugged driver.so i better be knowlegdable in what am about going into cos i have not owned a benz before.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by snowpe(m): 8:59pm On Feb 01, 2015
I dont pray for my engine to get bad soon,just that am being careful cos the C200 is from a friend,whereas the C320 is direct tokunboh.so am just being careful and inquisitive.also i may confess am a rough and rugged driver.so i better be knowlegdable in what am about going into cos i have not owned a benz before.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 10:26pm On Feb 01, 2015
cne010:

I have gotten a bonnet from ikokwu for 9k and fender for 4k. It probably would have been cheaper if not that it was a Sunday .

Am yet to get the air filter or maf or whatever it's called, engine goes while driving and picks up very slowly causing delays on the road for other road users

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:34pm On Feb 01, 2015
aguiyi:

I have gotten a bonnet from ikokwu for 9k and fender for 4k. It probably would have been cheaper if not that it was a Sunday .

Am yet to get the air filter or maf or whatever it's called, engine goes while driving and picks up very slowly causing delays on the road for other road users

Good to know you're making progress, try to get the MAF so you can start enjoying your baby.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:37pm On Feb 01, 2015
snowpe:
I dont pray for my engine to get bad soon,just that am being careful cos the C200 is from a friend,whereas the C320 is direct tokunboh.so am just being careful and inquisitive.also i may confess am a rough and rugged driver.so i better be knowlegdable in what am about going into cos i have not owned a benz before.

If you maintain your engine well and you can read with a Benz you won't have a problem. The car tells you when the coolant and oil is low. Preventive maintenance is necessary with a Benz you don't have to wait for it break down and I thought the engines were about the same price. If those are your fears then get the V6 since its a direct Toks but it would be more expensive than the naija used that way you would be sure it hasn't been abused here.

FYI a lemon means an accident car that was fixed and it's been sold as a clean car, most accidented cars are not always properly fixed cos the dealer would be trying to make more money by cutting corners
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:10am On Feb 02, 2015
cne010:

Good to know you're making progress, try to get the MAF so you can start enjoying your baby.

sure i will, day job is not letting me have time. Saturdays and Sundays is all i have got for personal stuffs.

i had a funny experience that Sunday sha, the panel beater i left my car with in Benin did not only change my battery and other stuffs, they changed my car stereo. i was playing it on the day of the accident and personally offed it without any issues. when i was heading to ph, i removed only the face leaving the engine. but when i came back to pick the car, my wheel spanner was gone, 2 tires were changed with very old ones, i noticed the 2 bolts were removed from each of the 4 tires and it was still looking like a recent art.

in the cause of trying to get the radio to work, the rewire connected a wire from the radio to somewhere under the steering , the next thing i saw was smoke everywhere. he said a wire bridged , we qucikly removed the battery head and had the wires untangled. will get a brand new car radio by weekend.

i noticed my temperature is hovering between 27 and 40 degrees, guess i need to change the thermostat in view of au.hanson post on page 8 of this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180-w202s-general/8 as regards temperature and engine performance .

i was told my car does not use a MAF that i should get the complete air filter box that i will be fine, the guys dont open on sunday so i could not get it.

pls i need advice so i dont goof , am still new with BENZ and would need the bext out of it
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 04, 2015
@aguiyi how is work going with the car? Don't you think you need to arrest that mechanic?

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:52am On Feb 04, 2015
cne010:
@aguiyi how is work going with the car? Don't you think you need to arrest that mechanic?

heheheheh. i live him to God, he will hear from him but would not know what his offence was. my mistake was leaving the car at their workshop for over a month.

those cars you see at mechanic workshops may never leave their the way they got there. they are source of parts for those thieving mechanic.

till Saturday sha. i only need the air-filter , thermostat and tires for now. the rewire was able to trace the bridged wire that was draining my battery.

a guy gave me a ride this morning in his 190 and i was quick to see the reading of his car temperature guage (70 degrees) my c180 is presently reading 25 degrees . i will update you on sunday.

i really appreciate this thread. mechanics will not catch me mugu again

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 04, 2015
aguiyi:

heheheheh. i live him to God, he will hear from him but would not know what his offence was. my mistake was leaving the car at their workshop for over a month...
...mechanics will not catch me mugu again
angry Sorry about your experience. Those mechanics can be very terrible.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Raheem2386: 10:25am On Feb 06, 2015
Morning my elders, I recently got a w203 and I'm happy to have come across this thread, God bless u all. Pls can I be added to the whatsapp group---08179889931, thanks.

I had an experience at work yesterday, as security wash motor finish motor no gree start oh! I now told him to open the hood make sun nack the motor head and tried to get a mechanic after like an hour as mechanic reach the car came on after making some clicking sounds without his intervention sef. Now, going through the thread I saw some masters in the house telling w203 users/intending buyers to be wary of flood. So now we no go wash motor be that? Particularly the engine? All those car wash we dey spray under motor make we run from them?
Thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by mejai(m): 12:24pm On Feb 06, 2015
Coefficient:

Thank You!
how far? did u reach him?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Coefficient(m): 1:25pm On Feb 06, 2015
mejai:
how far? did u reach him?

Yea I did. I was there last week Saturday for servicing. Didn't even know it was close by.

Thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 06, 2015
@raheem I would advise you check your ECU it is enclosed in a box and if water gets in it stays there.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by mejai(m): 4:19pm On Feb 06, 2015
Coefficient:

Yea I did. I was there last week Saturday for servicing. Didn't even know it was close by.

Thanks
OK. u welcome
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Raheem2386: 12:26am On Feb 08, 2015
cne010:
@raheem I would advise you check your ECU it is enclosed in a box and if water gets in it stays there.
tnx bros
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by DePrynCe: 5:28pm On Feb 08, 2015
For a starts,pls how much can I get a benz 190 E series 1983 model. Direct Tokumbo with a leather seat and a factory fitted ac,automatic. Pls!

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.