Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,899 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive (4958 Views)

Policeman Spotted At The Back Of Danfo In Lagos / Policeman Tries To Stop A Moving Tanker By Climbing In Through The Window / Policeman Orders Woman To Bare Her Breast In Public Or Be Arrested (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 27, 2010
An average Nigerian policeman is aggressive and over-zealous due ostensibly to the harsh environment as well as the psychological stress he is subjected to, SUNDAY PUNCH investigations have shown.

The disclosure is coming just as seven of every 10 policemen in the country may not have for many years observed their annual vacation, even as they work round the clock without being paid any special allowances.

The psychological stress, our correspondent gathered, affect both the junior and senior cadres as they all work under the same hostile condition.

According to a cross section of policemen who spoke with our correspondent in Abuja, they work under frustrating environment which has little room for self-expression or personal development.

A Police Inspector, who craved anonymity for the security of his career, said he had been on the same rank for over six years, while some of his colleagues who allegedly knew influential politicians had been promoted above him.

He explained that they worked under serious strain, adding that some of them were even forced to work for three days consecutively without being allowed to go home to refresh or change their uniforms.

This, he attributed for the antagonistic and over-zealous character of some of his colleagues, particularly those in the rank and file who could not cope with the work pressure and the psychological trauma they face.

”Police officers are not finding it rosy because we work under a difficult environment where you have to go to great lengths to get basic things done and Nigerians are not making it easy for us. When a police officer is antagonistic, he might also be reacting to what people do when he issues an instruction. An officer working under serious pressure cannot be expected to joke with you if you disregard his directive and argue with him. To argue with policemen is akin to calling them idiots; don‘t do that,” he warned.

A Corporal who joined the Force about six years ago said he had never gone on annual vacation, adding that the service did not give officers such privilege.

Some of his colleagues who wanted to get married, he said, were given a few days to conduct the marriage and report back for duty and they had to show their the wedding invitation cards to convince senior officers about the genuineness of their requests.

A Deputy Superintendent of Police who lamented the negative effects this had on productivity and mental health, pointed out the difference in attitude of police officers who have taken part in peace support operations of the United Nations and those who have not travelled outside the country‘s shores in terms of disposition to work, human relations, respect for the public and responsiveness to security matters.

Many of such police personnel who returned to the country from peace support operations in Liberia, Somalia, Haiti, Sudan, East Timor and elsewhere, he added, were more approachable and disciplined on account of the positive environment created by the UN under which they served.

He said ,”When a police officer with the peace support operation works for 30 days, he gets a compulsory time off for six days and he gets his allowance without any delay. Many police officers have worked for several years without annual leave and this would naturally affect their performance, productivity, psychology and attitude to the public.”

The Deputy Force Public Relations Officer, Yemi Ajayi, however, said there was no deliberate policy preventing policemen from taking annual leave, adding that the Force gave its personnel opportunity at the beginning of every year to fill in their schedule and proposed time for vacation.

But the exigency of duty like elections or emergency security issues might prevent an officer from enjoying his deserved leave, he added, stressing that some policemen did go on leave once their application was approved.

Commenting, the President, Nigerian Association of Clinical Psychologists, Prof. Peter Ebigbo, said the nation should learn to treat its law enforcement agents with respect.

Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 27, 2010
Six on one shocked
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by chamber2(m): 12:38pm On Sep 27, 2010
Nigerian policemen r as aggressive as lion.A situation where pple without school cert r made to join the force what do u expect. Six armed policemen bouncing on one unarmed civilian,its really laughable.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by otokx(m): 12:46pm On Sep 27, 2010
The average Nigerian policeman is aggressive because the average Nigerian is aggressive.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by noblecomms(m): 12:49pm On Sep 27, 2010
IS BECAUSE OF CORRUPTION IN ALL SYSTEM  IN NIGERIA.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by usbcable(m): 12:49pm On Sep 27, 2010
They are at times agressive due to inferiority complex or sometimes due to their level of education
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by 27(m): 12:57pm On Sep 27, 2010
Like Arrigo Sacchi said of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, they are  ", strong against the weak and weak against the strong."
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by slap1(m): 12:59pm On Sep 27, 2010
otokx:

The average Nigerian policeman is aggressive because the average Nigerian is aggressive.
Witty but silly. The average Nigerian is not aggressive.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by netotse(m): 1:02pm On Sep 27, 2010
slap1:

from er'thing you've seen on NL you still believe the average nigerian is not aggressive? berra go and ask them to stop calling your name in your village o(if that isn't aggressive tell me what is cheesy grin tongue)
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by oludashmi(f): 1:05pm On Sep 27, 2010
usbcable:

They are at times agressive due to inferiority complex or sometimes due to their level of education
2 good points.
Also cos they have lost their sanity or how can 6 armed men bounce on 1 unarmed man = insanity
And many more.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by VALIDATOR: 1:07pm On Sep 27, 2010
otokx:

slap1:

The average Nigerian is definitely aggressive. I guess you are so used to it that you consider many of Nigerians' actions normal.
Look !!  the bold part  in your post is a display of aggression. Habba ! To a very simple response from the dude.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by kessiah: 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2010
Police men are aggressive just because when they look at your status and the way you(Poor) are they will intimidate you, but if you are Rich you dont remember police men because they will be like dogs who are meant to protect and serve you
just click the link below and you will forget police intimidation
www.Learntheeasiestmoneysecret..com
Enjoy like me
thanks
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by kolexy22: 1:25pm On Sep 27, 2010
Why won't they be aggressive when they are full of frustration and the level of their education is not even up to OND level. You should expect such from them.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by breathless(m): 1:27pm On Sep 27, 2010
The average 9ja Olopa is a potential WEAPON OF MASS DISTRUCTION. "Press" the wrong button, blood will flow and splashed on the pages of newspaper.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by adonisgold: 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2010
Maybe the ''beateee'' is ''Boko Haram''.  grin
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by felifeli: 1:43pm On Sep 27, 2010
See typical Nigerians. Two-faced people. Ordinary policeman go ask them simple question now for London them go begin piss for trouser ?
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by fender(m): 1:48pm On Sep 27, 2010
kolexy22:

Why won't they be aggressive when they are full of frustration and the level of their education is not even up to OND level. You should expect such from them.

Question answered. End of story!
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by VALIDATOR: 2:06pm On Sep 27, 2010
^^^
You do not need up to OND to be a good cop.
The simple reason why they are aggressive is that they are Nigerians taken from a pool of Nigerians who are aggressive by default.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by seyibrown(f): 2:11pm On Sep 27, 2010
:-x
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by kokoye(m): 2:38pm On Sep 27, 2010
They are aggressive cos no one is checking them. simple.

If there is an arm that ensures that the public is treated with respect and their laws are enforced, none of these would happen. But no one cares in naija, you can see people standing my in the pix and enjoying the show. cry

Samething happens when naijas come to the western world - they abide by all their rules. But when they return to naija . . who cares what you do as long you got money?
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by bintab(f): 2:39pm On Sep 27, 2010
otokx:

Exactly.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by kelvin(m): 2:44pm On Sep 27, 2010
The problem starts with the selection and recruitment process. I think the bar should be raised a little higher, not based on education but intellectual and moral maturity.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by Princek12(m): 2:53pm On Sep 27, 2010
kelvin:

The problem starts with the selection and recruitment process. I think the bar should be raised a little higher, not based on education but intellectual and moral maturity.

how do you measure intellectual and moral maturity without using education? Propose a measure that can be used to determine intellectual and moral maturity?
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by labiyemmy(m): 3:03pm On Sep 27, 2010
You people havent gone out of Nigeria?

Which police man/woman is not agreesive?

A police man stops you in the UK and the next thing he does is to shout at you - I have experienced this personally.

Wherever you go -police men are agreesive people.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by sessy2(f): 3:20pm On Sep 27, 2010
netotse:

from er'thing you've seen on NL you still believe the average nigerian is not aggressive? berra go and ask them to stop calling your name in your village o(if that isn't aggressive tell me what is cheesy grin tongue)
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by Kashif(m): 3:31pm On Sep 27, 2010
All of them here are idiots and oppressors!! If I have my way, they will all be dead. I don't have any pity when I hear that a policeman has been killed tongue The worst are those regular, mentally retarded ones in all black. I HATE THE NIGERIAN POLICE! If I have problem, they are the last I'll call.

What the hell is wrong with them?! angry
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by Reference(m): 3:44pm On Sep 27, 2010
Then what should farmers and miners, petty traders and tanker drivers (to mention a few) do. Have you examined the environment in which they work. The problem with all armed and paramilitary services is TRADOC - Training and Doctrine. Their service manuals would make good reading for pre-independence historians when the colonial masters used them to surpress rather than serve the interests of the public. They remained tools in the hands of the old independent feudal Nigeria aristocracy that hopefully ended in 1999. They are not suffering in conditions worse than the average civil servant for the qualifications they possess and the tasks required of them. The best endowed police force in the world barely makes the middle class. That is why it is called a service, they pay a subsidy on our existence, not seeking a way to milk it. If they want to live comfy in the present state of this nation they then have to partake in the crime they have sworn to check. If they want a better country then they are the sharp end of the stick in ensuring it happens by serving. They have nothing to complain about if they walk barefooted when provisions have been made. What laws stops them from arresting their bosses, none, but will they?. That is why these organisations have become very attractive to (I'm so sorry to say) the criminally minded who seeks a quick buck. And everyone of them wants that pre-independence doctrine that makes the public your sworn enemy. That is why they all without exception wear uniforms, march around like soldiers and seek to bear arms. Tell me why organisations like the FRSC, LASTMA and even the immigration service act like soldiers in service. To intimidate and exploit the public of course. I bet if we had a functional fire and ambulance service they too will have parade grounds and peak caps.
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by tellwisdom: 3:55pm On Sep 27, 2010
Its not unusual of our Police force, i myself was thoroughly harassed some days ago, by police touts raiding illegal on the street, after identifying myself with my I.D cARD at hand, the ceased to listen only but to bundle my ass to their vehicle.

Im yet to report these fools, any useful information of whom to contact, would really be appreciated
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by Ericology(m): 3:55pm On Sep 27, 2010
@labiyemmy:

You people havent gone out of Nigeria?

Which police man/woman is not agreesive?

A police man stops you in the UK and the next thing he does is to shout at you - I have experienced this personally.

Wherever you go -police men are agreesive people.

Labiyemi, u r just spitting nonsense, policemen in the western world are never aggressive unless there is an act of disobedience from who's being accosted, however there are isolated cases of such but they rarely happen,   Here in the west a policeman stops you and demands for ur papers---u hand them over to him,, he goes through them,,, they are ok,----  THATS THE END OF THE STORY UNLESS U HAVE AN ALERT ON YOUR DOCUMENTS---  pls dont compare heaven and hell cuz of patriotism
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 27, 2010
What else do you expect when the average Nigerian policeman is poorly remunerated. Look at them here:

Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by labiyemmy(m): 4:05pm On Sep 27, 2010
^^^^^Ericology

Are you a policeman? Or na your papa get all the policemen in the western world that you come here to defend? Which nonsense have i said? If you hate anything Nigerian and love everything foreign - not all of us think like that. Dont tell me the story i know. An average policeman is aggressive- no matter what you want to say.

We see them daily on the streets here - ten policemen in their bus will swoop on the scene for a mere traffic violation - come on - dont paint what we know is the truth. Nonsense.

Policemen in the west are not aggressive my foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKYsX9BhfZk&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h15ThbqP_pU&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOahMPHDdHs&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NveOZAwhet8&feature=fvw

You want more?
Re: Why Average Policeman Is Aggressive by denony(m): 4:07pm On Sep 27, 2010
because the recruitment was based on your muscle not ur inteligent
U will see once an AGBERO got recruited to police force, what do u expect?

Our police Force is filled with hungry men and women, so why wount they be aggresive?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Ways To Promote Your Business Online / Nicetohave Or Goodguy? Choose One? / Richyblack Dont Ever Send Me This Kind Of Message Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.